Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

El Generico posted:

I just want to say that the take of 'people these days don't have enough attention span for a two hour wrestling show' is so dumb in a world where people regularly prefer binge watching an entire season of TV in one evening. Lance is right that shows would be better off if they built to big main events, though.

I think the takes of "episodes don't build, they don't do efficient storytelling" is certainly true. Asking 3 hours a week for one program, forever is madness compared to streaming. And when they talk about 20 minute opening promos, compare that to a 30 minute episode of a series (about 23 without the ads) and it's glaringly obvious wrestling shows go too long for what they should be.

And Lance has long said he wants a 90 minute televised show, which I would agree with.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's such a pain you can't get it as an email PDF or something instead of having to scroll through a big loving webpage

I print it as a PDF in my browser. You can save as a PDF in some browsers, too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Old Mid South was like a two hour wrestling show broken into two weekly one hour parts.

Dave has always said 90 minutes is best and I agree, Mid South and Smoky Mountain were just a bit short and even the best of the 2 hour Raws had some filler and burned through angles too quick, especially in the under card.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm the only person who is irrationally angry that Meltzer is upset that AEW is planning to kayfabe the failed explosion rather than doing an on-screen out-of-character mae culpa? Just because Heyman did it doesn't mean its the "right," thing to do, and I don't think WWE has ever once apologizes for a major botch, a false advertisement or any other lovely thing they've done and when that happens he always just shrugs and is like "Well that's Vince, and it doesn't matter anyway because [business speak]..."

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

because it's absolving the company from failure to deliver on the stip and doesn't do anything to ensure that aew won't pull something similar in the future. i dont think the intent is bad by aew but when you've sat through 40+ years of companies promising, failing to deliver, and not owning up to it and ensuring they'll for sure get it right next time i can understand his position

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm not angry I just think Dave is wrong on this one. Rolling with the punches and just blaming it all on Kenny is the least stupid option they've got in what is an entire deck of stupid options. Especially because we're in the modern era and the sparkler explosion instantly became a meme with several popular remixes and to try and run around going 'NO NO DON'T PLAY THIS FOOTAGE WITH TITANIC MUSIC OVER IT WE MEANT TO DO BETTER THIS IS EMBARRASSING' would just be trying to cancel out goodwill that I think AEW is gonna rightfully lean into.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It feels like a position that really only makes sense for someone like Dave. A normal person isn't going to care that AEW could somehow start getting away with this and under delivering. If they start producing a bad product most people will just stop buying it. Dave can't do that so he's going to be a lot more focused on "This can't happen again". I mean, he could stop watching but it's kind of his job and also he's very obsessive.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah so far most of the opinions I've seen are this was really funny but they are willing to give AEW a chance to get out of it/they don't care and can move forward enjoying AEW. Hell most people I've seen still say it was a great show with a bad ending - which gently caress how many times has that happened when you watched a movie, played a game or read a book?

But if AEW tries to be like please stop posting meme's it's not funny - good will would vanish.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JOHN CENA posted:

because it's absolving the company from failure to deliver on the stip and doesn't do anything to ensure that aew won't pull something similar in the future. i dont think the intent is bad by aew but when you've sat through 40+ years of companies promising, failing to deliver, and not owning up to it and ensuring they'll for sure get it right next time i can understand his position

i find it difficult to get mad over them failing to deliver over what is essentially an act of god compared to others just tossing stuff out the window with no regard

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

That's fair. I guess it just makes me mad because I very clearly remember him and Alvarez having a discussion about WWE reaching a level of false advertising that it would be funny if it wasn't so offensive a couple years back, with things like advertising Taker, Stone Cold and Sting for the first Fox Smackdown and delivering none of them and putting on PPVs with 2 or fewer announced matches, and Dave just shrugging his shoulders over it because their audience is clearly willing to just take it and they don't need to care about the audience anyway because of how their revenue works. I don't want to toot the dumb fanboy warhorn or claim bias or whatever, but it does strike me as an annoying double standard even if you can understand the logic of WHY its a double standard.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I would've liked to at least hear Tony say "We'll do it right if we ever do it in the future and not let Kenny build it" rather than throw up his hands and say "what did you expect?" You had Onita on screen telling us it would be cool buddy! The rest of the match was cool, you messed up this part.

You don't have to do it on your TV and in the end I don't really care because I felt like the PPV was still really good but some people are really hung up on it so just let them know you feel their pain and you will try harder to blow people up.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i find it difficult to get mad over them failing to deliver over what is essentially an act of god compared to others just tossing stuff out the window with no regard

I know his name is Christian and all but this is going a bit far...

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Dave has brain worms and roid rage

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
I think my least favorite online wrestling fan/press brainworm is people calling weekly fictional sports show cloaked in melodrama "product" instead of just referring to it as a show. Even "stories" is better and more accurate. Product is some business/marketing guy bullshit term for a live stunts/theater combination

edit: or just use the existing sports terminology and use "card"

smikey fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 8, 2021

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MassRafTer posted:

We'll do it right if we ever do it in the future

This has to be a one and done after this, right?

Also, were these matches held outdoors in the past? I noticed that it was pretty windy when the explosion went off and that was a big reason why what little smoke there was cleared out almost instantly.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Incessant Excess posted:

Tony Khan has a true poster's soul and so is only going to be able to contain his urge to prove that he was right all along and run one again for so long

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I would've liked to at least hear Tony say "We'll do it right if we ever do it in the future and not let Kenny build it" rather than throw up his hands and say "what did you expect?" You had Onita on screen telling us it would be cool buddy! The rest of the match was cool, you messed up this part.

You don't have to do it on your TV and in the end I don't really care because I felt like the PPV was still really good but some people are really hung up on it so just let them know you feel their pain and you will try harder to blow people up.

I feel like Tony Khan's done a really good job over the course of AEW thus far rolling with their occasional fuckups and dealing with the responses in ways that were generally responsive and smooth, and that makes it all the weirder that this, which was objectively really not great, is the thing he dug his heels in on.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The only thing that could have made it more deliciously underwhelming would be Savio Vega holding the sparklers as a surprise replacement

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

MRT's right here. Just blend the apology with the "that loving Kenny" response and you're golden.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

yeah just going "we're sorry to have disappointed you with the finish of the match BUT IT WAS THAT FUCKER KENNY'S FAULT"

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

Also, were these matches held outdoors in the past? I noticed that it was pretty windy when the explosion went off and that was a big reason why what little smoke there was cleared out almost instantly.

They could do it again but they’d have to do it on free tv.

And yes, I’m pretty sure all the time bomb matches were held outdoors. Normally at Kawasaki stadium. If you want to see a really good final explosion check out the onita/hyabusa timebomb cage match

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Tony's 'well, what did you expect' is particularly dumb - we expected exactly what you had planned!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

today’s deadlock ruled and they had a pretty good solution to the explosion dud(pre-tape the explosion and then evac the crowd with 2 mins left on the clock) I felt

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

today’s deadlock ruled and they had a pretty good solution to the explosion dud(pre-tape the explosion and then evac the crowd with 2 mins left on the clock) I felt

This is an extremely poo poo idea because it would take way more than 2 minutes to empty that arena even at the capacity it’s at, plus there’s a pandemic going on so herding everyone together to leave the building for a pretaped gimmick is an even more poo poo idea than having the fans there in the first place already is.

You’d also have a ton of people thinking the evacuation notice was a bit and refusing to budge because who doesn’t want to wait and see the cool explosion they were essentially promised.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah that sounds absolutely insane an unrealistic

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i also think that mightve made the fans feel MORE ripped off

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Even if the fans would understand it was part of the show, that sounds like a recipe for disaster in the building as far as fan safety.

Thinking about this a bit more...though everything went fine before the time bomb, is this an issue of "nobody in America has properly pulled off an explosion match" or more "nobody outside of Onita and Onita disciples have properly pulled off an explosion match?" CZW and ECW's were duds. IWA Japan and AEW both did much better...until the time bomb looked like poo poo, especially compared to the Onita and Onita-adjacent matches. Everything I can think of that went fine was either FMW, Onita in NJPW, or an FMW offshoot like WEW.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

maybe onita springs for a good pyro crew and everyone else just low bids

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think onita probably just has things rigged in a way that an american insurance company and/or fire marshall would heavily discourage

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
What if they pretaped the explosion and cut to the pretape while the fans in the building witnessed the real explosion and they cut to black.

Also as this is happening an intricately planned robbery is happening.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

davidbix posted:

Even if the fans would understand it was part of the show, that sounds like a recipe for disaster in the building as far as fan safety.

Working the fire marshal or local authorities about the danger of the explosion also doesn’t sound like a good idea.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think to get a proper Onita style explosion you probably have to do the whole match as a cinematic match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

What if they pretaped the explosion and cut to the pretape while the fans in the building witnessed the real explosion and they cut to black.

Also as this is happening an intricately planned robbery is happening.

Please don't give away the plot to next week's BTE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Please don't give away the plot to next week's BTE.

This is my screenplay for Den of Thieves 2.

Eric Braeden does do a bit on BTE in the script though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hahaha brian throwing the dude off who talked about "Rivers" Cuomo

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Causing a stampede at dailys place to own the marks

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well that beats out the stupidest idea I had heard which was from Bryan saying they should have turned out the lights for the explosion because "who watches fireworks during the day!?"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

wait, did Bryan think shutting off the lights would make the explosions stand out more at least

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wait, did Bryan think

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wait, did Bryan think shutting off the lights would make the explosions stand out more at least

Yeah because it would be fireworky and you wouldn't be able to tell that Mox and Omega weren't hit and then they can turn the lights on and all you see is the aftermath. Although the smoke is always more impressive.

Of course the general concept is based on the idea that they knew the explosion was going to be mistimed and be a dud. I mean, imagine if they had turned off the lights at this big climactic match and you just saw sparklers going up.