Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

1redflag posted:

When I used to drive down I75 to see family I’d see this billboard regularly (and worse)

Last time it was Pontius Pilate
This time it's Apache Pilot

:dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

idgi

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
TITTIEKISSER69, please come back to the thread and explain the hot dog stand sign to us

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

It's a Trump joke.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Trump relentlessly bragged about how well he did on the "is this person still able to use their brain after a stroke" screening test, doctors never saw anyone take the test as well as he did, etc.

The reality of having a loving blatantly narcissistic and incompetent on the national spotlight

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Volmarias posted:

Trump relentlessly bragged about how well he did on the "is this person still able to use their brain after a stroke" screening test, doctors never saw anyone take the test as well as he did, etc.

The reality of having a loving blatantly narcissistic and incompetent on the national spotlight

Thanks.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

It absolutely was and I guarantee he blames vegans for all his problems. Dairy people are insane.

"Person whose life revolves around dairy production" becoming "dairy people" is a new Extremely Online Thing, I assume.

Is it really that hardd to comprehend how someone might (obviously probably incorrectly, but still) see that as a threat to their livelihood?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"Person whose life revolves around dairy production" becoming "dairy people" is a new Extremely Online Thing, I assume.

Is it really that hardd to comprehend how someone might (obviously probably incorrectly, but still) see that as a threat to their livelihood?

I just can't bring myself to have much sympathy for someone who looked around at all that life offers and thought "I want to spend most of my waking moments attaching machines to cows' tits." Not saying all dairy farmers are perverts, I'm sure some were just raised by perverts and don't realise their are better ways to live.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

1redflag posted:

When I used to drive down I75 to see family I’d see this billboard regularly (and worse)

It's about 20 miles from the Nut Milk billboard.

Years ago, there was a billboard for vasectomy reversal in roughly that area. Kinda quaint now with all the weirdo stuff that's being advertised. And Buc-ees. Lots of ads for the Buc-ees in Warner Robins.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sunswipe posted:

I just can't bring myself to have much sympathy for someone who looked around at all that life offers and thought "I want to spend most of my waking moments attaching machines to cows' tits." Not saying all dairy farmers are perverts, I'm sure some were just raised by perverts and don't realise their are better ways to live.

I thought the machines did that automatically now and have to be set so that cows can't go back multiple times because they love it?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sunswipe posted:

Now there's a post/red text combo.

(I know, not all milk gets made into cheese, just work with me, folks)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Volmarias posted:

I don't want anyone to miss out on this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apdf4hV_y2s&ab_channel=KforComedy

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Right now some BK exec is screaming at some junior social media intern that he wanted a Wendys-Like tweet not whatever this is.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

They've been dumping milk out for over a year now because they won't lower production and can't sell everything they're producing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

pentyne posted:

Right now some BK exec is screaming at some junior social media intern that he wanted a Wendys-Like tweet not whatever this is.

Then the exec is informed that the UK junior social media intern is a member of the royal family and that the exec will need to take the fall for this.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Byzantine posted:

They've been dumping milk out for over a year now because they won't lower production and can't sell everything they're producing.

This is standard throughout the agriculture industry. A good year for a crop is a bad year for farmers and "If you won't allow us to pay slave wages the peaches/oranges/hops will rot in the fields!" goes back centuries.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

As was brought up in the IoSM thread, this is a copy-paste of a print ad, which works a lot better since it very obviously has more to say than a single weird tweet.

https://twitter.com/hannah_denham1/status/1368982041551908876?s=19

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it still really sucks even in print

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

flatluigi posted:

it still really sucks even in print

Whilst it is still a blatant attempt to turn "controversy" and "outrage" into publicity. I don't mind the newspaper ad. It gets the point it is supposed to be making across much better than the tweet.

The Australian Greens Party has a T-Shirt that makes a very similar statement.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I posted this one over on GiP when it was topical and some of the folks their pointed out those are Russian tanks.

They're also empty.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The ad is still pretty bad, if someone just glanced at it they'd think BK is going full mra. Maybe just making the text sizes a bit more similar would've helped.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't think that is very likely--it is a provocative statement, so it kind of entices the hate-reader to read more. I think the ad campaign is succeeding.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't mind the newspaper ad.

They hijacked women’s day for their own profits. It is absolutely deplorable.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's kind of the whole point of the ad though?.. The very people that it would piss off read a single line further and realize that the brand really claims to be on their side.

It gets shared by both people that agree with the initial idiotic statement, people that are pissed off by the first line and don't bother to read any more, people that do read more and are happy to agree, and even the rare idiot that reads the whole thing then gets angry

E: honestly, I'm cynical enough that I'd nominate it for an advertising award if I were on any of the boards. Regardless of if it's right or wrong ethically, it's a genius move to drive word of mouth

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Mar 9, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
how is it that this thread is over 600 pages long and people still argue that bad publicity is good publicity

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

flatluigi posted:

how is it that this thread is over 600 pages long and people still argue that bad publicity is good publicity

Dumb, Marketing Moves

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
seriously, nobody looks at that and goes 'wow, burger king sure had balls to pull that! that sure makes me want to go eat a burger king burger' other than marketing execs writing that in a little speech bubble on their whiteboards

people aren't stupid! they can tell it's a transparent attempt to get eyes on The Product and they think that's lovely in and of itself

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bk needs to bring back the king. It was weird and people liked it. Not this bizzare sexist but actually not campaign. Or whatever the gently caress those émotion burgers were.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

flatluigi posted:

seriously, nobody looks at that and goes 'wow, burger king sure had balls to pull that! that sure makes me want to go eat a burger king burger' other than marketing execs writing that in a little speech bubble on their whiteboards

people aren't stupid! they can tell it's a transparent attempt to get eyes on The Product and they think that's lovely in and of itself

I think most people don't really care or think about it that much. It is just a provocative ad that attracts attention and gets people to notice Burger King. It's not sincerely misogynist, so the only people who would get offended at the ad are people whose job/hobby is to get offended at things.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

silence_kit posted:

I think most people don't really care or think about it that much. It is just a provocative ad that attracts attention and gets people to notice Burger King. It's not sincerely misogynist, so the only people who would get offended at the ad are people whose job/hobby is to get offended at things.

lmao dude I forgot people like you were still out there

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

silence_kit posted:

I'm gonna say it's actually extremely and intentionally misogynist to use a joke about abusing women to advertise your brand on the one day of the year dedicated specifically to celebrating women. It doesn't matter if you say "haha just kidding actually I have women friends" dude

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Burger King is going to get away with it because people who think that “advertising doesn’t work on me” are defending the corporation because “actually, if you read fully they subverted what superficially appears to be a misogynistic statement :goonsay:” while completely missing the point that it’s still a lovely thing to do.

It’s like how people who know almost nothing about the American Civil War think it was about slavery, people who know a little about the war think it was more complicated than that, and people know a lot about the war know that it was about slavery.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah but it's not clever marketing in any way to shout "FIRE" in a movie theater and run away giggling

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Haha, dummy, I wasn't going to actually hit you, why did you flinch

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Byzantine posted:

I feel relatively confident that they can't just switch the cows off.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That BK ad works brilliantly because y'all talking about the stupid rear end hook, and not there even stupider "paying our woman burger serfs ro attends culinary school so they can get a livable wage" underlying campaign.

cogito ergo incommo
Apr 2, 2010

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I feel relatively confident that they can't just switch the cows off.

Well, they could, but that means letting the cows dry until demand picks up again. Then they'd have to get all those cows pregnant to restart milk production (or use drugs, but eh...).
That means they either have a lead time of however long a cow pregnancy lasts, or they keep up milk production for the year or so the crisis was originally forecast for.
Its just simpler to keep up milk production then have restart all over again.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Elviscat posted:

That BK ad works brilliantly because y'all talking about the stupid rear end hook, and not there even stupider "paying our woman burger serfs ro attends culinary school so they can get a livable wage" underlying campaign.

People are ignoring half the ad, so that means it worked brilliantly?

I don't understand.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

People are ignoring half the ad, so that means it worked brilliantly?

I don't understand.

It’s a double whammy of a dog poo poo take.

#1 Any ad you’re talking about is successful!!!

#2 This magically gets people to stop thinking about minimum wage and worker protections because they’re mad at the first tweet!

Neither is true, but if op pretends they are, then op gets to feel smug about being smarter than everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Simpsons memes are knocking it out of the park with this:
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1368954672363565062

https://twitter.com/Duvisited/status/1368956272582791170

https://twitter.com/alanfanciful/status/1368968293516636162