Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Hellblazer187 posted:

Is there a term for like, the bad guy version of the Ace of the company? Like when Hunter was on top in WWE for 10 years, or Flair in NWA/WCW. I feel like "company ace" should be a babyface most of the time. Even in a company that typically has faces on top - what would a guy like Edge have been called while Cena was ace?
I can't remember where I read this, but I remember someone (a wrestling columnist maybe) years ago calling the long-term top heel position "The Jack", and it always stuck with me.

The logic is that it's not the King/Queen, which is whoever your men's/women's champions are at the time, and it's not the Ace who carries the company long-term with or without the title, but it's still within the royal family and represents the bastard character. That also tracks with the Jack card also being known as the "Knave", which is a rogue/villain archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

sticklefifer posted:

I can't remember where I read this, but I remember someone (a wrestling columnist maybe) years ago calling the long-term top heel position "The Jack", and it always stuck with me.

The logic is that it's not the King/Queen, which is whoever your men's/women's champions are at the time, and it's not the Ace who carries the company long-term with or without the title, but it's still within the royal family and represents the bastard character. That also tracks with the Jack card also being known as the "Knave", which is a rogue/villain archetype.

That's pretty good.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

OK well this is the right answer then. I love it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does a clip of Chris Warren's version of "Star Spangled Banner" from WrestleMania XIV exist? I've never actually seen it.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I know I've heard plenty of American examples over the years, but are there many Japanese wrestlers who are/were notoriously difficult to work with?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FakePoet posted:

I know I've heard plenty of American examples over the years, but are there many Japanese wrestlers who are/were notoriously difficult to work with?

Koji Kitao was an absolute nightmare, iirc

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Alaois posted:

I remember hearing about his match with John Tenta, where he stopped selling his moves and then grabbed a mic saying wrestling is fake, and got fired. He also said something racist towards Riki Choshu (who is zainichi korean),which got him fired from NJPW earlier.

He was also apparently one of the worst yokozunas in sumo wrestling, never winning a championship before or after his promotion. (Correct me if I’m wrong on this)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

FakePoet posted:

Akira Maeda is the first name that comes to mind as having a rep for maybe going into business for himself, but he argued his "shooting" on Riki Choshu was just an accident, he didn't mean to break his orbital bone. Kitao is another one.

For more modern guys, I've heard that Hideki Suzuki & Kazuyuki Fujita can both be reluctant to put guys over because hey, I'm a legitimate shooter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aku posted:

I remember hearing about his match with John Tenta, where he stopped selling his moves and then grabbed a mic saying wrestling is fake, and got fired. He also said something racist towards Riki Choshu (who is zainichi korean),which got him fired from NJPW earlier.

He was also apparently one of the worst yokozunas in sumo wrestling, never winning a championship before or after his promotion. (Correct me if I’m wrong on this)

He won a couple of lower division championships. He was basically forced into retirement from sumo because he was an rear end in a top hat to the juniors in his stable & ended up getting chewed out by the gym head & so Kitao stormed out & allegedly hit his coach's wife on the way out. So that it continued into wrestling wasn't a shocker.

It's fun to watch his UFC 9 fight against the 185lbs Mark Hall with that in mind.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

FakePoet posted:

Early FMW brought in martial artists who weren't wrestlers and were often really hard to work with - aside from Kitao, Ueda was a major league rear end in a top hat to the point where Dr. Luther legit choked him out with a strap because he wouldn't cooperate for the finish.

Strong Kobayashi allegedly used to grope people during matches all the time, so I'd count that too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Alaois posted:

The story about him shooting on a US indy guy for acting like a typical ugly American tourist is amazing

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I remember hearing a lot about "brother" YASSHI being a real piece of poo poo backstage, but apparently he turned himself around in the years after he was fired from DG, and then was allowed to come back over a decade later.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Aku posted:

he's the only yokuzuna never to win a yusho in his entire career, yes. he only lasted a year due to scandals. he was known to be abusive to his young boys and the final straw was when he allegedly hit his oyakata's wife after an argument which led to his forced resignation. there's rumors he was framed but he was undoubtedly a lovely person from p much all anecdotes of him as either a pro wrestler or a rikishi regardless.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Did Kensuke Sasaki face charges for the incident with that kid that was recruited by Hiroshi Hase?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There are so many moves with national qualifiers in their names (Irish Whip, Canadian Backbreaker/Destroyer, European Uppercut, etc). Has there ever been a wrestler with a "worldly"/globetrotting gimmick where they only use those kinds of moves? Done right, it sounds like it could be a really fun character, especially if they had to justify the origin whenever adding a new moves.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

There are so many moves with national qualifiers in their names (Irish Whip, Canadian Backbreaker/Destroyer, European Uppercut, etc). Has there ever been a wrestler with a "worldly"/globetrotting gimmick where they only use those kinds of moves? Done right, it sounds like it could be a really fun character, especially if they had to justify the origin whenever adding a new moves.

Given what a student of wrestling he is, that would have been a great gimmick for Chris Hero in WWE if they'd had any interest in using him properly

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Early FMW brought in martial artists who weren't wrestlers and were often really hard to work with - aside from Kitao, Ueda was a major league rear end in a top hat to the point where Dr. Luther legit choked him out with a strap because he wouldn't cooperate for the finish.

Godamn. Dr Luther rules.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The story about him shooting on a US indy guy for acting like a typical ugly American tourist is amazing
According to an eyewitness:

For reasons I forget, Kitao did a U.S. tour, and it included a Pittsburgh booking against Preston Steele. Steele goes over to Kitao and says “In this country, we work light. Light. Not stiff. Light.” The whole time, he's doing the loud boorish American tourist speaking broken English thing. When he leaves, Kitao turns to Shirley Doe and says some variation of “gently caress him! I speak English; he could have asked.” The match happens, Kitao gives him an uranage onto his his shoulder, separating it, kicks him a bunch, and pins him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Being the worst champion ever is a real accomplishment in a sport with records going back over 220 years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Edge & Christian posted:

There might be some name changes (a la Max and Jeremy Buck) that are letting things slip through the cracks, but some long-standing tag teams I don't see any 1v1 matches between:

Sheepherders/Bushwackers
Wild Samoans
The Nasty Boys
The Good Brothers
The Usos
Heavy Machinery
The New Day* (Big E vs. Kofi and Big E vs Xavier both happened pre-New-Day, but Kofi & Xavier have never wrestled each other 1v1)
Buff Bagwell and Judy Bagwell
Braun Strowman and Nicholas
Santana and Ortiz wrestled once in Beyond circa 2016

Wayne Bloom has wrestled Mike Enos, for the 2 of you who might care.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thauros posted:

he's the only yokuzuna never to win a yusho in his entire career, yes. he only lasted a year due to scandals. he was known to be abusive to his young boys and the final straw was when he allegedly hit his oyakata's wife after an argument which led to his forced resignation. there's rumors he was framed but he was undoubtedly a lovely person from p much all anecdotes of him as either a pro wrestler or a rikishi regardless.

Finding it hard to feel bad Mark Hall made his nose explode.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Subjectively, Is Edge better than Christian?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TV Zombie posted:

No

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TV Zombie posted:

There is more evidence that Edge is better in terms of great matches and angles but you can counter that Christian did not get as many chances and when he did get those chances some of them were booked by Vince Russo.

But subjectively, no, right now Christian better.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I love em both, but Christian was always the worker.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edge is the better character, but I feel Christian is the better wrestler

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I think both would be good in AEW, but Christian gets much more of a boost not being booked by Vince because he's got that in-ring brain that gets stifled by the over-scripting of WWE.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Procrastinator posted:

I think both would be good in AEW, but Christian gets much more of a boost not being booked by Vince because he's got that in-ring brain that gets stifled by the over-scripting of WWE.

The first time I was ready to quit WWE completely was when Christian won the WHC and then days later dropped it to Orton on TV. Then the pipe bomb segment happened shortly after to keep me in place.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

TV Zombie posted:

My question in response is: at what?

I think that Christian is a better wrestler and a better talker, but Edge has this really strong intangible. I look at Christian and see a great wrestler. I look at Edge and see a star.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lamuella posted:

I think that Christian is a better wrestler and a better talker, but Edge has this really strong intangible. I look at Christian and see a great wrestler. I look at Edge and see a star.

Edge didn't need to be a good wrestler to be a star. Christian needed to be a good wrestler to keep his job.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Being the worst champion ever is a real accomplishment in a sport with records going back over 220 years.

His sumo career was pretty pro wrestlingesque in the politics behind his push and eventual firing. He only got the spot due to an older dude retiring and the bookers deciding they needed someone they could promote as the guy. He got picked as he was a young dude who was doing pretty darn well and had all the makings of a star but hadn’t quite earned it (like Shield Roman).

He was probably already a dick, but it really went to his head and he actually had the power to act on it with the promotion. And since he couldn’t live up to the hype in the ring, they cut bait rather than deal with it when they could and since sumo is a one promotion world, jumping to puro is the closest thing to jumping from promotion to promotion after burning bridges.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sumo is really between a rock and a hard place with this stuff. It's a sport that highly values tradition and respectability, and the training system is built around these insular stables. And they need there to be at least a couple yokozuna at any given time. So the people who get chosen to represent the sport are champions close to the peak of their career, which typically means that they're like 25 years old and the top dogs of a dojo system that's notorious for hazing.

Was Kitao the first yokozuna to be forcibly retired? Hopefully we'll see less of this fratboy poo poo after Asashoryu and Harumafuji.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Lamuella posted:

I think that Christian is a better wrestler and a better talker, but Edge has this really strong intangible is tall. I look at Christian and see a great wrestler. I look at Edge and see a star because he's tall.

Fixed that for you.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Okay. That wasn't what I meant, though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TheKingslayer posted:

Godamn. Dr Luther rules.

He has some great FMW stories, as he was very young and given a push out of nowhere in one of the more insane promotions out there.

Jericho brained Ueda with a chair during a match for being an unsafe rear end in a top hat, if I recall correctly.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Who invented the draping DDT? Was it Randy Orton?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Suplex Liberace posted:

Who invented the draping DDT? Was it Randy Orton?
No. It was Bull Pain.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

davidbix posted:

No. It was Bull Pain.

I think you'll find, according to WWE records, that Randal Keith Orton has created many moves in his long and storied career:

- The RKO
- The Garvin Orton Stomp
- RKO through a table
- Draping DDT
- The Punt
- RKOs out of nowhere
- The quick little whiparound and pounding on the mat thing to lead up to RKOs
- RELEASE THE DOVES pose
- Mid-Air RKO

Edit: Does anyone have the summary of the proposed storyline where Orton uses a time machine to stop Hulkamania, and an old broken down Hogan has to beat Orton and Hulk Up for the "first" time and reset the timeline to save Hulkamania?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

davidbix posted:

No. It was Bull Pain.

Thank you bix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn’t he once separate his elbow or shoulder while doing his little slap the mat tantrum?