Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Anyone watch the TV film that came out a few years ago called King Charles III? It's basically a thought experiment about what would happen when the queen dies. Essentially, it posits that Charles is incapable of not meddling in politics and then causes a constitutional crisis. He's then forced to abdicate by his children in order to save a monarchy on the verge of collapse and then extremely begrudgingly kings William. It's also kind of weirdly prescient because Harry gets a black girlfriend (though a working class British lady with a council flat) and then leaves the royalty.

So the whole "the crown should leapfrog Charles to William" idea is pretty established. What's most interesting about all this stuff now is that William's brand is also being tarnished.

E: btw, is there anywhere to watch the whole interview right now?

I just found out that a friend of a friend knows Harry & Meghan personally and apparently they're perfectly pleasant people, while Brenda is out of touch, Andrew was seen coming out of the drive way of a girls' school shortly after that interview it was because he refused to cancel an appearance at the building next to that girls' school and William absolutely cheated on Kate while keeping up the appearance of a squeaky clean future leader. In summary go H&M gently caress em up and maybe accidentally end the monarchy.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

Stranger in a Strsnge Land is pre cyberpunk :colbert:

I just came here to say that but fortunately checked the thread before replying.

Jedit posted:

No, "grok" is taken from Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land and means to understand something. Entirely different.

I see. I assumed 'grokked' was the past participle of 'grok'.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

White foreigners in Egypt are often referred to as khawaga. There are variations on what it means and whether it is 'respectful' or not.
Educated Egyptians will tell you it is meant as a term of respect. Ha. One of the definitions is "wheat face" and I've definitely had it said about me in my hearing in a non-respectful tone! (And see the bus driver's face when having commented something in Arabic along the lines of "where does the stupid wheat face think she's going" to a passenger, I replied loudly in my best Arabic "RmZEES inshallah" (stress on the ZEES which is where it belongs, not on the RAM which is where stupid wheat faces normally put it! Ramses = main train station)

I love the sub-saharan "muzungu" just because of its origin - wanderer. Presumably "oh for fucksake, another one's muzungued out of the bush. No don't take a job being his porter you'll end up 200 miles away with those Ovambo and we'll never see the money."

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Private Speech posted:

I just had a look at their website and yes it's absolutely insane.

Like £25-£35 for a random miniature.

I just bought a resin 3D printer for less than $300 and it prints stuff like that for about 10p worth of resin. I think they might be in trouble soon.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Unkempt posted:

I just bought a resin 3D printer for less than $300 and it prints stuff like that for about 10p worth of resin. I think they might be in trouble soon.

They're doing brilliantly. If I'd stuck my entire pension fund in GW shares a few years back, I'd be able to comfortably retire by now, 'cos they've gone up by something ridiculous like 1,300%. Basically, they looked at 2 strategies: selling cheap minatures to encourage as many people into the hobby as possible, or sell very expensive minatures aimed at a relatively small number of 'whales' (nerds with well-paying jobs in coding and engineering and the like). They chose the 2nd option, which has paid off extremely nicely for them.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

people used to say proxies would kill off m:tg and here we are

as an aside does anybody want to buy a set of underground sea (revised edition)

kecske fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 8, 2021

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

They're doing brilliantly. If I'd stuck my entire pension fund in GW shares a few years back, I'd be able to comfortably retire by now, 'cos they've gone up by something ridiculous like 1,300%. Basically, they looked at 2 strategies: selling cheap minatures to encourage as many people into the hobby as possible, or sell very expensive minatures aimed at a relatively small number of 'whales' (nerds with well-paying jobs in coding and engineering and the like). They chose the 2nd option, which has paid off extremely nicely for them.

Yeah, well, FiloFax were doing very nicely in the 90s. I'm seriously shocked by how cheap and good 3D printing has become in just the last couple of years.

I've printed this miscellaneous crap just in the last few days, on something that cost about 200 quid:

It might not shut them down but it's going to have some sort of effect, that's for sure. It's absolutely perfect for making little plastic nerd things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The point of warhams is you're paying for the officialness of them, that's why they have their own paint lines and poo poo.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

To stan for my favourite model toy company for a moment, GW models are only expensive if you a) buy direct from GW or b) are buying things outside of the (generally insanely good value) boxes. The models are available on reseller websites/FLGSs for 15-20% off, even when newly launched. If you buy the boxes they get even cheaper. It is a hobby for people with spare cash though. I probably could put an army together for dirt cheap but it would mean scrounging on facebook/ebay for parts or second hand models.

The reason 3d printing hasn't cut into their margins (or indeed probably will never) is that GW are fairly strict on their own tournaments forcing people to use (except in rare circumstances) the official models. If you run a tournament and want support from GW (for prizes/recognition) you will probably want the same rules. If you're a warhammer youtuber or something and you want new releases from GW, you drat sure are going to have to use their models. They've got a decent stranglehold on the market as a result.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Even with 3D printers everywhere GW still can't be beat for the quality of their minis, and, like MTG, their games have enough of a market share that so long as they continue to provide even just minimal support for their products people interested in miniature wargaming will drop huge amounts of money on them.

GW were doing pretty poorly a few years back, generally phoning it in all while upping prices enough that people were dropping off (one of the long-running threads in Trad Games was the "GW Death Thread," trying to predict when it would finally go bust). Then they dumped their CEO, made their prices a bit more reasonable, started being more responsive to fan feedback, and things started picking up again. Now with the pandemic driving prices for hobby stuff through the roof they, like WoTC and MTG, are more profitable than ever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

that's why they have their own paint lines and poo poo.
So that their land raiders know where to park?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think also the success of a lot of the video game adaptations helps to draw people in, and they will throw the warhammer license around pretty willy nilly at this point (and in fairness, total warhammers is the best total war game by a mile, the setting is absolutely great for videogames because everybody wants to know what would happen if the holy roman empire fought valinor, king arthur, and jurassic park at the same time)

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

3D printing has improved but still isnt close to the quality of a professionally produced miniature. If you dont care much about that it can be a good option but then that's hardly new, you've always been able to proxy models if you wanted.

It also still requires a level of tech savviness most people wont want to bother with.

It might reach a point where it is cheap enough, fast enough and convenient enough to replace mini companies but it's not now.

I also wonder how it will affect the creative side of things. Someone has to design the models in the first place. I can imagine it going like the world of ttrpg design, where the ease of access to production/distribution helps depress the wages of those trying to make a living off it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also GW have increased the complexity of the design of their miniatures in part to make 3d printing harder

People also underestimate the difficulty of the scanning/3d modelling to get a GW quality miniature - you're paying a premium of convenience.

The other thing that GW did is go heavy in licensing, they didn't used to for some reason but with the change in CEO a few years back they had a change of heart which is basically an excuse to print money

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Random Integer posted:

It might reach a point where it is cheap enough, fast enough and convenient enough to replace mini companies but it's not now.

All I'm saying is that it very nearly is now. Last time I looked around at 3D printers they were way more expensive and fiddly and hobby based. For some reason I looked a couple of weeks ago and Holy poo poo that's good, and it's how much? Printing consists of pouring resin into the vat, putting the model on a USB stick and hitting 'Go'. It really has come on amazingly and amazingly quickly.

GW keeping their IP close and only allowing 'authentic' ones in competition is obviously a different thing but it feels very Metallica v Napster to me.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
huh finally got a "hey do you wanna join the labour party" email which presumably means they've worked out i've left at some point

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah it's an incredibly good setting for videos game, and being willing to let games get made has surely helped both directly because they get money from the licensee and indirectly from people who, quite reasonably, want a physical Mazdamundi on their desk. E; and of course the fact there are some great games now like Total Warhams and 40k Mechanicus is helpful.

Honestly making the preparation, in terms of painting and stuff, such a big part of minis was genius, it makes it into a hobby in and of itself even if you never go play a match.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It depends on what you're looking for, if it's just the music then yeah, you would download it, but if you are looking for official play and recognition you're asking why people pay to watch football when you can buy a football in the shop. Or why they pay to go to concerts, to keep it more in line with the metaphor.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 8, 2021

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

I mean if you’re going to fantasize about being being able to predict the future you may as well just buy winning lottery tickets in advance.

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

MikeCrotch posted:

The other thing that GW did is go heavy in licensing, they didn't used to for some reason but with the change in CEO a few years back they had a change of heart which is basically an excuse to print money
I'm fairly sure the Creative Assembly devs getting to include never-before-seen factions in Total Warhammer 3 -- which is unheard of creative freedom for a GW licensee -- is because Total Warhammer 2 wasn't just a money printer, it was a money factory. Even five years ago the whole concept would have been preposterous because GW had such an insular culture and refused to acknowledge the possibilities of licensing beyond letting Fantasy Flight Games do a bunch of RPG sourcebooks, but it's a completely different company now.

(Although the one thing they still won't tolerate is potentially enabling a direct competitor. It's suspected that the reason FFG lost their long-running GW license is because they were finding success in the miniatures business themselves with their X-Wing game.)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Took them long enough to learn from the debacle of pulling out of StarCraft and making Blizz hastily file the serial numbers off.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There's not yet a sufficent crossover in the nerd corners of 'plays warhams' and 'knows how to operate a 3D printer.

I imagine it'll be more of a problem for them once decent quality 3D printers hit £100 and can be run without ventilation issues - once consumer oriented printers start appearing with instructions as simple as 'open file in bundled viewer and hit print' there might be more of a hit to GW's profits.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean if you’re going to fantasize about being being able to predict the future you may as well just buy winning lottery tickets in advance.

I actually was going to put money into GW back when they were in the doldrums and it would have been worth enough to retire on by now. But then I went through a period of unemployment where I burned through the cash I would have invested so I guess it's a wash.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
regular printing didn't kill M:tG. neither did high end counterfeiting really - wizards doesn't make money selling cards, they sell analogue loot boxes and tournament infrastructure.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Anyone who watched the interview what was Harry & Megs opinion on Warhams?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Random Integer posted:

Hazza likes putting Great Unclean One miniatures up his bum & then when removes them tittering "now you really are unclean"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Random Integer posted:

Necrons.

I used to play Future Warhams but the thing that drove me away was having to paint every single goddamn mini the same. Even with stuff like Necromunda the gangs get pretty numerous after a while and you're stuck painting essentially the same mini over and over for the next couple of thousands points.

Now I have discovered a far more sensible hobby to spend way too much money on, D&D minis. My wife and I want to collect and paint them because generally you don't need more than 5 of each, and you can put way more individuality into each one.

I fully expect heroforge to bankrupt us by the end of the year.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

CoolCab posted:

regular printing didn't kill M:tG. neither did high end counterfeiting really - wizards doesn't make money selling cards, they sell analogue loot boxes and tournament infrastructure.

Arena is the huge moneymaker now anyway, Arena makes up a not insignificant amount of Hasbro's earnings

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
All I want for Christmas is a t-shirt that says "Bet that'll go down well in the Red Wall :rolleyes:" with an arrow pointing at my dick

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rupert of Hentzau posted:

(Although the one thing they still won't tolerate is potentially enabling a direct competitor. It's suspected that the reason FFG lost their long-running GW license is because they were finding success in the miniatures business themselves with their X-Wing game.)

The actual story is funnier than that - basically FFG we're doing a wheeze where they were trying to thread a needle;

- They had the right to Star Wars miniatures, but not board games (Hasbro had that)
- They had the right to GW board games, but not miniatures, and could not make any other miniatures games

This led to them classing games like Imperial Assault as either board games or miniatures games depending on who they were talking to. Eventually GW got pissed of enough to cut the deal first.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1368988577758121986

How is he so bad at this?

E: he could be talking about the whip removal rather than the suspension, which was in his remit.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 8, 2021

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Random Integer posted:

When Royals play warhammer, we are the miniatures.
I've spent most of today wondering whether our stressed society might fracture along a Meganite/Monarchist axis and descend into civil war.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

All I'm saying is that it very nearly is now. Last time I looked around at 3D printers they were way more expensive and fiddly and hobby based. For some reason I looked a couple of weeks ago and Holy poo poo that's good, and it's how much? Printing consists of pouring resin into the vat, putting the model on a USB stick and hitting 'Go'. It really has come on amazingly and amazingly quickly.

GW keeping their IP close and only allowing 'authentic' ones in competition is obviously a different thing but it feels very Metallica v Napster to me.

This premise fails on a couple of grounds

1. Time - 3D printers aren't simple to operate and take some (a lot of) finessing if you want them to perform well. It's the old dichotomy between time and money. I thought about buying a 3D printer but then I realised I'd just spend all of my very limited spare time trying to print poo poo instead of painting/playing. Great if you're a college student with a lot of time and no money, less so when it's the reverse.

2. Quality - 3D prints are great from certain angles only unless you get the finessing just right. I've bought enough 3D prints to realise this and something will look beautiful from the front/top but be a semi-blobby mess from the back. Also there will be layer lines and artefacts. Your stuff will be better than most garage kits and equal to 2nd tier manufacturers like Mantic and Privateer Press but forget about them looking as good as GW or Infinity. I don't think you can get manufacture level quality from the cheap desktop printers.

In the end I quite enjoy bashing stl files together and I enjoy painting. I don't fancy having to learn to print so it's easier just to pay the "professional" to do it for me. If I want to win a competition though I would buy a professionally manufacturered piece to start with.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Random Integer posted:

journalists have a gentleman's agreement not to ask meghan about 40k because she'll kick off about tau crisis suits. commander farsight? don't even go there

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Yeah, well, FiloFax were doing very nicely in the 90s. I'm seriously shocked by how cheap and good 3D printing has become in just the last couple of years.

I've printed this miscellaneous crap just in the last few days, on something that cost about 200 quid:

It might not shut them down but it's going to have some sort of effect, that's for sure. It's absolutely perfect for making little plastic nerd things.

Its something I did wonder about a few years ago and was staggered to see their share price climb and climb. With 3D printers becoming more affordable, and the print resolutions getting better with each new iteration of printer they're certainly staring down a barrel. I don't think its a barrel that will kill them though. They can still make money off revising the rule sets every few years, which they do anyway. They have the Black Library for fiction spin-offs that expand on the established lore, issuing new paint and washes that people go bananas for, and Vidya game licensing. Last word there is important.

The brick and motor stores also function as club spaces with game days/evenings where people can bring their models to game. IIRC (could have changed since I last checked this) GW has a strict policy of a certain percentage of a model has to be OG GW parts or its not allowed on the table. I remember that rule being in place 20 years ago going to the Pudding Lane Maidstone store that Cyril Sneer was stood outside of over the weekend and recall reading about it being enforced more ham-fistedly just a few years ago.

3D printing becoming more accessible does present a problem however that can be overcome with licensincing. I can see GW employing skilled 3D modellers to pump out :filez: which will be available on the GW website as a licence type dealy. Pay a small fee, got a licence to print a bunch. It could be a pretty good business model for them going forward. I imagine with a handful of skilled digital sculptors and the computer rigs to do that, the overheads probably are much lower than the current manufacturing costs and possible increase their profit margin. That said, even if we get to a stage of "browse website for file, hit download button, hit print, done" there are a lot of people who just will not bother with waiting several hours for the print and the clean up process for resin printers. They want [thing] now so they can get to build, paint, and battle*. So I can't see GW completely abandoning pumping out minis themselves for a good few years yet, but it'll be interesting to watch.

*Just look at model railways. If there's one hobby that's super quick to latch onto new technology being implemented in small thingies, then abandoning it because "eh, can pay a guy to do it for me" then that's your baseline. 3D printing's taken a weird turn there, specifically N scale stuff.

That's my dumb post for the evening.

Edit: gently caress, beaten by; EvilHawk, Random Integer, MikeCrotch, and CoolCab. :argh:

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 8, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I've had a printer for a few weeks now and when it works it works well, but when it doesn't it ends up with a full vat of resin all over the printer and table and it takes 3 hours to clean it all up and you have no fep left so can't print anything. Not that I'm mad or anything.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Stranger in a Strsnge Land is pre cyberpunk :colbert:

Nah, Alfred Bester was writing cyberpunk in the 1950s.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Tesla was right posted:

I liked when DesperateDan (I think) was raising all our moods with photos from their walks in the countryside and their plot of land. We're gonna be waiting until summer before we can take photos of things other than brown grass and grey skies, though.

oh you liked it did you

there's still a lot of beauty to be found in winter, it involves a bit more work though

the farm thread is here if you want more but I can probably make a point of chucking a few pretties here if it helps people

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did you stuff all those sausages into two pittas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

Did you stuff all those sausages into two pittas

Stuff them into 2 pittas and then stuff one pitta in the other.