Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Excuse me, but it is! The kink community is 10000% about consent! Equating that with abuse is slander.

e: oh hell, what a snipe! Have some Cathy:

Cathy March 11+12 1977

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set has a balanced meal.

Working Daze would be better off as a legend.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix still eats healthier than Dinette Set.

Cul De Sac is better safe than story.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 20th, 1940

Axa

Yeah, that rocks. Though, gotta laugh at "the laser gun's broken! Oh, never mind."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just needed a shake to charge up the battery.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Getting publicly slandered by strangers is my kink.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My kink is when this thread temporarily becomes bad to read because of interminable derails about the loving ethics of Dustin :getin:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Powered Descent posted:

This specific accusation about Steve Kelley was debunked a few posts up, but I still want to take a moment to remind everyone that kinky bedroom play (which is clearly what Dustin's folks are both thinking of there) is not at all the same thing as domestic abuse, and equating the two is straight-up slander of the entire kink community.

I'm not saying that's what Hostile V is doing -- other topics are in play here, like the movie they're talking about (which I haven't seen and can't really comment on). But I want to state clearly that just because Helen apparently likes to get spanked now and then, that does not automatically mean Ed (or Steve) is an abuser.
Your point is valid and could have been made without quoting me because that was in fact not my intent. I apologize for calling Kelley a spousal abuser because I got him mixed up with Mike Lester.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh, there were comics posted between me clicking 'Preview Reply' and checking to see if there were updates and hitting 'Submit Reply'.

Cathy looks like she's gonna knife a man, and I love the image of that. It's not a common 'Cathy' expression! Also, is it just me or is she shrinking? Is the Tall Cathy era coming to an end?

I kinda like Pondus and I don't really know why. I mean, I think my love of trash is well established by this point, but even by those standards Pondus seems out of place.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hostile V posted:

Your point is valid and could have been made without quoting me because that was in fact not my intent. I apologize for calling Kelley a spousal abuser because I got him mixed up with Mike Lester.

We're cool. :hfive: Only quoted you because you were the first one I saw bring up the a-word.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cathy March 11+12 1977

I think this is the first strip where Cathy challenges Irving to his face and makes it stick.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cathy March 11+12 1977

I don't remember if she got better in later years but her being a complete doormat to everyone is not at all funny to me.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Time for them to find Saul's runaway dog, and by that I mean his penis.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G is double because I apparently posted the same one two days in a row and no one noticed, including me.

Oh look some dude is infatuated with a girl and she's is unsure about whether she's into it that's new.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon.......has not updated yet today, I'll post later in the day if it does!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Lotte's got a fair complaint. It probably doesn't even go into how criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot, either.

Another fair complaint: I forgot Pearls Before Swine yesterday.

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 14, 1933)

Peanuts (March 11, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean, in which we're going to build another week on the foundation of a careless whisper dragged out over six days.

Crankshaft

"Classic" Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 7, 1937)

Out Our Way (March 30-April 1, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (April 26-28, 1917)

Dok's "RIGHT IN THE SLATS!" Duck (June 27, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 8, 2021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 30-April 1, 1936)

What the poo poo is going on here?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

What the poo poo is going on here?

Mother is backing out the car and son has done a bunch of playful yet irresponsible things in the garage

or something like that

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "RIGHT IN THE SLATS!" Duck (June 27, 1913)

Obligatory historical lesson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_boundary_dispute

Also a better Canadian band than the Hip (fight me)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (April 26-28, 1917)

Mr Bang would poo poo a brick at how loud modern gas-powered mowers are.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Mother is backing out the car and son has done a bunch of playful yet irresponsible things in the garage

or something like that

Yeah, that's my interpretation: slob family, rather than put away their garden tools properly, has just dumped them in the driveway or garage and they've gotten snagged on the car's front bumper.

Haifisch posted:

Mr Bang would poo poo a brick at how loud modern gas-powered mowers are.

I recall an Everett True where he murdalizes his neighbor for using his push mower on Sunday morning.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Aren't those old push mowers about as loud as a typewriter? Hardly the kind of thing that wakes up the whole neighbourhood.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

Wallace

There is a real place called the Great Swamp in RI that this is referencing. I have canoed and camped there many times. I don't think Wallace is actually there, though. It's too far from the ocean for them to have walked. Probably just a local place they call the great swamp because it's muddy and the name sounds epic and cool

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Bloop posted:

or something like that
I think son tied all that stuff to the car to mess with her.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh yah, those there are fucken fighting words there, bud. Gord was a national treasure.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 13, 1944)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drimble Wedge posted:

Aren't those old push mowers about as loud as a typewriter? Hardly the kind of thing that wakes up the whole neighbourhood.

We forget how quiet the world was.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

amigolupus posted:

It looks to me like the students are pretty attentive and curious about what they're learning, which is something you'd love to see in students. I get that everyone's talking at once and it can be overwhelming, but surely the teacher could tell her students to talk one at a time instead of looking like she's got a thousand-yard stare.

Teacher goons ITT, what do you make of this strip?

It could go either way for me. I read it as she had already explained the "do we hafta"s during the instructional setup time and a lot of the kids weren't listening, which can be relatably frustrating if you've explained something several times and yet kids still come back at you with something you answered already (or, my favorite, teh child insistently raising their hand while you're answering another child's question, and when you call on them, they ask you the same question)

But again it's Lynn, and I find this teacher character the only sympathetic character in the strip really, so I could be just extending it too much grace

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Crankmyshaft

Nekonaughey is called Cat Hazard in Japan

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nightcrawlers - 1957

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PainterofCrap posted:

We forget how quiet the world was.
That and Mr. Bang basically looks for excuses to blow up on people. Nowadays he'd be the person yelling at you for having grass 0.5 inches above HOA regs, it's ruining his view of the neighborhood dammit!!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows

Is Sarin drawing this or is it Allison himself? It's really hard to tell because he really started adopting some of their style towards the end of Giant Days when he'd do the odd issue.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Gaz-L posted:

Is Sarin drawing this or is it Allison himself? It's really hard to tell because he really started adopting some of their style towards the end of Giant Days when he'd do the odd issue.

This is all Allison, although he did commission Sarin to draw the cover for this part of Circus Windows. I would say his style has changed slightly over the years as well as the fact that he his drawing Lottie and Mildred as young women as opposed to children/teens as in Bad Machinery.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'd like to cross-post something interesting I found: some very very early prose work by Alison Bechdel from the Winter 1982 issue of Common Lives/Lesbian LIves.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Gaz-L posted:

This art is good, so it can't be Sarin's work.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It’s a bit too bad that all the really early Bobbinsverse stuff has disappeared from the net. The art evolution over 20 years is pretty dang impressive.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 31, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 3, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 20, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 15, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 14, 1935)

Dark Laughter (December 11, 1942)

Mopsy Sunday (December 14, 1947)

Those Were the Days (January 10, 1952)

Wee Pals (June 5, 1965)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I can't help but be reminded of the survivalists in Texas who remembered the can opener but didn't anticipate any issues with it being an electric can opener.

Weembles posted:

Personally, I can't read a comic with a reference to drink sizes in it without assuming it's an edit. I read it three times trying to figure out what the joke was before I read the second one.

I thought the joke was that the cafe had replaced a burger joint or something where Cooper was a regular and he didn't even notice until the barista talked to him. It's not much of an improvement but it at least it works without needing the context of thinking Marla has a unique face.