Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

ExParrot posted:

Edit: The plane shows up in my payment confirmation Email, but not on my order on the site. I'm sweating here!

That's weird. Mine does show also on the web site:

Hopefully it's some kind of temporary discrepancy on Lego web site for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mine shows the plane in both my email and order, hopefully it gets fixed for you.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

deoju posted:

Been working on this Blade Runner 2049 Spinner for a couple of days. I'm pretty happy with the front, and kinda happy with the back end. But the middle has got me stumped for the moment. I'm considering the two different windscreens. The top one tapers towards the top, which is closer to the original. But the bottom one lets me get a steeper tilt and is 6 studs instead of 8 wide at the bottom, which gives me more options for attaching the doors. hosed if I know what I'm going to do with those.

Edit:
Here's an image of an official model for reference...

Of the two, I'd say the second option.

Good luck with this, I briefly attempted a version of that same spinner, got frustrated and gave up. I wish you better success than I had.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Oh poo poo, wife bought me an R/C truck for my birthday after mentioning I used to be huge into it as a teenager. Started watching YouTube vids and stumbled upon Jangs R/C videos. Was like hey I know that voice...

(Raised on Team Associated, had the electric buggy, the electric rally truck, the gas rally truck and the tc3 4 wheel drive car) All of which spent sooo much money on brushless motors, graphite and titanium parts, micro servos etc.

She got me a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 which is perfect for just goofing around our big rear end mountain yard.

I will not get sunk into another expensive hobby........

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 6, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Electric R/C is loving amazing compared to what we had in the 80s/90s. The motors and the batteries have improved so much there's no comparison. The 1:43 stuff is super fun if you're stuck indoors and have a hard floor.

Definitely hasn't gotten cheaper though.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ivantod posted:

Well, the Amelia Earhart GWP is live in Europe.

Was able to get one in with my order, but no idea how long it will last. I guess this might end up one of the more popular GWPs because of the minifig?

And with that the chinese new year sets are out of stock again.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

a sexual elk posted:

Oh poo poo, wife bought me an R/C truck for my birthday after mentioning I used to be huge into it as a teenager. Started watching YouTube vids and stumbled upon Jangs R/C videos. Was like hey I know that voice...

(Raised on Team Associated, had the electric buggy, the electric rally truck, the gas rally truck and the tc3 4 wheel drive car) All of which spent sooo much money on brushless motors, graphite and titanium parts, micro servos etc.

She got me a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 which is perfect for just goofing around our big rear end mountain yard.

I will not get sunk into another expensive hobby........

I really want only one rc car and that’s the tycho rc rebound. I got it as a kid and broke it the same day going down the stairs. I was unhappy, but that was my one gift for the year so no replacements. And it was the 90s so no calling up tycho to complain. I would spend quite a bit to get that part of my childhood back.

In lego news I bought the blacksmith and have the Amelia airplane coming. Looks like they had enough for me to casually buy one this morning.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The deal is supposed to last a few days, so I'd hope they would have enough to get through the night.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I’d buy the flower bouquet this weekend but of course it’s still sold out and my local store doesn’t have it either. The plane I can take or leave but if both the store and the website had the bouquet in stock I know I’d have a much better chance going with the actual store. The GWP gods are fickle

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I bought the purple spider base thing because it's cool looking and different from most sets. A lot of the new ninjago and monkie kid sets are really good looking.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Ika posted:

And with that the chinese new year sets are out of stock again.

Yeah, what is up with these, they seem to be out of stock more than in? I also had difficulty getting the lantern festival one because it seems to be out of stock most of the time and basically sells out immediately whenever it comes back. I know these are generally popular, but really, this popular? Or does Lego just keep underestimating their popularity--I know that there was a big outcry the first year they did these because they weren't even going to release them outside of East Asia and only came to the rest of the world many months later.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's part speculators/resellers and part popularity and part LEGO not making enough to satisfy demand.

The Lantern Festival, being essentially a modular, has probably increased its desirability by a lot. It seems a lot of people in this thread said they wanted it after not being particularly interested in the earlier sets.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The Chinese New Year sets rock, they're some of the most creative sets of the year in terms of ideas and building techniques.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
How often do they release new catalogs? Last one on the website is for Holiday 2020.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Captain Duvel posted:

I bought the purple spider base thing because it's cool looking and different from most sets. A lot of the new ninjago and monkie kid sets are really good looking.

Zane's Mech has actual working knees and the mechanism is ingenious.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

How often do they release new catalogs? Last one on the website is for Holiday 2020.

I used to be able to get these via the mail but since I moved I can’t find the link to sign up. Does it still exist or is the kids LIFE magazine the only option now?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Last one I got is a January 2021 catalogue.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Ordered Pirates of Barracuda Bay to get the GWP. Will be my third and fourth post-Dark Ages sets, after building the Haunted House + Skating Rink two months ago. Really excited!

I also ordered some minifigures off bricklink (spooky ones and cryptids, because those are my favorite) and I think to dip my toe into building techniques and MOCs I'm going to make some small 4x6 stands/tiny dioramas for them. Like I ordered the Bigfoot CMF and I think I'll make the trunk of a redwood tree next to a creek for him to pose next to. Stuff that doesn't take up much more space than the minifigure itself, but more interesting than just having them standing on a plate.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got all my pieces in and made this lol guy.

It's my lil twitch avatar that is in no way copyright infringing.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Man I really want that GWP but everything i'd want to buy is OOS. :(

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

w00tazn posted:

Man I really want that GWP but everything i'd want to buy is OOS. :(

You can always buy from resellers. Not ideal, but it’s the position I’m in a lot of times recently. Or buy a set you think will go up enough in value to sell later and keep the gwp. I’ve done that too in the past.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I did some more work on the spinner... It looks pretty good from the front, and the doors open, but the rear end looks bad, and I can't get all the pieces in the right colors.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nice!

quote:

Thanks for your recent LEGO® parts order with us. Due to a recent change in European customs regulations, your order has been returned to our warehouse. ... We expect to reship your parts within the next 10 business days.
Well that's a shame, they originally shipped out at the end of January and I've been wondering where they've been, and literally just shot an email to support on the weekend. (Which I'm going to bet might cause confusion.) I don't live in England but I'm going to blame the Brits anyways.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Brick-xit strikes again!

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 8, 2021

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Saw the cargo train with the bluetooth controls on sale and caved. Guess I'll get to see for myself what all the negative reviews are talking about, but at least the train looks nice.

We also started watching Lego Masters on hulu last night. Pretty amusing and impressive what they come up with in the time they have.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

davebo posted:

Saw the cargo train with the bluetooth controls on sale and caved. Guess I'll get to see for myself what all the negative reviews are talking about, but at least the train looks nice.

We also started watching Lego Masters on hulu last night. Pretty amusing and impressive what they come up with in the time they have.

Seems like the biggest issue is poor battery life, and needing 10 AAA batteries. And then a few people complaining that extra features require a smartphone that they've decided they don't want, and that is lego's fault for some reason.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Yeah some people were saying they had problems where when you switch to another app on your phone the train just stops? Stuff like that is ridiculous so I'll just stick with the remote. I'm not sure how the remote pairs with the battery box but I'm guessing I can't use one remote to control 4 trains like you can with the IR receivers. Eventually I want to customize a train to use the technic AA box for longer battery life, but I'll play with that later.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Finally got around to watching Carbohydrate's worst-of stream. Good stuff, I learnt a lot.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Wasn't part of the reason Time Cruisers even exists to use up surplus parts from other discontinued themes?

Yeah, I was wondering if that was an urban legend that had stuck. I was always a bit skeptical of that, since I figured if you had a bunch of surplus parts there was no guarantee you'd have enough for x sets and would likely have to make more anyway.

I am glad a lot of the late 90s themes like UFO and Insectoids weren't on there. I thought most of those themes had pretty solid concepts, just poor execution. Hell, you could even argue that Alien Conquest and Galaxy Squad were remakes of UFO and Insectoids respectively and they were both pretty cool.

I'll also second the recommendation for Brick By Brick, I've read it too and it's a great overview of how Lego hosed up in the early 2000s and how they fixed it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've always thought Time Cruisers was LEGO saying, "this is what kids do. they mix up all their sets with their wild imaginations. we can do it for them." And the the kids were like, I'd rather do my own mash-ups.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Seems like the biggest issue is poor battery life, and needing 10 AAA batteries. And then a few people complaining that extra features require a smartphone that they've decided they don't want, and that is lego's fault for some reason.

To be fair, if I gave my kid a Lego set to play with I'd be pretty miffed if I had to give them a smartphone to use as well. Everybody knows once you switch one on, the kids entire focus is on it and nothing but it.
That's why the entire smartphone as remote/AR app for Lego sucks.

Many people want their kids to take a break from this stuff and then the supposedly creative building toy encourages more smartphone use. That is stupid as hell. And the remotes worked just fine, so it is Lego's fault basically for making smartphone use mandatory to get all features/run at all.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Hopper posted:

To be fair, if I gave my kid a Lego set to play with I'd be pretty miffed

Dont buy Boost :)

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

ExParrot posted:

Edit: The plane shows up in my payment confirmation Email, but not on my order on the site. I'm sweating here!

Sent out a support ticket, and LEGO kindly said they'd ship the plane as a separate order; just a heads up for anyone else that may have this issue!

This is how you customer support, people.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hey folks! Just coming out of a dark age, thought I'd pop in and say hello. Hoping the Mos Eisley Cantina and the Falcon come back in stock soon because I'm champing at the bit and ready to make some bad financial decisions.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Hey folks! Just coming out of a dark age, thought I'd pop in and say hello. Hoping the Mos Eisley Cantina and the Falcon come back in stock soon because I'm champing at the bit and ready to make some bad financial decisions.

Oh dang, sorry you missed the falcon. It was up for a good five days I think, starting Jan 27. That was the first I had seen it there since I started looking last fall.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

If you live near a lego store they tend to have items in stock more than the website.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
A while ago, I made a model of the Hoonicorn V1. It's a pretty popular car for people to make Speed Champions versions of because LEGO built and gifted one to Ken Block, of which some pics made it online, so everyone had a base to work from. As a result of its popularity, a number of people make sticker sheets to replicate all the branding that the real car has. I was kind of tempted to get a set for my own build, but I got to thinking: why am I gonna pay real money to buy advertisements of real brands I have nothing to do with? Nah, let's have some fun with it. Some in-universe fun.

This took many, many hours. It was hard finding references for some of these obscure in-universe LEGO brands, especially the Nutrax Tyres logo, which I had to reconstruct from scratch. I did have a ton of fun with it, though. Hey, anybody know of any really high quality printers that can make me a finely detailed sticker sheet? :v:

References:
- Hoonikitty is, of course, a blend of Hoonigan/Hoonicorn and Unikitty
- Vita RUSH is a beverage company that appears in many City sets, most recently 60290: Skate Park (2021)
- Nutrax Tyres was advertised on the spoiler of the red car in the Tiny Turbos set 8198: Ramp Crash (2010)
- Smooth Oil and Heavy Cargo are two of the brands advertised on the front bumper of 42041: Race Truck (2015)
- SPARK is advertised on the side of 75884: 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback (2018)
- TOOLS and ENgyne are advertised on the side of 60218: Desert Rally Racer (2019). This is also where I got the "Racing" variant of the Vita RUSH logo.
- The 43 number on the roof uses the classic LEGO skull head set over the crossed bones from the latest version of the Jolly Roger in 21322: Pirates of Barracuda Bay (2020)
- The fake mustang logo is a poseable LEGO horse in profile
- The LEGO badge is a classic oval logo from 1956

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

A while ago, I made a model of the Hoonicorn V1. It's a pretty popular car for people to make Speed Champions versions of because LEGO built and gifted one to Ken Block, of which some pics made it online, so everyone had a base to work from. As a result of its popularity, a number of people make sticker sheets to replicate all the branding that the real car has. I was kind of tempted to get a set for my own build, but I got to thinking: why am I gonna pay real money to buy advertisements of real brands I have nothing to do with? Nah, let's have some fun with it. Some in-universe fun.

This took many, many hours. It was hard finding references for some of these obscure in-universe LEGO brands, especially the Nutrax Tyres logo, which I had to reconstruct from scratch. I did have a ton of fun with it, though. Hey, anybody know of any really high quality printers that can make me a finely detailed sticker sheet? :v:

References:
- Hoonikitty is, of course, a blend of Hoonigan/Hoonicorn and Unikitty
- Vita RUSH is a beverage company that appears in many City sets, most recently 60290: Skate Park (2021)
- Nutrax Tyres was advertised on the spoiler of the red car in the Tiny Turbos set 8198: Ramp Crash (2010)
- Smooth Oil and Heavy Cargo are two of the brands advertised on the front bumper of 42041: Race Truck (2015)
- SPARK is advertised on the side of 75884: 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback (2018)
- TOOLS and ENgyne are advertised on the side of 60218: Desert Rally Racer (2019). This is also where I got the "Racing" variant of the Vita RUSH logo.
- The 43 number on the roof uses the classic LEGO skull head set over the crossed bones from the latest version of the Jolly Roger in 21322: Pirates of Barracuda Bay (2020)
- The fake mustang logo is a poseable LEGO horse in profile
- The LEGO badge is a classic oval logo from 1956

I usually lurk but god drat, this is incredible.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Oh poo poo, the bonsai tree and flower bonquet came back in stock for the first time in Canada! Guess I'm getting a second GWP

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Mr_Chicken posted:

I usually lurk but god drat, this is incredible.
Thank you! I'm actually really enjoying making graphics for some of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

This droid popped up in my Facebook memories from 12 years ago. We were living overseas at the time and so the kids just had a small pile of Lego and I had to get creative with the motorcycle bodies.