Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Dear Sister is such a good skit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Did my weekly check of finances and saw a $1600 charge to Herman Miller that I didn't make on my credit card. Cool cool, definitely something I wanted to deal with this week!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

seiferguy posted:

Did my weekly check of finances and saw a $1600 charge to Herman Miller that I didn't make on my credit card. Cool cool, definitely something I wanted to deal with this week!

Maybe you’ll get a surprise chair in the mail.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Hot Diggity! posted:

Dear Sister is such a good skit

OOH watch--OOH wat--OOH wa--OOH watcha sayyy

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah there was Ladies Man in 2000 and MacGruber in 2010 and that's been in it. The 90's were the only period in SNL's history when they made a bunch.

It’s good that they stopped. Imagine how excruciating the Californians movie would be

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I feel like this current batch of SNL performers/writers aren’t really doing much with regards to recurring characters. Pete Davidson does the Chad skits but there’s no way that carries a 90 minute movie; most of the other recurring bits I can think of are either imitations of celebrities or repeating concepts, like the diner lobster sketch.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

GD_American posted:

It’s good that they stopped. Imagine how excruciating the Californians movie would be

I already saw la la land

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I have to admit I love the Ladies Man movie, the speech he gives before signing out and getting fired makes me laugh like a madman every time.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Freaquency posted:

I feel like this current batch of SNL performers/writers aren’t really doing much with regards to recurring characters.

They're too focused on political satire. I'm sure it's been great for ratings and for the performers' careers while Trump was president but it doesn't leave much room for much else.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Roy Blunt isn't running for Senate again in 2022.

Calling Jason Kander's shot now.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

That's so blatantly obvious it's almost insulting which of course means it'll get blown out of proportion by people not getting what they're doing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The bias against female chefs is much starker in Europe too.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Amy Pole Her posted:

No, just the kids from lonely island did their first movie. They got their platform due to SNL tho so I’ve gotta roll with that.

Edit Lorne Michaels producer and executive producer credits are absolutely *insane*. If it’s been funny over the last 15 years on tv there’s like a 25% chance he gets money from it

Word doing a lot of work there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The fake ads SNL has been running recently have been pretty funny. I liked the Passive Aggressive Peloton one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The only SNL characters I could see getting a movie is maaaaybe Kristen Wiig's Sue (the "I'm so FREAKIN excited" woman who can't keep a secret) or Bill Hader's Stefon but neither of them are current cast characters.

Alternatively: make a musical based on John Mulaney's Bodega Bathroom.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Roy Blunt isn't running for Senate again in 2022.

Calling Jason Kander's shot now.

He's already said no, as has Claire McCaskill.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

seiferguy posted:

The only SNL characters I could see getting a movie is maaaaybe Kristen Wiig's Sue (the "I'm so FREAKIN excited" woman who can't keep a secret) or Bill Hader's Stefon but neither of them are current cast characters.

Alternatively: make a musical based on John Mulaney's Bodega Bathroom.

The last extended Stefon skit showed that he doesn’t even really work as a short film.

Id like to see them flesh out some of the weirder “ten to one” sketches.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
SNL arguably helped Trump win the election in 2016 by having him host during his campaign

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Still can't believe they made a movie based on that skit. Since I'm thinking about it, when was the last time there was a movie based on SNL? Seemed like the 90s were full of them, but last one I can think of is MacGruber, which was from 2010.

It used to be that if you got hired or promoted to being a repertory player on SNL, the standard three- or five-year contract had language that said not only did Lorne have the rights to make movies from any characters you created, but he also had dibs on producing--and taking a healthy fee from--any movie offers that came your way while you were under contract. Basically, if you were signed to SNL (again, as repertory; they don't give a poo poo about the featured players, who also get paid in peanuts and "exposure"), Lorne completely owned your existence during that time.

That dynamic shifted at some point in the 2000s, and I think it was actually the Lonely Island guys who instigated that change by saying, "Wait, no, Lorne, you don't get a cut of our poo poo that has nothing to do with you just because one of your scouts discovered Samberg."

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Nick Jr. Face posted:

SNL arguably helped Trump win the election in 2016 by having him host during his campaign

don't forget jimmy fallon tousling trump's hair as if he were a cute little ragamuffin

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

MrLogan posted:

Word doing a lot of work there.

Like true SNL for every Keenan and The What Is Love brothers or whatever it’s called, there’s a 30 Rock.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

See you guys in a few months

https://twitter.com/WiStateJournal/status/1368977318019010560?s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

People have been saying “SNL sucks now but it used to be great” for 40 years.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Stefon is definitely one of my "am I being gaslit by people saying they love this character so much" things in comedy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People have been saying “SNL sucks now but it used to be great” for 40 years.

I'll say it again: most SNL skits are mediocre to bad, but usually you'll get 1-2 good ones per episode with maybe 1 a season hitting the legendary status. This has been the case for almost every season, regardless of cast.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Eifert Posting posted:

The bias against female chefs is much starker in Europe too.

I have a close friend who spent years building up her resume traveling around specifically to work with michelin star chefs. It was constant walls and dismissal in the kitchen, and one in particular the chef's long time sous chef refused to say her name or look her in the eye her entire time there.

A decade of that just killed her passion completely, and that's the only thing that'll push someone through all of that bullshit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JPrime posted:

don't forget jimmy fallon tousling trump's hair as if he were a cute little ragamuffin

That is inarguably more to blame for humanizing and legitimizing Trump than SNL. When Trump hosted SNL, the RNC was still three months away from its first state primary election.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

JPrime posted:

I recently rewatched the Christopher Walken "more cowbell" skit and Fallon has like 2 lines and still breaks up. Ugh.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

seiferguy posted:

I'll say it again: most SNL skits are mediocre to bad, but usually you'll get 1-2 good ones per episode with maybe 1 a season hitting the legendary status. This has been the case for almost every season, regardless of cast.

Yep - I’ll sometimes catch the Vintage episodes that air before the current episodes, and even with those being pared down to an hour you still get a fair few stinkers.

I think we get unreasonable expectations sometimes, or at least I do, because I remember watching those Comedy Central reruns as a teen and laughing my rear end off, but a) kids are invariably stupid and laugh at anything and b) those are even more cherry-picked than the Vintage episodes. The writer’s room has to put together probably a dozen topical sketches, write in hosts of all sorts of varying comedic skills, and get them ready to air in under a week. It’s honestly a surprise that their hit to miss ratio is as good as it is.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Has there been a legendary status skit since Lonely Island left though

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

CannonFodder posted:

I recently rewatched the Christopher Walken "more cowbell" skit and Fallon has like 2 lines and still breaks up. Ugh.

Everyone breaking is part of what makes that sketch work though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Unoriginal take: the SNL you saw as a teen is what you enjoy the most & the eras when you become an adult pale in comparison.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Unoriginal take: the SNL you saw as a teen is what you enjoy the most & the eras when you become an adult pale in comparison.

SNL has and always will be around 95% miss and 5% hit.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

just like Mario Kart

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Still can't believe they made a movie based on that skit. Since I'm thinking about it, when was the last time there was a movie based on SNL? Seemed like the 90s were full of them, but last one I can think of is MacGruber, which was from 2010.

Yeah, now they either do a mediocre remake of something with Paul Fiege or a dramady with Judd Apatow if an SNL cast member wants a film career.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Alaois posted:

just like Mario Kart

I freely acknowledge that Mario Kart 64 is inferior to all its sequels.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

dirty shrimp money posted:

Tom Hanks in Black Jeopardy is probably one of my favorite skits of all time.

Pops Mgee posted:

Everyone breaking is part of what makes that sketch work though.

Everyone except Walken. Dude doesn't break an inch.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Not all heroes wear capes

https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1368983057479393284?s=21

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Yes, but they were all written and starred John Mulaney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6xjO1JoR8

and of course the Diner Lobster, Bodega Bathroom, Airport Sushi... Drag Brunch was also really popular when it first came out but that was his first time hosting like 5 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

When was Schweddy Balls?