Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!
the book of giants was mostly known due to criticism of manicheans until recently, but it's an important book in the Dead Sea scrolls and may have been removed from the Bible due to its influence on manicheanism. it deals with the crazy half-angel kids who provoked the flood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
drat, I love apocrypha and never heard of the book of giants, this sounds cool as hell

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
are you sure you aren't conflating the book of enoch with the book of giants?

e: huh apparently not

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ancient biblical apocrypha is so much cooler than modern apocrypha it isn't even funny

Modern: BAD MEN RUN EARTH. GOOD MAN COME DOWN AND TAKE US AWAY FROM BAD MEN

Ancient: humans and angels have hosed, the resulting offspring devoured the world and covered it in fire

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Agean90 posted:

Ancient biblical apocrypha is so much cooler than modern apocrypha it isn't even funny

Ancient: humans and angels have hosed, the resulting offspring devoured the world and covered it in fire

Classical: jesus fucks and also i slept with him

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Jesus christ sucked off straight centurions

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Early church schism between Jesohn and Lukohn shippers.

twoday
May 4, 2005

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

*borat voice* worthy of it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Agean90 posted:

I love how a good bit of the apocrypha that we have was not excluded because it was theologically suspect, but because it was just really drat weird and the learned scholars of the age were afraid people would misinterpret it.

I haven't read Book of Giants (yet) but it really seems to fit in with the that section of apocrypha that just makes you go "...oookay..." after reading it. Like, it isn't that it has a contradictory message from what became biblical canon, it just doesn't seem to have much of a point despite saying an awful lot.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

vyelkin posted:

drat, hedonistic, anti-natalist, and vegan? Sounds like Manicheanism is due for a comeback.

That sounds a lot like Catharism, which did make a comeback but, uh, it did not go well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tulip posted:

"Manicheanism" as a word in English can also mean reducing a conflict, or all conflicts, down to a simple moral binary. Kind of a synonym for "black-and-white reasoning."

This does have some minor linkage to Manichean metaphysics. As I understand it (as has been pointed out we don't really have a particularly large amount of surviving text from them, and the last continuous practice died centuries ago), Manicheanism posits that the universe was effectively two totally segregated planes in the distant past: a morally good spirit plane and a morally evil material plane. The devil of the material plane staged an invasion of the spirit plane, and while it was not a total success, it created an intermingled third layer. We currently live in that, and this first layer of the metaphysics is what tends to get the focus.

The implications start coming pretty hard and fast. Augustine hated them for their stance on sex, which is that sex is good but having kids bad, because sure it's pleasurable but when you have a child, that involves plucking a soul from the spiritual plane and pulling them 'down' to be intermingled with crass matter. Vegetarianism is encouraged because vegetables are more matter and less spirit than animals, so you're doing less damage to spirit. It's pretty neat.

Yeah, I got that (I mean considering how often the secular still follows this absolute division of saved vs damned, good vs. evil, my objectively perfect politics vs. those people) Manicheanism is still very much with us today. I just wanted to check that "good and evil are popular concepts" that I wasn't missing out.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/CSMFHT/status/1367741824434020353?s=19

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

sullat posted:

That sounds a lot like Catharism, which did make a comeback but, uh, it did not go well.

Apparently that was an intentional callback to vilify the Cathars. The real Cathars probably didn't really believe in the dualistic stuff and just challenged the power of the church.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've got a question for all the history nerds here: is it true or just a myth that European monarchs would sometimes free all prisoners when coming into power? And what effect did this have on society?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/the_mermae/status/1367625068264710147

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

What I like about that is that it implies Orpheus looked behind him because a hotter woman than Eurydice passed them on the way to Hades.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

twoday hard at work

day crew is a mess

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!

Azathoth posted:

I love how a good bit of the apocrypha that we have was not excluded because it was theologically suspect, but because it was just really drat weird and the learned scholars of the age were afraid people would misinterpret it.

I haven't read Book of Giants (yet) but it really seems to fit in with the that section of apocrypha that just makes you go "...oookay..." after reading it. Like, it isn't that it has a contradictory message from what became biblical canon, it just doesn't seem to have much of a point despite saying an awful lot.

Part of it was to explain pagan beliefs about demigods, etc. One of the nephilim was literally Gilgamesh.

Also to explain how the people in charge of slave empires learned to such utter assholes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/romanhistory1/status/1368295236280147973

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ArtifactsHub/status/1368350328085606403

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hell yeah. If it hasn't been linked before, https://the-world-that-was.blogspot.com/ does a lot of ancient (frequently Sumerian) recipes. I've tried a few, the applesauce and the palace cakes are pretty good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Max Miller’s history and cooking channel is cool.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
It is but he's occasionally braindead when making some of the vaguer recipes. Especially the kykeon episode where he hosed it up at basically every stage. Using uncooked grain was a particularly :wtc: moment

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want to make Parthian chicken, but I haven’t gotten around to rustling up a whole chicken and all the uncommon ingredients it uses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LynenQ5h2Y

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Zedhe Khoja posted:

It is but he's occasionally braindead when making some of the vaguer recipes. Especially the kykeon episode where he hosed it up at basically every stage. Using uncooked grain was a particularly :wtc: moment

I saw someone had a theory that a type of ancient Greek bread they called maza was eaten similarly to how tibetans prepare and eat tsampa from cooked barley, making it convenient on campaigns as you can simply mix it with water, wine or oil to eat on the go. It's a neat idea at least.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tulip posted:

Hell yeah. If it hasn't been linked before, https://the-world-that-was.blogspot.com/ does a lot of ancient (frequently Sumerian) recipes. I've tried a few, the applesauce and the palace cakes are pretty good.

i just finished listening to the fall of civilizations episode on sumeria and the stew he mentions in the episode sounds tasty as gently caress tbh

twoday
May 4, 2005

I made this recipe for roman dill chicken once with rabbit when I found some cheap rabbit meat and it was great

also back in the old days the EU used to import cheap ostrich meat from South Africa sometimes (there is an embargo now) and I made some roman recipe from north africa with ostrich cooked in fig stew.

Roman food is very good and tasty, and very different from most cuisine I have ever tasted. Things like asafoetida and lovage leaves or lovage seeds can be found in Persian or Indian shops. Fish sauce from south east Asia is a substitute for Garum (there is even a theory that it originated with the Phoenicians and spread to Asia via Phoenician/Roman maritime trade). The hardest thing to replicate is the various reductions of wine which they used, especially since they rely on very specific styles of wine which are very rare now (usually very sweet, or aged with raisins in them or something).

The cookbook of Apicius is still available and filled with tons of recipes that anyone can try out.

I think the thing I took away most from Roman cooking has to do with parsnips. They used to use them the way modern europeans use potatoes - boil em, mash em etc. And it was found that the roots of parsley grew larger and larger the further north you went, so they were important to the conquest of northern Gaul and Britain. Parsnip mash is really great! Also half potato/half parsnip mash.

Pro-tip: when a recipe asks for chopped leeks to be sprinkled on top at the end, it refers to wild leeks which were much smaller back in those days; use green onions as a substitute.

twoday has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Mar 7, 2021

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

I can't believe this is the first time I've heard of this religion.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Clever Moniker posted:

I can't believe this is the first time I've heard of this religion.

which religion?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

twoday posted:

I made this recipe for roman dill chicken once with rabbit when I found some cheap rabbit meat and it was great

also back in the old days the EU used to import cheap ostrich meat from South Africa sometimes (there is an embargo now) and I made some roman recipe from north africa with ostrich cooked in fig stew.

Roman food is very good and tasty, and very different from most cuisine I have ever tasted. Things like asafoetida and lovage leaves or lovage seeds can be found in Persian or Indian shops. Fish sauce from south east Asia is a substitute for Garum (there is even a theory that it originated with the Phoenicians and spread to Asia via Phoenician/Roman maritime trade). The hardest thing to replicate is the various reductions of wine which they used, especially since they rely on very specific styles of wine which are very rare now (usually very sweet, or aged with raisins in them or something).

The cookbook of Apicius is still available and filled with tons of recipes that anyone can try out.

I think the thing I took away most from Roman cooking has to do with parsnips. They used to use them the way modern europeans use potatoes - boil em, mash em etc. And it was found that the roots of parsley grew larger and larger the further north you went, so they were important to the conquest of northern Gaul and Britain. Parsnip mash is really great! Also half potato/half parsnip mash.

Pro-tip: when a recipe asks for chopped leeks to be sprinkled on top at the end, it refers to wild leeks which were much smaller back in those days; use green onions as a substitute.

There's a recipe for Parthian chicken served with defructum out there on the internet that absolutely slaps. I highly recommend it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mycomancy posted:

There's a recipe for Parthian chicken served with defructum out there on the internet that absolutely slaps. I highly recommend it.

I politely demand you post this

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nebakenezzer posted:

I politely demand you post this

https://followinghadrian.com/2014/01/17/a-taste-of-ancient-rome-pullum-particum-parthian-chicken-and-parthian-chickpeas/

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
"You fuckmen"

G.I.C.? More like G.B.S.!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ArtifactsHub/status/1368970658856669191

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

*tries to ignite arrows, shits toga*

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

*tries to ignite arrows, shits toga*

I've wondered how it would have felt being a Italian farmer when suddenly some centurio rides in, hands you a club, tells you're an auxiliary now and next thing you know you're fighting an elephant. Biggest thing you have seen is a bull and you know how dangerous that is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fish of hemp posted:

I've wondered how it would have felt being a Italian farmer when suddenly some centurio rides in, hands you a club, tells you're an auxiliary now and next thing you know you're fighting an elephant. Biggest thing you have seen is a bull and you know how dangerous that is.

you complain for 100 years about it until your great grand kids launch the social war

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Fish of hemp posted:

Good thing you can weaponize sad trombones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The auxilia were founded by Augustus. You may be thinking of the alae, the forces supplied by the Roman republic's Italian allies. Who I'm sure were mostly better armed than a club and were recruited or conscripted by local elites, atleast until the social wars.