Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Yeah, this Meltdown is a huge pain the rear end to try and beat the 'intended' way.

Thankfully there is cheese to get us through, yet again :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

the Orb of Zot posted:

Obvious solution: have someone hide in the Shelter and let the Arbiter’s hubris catch up to her. You want to release every monstrosity in the facility? Have fun dealing with White Night and Apocalypse Bird at the same time!

Anyways, back to screaming into the void as it turns out that in fact White Night did get one-upped just a couple of days later by something even worse.
:lobcorp:

I think TeeQueue said that Binah is immune to abnormality damage, so you can't cheese it with the Shelter.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Obvious solution: have someone hide in the Shelter and let the Arbiter’s hubris catch up to her. You want to release every monstrosity in the facility? Have fun dealing with White Night and Apocalypse Bird at the same time!

Anyways, back to screaming into the void as it turns out that in fact White Night did get one-upped just a couple of days later by something even worse.

That was mentioned in the update, abnormalities can't harm Binah.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

DTaeKim posted:

I think TeeQueue said that Binah is immune to abnormality damage, so you can't cheese it with the Shelter.

Eopia posted:

That was mentioned in the update, abnormalities can't harm Binah.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

the Orb of Zot posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

For the record, this is the intended response to Binah.

Her fight is incredibly mean, and while I could probably do it without needing cheese now, I'm also a significantly better player than I was a couple weeks ago when I started capturing this footage.

It's worth saying that I'm drat good, but my gameplay absolutely has holes in it-there was no reason for me to just let the entire drat facility die for free like that!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have to say sticking the most disloyal member of the team in the place where they can have access to the most power does seem like a bad idea in hindsight.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Hunt11 posted:

I have to say sticking the most disloyal member of the team in the place where they can have access to the most power does seem like a bad idea in hindsight.

What do you mean? Hod doesn't have all that much power.

:colbert:

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Read the update again, particularly the part around when the Mountain of Smiling Bodies escaped. An Arbiter is IMMUNE to all Abnormality damage. Releasing them can only hurt us, and it’s why one of her mechanics is spawning Meltdowns: to let out more problems to deal with on top of her.

EDIT: Well I got horribly upstaged. I blame your post being the last on the page so I missed that there was another page.

Anyway, when you think about the backstory it makes perfect sense. The Red Mist was taken down after being forced to fight wave after wave of Abnormalities, so she takes double damage from them. However An Arbiter was the one to release them, to use them to her own ends, so of course they cannot harm her.

Chaosbrain fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 8, 2021

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Tried to suppress Binah. Was completely destroyed. I almost beat her second stage, I technically could finish the second stage, but I lost a third of my agents to a pillar, because Binah went up an elevator to the floor where all extras were gathered before firing it, so it would be a restart anyway.

I think, this is the stage where people who neglected training all of their agents, relying on a dozen of maxed out agents to carry the game for them, would lose. The need to juggle so many meltdowns requires a ton of active agents. You need to remember to send them, to get them off shelter/return tool/etc, move them back into safezone when they done, attack Binah, run away from Binah, dodge attacks, suppress abnormalities, run away from abnormalities, move your safe zone if Binah comes to the same horizontal level, calm down panicing agents, and most of those actions require capable agents. Even with 30+ agens on site, I did run out of suitable agents in more than one case, forcing me to use someone with inadequate defences.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Theantero posted:

What do you mean? Hod doesn't have all that much power.
Give me an agent until they're level III and I will have them forever.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Goddamn, that looks absolutely brutal. On the other hand we get Mizu's backstory, what a heckin' cutie! I'm really looking forward to the cheese you have planned TQ, the interesting ways you can break this game over your knee are pretty much one of the best parts.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Binah's fight is really really nasty, yeah. That said, there are a few really funny ways to cheese her, and I'm looking forwards to TQ showing them off.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

An Arbiter is brutal. As cool as this is, the game really knows how to constantly put the screws to the player.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Appropriately, Mizu is just as, if not more terrifying than Binah.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I suspect that the best way to actually handle Binah, appropriately, is to have built your facility from the start for her. Basically a day one reset and taking only non-breaching abnormalities, so that you can focus solely on fighting her. At least no CRAs, other breaching might be fine if you keep them from doing so (or just accept punishing bird's love). You have to reduce her weapons and maximise your own basically.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

For the record, this is the intended response to Binah.

Her fight is incredibly mean, and while I could probably do it without needing cheese now, I'm also a significantly better player than I was a couple weeks ago when I started capturing this footage.

It's worth saying that I'm drat good, but my gameplay absolutely has holes in it-there was no reason for me to just let the entire drat facility die for free like that!

Binah is meant (in the traditional response) to pressure every aspect of play. Because of the meltdowns, you have to observe every single abnormality work rule, while managing the Binah fight, and dealing with the facility-wide stuff she can do, and worrying about the spikes leaving employees too weak to actually work a meltdown. You can't deathball her down very effectively, so the fight lasts for a long time. And that's the real kicker: if it takes 30 minutes of play to defeat Binah, you have to respond to every meltdown and every one of her attacks perfectly every time across that period. Even with pausing, that's a challenge. Make one mistake 28 minutes in and you either have to accept the consequences or restart.

The two responses to the spikes in the "no tricks" approach to Binah are to spread out employees in corridors, putting them near to abnormalities they want to work and greatly reducing the odds they get spiked, or doing what TeeQueue did and stacking in elevators; you just have to go up or down a floor before the spikes fire. I think I tried the former approach once, and it works great for the spikes and then terribly poorly when she fires pillars.

In short (too late), Binah forces you to do a lot of micromanagement with very little forgiveness of mistakes, while sticking you with the dilemma of deciding how many losses are acceptable to finish the suppression.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Lord_Magmar posted:

I suspect that the best way to actually handle Binah, appropriately, is to have built your facility from the start for her. Basically a day one reset and taking only non-breaching abnormalities, so that you can focus solely on fighting her. At least no CRAs, other breaching might be fine if you keep them from doing so (or just accept punishing bird's love). You have to reduce her weapons and maximise your own basically.

There are only a dozen or so of non-breaching abnormalities (not counting tools), most of which are ZAYIN and TETH tiers (meaning they would mostly stop appearing when you get to middle and lower departaments). One of which TQ actively resisted taking and another is a TRAIN.

EDIT: by non-breaching I mean abnormalities without Quliphoth counter. Because even if Abnormality cannot breach, reducing counter to 0 usually have even worse results. God help you if it lands on -15 or Queen Bee.

Fun fact. Judging by the code if you have less that 40 abnormalities there would be 5 overloads instead of 6 because Binah should spawn overloads on 0.15 abnormalities (and it would make it a rare event where Suppression is not just tacked on, but actually integrated in the game proper: overloads are applied by the same function which does it normally on meltdown level change).

MiiNiPaa fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 8, 2021

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Queen Bee would be mostly fine at this point in the game, just put some decently red-tolerant agents and gun down all the clerks in its department first thing and her Qliphoth counter is pretty ignorable.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I love how she's ... just An Arbiter. She's not unique (or wasn't, before A's fuckery). Can you imagine a team of them, and the threat that would call for that?

I continue to be absolutely fascinated by this world.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm mostly wondering where Arbiters come from. Are they just Red Mist-style fighters who happen to get recruited by the Head or are they straight up created somehow. I'm guessing the first since it's probably a pretty good life compared to whatever they were doing before.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Queen Bee would be mostly fine at this point in the game, just put some decently red-tolerant agents and gun down all the clerks in its department first thing and her Qliphoth counter is pretty ignorable.

Your supply of bullets is kind of limited, so having to spend a bunch of them on executions first thing isn't great.

Binah is probably my favourite core suppression honestly, despite being tough as hell. The really nice thing about her is that she just goes all out immediately, instead of making you go through several easy meltdown periods before becoming challenging. Especially considering she's contrasted with Hokma, who is incredibly slow in comparison.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I'm mostly wondering where Arbiters come from. Are they just Red Mist-style fighters who happen to get recruited by the Head or are they straight up created somehow. I'm guessing the first since it's probably a pretty good life compared to whatever they were doing before.

It was mentioned in the update that they do have very broad access to Singularities not really available to others, so that is where a significant amount of their prowess comes from, at least. Though I doubt that's all of it, and even if it is all of it, it almost certainly isn't as simple as just suiting up with lvl 100 gear.

An incidental setting detail from supplementary materials relating to this, not a spoiler or anything but still tagging it just in case: The Fairies mentioned by Binah in the update are one such Singularity. Produced by F Corp, the Fairies can open anything, literal or conceptual. Used here by Binah to open up people.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

It was mentioned that Arbiters uses Singularities in combat and Rabbit dialogue in fight confirms that her 2 attacks are two weakened Singularities. I am afraid to imagine how strong Binah was before boxifications, and how strong Gebura was to beat her and a bunch of Aleph-level Abnormalities.

I have reached stage 3 of Binah fight. Holy hell, I was not prepared for that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Onean posted:

I love how she's ... just An Arbiter.

Ah, but if you give her a cat-ear headband, does she become A Nyarbiter? :3

(filed under 50 failed ways to make Binah mad)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

There's also this game quote:

If only I knew what power this place held, we could have acquired it for us to use.

Which sort of implies that the Head is not above just looting whatever it finds neat enough. Personally I theorize a lot of their power is all kinds of tech they went full kleptocrats on and are hoarding somewhere for themselves.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Theantero posted:

It was mentioned in the update that they do have very broad access to Singularities not really available to others, so that is where a significant amount of their prowess comes from, at least. Though I doubt that's all of it, and even if it is all of it, it almost certainly isn't as simple as just suiting up with lvl 100 gear.

And now I'm wondering how these compare to Aleph-level gear. I'm guessing it's actually a lot better than Aleph gear since Binah is single-handedly beating the poo poo out of many agents equipped with that. Which, yeah, I'm kind of understanding why A decided hiding from the Head was the smarter option.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

And now I'm wondering how these compare to Aleph-level gear. I'm guessing it's actually a lot better than Aleph gear since Binah is single-handedly beating the poo poo out of many agents equipped with that. Which, yeah, I'm kind of understanding why A decided hiding from the Head was the smarter option.

As mentioned it probably depends a lot on how good the person using the EGO is. Most agents have no real combat skill, and have had to learn how to use EGOs in like, a month tops. If you have someone of similar skill to an Arbiter in Aleph gear it'd be a whole other story(See: Gebura).

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

With how they're being used right now? Yeah Arbiter gear is way better. But do remember that, according to Binah, nobody in the facility is utilizing the full potential of EGO gear, and the only person who could managed to singlehandedly take out every single Abnormality in the facility and Binah herself.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten all about only a fraction of the E.G.O. power actually being used by our agents.

Weird seeing as our agents are clearly some of the best of the best humanity has to offer in just about every conceivable way. The very pinnacle of human ability and achievement, physical and mental. To say nothing of the stellar management and leadership of facility X-394.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I was wondering why the manager was monologuing so much in this update, but then I remembered that Extraction doesn't even have a captain.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The thing about Singularites vs. EGO is that it's an entirely different class. EGO gear is not a Singularity - the Well is a Singularity.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing about Singularites vs. EGO is that it's an entirely different class. EGO gear is not a Singularity - the Well is a Singularity.
You cannot eviscerate someone with a Well... It seems that most of Singularities (of K, T, W corps, for example) have mostly utilitarian uses. Except for those Binah uses. Those are combat capable.

Theantero posted:

Which sort of implies that the Head is not above just looting whatever it finds neat enough. Personally I theorize a lot of their power is all kinds of tech they went full kleptocrats on and are hoarding somewhere for themselves.
I feel that Head does not have full control over everything and setting is more of plutocracy, where Wings controls most of the things, and Head follows divide and conquer principle: Wings could theoretically destroy the Head by collaborating, but Head will do everything to make this impossible.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Just taking the opportunity to reassure everyone that I was not in fact the one who called Binah.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten all about only a fraction of the E.G.O. power actually being used by our agents.

Weird seeing as our agents are clearly some of the best of the best humanity has to offer in just about every conceivable way. The very pinnacle of human ability and achievement, physical and mental. To say nothing of the stellar management and leadership of facility X-394.

I actually wonder a bit about the “best of humanity” thing. I think that L-corp people apply to the job, they are not scouted. The point I am getting at is that our Agents are at the pinnacle...of average joes. They are not the people with years or even decades of combat experience, they are not the ones trained exclusively how to kill, they are not purposefully breed and upgraded through manners biological and possibly mechanical to be at the true pinnacle of strength.

We have some of the best amateur athletes fresh out of high school there is. The Head has its pick of Olympians and carrier soldiers to make into its Arbiters and Claws. Remember that our agents have to learn how to do the four work types to do their best, plus any fifth work types that might pop up, remembering obscure and at times contradictory rules to avoid dying, and then how to fight. An Arbiter and their Claws just have to know how to fight, and probably had more time to work on that skill set.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Chaosbrain posted:

I actually wonder a bit about the “best of humanity” thing. I think that L-corp people apply to the job, they are not scouted. The point I am getting at is that our Agents are at the pinnacle...of average joes. They are not the people with years or even decades of combat experience, they are not the ones trained exclusively how to kill, they are not purposefully breed and upgraded through manners biological and possibly mechanical to be at the true pinnacle of strength.

We have some of the best amateur athletes fresh out of high school there is. The Head has its pick of Olympians and carrier soldiers to make into its Arbiters and Claws. Remember that our agents have to learn how to do the four work types to do their best, plus any fifth work types that might pop up, remembering obscure and at times contradictory rules to avoid dying, and then how to fight. An Arbiter and their Claws just have to know how to fight, and probably had more time to work on that skill set.
Don't forget how the Singularities play into things. T-Corp ensures that their Arbiters have functionally infinite training time, for example, and god only knows what terrifying advantages the rest of the Singularities can provide.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Right. Recall that Rabbit team is the semi-restrained and subtle mercenary task force. They have EX level stats and can stand up reasonably to an Aleph level Abnormality with no EGO gear.

This is from “just” a basic lower powered security/mercenary team, to say nothing of what the other R-Corp teams can do, and the Heads Arbiters are probably expected to be able to solo those stronger teams easily.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TeeQueue posted:

That's about all the information I'll be getting from her. Let's get out of here before we find out what happens if WhiteNight breaches with you in my office.

Oh yeah, that'd be super fun. I get to grow wings!

You already have wings.

More wings.
I wholeheartedly agree. Let us grow more wings.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

I wholeheartedly agree. Let us grow more wings.

The birds are still asleep, why not!

e: now that would be a mashup. hm.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 9, 2021

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Wasn't Hokma implying all our agents were picked due to sharing some specific quality unrelated to actual employee competence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I was wondering why the manager was monologuing so much in this update, but then I remembered that Extraction doesn't even have a captain.

Under appreciated post/user name combo