Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Phantasium posted:

https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/1360091890863931393

Remake sold over a million copies worldwide now between all versions.

Not bad for a mid budget remake of a game that never saw an official Western release. That success gives me hope that more of the Japanese-only gems of the SNES era - like Bahamut Lagoon and Live A Live - will get the Trials of Mana treatment in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Hoping this means we get some original Mana games in the future.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You can still make a good profit on JRPGs if you keep a handle on scope. It's just that managing reasonable scope isn't something they're good at.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Vermain posted:

That success gives me hope that more of the Japanese-only gems of the SNES era - like Bahamut Lagoon and Live A Live - will get the Trials of Mana treatment in the future.

Speaking of, Bahamut Lagoon just got a brand new fantranslation that's supposed to be better than the one from 20 years ago

I haven't tried it yet but am definitely going to

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Phantasium posted:

https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/1360091890863931393

Remake sold over a million copies worldwide now between all versions.

That art is lovely. Would love to have a brand new Mana sequel that builds upon Trial's gameplay.

With better voice acting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As long as they keep Angela.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
No, keep all the voice acting, it rules.
But especially Angela.

I really want that Angela figure from Bring Arts, but I can't justify paying double only for it to come with Duran. Couldn't I get Kevin instead? Come on!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Beefstew posted:

Hoping this means we get some original Mana games in the future.

That's basically been the remake director's dream objective from the start, just gradually reviving the series till he could make his own mana game

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’d absolutely love a sequel that was a direct sequel or even a spiritual successor to this game. They did a great job with the battle system and game design.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The voice acting instantly gives me flashbacks to mid 90's anime dubs and whether that's a good or bad thing is ip to the viewer (it's great)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Trials of mana is the best non-Final Fantasy game SE ever put out, with Just Cause 2 being a close second, only because of mods.

I really love the Mana series :unsmith:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Legend of Mana coming to the Switch! Just announced in the Nintendo Direct.

New arranged versions of the music, and you can turn off encounters (or turn them up if you want). Looks like the graphics are the same but upscaled a bit.

June 24 release date

Honestly I'm most excited about the music :D

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1362162977491705856

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i realllly hope the fix the crafting ui. i dont even mind if they keep it as much of a guessing game as it it but for the love of mana let me see the item stats without having to leave the crafting room entirely

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm so jazzed, although a lot of different QoL improvements come to mind.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vermain posted:

Not bad for a mid budget remake of a game that never saw an official Western release. That success gives me hope that more of the Japanese-only gems of the SNES era - like Bahamut Lagoon and Live A Live - will get the Trials of Mana treatment in the future.

Yeah, Bahamut Lagoon would be really cool to have a remake of.

Kinda wish we would get a better Final Fantasy Adventure remake, but I guess that would be too greedy. I definitely hope that they will make new Mana games, the setting was always cool, the gameplay usually very good, the art and sound often amazing.

I've bounced off hard the only time I tried Legend of Mana, I'm curious whether they make any more QoL improvements.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/ManaGame/status/1362175241842282496

Probably obvious but coming to PS4 and Steam as well.

And look at this sick special edition you'll never be able to get.

https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/1362175696563408897

Torrannor posted:

Kinda wish we would get a better Final Fantasy Adventure remake, but I guess that would be too greedy. I definitely hope that they will make new Mana games, the setting was always cool, the gameplay usually very good, the art and sound often amazing.

idk, I thought Adventures was pretty great, it just needs to not be stuck in the Vita/mobile ghetto

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope the Japanese social media rep takes the time to read my beg tweet.

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1362221146700095490?s=19

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Late to the party, but I just picked up Trials remake and I'm loving it. It's my first Mana game of any sort, but even without nostalgia playing a part, I'm finding the characters and story very charming and fun. The combat is extremely good, too - the classes and abilities give it plenty of JRPG crunch, but the action elements make it way more engaging.

Went Riesz/Hawkeye/Kevin for my first run. Only just got Vuscav, but I'm planning to eventually go Dragon Master/Nomad/Warrior Monk. I love the replayability with all the different story paths and class combos. The last game I played that had this much of a "plan your team from the very start" feel to it was FFXII, and I really appreciate having that type of engagement on a game that takes 20 hours to finish instead of 80.

I went with Riesz as main because I liked her character and class designs the most (I'm a sucker for the valkyrie archetype), but I agree with the sentiment that her voice work is strange at best. I recognized her voice actress from FE3H as Ingrid, where she was also one of my favorite characters and had a much more interesting and varied performance. Maybe they intentionally directed her to do Riesz as boring and staid? :shrug:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's great to hear that new people keep on discovering and enjoying Trials of Mana! Please continue to talk about the game all the time.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Ok I’ll add two of my favorite moments so far.

When you learn that the ghost ship curse can’t be removed, only passed on to others, and the camera cuts to your companions already in a full sprint away from you

And for contextual battle quips (which are a great touch), Kevin is king. One at Gusthall is “Agh... the wind... got dirt in my eye...”

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kevin is best boy and the ghost ship cutscene is like my favorite one in the game.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

"Dieary" is great. And the contextual quotes are incredible. There's way way too many of them, it's awesome. I always say that this game was made by people who really loved the original and you can feel that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How will Square gently caress up the local co-op for this one, after what they did to Trials of Mana and Crystal Chronicles last year?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Honestly the coop already sucked for LoM, so they don’t have to change a thing.

p.s. Legend is the best video game, so I’m very happy that Square remembered it exists.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

God I hate being reminded about how awful the co-op was in Crystal Chronicles remaster. It could have been so much more!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I had the AI freeze attack hitboxes on me enough to think they were right to ignore co-op for the Trials remake

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

vkeios posted:

Honestly the coop already sucked for LoM, so they don’t have to change a thing.

p.s. Legend is the best video game, so I’m very happy that Square remembered it exists.

its such a wonderful beautiful messy incomprehensible mystery of a game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Legend of Mana ruled because for a lot of people it was the only Mana entry after Secret of Mana which has a pretty tight flow. Legend of Mana is bonkers, lol

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Welp time to decide how to deal with ??? seeds. Popular options seem to be “get six from chests before planting any”, “save before picking up and reload if it’s no good”, or “take what you get and just grind later if you miss on the chest ones”.

I want my new classes but I also don’t want to totally blow the power curve by getting them all earlier than I’m “supposed” to. I’ve read a lot of comments on how this class change gives a huge boost.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You're gonna blow the power curve no matter what. Just have fun with it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Just pick the worst possible combination of classes

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If you are on PC just mod them into shops.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Mr. Neutron posted:

If you are on PC just mod them into shops.

I'm on PS4. I decided I'm not above savescumming them, but I'll spread out the class changes to make it a bit more interesting.

Did Dangaard and Dolan, both very cool fights. Was a bit annoying that the twin lasers on Dangaard need to be jumped over, and companions just won't do that.

Upgraded to Dragon Master, the new class strike owns bones. Jormungandr is also great and clears a pack nearly as well as my level 2 class strikes. I think the biggest upgrade might actually be the melee combo though - I was doing 3 light attacks into the power attack doing ~150 damage, now it's 4 light attacks into a power attack doing 3x200 damage.

How much game is left after the Benevodons? I'm assuming those three conspicuously unmentioned islands in the corners are the final dungeons for each route, and they make them look pretty large on the map at least.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Once you clear the seven on the map it'll send you to an island to get better equipment and then off to your main character's final area for 3 more bosses (not counting refights) before you go somewhere else for the final boss.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 11, 2021

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Okay a weird thing happened in my Land Umber fight. I broke the hands, starting doing combos on the core, and he instantly went from 95% to dead.

I saved the clip and watched it back. What it looks like happened is Hawkeye cast Wall on me and I was standing in an Earthquake+ zone. When the spell went off, multiple hits of 20000+ showed up on the boss and he vaporized. Seems unintended, but I’ll take it I guess?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Land Umber is one of the easier ones so it's entirely possible to get him in one rotation, though that sounds hilarious.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Yeah I watched a video of a regular kill to see what was supposed to happen and it didn’t seem like I missed much. Even his big charge attack just has you keep hitting the same part you were already hitting.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Benevodon tier list:

A: Zable Fahr, Dangaard
B: Dolan, Xan Bie
C: Fiegmund, Land Umber, Mispolm
D: Lightgazer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012