Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only disadvantage of a new player on an aged server will be their skills, but they won't be unable to compete as gear and food is where 99% of your capabilities come from.

Just power them up with some upgraded gear and set 'em loose on the countryside. Also take them through the boss fights in order, because they're pretty fun to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm interested in giving this a try, but I'm hesitant to look up too much information because I don't want to spoil any content.

Having said that, can I just start playing by myself and invite my friends along later to my island? Few of my friends are going to hold off before they play, but I want to jump right in. I know the game has a procedural generated map, but I am confused about how it works with multiplayer. Do we each get our own islands and they can come visit whenever they want? Do we all share the same island?

If you start first then you will be the one who has the world file on your computer. There's nothing wrong with starting first, and having other people join in. They will have their own character files, but will be joining your world. Any players who join your world for the first time spawn at the stone circle, and later on will rejoin wherever they log off.

There's two ways that multiplayer can work - while you can play Valheim solo when you are loading into the world you can click a little box to make a temporary server and have your friends join you; if they're on your steam friends list they will be able to see your world when you are playing and join you there. Because you host, when you stop playing everyone does. Their own characters, in terms of stats and what they are carrying, stay with them. If you're all going to play at the same time, or just want to try out co-op to see what it's like, this is a good starting point.

You can also set up a dedicated server that runs on your computer with the world file you specify. As long as the server is running, anyone who has the IP address for that server and a password you specify can log into that world and play, even if you yourself are not playing. Even if you're not there, your friends can log on and affect the world. If you're only going to have a few friends playing setting this up on your own computer is probably fine, depending on your hardware; my computer is a few years old but handled three people playing simultaneously no problem. This is how my group ended up playing through the content; setting it up required about 45 minutes of looking up one of the million tutorials for Valheim Dedicated Servers on google and then getting all the ports opened on my end. I'm dumb, though, and someone who has done this kind of thing before will be able to do it a lot faster.

If you think you'll have more people than that playing, you may want to look into renting a server for the game from a third party for a month or so. You would move your world file to that rented server, and everyone would connect to that instead. There's less setup involved that way, but obviously you spend a little bit of money.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bioshuffle posted:

Does this mean my friends can just spawn on my island when they buy the game and benefit from the work I put in prior to their arrival? I was going to wait until they get the game to start together, but it's just too tempting.

Yep!
I play solo and have some friends drop in and help build stuff, then I go to their place and help out.

You take your character inventory with you so you don't have to start over.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The idea of doing separate solo saves and then popping on together to kill the bosses on an entirely separate server with a communal base is kind of a neat one. Like a potluck base.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Also, I killed bone mass on another server and hung his head on this one. Finally got a raid - was still the swamp creatures. Good to know

This def makes me want to kill him on another server rather than our group's "home" server.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Killing a boss doesn't bump all raids up, it just opens up the new "tier". You'll still get the old ones as well

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Broken Cog posted:

Killing a boss doesn't bump all raids up, it just opens up the new "tier". You'll still get the old ones as well

I'm not certain that is entirely true.
Eikthyr only sent animals after me before I killed it and never since.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Inzombiac posted:

I was still getting "The ground shakes" after killing the 4th boss

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Does this mean my friends can just spawn on my island when they buy the game and benefit from the work I put in prior to their arrival? I was going to wait until they get the game to start together, but it's just too tempting.

That makes sense. Thanks! Time to get do some Viking things.

As a personal recommendation I'd say be careful about rushing your friends through the game, giving them items or bringing your own higher leveled items into the communal game world. Most of the fun in the game right now comes from exploration, discovery and incremental crafting progress. If your friends get lost in any of those aspects or feel like you have an unfair advantage, it may lower their motivation to stick it out. It might be good to make a home server for yourself and put most items in the chest before going to the multiplayer server. Bringing over basic building blocks like wood, stone, leather scraps, meat etc. might also be better than handing out finished gear.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Squibbles posted:

I did not, and I won't stand for such a horrible break from realism. 1 cooking spit per fire for me! (Disregard the thatched roof above my cooking fires not igniting into a roaring inferno)

You can put like 2 or 3 and it would still be realistic. Obviously packing them in super tight isn't though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Broken Cog posted:

??? okay

I was saying that I think the first raid, the Eikthyr one that sends boars and necks after you, gets removed from rotation once you kill it.

"The Ground Shakes" is Trolls, right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All I get are surtling raids

Is there a mosquito invasion?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Inzombiac posted:

??? okay

I was saying that I think the first raid, the Eikthyr one that sends boars and necks after you, gets removed from rotation once you kill it.

"The Ground Shakes" is Trolls, right?

Then I misunderstood I guess, I figured you meant that you only get the highest tiers of raids after killing a boss. Sorry.
But yeah, that's trolls.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bioshuffle posted:

This will probably be less fun for them. Better to create a new communal world when they plan on joining, I would think, and then bring over your wise, kitted out character to teach them the ways of the land by building a really cool house and helping them out on corpse runs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Broken Cog posted:

Then I misunderstood I guess, I figured you meant that you only get the highest tiers of raids after killing a boss. Sorry.
But yeah, that's trolls.

Haha, no worries.

I'm deep in the iron age and wish Eikthyr would try to step up again. That would be hilarious.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Inzombiac posted:

Haha, no worries.

I'm deep in the iron age and wish Eikthyr would try to step up again. That would be hilarious.
They should keep the old raids, but scale them up. Send hundreds of deer and boars at us.

Two trolls when you're running with black metal weaponry isn't much of a threat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you planted trees too close together, is there a way to get the seeds back and try again?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

xzzy posted:

Only disadvantage of a new player on an aged server will be their skills, but they won't be unable to compete as gear and food is where 99% of your capabilities come from.

Just power them up with some upgraded gear and set 'em loose on the countryside. Also take them through the boss fights in order, because they're pretty fun to see.

Killing the 5th boss makes goblins spawn in all biomes at night. Anyone without at least wolf armor and iron shield will probably be killed instantly and very frequently.

Sure, you can just give them that gear and have them survive, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a game where the end game ins't implemented yet. None of the fights are remotely challenging if you are properly geared, so just spawning, being given a bunch of gear and fighting yagluth is probably not very fun.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Reminder if your friends join late they need to pick up EVERYTHING including intermediate ingredients to unlock all the recipes themselves. The game is definitely designed for you to pick up and learn as you go.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bioshuffle posted:

That makes sense. Thanks! Time to get do some Viking things.

bus hustler posted:

Reminder if your friends join late they need to pick up EVERYTHING including intermediate ingredients to unlock all the recipes themselves. The game is definitely designed for you to pick up and learn as you go.

Yeah, I joined after a few other people I know, and they gave me some bronze age hand-me-downs when I had been wearing leather. I realized doing this I'd be skipping a ton of stuff and so I went back to playing solo. That means I ended up with a bunch of stuff I couldn't fix until I worked my own way up through the bronze age.

It's definitely more rewarding to do it yourself, and that also keeps you leveled appropriately with your gear/enemies.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Inzombiac posted:

You're both right. There's some raids, like the troll one, that stay open forever, but there's also a "boss raid" which is always defined by the next boss you're supposed to kill.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Broken Cog posted:

There are two types of events. Those that occur during a certain boss being next, and a separate set that are unlocked by boss kills but occur forever after that. The "foul smell from the swamp" for example occurs after second boss kill but before the third, but once you kill Bonemass, those stop. But things like the troll invasion unlock after killing the second boss and are permanently mixed into the possible events. The first type seem to be themed around the boss you currently have in your crosshairs, the second type increase the variety of random events as you progress.

I can't 100% confirm but it also seems moving up the tiers makes the world in general more dangerous. I'm on the fourth boss (haven't killed him yet) and I'm getting mobbed by skeletons absolutely everywhere, including in biomes I never saw them in before, even during the day. I don't even try to do anything at night any more.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cant get mods working on this game. Its incredubly frustrating though! I just want to pull from containers god drat it!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

I have not gotten "the forest is moving" since we killed the Elder

I think the Troll attack may persist but everything I've seen seems to indicate that when you kill a boss, the raids go up a tier, with the troll ones always being a possibility.

I expect that if you kill Bonemass and play on that server, you no longer get "A Smell from the Swamp" anymore.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ravenfood posted:

If you planted trees too close together, is there a way to get the seeds back and try again?

Nope, have to spear or something a few to destroy them and clear up enough space for the remainder.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I might be missing something obvious, but what dictates where you spawn when you go through a portal? Is it always out of the side with the lit writing? Is it the same/opposite compass direction you went in? Because I never figured it out, all my portals have space in front and behind, which is wasteful!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I might be missing something obvious, but what dictates where you spawn when you go through a portal? Is it always out of the side with the lit writing? Is it the same/opposite compass direction you went in? Because I never figured it out, all my portals have space in front and behind, which is wasteful!

You always come out on the side with the writing, but you can enter from any side.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

You come out the side with the lit writing.

More specifically, you kind of spawn right on top of the portal, but you're facing out from the runes, so stepping forward, that's the side you come out of.

I usually leave about a foot or so of space on the back side of my portals just to avoid any clipping issues. Otherwise I have them all set up against walls.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The portal model also has a point sticking out from the center of its base, like an arrow, indicating which way you exit

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fun portal tip - if you rename a portal you have a few seconds to hop through to the far side, which is a great way to rename a pair of portals.

It's also a great way to strand yourself in the middle of nowhere if you mess up the portal name, or give it a name you're already using.

It's not a horrible idea to have a dedicated portal in a safe base somewhere with an easy tag to remember that is not connected to anything. Keep portal materials on your person and if you find yourself shipwrecked or otherwise trapped in a bad spot you have a quick way out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've put portals backwards before and come out the back side because the glowing side was facing a wall.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I have a swamp just like this, but mine spawned a surtling flame in the middle of the water. It was fun to sail by and hear the surtlings die instantly upon spawning. However, it earned the name "Hell Island" because I thought as I was sailing around that I could drop by and maybe just jump in the water and farm the cores as they appeared. Unfortunately, the island also spawned a 2* draugr archer who shot the poo poo out of me since I was only in troll gear. I wanted my iron weapons back, so I re-geared and sailed back better prepped this time, only to get killed by the same fucker.

Now there's just two empty karves sitting in the water around there and I haven't been back since.

For me it's the Oozers. First one jumped up my tree house and trapped me when I was trying to set up a home portal. Then I moved to another püart of the swamp that had an innocent looking stone tower. Not quite so innocent after all and when I tried to run one jumped on my boat. Since then I'm on my third hot landing in something of an even dumber version of a viking D-day.
I'm sure this time I have killed enough of them/bring a mace/didn't forget my poison resist potions.

Edit: 4th hot landing.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I expect that if you kill Bonemass and play on that server, you no longer get "A Smell from the Swamp" anymore.

Smells like sausage imo

genericnick fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 8, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

genericnick posted:

Smells like sausage imo

Yeah, I got two surtling invasions in a row close to each other and I was just like "sweet, thanks for the coal, idiots."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how greydwarves turn into everyone's bitch. An event gets announced and you run through your gate to see an army of skeletons beating the poo poo out of some unlucky blue eyes.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Not quite as impressive as some of y'all but my solo house has been coming along

Excuse our mess, harbor is still under construction (I've been running the stargate portal setup):

Great hall. Needs a raven throne but I haven't been able to spare the iron yet

From the backside. The wrap-around balcony started life as scaffolding to build the roof, but when I realized how much of a shooting gallery it was up there during invasions I expanded it and added a sheltered spot.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Broken Cog posted:

You'll get raids based on the next boss you have to kill. You also start unlocking other types of raids after certain bosses, provided you have killed certain enemies as well.

For example "the ground shakes" encounters require killing X boss plus at least one troll to activate.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Captain Lavender posted:

Hi, I just need to vent. Post-boss-3 spoilers

My game has no silver apparently. I got the wishbone from Bonemass, and ran around 3 mountains (what I've learned are very small mountains), and it didn't signal one time. I wasted a ton of time sailing, finding mountains, making some sort of encampment and finding absolutely nothing on mountains. One of the 3 had obsidian at least.

Today, I just sailed 2/3 the way to the edge of the map and found a fourth, bigger mountain. I ran around it and finally got the wishbong to ping. I dug and dug... and I'm as low as I can go... and there's no silver. My wishbone is ringing like mad, and I can't go any lower. If I move in any direction, the signal is less-intense.

I love this game, but all this represents like a week or more of play sessions for me, and I just want to poo poo myself about it

Thanks

As with crypts, I found it feast or famine. Try finding a runestone for boss 4 , there should be a lot of the stuff around. Also Silver seems to have a minimum spawning height. I found 3 deposits about 10 meters away from each other for example.

I also had the itch to build a spire lookout in the plains, it's crazy how high you can go with those rocks. Once you get high enough your stuff starts to get covered in snow.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Screw you, that's my tower now. Pictured: My fleet of corpse-run rafts, the glowy bits are unreclaimed grave markers.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Also is there some mechanic that gives you extra minutes of no skill drain if you die repeatedly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Efb