Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Kat was able to turn a boat into a sea creature inside Zimmy's world, had she some more time to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lmao what the hell? That's it?

Edit: That's all folks!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Has Tom done anything that's causing this distrust in his storytelling? Usually when there's a kerfuffle in the thread, things turn out fine with some patience. Why is everyone acting like this is a climax instead of a setup?

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

All's well that ends well. But will Tony now be less awkward or more awkward?

One of his daughters just died, he's gonna go nuts, clearly.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Vonnie posted:

One of his daughters just died, he's gonna go nuts, clearly.
It's fine, he can just resurrect her by killing Annie. Again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Osmosisch posted:

Has Tom done anything that's causing this distrust in his storytelling? Usually when there's a kerfuffle in the thread, things turn out fine with some patience. Why is everyone acting like this is a climax instead of a setup?
Because we're terrible people who do not deserve happiness

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I suspect the next chapter may be Annie realizing that she misses her "sister" and the way things were, and that Courtnie and Fannie are two unique people after having lived apart for so long.

I hope so, because if this is it, I don't like it. I very much doubt this is the end of the two Annies, given Zimmy's previous opinions.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Osmosisch posted:

Yes. This comic has been almost as much of a vacuous nothing as Questionable Content for a while now, goons are just now noticing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Bad opinions, in this thread.

The issue with the Annie's were pretty much over as soon as they started working together to get Tony to open up more. They had worked through their differences, and perhaps the splitting of Annie wasn't ever about Annie's relation to herself, but her relation to Tony.

I'm fine with this. 🤷

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes. This comic has been almost as much of a vacuous nothing as Questionable Content for a while now, goons are just now noticing.

And yet for some reason you're still reading it and decided to return to this thread again despite making an rear end out of yourself last time

Get this. I've got this idea, a nerdy gamer girl...who has the BIGGEST science brain. And she's like, bisexual, so everybody can fetishize her very big gamer brain. Science is cool right fellas? I too have read a book or two in my time. And she's like SO good at the sciencing that she's a GOD and doesn't even know it lol. Her greatest weakness? I would say that it's probably the awareness that she could solve so many of her friends problems with her very big brain (the biggest). It's tragic, really.

Am I talking about Gunnerkrigg Court or Dresden Codak.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Nope don't like this at all.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

speaking of questionable content...bazinga

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
This isn't the first time Tom's trolled his readership with an abrupt anticlimax but this is probably his most brazen attempt yet.

Let's not say words we can't take back now.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

YaketySass posted:

This isn't the first time Tom's trolled his readership with an abrupt anticlimax but this is probably his most brazen attempt yet.

I think The Breakout still holds the top spot for brazen

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The Breakout was actually funny, so the brazenness is excused. This is just.... lame.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having a character offer an explanation and then be told they don't need to give one when clearly they oughta, if only for our benefit, should be your hint that Tom's aware you may be frustrated by this chapter's events

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Osmosisch posted:

I think the thread (and myself) had a similar reaction to the recent chapter with the resolution to Kat’s existential crisis. It felt like an interesting development in the plot and Kat’s character had just been magicked away, turning the tic tocs from a source of intrigue into something that was explained and settled without moving the plot forward. Answering a question and moving on rather than revealing the twist of the birds’ origin in a key moment.

I’m not hate reading the comic like that one weirdo. I find it refreshing that things never develop as I expect in GC, sometimes in the end to the benefit of the comic (e.g. Tony literally just appearing on panel one of a chapter one day, unannounced, after years of intrigue and mystery). Sometimes like this I feel less satisfied. I think beyond it feeling a bit convenient that this situation could be resolved offscreen with a Zim episode after a lot of dead ends and runarounds, as many are noting here it didn’t even feel framed as a problem anymore per se. As characters shrugged their shoulders and passed the buck on fixing the issue, we grew used to and happy with the new Annie sisterhood. There was no sense of danger in their existence or public mistrust in the Annies, and in fact their connection seemed to be overall a net positive to their own self loathing. I do have some hope that this isn’t the end of that idea.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Part of the problem is the anticlimaxes of the Tony era were rooted in his personality and role in the story being very different from what we expected, this is just magic Calvinball.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 8, 2021

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
And as far as Kat's stuff it was very heavily foreshadowed that she was linked to them, this is just an asspull given Zimmy's powers have been shown to be mostly etheric and mental before now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo there's 'confusing' inside the comic and 'confusing' outside the comic and it's an important distinction. Confusion inside the comic is fine because it comes in the form of characters and events setting up dominoes which will fall over later, but we don't have all the dominoes yet. Confusion outside the comic is more to do with structure and pacing potentially muddying whether or not you are intended to 'get it' at all, let alone affect your ability to grasp what you're being shown. This I think is meant to be the former, but in execution it has ended up more as the latter for some. Both can be done on purpose and to great and memorable effect, but intending to do one and ending up with the other makes things all fuzzy instead.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 8, 2021

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Their weird obsession with hating the comic aside, I have noticed being less invested in the story for a while. Everything built up to Loup and his upending of the status quo in the comic, and now it feels like it has been spinning its wheels for some time.

We’ll have to see how Annie Fusion plays out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fusion Annie aka. Funnie

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Osmosisch posted:

Honestly my distrust has been growing for a couple years now? Stuff just... keeps happening, for no particular reason, and then stops happening, at least in a way visible to the reader, at odd times for odd reasons, and I'm not sure what if anything any of it is supposed to mean or if its building towards something and I'm not really enjoying it on its own merit.

I think this might be the point where I realize I haven't actually been enjoying this comic overall for a while and have just been cruising on autopilot waiting for things to improve again, and just... stop reading.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, there was no rain this time.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
honestly outside of the main A plot this is pretty much the normal amount of fanfare for how plot lines get resolved in GC. the difference in opinion is whether the twin Annies were an A or B plot

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Maybe the point is that they fused so they can go talk to her dad, and that's why she's moving with such purpose.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

like all of the webcomics I read, I read this one more out of habit than interest in where the story is going

I liked the two Annies, though, and felt like it gave an otherwise uninteresting character some depth by having her work out her issues with literally herself. I've been dreading the two becoming one again for some time and lol if this is how the author does it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I rarely see people react like this to non-web comics.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lurdiak posted:

I rarely see people react like this to non-web comics.

I don't think you're reading the right threads, then. Go over to the X-Books thread to about this time last year and see the reactions to the Fallen Angels book.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

jng2058 posted:

I don't think you're reading the right threads, then. Go over to the X-Books thread to about this time last year and see the reactions to the Fallen Angels book.

Eurgh I had almost managed to forget that book

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

honestly outside of the main A plot this is pretty much the normal amount of fanfare for how plot lines get resolved in GC. the difference in opinion is whether the twin Annies were an A or B plot

One was plot A, the other was plot 1.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Osmosisch posted:

Yeah, lots of times. Most recently that I remember was the Norn chapter that this thread in particular was rightfully harsh on, but there are a bunch of times where the plot for a chapter has just resolved without a lot of conflict or explanation for the readers, or characters just not asking questions or various other ways they've been unsatisfying. I can speak at length at how bad the Hedy chapter was from a storytelling perspective because that was particularly bad and caused me to turn a more critical eye towards the storytelling. For as long as this comic is, there are good chapters and bad ones, and at this point there's enough bad that you can't really just assume blankly on faith that any given plot is going to be well written.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I hope this Annie belongs to this universe

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Honestly my distrust has been growing for a couple years now? Stuff just... keeps happening, for no particular reason, and then stops happening, at least in a way visible to the reader, at odd times for odd reasons, and I'm not sure what if anything any of it is supposed to mean or if its building towards something and I'm not really enjoying it on its own merit.

I think this might be the point where I realize I haven't actually been enjoying this comic overall for a while and have just been cruising on autopilot waiting for things to improve again, and just... stop reading.

i've had that impression since Jeanne, whose freedom seemed to be the last goal this story had with any buildup or investment. Loup was the next major driver of the plot, sure, but half his purpose in the comic seemed to revolve around justifying himself as such

i keep up with GC because a page takes me all of thirty seconds to skim, but that's not really high praise

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This seems like a development that will be more satisfying to archive readers.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

:sickos:

what a fuckin' hill to keep dying on

Anyways, Gunnerkrigg has always just been a comic that happens to be on the web for me. I'm not looking to be regularly satisfied by each and every page. Sometimes I get bored and fall off, and that's ok, because then when I eventually come back to it, I've got a backlog!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Fusion Annie gets back home, finds 3 more Annies there.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Actually, everyone who isn't Zimmy, Gamma, or an Elf (Or otherwise etheric like Renard) is Annie now. Whoops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

(am I supposed to be as lost as everyone else or did I miss a clear reason why Annie is fused now. I know the comic sometimes punts answers down the road, I'm just curious if I missed a reason this time)