Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hank Morgan posted:

Bill Gates slayer skin.

to beat this game you must defeat me, extremely sweaty steve ballmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Howdy! It looks like you're trying to rip and tear?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Demons, demons, demons, demons

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

'What was that Q1 mod... Arcane... Arcane something, dimensions? Yeah right, wonder if Civvie did a video on that, let's search. Hmm guess not. Wait something on rpgcodex.net about it? Weird, let's go see...'

:yikes:

Jesus christ gamers are the loving worst

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shotgun#

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

victrix posted:

'What was that Q1 mod... Arcane... Arcane something, dimensions? Yeah right, wonder if Civvie did a video on that, let's search. Hmm guess not. Wait something on rpgcodex.net about it? Weird, let's go see...'

Your first mistake was going to RPG Codex.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

I once heard it described as "stormfront for wizards" which does not appear to be inaccurate

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Convex posted:

I once heard it described as "stormfront for wizards" which does not appear to be inaccurate
That's the RPG site. The RPG codex is stormfront for wizardry.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sir Lemming posted:

:laffo:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That's the RPG site. The RPG codex is stormfront for wizardry.

it sucks, it used to be along the lines of like doomworld or SA. the codex went a very different direction though. shows the power of moderation.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah, quake is an FPS game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Squeezy Farm posted:

Yeah, quake is an FPS game.

[picture of a young John Romero crying]

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Hank Morgan posted:

Bill Gates slayer skin.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
why is he dressed like obi wan kenobi

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

I'm catastrophically sensitive to second hand embarrassment so I've never been able to make it through that whole presentation or Steve Balmer's psychotic developers display.

:negative:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The only way I have ever experienced the Ballmer rant is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRm0NDo1CiY

In my mind this is just how it happened irl

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

victrix posted:

i looked up this mod (not on rpgcodex) and it looks insanely rad. while trying to remember how to set up a source port i also found this thing that's built on top of quakespasm-spiked that automates basically everything from copying the data files from steam to downloading the soundtracks to installing community mods. pretty cool!

https://neogeographica.com/site/pages/tools/quakestarter.html

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
If I was in charge of Apple social media I'd have Tim Cook stroll on-stage in a leather cloak and fist a boar to death in Bloodborne before selling some iPads

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Weedle posted:

i looked up this mod (not on rpgcodex) and it looks insanely rad. while trying to remember how to set up a source port i also found this thing that's built on top of quakespasm-spiked that automates basically everything from copying the data files from steam to downloading the soundtracks to installing community mods. pretty cool!

I'm pretty sure that's a goon's project too. I haven't used it, but it seems pretty well put together.

I occasionally popped in to RPGcodex because there was some good CRPG information there, but I always found the tone too pissed off about everything after 1991 to want to like, join. Did they decide the site needed to go full chud or something?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
What kind of fisting are we talking about here, Convex

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Weedle posted:

That's the site and QuakeStarter of this thread's very own JLaw, so you know who to thank.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What kind of fisting are we talking about here, Convex

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IpODuwEHSE:nws:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

skasion posted:

The only way I have ever experienced the Ballmer rant is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRm0NDo1CiY

In my mind this is just how it happened irl

I mean, he wasn't wrong…

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

time to relaunch Quake Champions with Master Chief, Joanna Dark, and some Gears character added to the roster

and Conker

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Homora Gaykemi posted:

time to relaunch Quake Champions with Master Chief, Joanna Dark, and some Gears character added to the roster

and Conker

With the exception of Gears, isn't that largely how Quake 3 was played around 2002? Except with more South Park characters?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

catlord posted:

With the exception of Gears, isn't that largely how Quake 3 was played around 2002? Except with more South Park characters?

And Gundams, don't forget the Gundams

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sir Lemming posted:

Below is from the Elder Scrolls Discussion thread, but since Zenimax owns id now, it's still relevant...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You've activated the Developer stone.

Once a day, for way longer than anyone is comfortable with, you will sweat profusely while screaming "Developers!" the entire time.

This is a racial bonus of the Ballmer.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm catastrophically sensitive to second hand embarrassment so I've never been able to make it through that whole presentation or Steve Balmer's psychotic developers display.

:negative:

I too couldn’t finish Daikatana

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Escape Goat posted:

I've never made it past the first level. :c00l:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i had the urgent need to go take a nap while i was in the middle of watching civvie's wolfenstein video and given that that's probably the first time i've ever had to do that sort of thing i feel it's a pretty apt summary of what i think about wolfenstein 3d

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Escape Goat posted:

Neither could Ion Storm.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm sure I'm late to this party, but after watching the civvie video on Wolfenstein I went down some wiki rabbit holes about it. I definitely only ever had the shareware even though I thought I remembered some of the other stuff, and I know I saw Spear of Destiny on display at Circuit City once.

I've long felt that the use of Nazi imagery in Wolf3D was kind of analagous to the use of Satanic imagery in Doom. But I never realized SoD went so "out there" that it basically has some stuff that can be considered a precursor to Doom, including goat heads and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXUFT_3MkdA

And I definitely never knew about the expansion pack to SoD that actually has the UAC crate textures and some other familiar stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg4XqKCkZPc

The More You Know

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/kinsie/status/1369291310566236162

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
I'm done with the controller-powered Plutonia UV run, helped by liberal savescumming. Milo Casali emerges as the clearly stronger mapper: his maps are not only symmetric & visually memorable compared to Dario's messier work, there's always a sense of neatness, a clarity of purpose in his gameplay execution. It's perhaps by dint of luck that he ended up with a bumpier, less notable career than Dario.

Doom Classic Unity's analog stick controls seem to fare no worse than KB&M at Plutonia's inertia platforming, arguably even better. What effect it does have is essentially a nerf on advanced footsies, berserk fists & shotguns. Footsies, because you can't reverse your speed vector on a dime; fists & shotguns, as they attack in intervaled bursts which increase the cost of missing. Fists are largely unused in Plutonia, but missing a full super shotty blast on a revenant can be really painful.

The bugs also continue to befuddle me. The menu-disabling bug seems often triggered by full-screen flash effects (which is why archvile blasts seemed like a cause), but can also occur a few seconds after I load a save without doing anything.

Dieting Hippo posted:

I'm not familiar with bimetric perspective (Google's not pulling up helpful results) but 32 angles would be feasible. The cameras in the camera rig can already be tilted down to provide an isometric angled view, so that'd fit nicely! Do you know if there's special conventions for naming the sprites used in SC:R or AOE:DE?
Sorry, I meant "dimetric", which is a more accurate way of describing the typical "isometric" graphics in games. File naming-wise, numerically should be enough. The only thing you should note is RTS sprites are organized by animations: an animation sequence followed by the same animation in the next facing, which is opposite from Doom or Build.

I know of 3 games that use 32 angles:

- Command & Conquer: Remastered Collection: Steam Workshop support, TGA format (each file is pre-cropped, with a text file describing the cropping, though that's beyond your scope), has an atypical perspective. Sprite sequence starts facing north, rotating counter-clockwise.

- AoE1DE: Official mod hub, proprietary format. Sprite sequence starts facing east, rotating clockwise.

AoE2 runs on similar engines, has one of the biggest modding communities for a RTS, though only needs 8 angles (original & AoE2HD, 5 facings, 3 mirrored) or 16 angles (AoE2DE).

- SC:R: Unfortunately the game is outright hostile to modding with its online verification. It also has an optional lighting mode that needs everything rendered in 7 versions (diffuse, normal, specular, ...), only to produce results that look like rear end. Not worth it.

cuc fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 9, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I, for one, won't forgive him.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nothing to forgive if he's done nothing wrong. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy