Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Unreal_One posted:

Here's my technical engineering drawing of what happens. T1, the artillery train fires from a railway spur. T2, the train has gotten to a junction as the shell hits the biters. T3, the biters arrive at the junction to attack the long gone train.

Yes, this is 100% what happened. I don't recall how I figured it out since it was a couple of months ago, and I suppose may have gotten fixed by now. Maybe I'll try to record a video and see if I can duplicate it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its because when the shell hits, that counts as damage done by the artillery wagon. Biters agro on the wagon and go to its last known location (which is the location it was at the moment it first drew agro). Trains gone, so they eat the rails as biters are wont to do.

No it doesn't make sense that biters know where the sky fire is coming from at all.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

M_Gargantua posted:

Its because when the shell hits, that counts as damage done by the artillery wagon. Biters agro on the wagon and go to its last known location (which is the location it was at the moment it first drew agro). Trains gone, so they eat the rails as biters are wont to do.

No it doesn't make sense that biters know where the sky fire is coming from at all.

For that matter, how do they know where the pollution is coming from?

I suppose this could be explained as them being a hive mind and they can communicate with members of the swarm who aren't in the pollution cloud, so they head the other way... still doesn't explain how they magically beeline to whatever offended them.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I wonder if it's just an oversight because they extended the logic for turrets (run at the thing hurting me) but ignored that arty trains aren't buildings, and are usually outside of hearing range. You could make up some justification about them knowing what direction artillery comes from at least like vibrations or hearing the direction the fairly slow shell came from. Hell, i think the pollution attack logic in general only really makes top-down, stochastic sense rather than being ground-up versimilitudinousifiable.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Pollution makes sense with one word: smell.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm very concerned about the realism of the game that lets me carry hundreds of buildings and thousands of tons of materials on my character.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The monster knows where you are at all times. It knows this because it knows where you aren’t. By subtracting where you are from where you aren’t, or where you aren’t from where you are, whichever is greater, it obtains a difference or deviation. The pathing subsystem uses deviations to create corrective commands to drive the monster from a position where it is to a position where it isn’t, and arriving at a position it wasn’t it now is. Consequently the position where it is was is now the position where it wasn’t, and it follows that the position where it was is a position where you weren’t. In the event that the position you are in is not the position the monster wasn’t, the system has acquired a variation. The variation being the difference between where the monster was and where you weren’t. If variation is considered a significant factor it too may be corrected with the path finding, however the monster must know where it was. The monster pathfinding works as follows: because a variation has modified some of the information it has obtained it is not sure just where you are, however it is sure where you aren’t, within reason, and knows where it was. It now subtracts where you should be from where it wasn’t, or Vice versa, and by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of where you shouldn’t be and where it was, it is able to obtain its deviation and variation which is called error.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

:golfclap:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I decided I wanted a bit of a threat, any threat, so I decided to start a new game with default settings. Had a decent sized biter nest overlooking the only nearby iron deposit so they were on my rear end from the word go. but I eventually purged them and everything else in a sizeable radius of my base, so welcome to New Mess!

taking what I learned from my previous excursion, I made it to right before needing to advance to blue science juice in only a couple hours. I also learned that Medium Worms are bastards.

KillHour posted:

I'm very concerned about the realism of the game that lets me carry hundreds of buildings and thousands of tons of materials on my character.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 5, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol i fired up the game for the first time in ages

somehow i managed to trigger a biter swarm before i even build my first assembler, and while i was fiddling around with boilers and steam engines

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I decided I wanted a bit of a threat, any threat, so I decided to start a new game with default settings. Had a decent sized biter nest overlooking the only nearby iron deposit so they were on my rear end from the word go. but I eventually purged them and everything else in a sizeable radius of my base, so welcome to New Mess!

Biters can path round walls so you might want to close up some of those pillboxes to the north. For medium worms and small bases, get the car and some grenades and drive in circles round it chucking them out of the window. This will do until you get the rocket launcher, which outranges medium worms.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Aethernet posted:

Biters can path round walls so you might want to close up some of those pillboxes to the north. For medium worms and small bases, get the car and some grenades and drive in circles round it chucking them out of the window. This will do until you get the rocket launcher, which outranges medium worms.

Back in the day when I played regularly, leaving walls open at the back of pillboxes meant that the biters would attempt to get to the opening rather than attacking the front wall directly. This gave more time for the turrets to fire unopposed. Closing the gap meant they immediately stopped trying that and would attack my walls.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Unreal_One posted:

Easy misread, but.

Thank you for correcting me, and apologies for being so wrong!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't really worry about walls until well into medium evolution. Red bullets in a turret very quickly delete smalls before they even get close. Should mention I save scum a bit if they manage to eat something expensive, relative to using walls to funnel certain directions into places with guns. But you can generally guess which direction they're gonna come from and stick 5 turrets around that spot and if you miss you can usually clean up enough with your smg fast enough they don't blow anything but belts and poles up.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Nth Doctor posted:

Back in the day when I played regularly, leaving walls open at the back of pillboxes meant that the biters would attempt to get to the opening rather than attacking the front wall directly. This gave more time for the turrets to fire unopposed. Closing the gap meant they immediately stopped trying that and would attack my walls.

But that's what you want. You want them to attack the walls.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Charles 1998 posted:

But that's what you want. You want them to attack the walls.

Them not attacking anything because they're busy trying to get to the turret is even better. And probably good enough to last until you make a full, self repairing wall with robots.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Tamba posted:

Them not attacking anything because they're busy trying to get to the turret is even better. And probably good enough to last until you make a full, self repairing wall with robots.

Exactly what I was trying to phonepost. The longer they spend in range of my turret without attacking anything, the better chance I have of no damage to repair whatsoever.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It depends entirely on how you play. If fastidiously you clean out your cloud, you can probably get away with that. If you let nests exist in your cloud, by mid game you'll be seeing waaay too many biters for that to work. You need more like double walls on a cluster of 4 turrets.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

It depends entirely on how you play. If fastidiously you clean out your cloud, you can probably get away with that. If you let nests exist in your cloud, by mid game you'll be seeing waaay too many biters for that to work. You need more like double walls on a cluster of 4 turrets.

Exactly. To illustrate, this is what expanding my perimeter in the midgame in my current Lazy Bastard Deathworld run looks like:

Now yes, they could get behind my wall here, but that's because it's not finished.

Death World has actually been great fun, and Lazy Bastard has actually synergised really well with how you need to play, minimising your impact and pollution cloud in the early game. It turns the game into something quite different: it's no longer just about efficiently building your factory, but identifying the most efficient way of blowing up biter nests at your tech level. I've used bits of the military tree I've never bothered with when I could zoom straight to using a tank - personal shields, rocket launchers, personal flamethrowers and so on. I've even had to build dedicated combat suits at each tech level just to stay competitive.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So a week has gone by and the partner and i have gotten another chance to sit down and approach the machine.

We have basically fully hit military science to the best efficiency we know how. Now we just need to redo basic red and green, and go harvest the oil nearby us.

I also plan to go route some of the nests out there to stop the incursion of the biters a bit. Soon. I promise.

Edit: Some other notes. We experimented with solar power, found out we had no accumulator, and then realized oh yeah, we need petroleum to make batteries.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Are there any of you who like playing with entirely too many mods? No? Well regardless I might have a thing for you

Among other things, it can make assorted vehicle/armor grids and equipment play together, and you can use it for ore rarity scaling that still uses the built-in spawning so it keeps fancy shapes and still works with preview (yes, I'm calling out RSO here). But basically this is "everything I wanted in an Angel/Bob/Yuoki" game, and almost all of it can disabled if you don't want it so you get just the parts you agree with. Myself and my friends have been using a version of this for probably over a year now and I decided to finally get off my rear end and publish it for everybody to use. Hopefully it's of use to at least one of you!

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I finally have a spaghetti offering:

I took two 4-lane balancers I once saw in a blueprint, slapped them side by side and hotwired them into an 8-lane balancer, then slapped two of those side by side and hotwired them into a 16-lane balancer. And then started frantically diverting balanced lanes out the sides because I was like 2 tiles too close to the loading stations to manage graceful 8-lane turns.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

palamedes posted:

I took two 4-lane balancers I once saw in a blueprint, slapped them side by side and hotwired them into an 8-lane balancer, then slapped two of those side by side and hotwired them into a 16-lane balancer. And then started frantically diverting balanced lanes out the sides because I was like 2 tiles too close to the loading stations to manage graceful 8-lane turns.

So, asking the obvious question:

If the 16-lane balancer balances the lanes correctly, why did you need the 4 and 8?

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
The 4-lane is something I've been able to do from memory for a while. It's the biggest balancer I used before this world and I have them all over the place in my starter base. I made my first 8-lane out of two 4-lanes when I needed to feed my solar panel factory about 20 hours ago. And this is the first 16-lane I've ever done. I thiiiink it works, it seems to be feeding the chests equally.

I'll probably keep using the 8-lane balancer when it's enough for the job, it has a smaller footprint and blue underground belts aint free.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a sick balanced unloader I came across this week:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Here's a sick balanced unloader I came across this week:

I was using something similar to this for a while. Foolishly, thought I wouldn't need it and it would be perfectly okay to not worry so hard about balancing on my next block of the factory, making red circuits.

...So of course not balancing literally every output has led to the system constantly loving up. Because why not.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

palamedes posted:

I am not super experienced at this game but aren't those 6-lane balancers, not 4? Or am I looking at the wrong thing

My proudest game "achievement" is probably inventing a 6-lane balancer for my stations in my first game before I knew what a lane balancer was. Like I lay awake in bed figuring it out and then I had to go and fire up the game immediately to check it worked lol

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Maugrim posted:

I am not super experienced at this game but aren't those 6-lane balancers, not 4? Or am I looking at the wrong thing

My proudest game "achievement" is probably inventing a 6-lane balancer for my stations in my first game before I knew what a lane balancer was. Like I lay awake in bed figuring it out and then I had to go and fire up the game immediately to check it worked lol

Laying awake in bed thinking about conveyor belts is the true Factorio experience.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Maugrim posted:

I think you're looking at the 3-to-6 balancers on the right that feed the train loading chests. The 16-lane balancer is on the bottom left, starting with the 8 lined up blue splitters. It's only using 13 input lanes at the moment.

And congratulations on your spaghetti puzzle epiphany!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there a way to insert ghost fuel into a ghost train? Or ghost place fuel in an existing train? I have the problem where occasionally biters end up crossing tracks, and they run into a train, and they get mad at the train, and they attack the train. I can ghost place a missing engine or wagon, and I can have a spider with a roboport place that ghost engine or wagon, but I don't know how I can get the spider's bots to put fuel in the engine. I don't want to use a blueprint, because the blueprint will have orders in it, and I want the placed engine to pick up the orders of the destroyed engine.

How can I get my spider to replace and refuel destroyed engines?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
You can have a tiny mini blueprint of a requester chest requesting fuel with an insterter.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
My other suggestion would be to just always have a spare nuclear fuel on hand if you're in the spider yourself and you can just shove it in manually. That said, if this 'biters are eating trains' thing is happening a lot you might want to deal with it some other way, since random train destruction is really not something the game gives you tools to handle easily, unfortunately.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So in my case I have a spidertron dedicated to rail construction that I operate remotely. I already use it to repair tracks where biters may have damaged outside the range of any of my regular roboports. I could tell it to carry locomotives and wagons, and it could place those when I placed ghosts. Since it's outside of logistics range, I can't use a requestor chest because there's no supply/logistics network from a personal roboport in the spidertron, just the construction network (If there was a mod that allowed a personal roboport to put out a supply/logistics network it could work, but it doesn't look like such a mod exists). There's no way for a blueprint to include an object in a chest so I can't place a blueprint with a nuclear fuel in a chest and an arm to load the locomotive. The only way I know of placing a ghost fuel that a construction bot will fill is in a train blue print.

Though, you know what I just tried, and appears to work. I created a blueprint with just a locomotive with fuel, no schedule. I gave a train a schedule, then shot the locomotive. I used my locomotive blueprint and it attached to the existing train cars, and picked up their existing order. So maybe I solved it myself with a blueprint and correcting a faulty assumption.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I've never tried inserters from spidertrons, but if those work you could use a blueprint with a filter inserter set to only grab nuclear fuel.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

palamedes posted:

I've never tried inserters from spidertrons, but if those work you could use a blueprint with a filter inserter set to only grab nuclear fuel.

They don't, and that's a good thing. Just imagine what would happen if your spidertron walks through your factory. :gonk:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

I've been on these forums for so long that I assumed this was Loss.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Aethernet posted:

I've been on these forums for so long that I assumed this was Loss.

oh thank god i'm not the only one

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
It just made me stop and wonder why I never make or place any lamps.

They just never quite become a priority as I can see pretty well at night. Maybe my monitor is set too bright :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I've decided to eschew night vision in my latest game and spam lamps instead. Everything looks much prettier and I have all those suit slots back.