Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I finished that dog aging project enrollment, please enjoy my video

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1363927615367753740

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Such a good girl :kimchi:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Stopped by a garden sculpture place a few days ago and found a greyhound statue! (maybe more whippet sized but)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

First time trying her raincoat. Big fan of the rain! She lasted less than a minute.

Katie gets to try out doggie daycare tomorrow. If she flunks the evaluation, I’m not sure what I’ll do for my upcoming dentist & doctor visits. Alone training has been going badly. I give her a 50% chance of passing the daycare trial. She did fine with my parents dog after she told her leave her the $&@# alone when she’s laying down, but she got into a bit of a tussle with another dog on Saturday. She had said hello to that dog the last time they met, but this time something set her off and there was a lot of growling & teeth. I don’t think either one was really trying to bite the other, fortunately.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, I hope it all goes well with the daycare trial! I wonder if it's certain types/sizes of dogs, that Katie doesn't like. Taz isn't particularly keen on smaller dogs (/any unfamiliar dog that gets under his head/neck), for instance.
And yep, some greys just hate the rain! :D I'm lucky though - Tazo and Opal are both OK, in their raincoats. (I mean, Opal isn't keen, but if she's walking with Taz she'll mandog-up and walk without a fuss)

Also, here's a funny (well, for me anyway!) photo of Tazo and Opal desperately waiting for me to let them upstairs. :D Since my partner recently went interstate to visit family, so they've been getting her side of the bed, haha

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
If there is a pattern to her preferences I haven’t figured it out, but she hasn’t interacted with many dogs (I wonder if that’s part of the problem). Lucy (my parent’s dog) is about 1/3 her size, growled at her at first, and is very high energy, but Katie didn’t care about that at all. I wonder if she saw through the false bravado.

Sweat Pea (the dog she tussled with) is maybe 2/3 her size and seemed completely calm.

Early on there was friendly golden retriever that she growled at too, even after they both approached each other.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my adoption group always has their new owners do a lot of interaction with other greyhounds early on. obviously that's difficult now but it definitely helps.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

my adoption group always has their new owners do a lot of interaction with other greyhounds early on. obviously that's difficult now but it definitely helps.

We went to a meet-and-greet event at a brewery the second weekend I had her but she didn’t like the other greyhounds - the only one she didn’t growl at was another dog that came up with her from Florida. There were a lot of things going against her though: new location, a much higher than average turnout, and one of the new big male greys wasn’t fixed yet.

We’ve gone back to the same place nearly every weekend since to desensitize her to it. It’s normally practically deserted when it opens. The next meetup is this coming weekend and I hope it will go a bit better.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Josie is fine with other dogs as long as she gets her personal space. She doesn't like other dogs to just be able to sniff her or go under her legs whenever they want. Even then most of the time it's fine, but when she does get growly it's because they're up in her face or they surprised her.

I wonder if Katie would be happy if in a house, she's kept separate from other dogs by a baby gate?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

skoolmunkee posted:

I wonder if Katie would be happy if in a house, she's kept separate from other dogs by a baby gate?

Yeah probably, she was fine with Lucy as long as she got her space. I was able to leave her with my parents for an hour and after a few soft whines she just slept the entire time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is VERY slow when on our walks, that's okay though, she is old after all, but I' m guessing the Horner's is affecting her vision a bit? I'll ask the vet.

I took a picture with flash which shows the third eyelid and the redness pretty well, and you can also see the back lower lip on that side is drooping

Only registered members can see post attachments!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Poor old dog. Is it both eyes?

Katie never made it to doggie daycare yesterday. Turns out they required an influenza vaccine; I thought parainfluenza was the same thing. It sounds they won’t let her in until it actually takes effect, which would be after my upcoming appointments.

I’ve been working on keeping her in the crate a bit after dinner (she shouldn’t be running around then anyway due to bloat, and it keeps her from “helping” in the kitchen). I guess I have to try doing the same thing during breakfast and also doing the separation training in the morning. I’m not sure if she would do better outside for crate, but it’s hard to leave her when she’s not locked up because she teleports to the door whenever it looks like I’m about to leave.

I’m also planning on buying one of those Adaptil diffusers; anybody use one of those?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

it's just on the left side

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Question about collars - right now Katie has the inexpensive 1” wide nylon Martingale collar that the adoption group provided. They also recommended a flat ID tag so I got one of those.

I want to buy her a prettier, comfier collar and it seems most people recommend at least a 1.5” Martingale for greyhounds. This doesn’t seem like something she should wear all the time, and the ID tag won’t fit on it anyway. I’ve been trying to find a simple flat 1” collar without a D-ring that I can attach the ID tag to that she would wear permanently, but I have not been able to find such a thing. My thinking is that the D-ring would just be a hazard that could get caught in something.

Is there a magic search term I should use to find something like that? Is there some other form of collar people use purely for IDs?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah I would not have something with the ring on it at all times. You really don't need to have a collar on of any type when she is at home. For walks I have a martingale collar with that ring to attach to the leash, and then a smaller standard collar with her ID. The standard collar could technically slip off, but that's not really a big deal since the leash isn't attached.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I would not have something with the ring on it at all times. You really don't need to have a collar on of any type when she is at home. For walks I have a martingale collar with that ring to attach to the leash, and then a smaller standard collar with her ID. The standard collar could technically slip off, but that's not really a big deal since the leash isn't attached.

My thought is that if she gets loose somehow she would have the ID collar on. She has a microchip but a tag is a bit more immediate.

Since I posted I found one place that sells something like this and they call them “dog tag collars” which is completely unsearchable since you just get results for dog collar tags.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if you have a separate standard collar she would still have id on too

however I get wanting to have an all-in-one solution. I think a martingale with an id on it is fine. then just take it off when she's at home. are there situations where she is outdoors but you are not with her?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

if you have a separate standard collar she would still have id on too

however I get wanting to have an all-in-one solution. I think a martingale with an id on it is fine. then just take it off when she's at home. are there situations where she is outdoors but you are not with her?

No, I meant she would have two collars - a “permanent” one with just the ID (and no D-ring) and a Martingale that she would also have on for walks. I’ve only found one collar so far that doesn’t have a D-ring.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I think sometimes they call them soft collars or house collars.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

small update on Abby, she has some discharge coming from the affected eye, but the vet said those are just tears. She told me to move my finger from the side of her eye to in front to make sure she can blink, and she can't, so that would explain why the tears are coming out. Waiting to hear back on if she needs any sort of treatment. She has no problem closing the eye when sleeping all the time, just can't blink.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

small update on Abby, she has some discharge coming from the affected eye, but the vet said those are just tears. She told me to move my finger from the side of her eye to in front to make sure she can blink, and she can't, so that would explain why the tears are coming out. Waiting to hear back on if she needs any sort of treatment. She has no problem closing the eye when sleeping all the time, just can't blink.

Hopefully it settles soon!

I have a random question on zoomies. Hazel does some good zoomies from time to time (couple times a week maybe) but it’s nearly always after she has eaten. I’m paranoid about bloat so should I try and prevent the zoomies for at least 30 mins after she has eaten?

I say should I, as if I really can prevent them. It’s not easy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

vet said she doesn't have horner's syndrome, it's facial nerve paralysis. she's having a bunch of labs done wednesday, most common cause they want to check for is hypothyroidism. I will have to use the ointment on her eyes again for now so she doesn't end up getting any corneal ulcers.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, that must be hard for both of you. I hope the tests bring about a positive result - Abby's overdue for some good news!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Red_Fred posted:

I have a random question on zoomies. Hazel does some good zoomies from time to time (couple times a week maybe) but it’s nearly always after she has eaten. I’m paranoid about bloat so should I try and prevent the zoomies for at least 30 mins after she has eaten?

I say should I, as if I really can prevent them. It’s not easy.

My adoption rep said their dog does that and they have to lock her in the crate to prevent it, so I would take that seriously. Since I feed Katie in her crate I just lock her in there a bit anyway (also keeps her from “helping” in the kitchen) even though she hasn’t really shown any signs of doing that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

drat, that must be hard for both of you. I hope the tests bring about a positive result - Abby's overdue for some good news!

thanks, good news is it doesn't seem to be causing her any pain, and she is still eating well, walks are fine, happy to see people, etc.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Man, Abby's been through the wars lately. Good to hear that she's still upbeat and happy.

We went to the vet for a check up and I'm glad to say that Boudicca is in remission and looking great. I heartily advocate for physio for older dogs. She went from barely running to this:

https://imgur.com/gallery/2iBeBS9

https://imgur.com/gallery/4NUOoHU

(if anyone knows why video doesn't work on the mobile app, I'd appreciate the help)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I love those zooms :3:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie had her first outdoor zoomies today!!!! The weather is finally nice enough to go outside without a jacket (at least temporarily) and that seems to have done the trick. She doesn’t have a lot of room to run around but she did some donuts and figure eights.

Apparently it didn’t take that much out of her because she still went for an hour long walk afterwards, and only came inside for dinner when I lured her.

I’m kind of dreading my dentist appointment on Thursday. She will howl, no doubt about it. All it takes is me being near the door when she’s locked up to start the serenade. I can’t help but feel I let her down by not doing a better job of preparing her to be alone, but I don’t know what else to do. She likes her crate, she’ll get a stuffed Kong, I’m planning on throwing a used t-shirt in there, I’ve got an Adaptil plug-in going... Hopefully she’ll calm down after a while.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Majestic creatures

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Katie had her first outdoor zoomies today!!!! The weather is finally nice enough to go outside without a jacket (at least temporarily) and that seems to have done the trick. She doesn’t have a lot of room to run around but she did some donuts and figure eights.

Apparently it didn’t take that much out of her because she still went for an hour long walk afterwards, and only came inside for dinner when I lured her.

I’m kind of dreading my dentist appointment on Thursday. She will howl, no doubt about it. All it takes is me being near the door when she’s locked up to start the serenade. I can’t help but feel I let her down by not doing a better job of preparing her to be alone, but I don’t know what else to do. She likes her crate, she’ll get a stuffed Kong, I’m planning on throwing a used t-shirt in there, I’ve got an Adaptil plug-in going... Hopefully she’ll calm down after a while.

Most dogs learn to deal with it after a while. When yelling and crying doesn't accomplish anything they'll settle down to snooze it off

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I found out that Abby does in fact have hypothyroidism. A max normal TSH for her would be 0.4, and she is at 0.8. She also has a bit of kidney dysfunction (slightly elevated creatinine) but that is normal given her age.

I will be giving her levothyroxine (just like I take), but the dosage is much higher in dogs! I have 175 mcg/day, she gets 1000. There's no guarantee that treating the hypothyroidism will resolve the facial paralysis though - it could be permanent.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

I found out that Abby does in fact have hypothyroidism. A max normal TSH for her would be 0.4, and she is at 0.8. She also has a bit of kidney dysfunction (slightly elevated creatinine) but that is normal given her age.

I will be giving her levothyroxine (just like I take), but the dosage is much higher in dogs! I have 175 mcg/day, she gets 1000. There's no guarantee that treating the hypothyroidism will resolve the facial paralysis though - it could be permanent.

1 gram :stare:

I got prescribed a one-step-too-high dose once and legitimately thought I was going to die after a few days

In other news, Katie survived her dreaded first alone time. Skimming through the video was painful. She didn’t panic and wasn’t in risk of hurting herself, but she basically cried for the entire 45 minutes. When she laid down from time to time it looked like she was mourning at a funeral. When I got home and let her out after a few minutes it probably took 15 minutes to get her calm again (so much panting). Definitely need to work on this a lot more, unfortunately we don’t have much time to prepare for my next appointment on Monday.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

are you leaving her with a kong?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

are you leaving her with a kong?

Yeah, she immediately stopped messing with it when I left. Radio was on with classical, I had an Adaptil plugin going, used t-shirt in there... still too anxious to bother with the Kong.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

She'll get better with it when she realizes you will come back. I found with Abby she was actually happy when I left because of the kong.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Iceman had fluid buildup in the sac around his heart and is at the animal hospital in another town for a couple nights after they drained it. He's eleven and has cheated death three times already, we'll see if he can do it again. The guy survived months of paralyzed hind legs due to a blood clot in his spine years ago, I think he's got this.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Bully sticks are another great separation tool. Watson sees us getting our backpacks out to leave and rushes into his crate because he knows he's getting something good. With Katie, trying giving her the kong and just walking into the next room. Try to time it or guess when she starts getting anxious, then pop back in. Next try going out the door and do the same thing.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

Bully sticks are another great separation tool. Watson sees us getting our backpacks out to leave and rushes into his crate because he knows he's getting something good. With Katie, trying giving her the kong and just walking into the next room. Try to time it or guess when she starts getting anxious, then pop back in. Next try going out the door and do the same thing.

Yup. How long was it before she laid down? If you have a camera on her, leave the room and watch until she settles down (kind of) then come back. You'll train her to lay down and that you'll come back sooner if she relaxes. Then gradually increase the time she has to wait.

Or just do it. If she wasn't in danger of hurting herself after 45 minutes she will quickly learn and adjust. Sounds like you're well on your way already!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
She laid down after 30 minutes or so but I think it was mainly because she was tired of standing. It didn’t seem to change her crying.

I’ll pick up some bully sticks. It’s tricky trying to navigate what will upset their precious snowflake stomachs, what will make them fat, and what they actually want to eat. My parent’s dog sick from some cow ears I got her so I want to be extra careful on sourcing stuff like this.

I think she’s smart enough not to care that much if I don’t leave the building. I’m trying to work on desensitizing anything related to the door but it’s hard. I think part of it is that she wants to go outside too! She always sniffs around the door when she gets a chance after I’ve been over there.

On a completely different note - I’ve watched a lot of videos on brushing a greyhound’s teeth, but none of the cover what to do if your hound just wants the toothpaste. Katie stands still-ish at first when she tries to lick the toothpaste off while I’m futilely trying to brush one of her canines. She mainly wants to try to consume the fingerbrush after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson loves the toothpaste, and will happily lick at the he brush while I hold his cheeks open and scrub away.

On another note, he was naughty today. While I was showing he got into the trash cabinet and pulled out a beef shank bone. I tried luring him off it with a greenie (normally his favorite) but I guess it wasn't good enough because he bit hand when I went to get the bone while he was distracted. I'm fine, just a scratch. But I feel like he's a tremendous rear end in a top hat when he's resource guarding.