Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Leasing is great if you don't have an hour commute to work and back. Way too many miles for a lease.

Yeah I’d look into leasing but I drive ~25k miles a year so it’s a non starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ok so apparently all the subarus have CVTs and the internet says the CVTs all explode at 100k and render the car worthless because of the insane cost of replacement.

T/F?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Most CVTs are poo poo to tbh, but yeah Subaru has a bad rap with them. Apparently they have done better lately but the earlier models with CVTs were hot garbage.

I would not tow with any car that had a CVT, that's just a bad idea imo.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I ended up going with the Sportwagen, but when I was researching Foresters I saw that they were rated for 1500lbs of towing and I was definitely pressing X to doubt

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

Ok so apparently all the subarus have CVTs and the internet says the CVTs all explode at 100k and render the car worthless because of the insane cost of replacement.

T/F?

This is pretty much why I just eliminated Subarus from my search.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yup, it was suggested earlier I think, or I found it myself, but it seems to have exactly the same reliability/maintenance cost issues as the wagon.

Right now though I think there's an 80% chance we're getting an outback, though.

I would not consider Subarus to be significantly more reliable or cheaper to maintain. Maybe the parts and service are cheaper for Subaru than Volvo in the US? I don't know. Volvo are considered pretty much everymans daily drivers here so :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the new platform Volvos are some of the least reliable cars ever made - it makes sense because it was literally new everything due to decades of underinvestment - powertrain, chassis platform, electronics platform, ICE, sheet metal, etc and it's very hard to get that stuff right first go in isolation.

Subaru definitely benefits from a Japanese halo effect. They're not Honda/Toyota reliable but somehow everyone thinks they are.

I would probably not tow with a CVT.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would probably not tow with a CVT.

Why? Honestly curious idk.

I mean, uh, obviously some cars aren’t rated for towing. But a 3000lb rated CVT vs Auto — what’s the difference?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DNK posted:

Why? Honestly curious idk.

I mean, uh, obviously some cars aren’t rated for towing. But a 3000lb rated CVT vs Auto — what’s the difference?

A decade of CVTs that don't last 60k without towing?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

From a mechanical perspective, because the CVT is constantly adjusting ratios based on power demand, which is likely to change more when you are towing, which means wear on the belts and cones exacerbated by additional mass. CVTs are already fragile. They're fine for everyday driving for the most part at this point, but I wouldn't trust them to stand up to any sort of abuse because the track record has been really poor. I don't know if there's a way on the Subaru CVT to lock it out of overdrive ratios, but I suspect not unless you go for manual mode, which would also influence my decision there. Overdrive is the enemy of towing.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Looking at buying a used car in the near future and one of the options I'm considering are a used hybrid. I've never owned a hybrid before but have a coworker that swears by them (Toyota specifically).

Anyone with any experiences with used (or new) hybrids? Is there anything in particular I should be looking at beyond what you'd normally check on a used car? Battery system eval, that kind of thing? Probably looking at a mid 2010s Toyota Camry hybrid if that narrows it down.

Mainly going to be used as a daily commute car with occasional longer trips (once the pandemic is over).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The big thing with Hybrids is that the battery might cost a lot to replace/fix if it’s lovely or too old or whatever. In mine (I bought it new) it’d be like a $4k replacement, and it shockingly made sense for me to get the $800 extended warranty which applied for way, way longer than the expected longevity of the battery according to my internet research.

I also really like my hybrid otherwise, especially how silent it is when running directly off the battery.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The odds of you actually needing to replace the Hybrid Synergy Drive battery in your car are low. The car works fine even with a highly degraded battery, you just will get slightly less fuel efficiency. A battery installed is roughly $2500 these days as costs for reman units have come down considerably.

I would not pay $800 for an extended powertrain warranty, personally. Better to self insure.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also not all extended warranties cover the HV battery. When a friend of mine (who has The Worst Luck with reliable Toyotas) bought a used Prius at a Toyota dealer, they bought an extended warranty. They also had the HV battery fail and asked me for help.

Handed me the warranty brochure, I scanned through it and pointed to where the salesperson had specifically circled the HV battery as a non-covered component. Luckily for them it was still barely within the emissions warranty.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the new platform Volvos are some of the least reliable cars ever made - it makes sense because it was literally new everything due to decades of underinvestment - powertrain, chassis platform, electronics platform, ICE, sheet metal, etc and it's very hard to get that stuff right first go in isolation.

For sure the new ones have had more issues but I think this is a bit hyperbolic. Anyways, looking at the OPs price range I was assuming we are talking about the older models, such as the XC70 I previously mentioned.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hey guys. haven't posted here in a while but i think i'm finally ready to take the plunge and buy the drat car, which is looking like either a toyota corolla or corolla hybrid.

just curious, with all the new fangled features available in new cars nowadays, which ones are really important to have?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My personal opinion:
Blind spot monitoring has saved me a handful of times, especially when I got a new, larger car and didn't have the blind spots internalized.

Active cruise control is cool, but I haven't used it in a car enough to make it a must have (eg, commuting in stop and go traffic).

The auto braking in my mom's Honda hasn't popped up at a time when I wasn't already paying attention, but it's benign and could see it being helpful.

I've had lane keep assist be actively dangerous in the two cars I've driven with it and would probably keep it turned off most of the time if I had it in my car.

VVVVV I have forward and reverse parking radar and it's way more useful to me than a backup camera and I actively miss it when driving Not My Car. VVVVV

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 8, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

hey guys. haven't posted here in a while but i think i'm finally ready to take the plunge and buy the drat car, which is looking like either a toyota corolla or corolla hybrid.

just curious, with all the new fangled features available in new cars nowadays, which ones are really important to have?

For me personally, it would be your preferred flavor of Apple Carplay or Android Auto and whatever driver safety nannies you can get (lane keeping, radar cruise, collision warning, etc). If your car has different headlight options, it's usually worth it to spring for the better ones. The rest is pretty much to taste, but parking assists and 360 cameras are always helpful so you don't curb your wheels.

Edit: A HUD is loving amazing if you can swing it, but you normally only find them on luxury cars.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

I find adaptive cruise to be game changer. I feel much more relaxed and less tired while driving with it. The other driving assist features are for me less important. Adaptive or automatic high beams are nice. Parking cameras and assists are always helpful.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Mr Interweb posted:

Adaptive cruise control is amazing. Especially on long drives on the highway (doubly so in even moderate traffic). I hope to never have another car without it.

I'm also very happy I have Android Auto. Never have to mess with crappy manufacturer UIs again.

Can't speak to other stuff as that's about all my car has.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Adaptive cruise is a must-have feature on a new car, IMO. I don't even drive much and don't commute in a car, but I've had it on road trip cars (rentals and friends') and it's a game changer for dealing with the ebbs and flows of traffic and the piss poor lane discipline of American drivers.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

Backup cameras are great, but I think now that is standard on cars purchased in the last 5 years.

I didn't like lane assist in the rental Camry I drove for work--if you leave your lane without signaling, it would resist your turn, which can be dangerous in some cases (yeah, I know I should just always use my signals, but e.g. when you are passing someone on a not busy four lane divided highway they sometimes are a little superfluous).

The people I have known who commute in stop-and-go traffic really like the automatic cruise control.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

incogneato posted:

I'm also very happy I have Android Auto. Never have to mess with crappy manufacturer UIs again.

Frankly, this is because of how bad car UIs are, not how good Android Auto is. When it doesn't work, I find myself more angry and distracted than when using a "normal" UI. The voice controls that it prioritizes work as I expect them to about 50% of the time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uthor posted:

Frankly, this is because of how bad car UIs are, not how good Android Auto is. When it doesn't work, I find myself more angry and distracted than when using a "normal" UI. The voice controls that it prioritizes work as I expect them to about 50% of the time.

The important part is they receive regular OTA updates instead of being obsolete after 2 years.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

True. I really like my BMW interface, but they want me to pay like $100/year to get OTA map updates, at which point I may just do a full system swap for an AA unit despite knowing I like it less.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

cool. what about heated seats? nice but unnecessary? my heater's been broken for a while so just having a functional one will probably be a godsend by itself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

cool. what about heated seats? nice but unnecessary? my heater's been broken for a while so just having a functional one will probably be a godsend by itself.

the pro-est heated feature IMO is the heated steering wheel

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Adaptive cruise control loving owns. We rented a 2018 Camry a few years back to drive from Vegas to Northern CA, and driving for 12 hours in that thing was less mentally exhausting than driving 8 hours in our older Prius (or god forbid in my ancient Matrix). You don't realize how much energy it takes to make those frequent, tiny adjustments in speed until you're in a car that does that for you. Game-changing tech. You still need to pay attention and cover the brake in case something silly happens, but it's so much easier than manually adjusting standard cruise control because the person in front of you slowed by 1MPH and you're slowly creeping up on them.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

heated seats are nice if you have time for them to heat up before you get in the car (remote start is great for this). Heated steering wheel is amazing and i'm sad my car doesn't have it, each time I drive my dad's kia cee'd in the winter i wish mine had it.

I love having adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, rear crossing warning on my crosstrek. Lane-keeping assist on subaru eyesight is kinda ehhhh. The radar emergency braking has saved my bacon a couple times, definitely need it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

my hot take on new car tech features, living in a place with seasons

must-haves: adaptive cruise, heated seats, carplay/AA, lighting that isn't poo poo (lookup IIHS tests)

nice-to-haves: heated steering, ventilated seats, blind spot monitors, 360 cameras, rain sensing wipers

dont care/dont want: lane keep assist, sign recognition, driver attentiveness tracking, oem navigation system

and at least in the usa i think all new cars have to have back up cameras these days, but you'll find a whole spectrum of quality ranging from "i'm just here so I don't get fined" to actual high quality cameras

it's all subjective and up to you what you think is worth having or not, but certain things are really hard to give up once you've tasted them

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 8, 2021

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

KillHour posted:

For me personally, it would be your preferred flavor of Apple Carplay or Android Auto and whatever driver safety nannies you can get (lane keeping, radar cruise, collision warning, etc).

It may have changed now that Corollas are explicitly AirPlay-compatible, but I have to say that one of my least favorite quirks is the fact that the car immediately starts playing music whenever a Bluetooth device is connected.

The other one is the fact that the cruise control tries way too hard to keep a constant speed, and sacrifices fuel efficiency in the process. Going down a slight, but long, incline? Prepare for sudden massive engine braking. Your adaptive cruise control is on and that slower driver in front of you finally exits or changes lanes? Prepare to jump to hyperspace.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tagesschau posted:

It may have changed now that Corollas are explicitly AirPlay-compatible, but I have to say that one of my least favorite quirks is the fact that the car immediately starts playing music whenever a Bluetooth device is connected.

Seriously? This is something that happens on a $100 radio (in my tractor, I'm not kidding). It's pretty inexcusable at this point in an actual factory supplied system on a not-budget car.

Does it also do the thing where it hijacks all bluetooth sources it's been paired with when it's been turned on so like, even if you were listening to something/on your phone with headphones and you turn the tractorcar on your podcast stops/it takes over your drat phone call?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Or the other fun thing about older bluetooth systems--is sound delayed by like 3 seconds?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

luminalflux posted:

rear crossing warning

My mom’s Honda has this and it’s magic. It picks up cars from half way down the block with other cars parked on the street. Not sure how it does it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

Or the other fun thing about older bluetooth systems--is sound delayed by like 3 seconds?

My '13 CR-V did this and it made any sort of voice interaction absolutely useless on iPhone or Android.

Before I used it, I would have called Android Auto / Carplay support a luxury. Once I used it on a rental, I'll never buy a newer car without it, given the choice.

Adaptive cruise is very nice, though any implementation I've tried (admittedly not many) hasn't quite been good enough for me to make it a must-have. However, the one thing that could get me to trade in my Canyon before I've run it into the ground would be that exact same truck but with GM's supercruise.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Guinness posted:

Adaptive cruise is a must-have feature on a new car, IMO. I don't even drive much and don't commute in a car, but I've had it on road trip cars (rentals and friends') and it's a game changer for dealing with the ebbs and flows of traffic and the piss poor lane discipline of American drivers.

I'm with you. My wife's CX-5 has it, and it's been a game changer. Stop and go is effortless. I'll never purchase a daily that doesn't have it. I'm waiting to buy a new truck until they install it and it does full speed control (as in, it'll stop the vehicle fully). I live in a vacation destination and the traffic in the summer is awful. I live near Boston, too. It also means that when my wife drives an hour to and from Boston at night, I don't have to worry nearly as much.

Cross traffic alert is amazing as well. New cars have such poor sightlines that it's basically required. I try to back into parking spots as much as possible, but they doesn't work in all places.

Blindspot monitoring, same thing. New cars have such poor visibility that it's super useful.

Backup camera, yup. Glad it's required. Most people as terrible at backing up, and the camera helps. Rear parking sensors are great too, it's weird the Mazda doesn't have them.

Heated seats are nice, but not required. Heated steering wheel is nice on my mom's Volvo, but hardly a requirement. Auto climate control is also a nice-to-have feature.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i was gonna think about getting a standard corolla, but the corolla hybrid is lookin' mighty fine and comes with a lot of the stuff you guys already mentioned (plus it saves me from having to decide which trim to get).

thoughts?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

so i was gonna think about getting a standard corolla, but the corolla hybrid is lookin' mighty fine and comes with a lot of the stuff you guys already mentioned (plus it saves me from having to decide which trim to get).

thoughts?

Drive it and see if you like it. It's your car.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

thoughts?

What's your reason for looking into the hybrid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Drive it and see if you like it. It's your car.

don't hand over all the responsibility of buying a car to me D:

mariooncrack posted:

What's your reason for looking into the hybrid?

mostly to save gas. the additional goodies that come standard are really nice icing, tho