Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I finally came back to this after bouncing off it on the PS3, and just finished my first run (DLCs excluded). Pretty good game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Oof, first boss in DLC2 is a doozy

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Woo, beat the game! Thanks to Bubbles, whoever you are, for your patience with my dumbassery.

Also a shoutout to Walkthrough, who has a badass build and blitzed through the Throne Guardians & Nashandra and then peaced out with a suicide jump before Aldia spawned

idk if either are goons tbh but it's that kind of memorable interaction with complete randos you'll never see again that makes the Dark Souls games so enthralling

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Frida Call Me posted:

looking glass knight did a stomp and then summoned someone when we co-op'd through. the guy was really bad, but hilariously he summoned the same guy a second time and we killed him again.

i really prefer this version to ds2 because i play these games almost exclusively co-op. vanilla ds2 co-op just trivializes everything. in scholars at least places like iron keep can be challenging with one to three helpers.

By the way is there any easy way you can tell if the black phantoms looking glass knight summons are players or AI controlled, other than just trying to figure out based on the way they move? I was curious if I ever got any real players when fighting him.

Also the other post on the last page reminded me why do people choose The Rotten to farm souls?

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 8, 2021

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Item Getter posted:

Also the other post on the last page reminded me why do people choose The Rotten to farm souls?

I'd imagine it's because he's the most painless great lord soul to get to right off the bat. Majula > Gutter > Black Gulch is a cinch.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

f#a# posted:

I'd imagine it's because he's the most painless great lord soul to get to right off the bat. Majula > Gutter > Black Gulch is a cinch.

it's also a really, really short walk from the bonfire to Rotten, and the only enemies in between are the oil pit hand things

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

f#a# posted:

Yep. He’s easy to get to and all of his attacks are easy to avoid. Killing him a few times gives you enough soul memory to pass through the shrine of winter without needing all the lord souls. With a +10 estoc even when he’s on NG+8 difficulty (it stops scaling difficulty at this point) each poke does like 400 damage to him so just revolve around him, poke him in the back, and avoid his AOE and he’s down in just a couple minutes.

It’s not a super engaging way to play so it’s only something I did to rush through NG+ and NG++ to get to the guy that sells the last couple spells for the platinum. Bonfire ascetics don’t work for that particular guy.

oldskool posted:

it's also a really, really short walk from the bonfire to Rotten, and the only enemies in between are the oil pit hand things

If you hug the rightmost wall from the bonfire (it’s the second bonfire in the area, behind the statue) and hit the poison statue things on that side along the way you won’t encounter a single enemy, won’t get poisoned, and it takes less than ten seconds from bonfire to boss.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 8, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The Shrine of Amana is still really pretty. But the second time around I hate it and everything about it, except for how pretty it is. I finally get why people hate it.

Also, I lit the torches in the Undead Crypt this time around to see what would happen. Hoo boy did that make everything a lot harder.

Guardian ring hits were coming rarer and rarer, and usually by the time I got there either the invader or host would already be dead, also the blue orbs would only find someone maybe every 1 in 50 attempts, on top of all this I could never find any blue spirit duels. So I finally switched to the Brotherhood of Blood, and BoB is poppin! I can always find a duel, and there's always someone to invade with the orbs. I'm also now fighting with +10 claws and a priest hood because I like how unsettling it makes me look.

Jay Punchman has become a dark spirit.

Stone ring is so OP on a punch build. I just have to hit most people once, sometimes twice to poise break them, and then because punch combos are so cheap on stamina I can just keep comboing them until I run out. Usually gets my opponents down to 1/2 health or less :getin:

e: It's also real interesting playing on controller and encountering players who are def using KB+M. I can't possibly match their ability to whip their view around but so far luckily I haven't run into too many people able to use it to backstab me endlessly

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 8, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Did everyone leave Return to Drangleic already, or is my soul memory way off somehow? I have reached Brightstone Cove, lvl 75, soul mem 630000+.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think people are leveling up pretty quickly. I'm level 120-ish, soul memory 2.4m. I get nonstop hits for invasions, especially in the DLCs and what I'm told are the usual haunts, but don't see a lot of white soapstone signs. Also I've stopped getting any bellbro hits entirely

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Lol, I managed to die to Creepy Magnus!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

axolotl farmer posted:

Did everyone leave Return to Drangleic already, or is my soul memory way off somehow? I have reached Brightstone Cove, lvl 75, soul mem 630000+.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I think people are leveling up pretty quickly. I'm level 120-ish, soul memory 2.4m. I get nonstop hits for invasions, especially in the DLCs and what I'm told are the usual haunts, but don't see a lot of white soapstone signs. Also I've stopped getting any bellbro hits entirely

I think people are leveling more. I posted yesterday about this and after going back and doing some older bosses I'm getting summoned more quickly.

Beat the Dragon's Arie last night, didn't play much.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Any idea if a DS3 event like Return to Drangleic is planned this year? Right before my babby arrived, I started playing DS3 for the first time and got to Firelink Shrine, and it'd be cool to continue my first run through during a community event like this.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Why can't I find a list of which dagger deals the most backstab damage

SOMEONE must have tested and compiled that??

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh yeah, some screenshots of where I currently stand. Here's my current stats:

Here's my usual fit:

Sometimes I like to invade as the Onion of Judgement:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

oh yeah, some screenshots of where I currently stand. Here's my current stats:

Here's my usual fit:

Curious why you leveled dex to 45. Isn't the softcap 40 for str and dex?

I will never keep all the soulsbourne systems in my head.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
Powerstance Bone Fist?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Double Plus Undead posted:

Powerstance Bone Fist?

Duh, you're right.

40 is the soft cap, right?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Double Plus Undead posted:

Powerstance Bone Fist?

Precisely this. Once I get it anyway :shepface:

I believe 40 is the softcap yeah

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Precisely this. Once I get it anyway :shepface:

I believe 40 is the softcap yeah

Good luck! I stalled out before I got it on my fists/caestus run.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks! The DLCs are noticeably tougher than the base game for the punch build. I've got a pair of +10 caestii and +10 claws now. The claws do slightly less damage overall because they don't have Strike, but the slightly bigger reach makes up for it imo.

I'm considering putting bleed on one or both of my claws, mainly for pvp/My Immersion reasons. Any thoughts? I looked at the infusion charts but it doesn't really mean a lot to me. It doesn't look like I'll lose a lot of damage by putting bleed on both. And can I infuse them without losing the upgrade levels (i.e. +10 normal > +10 bleed)? Or does it reset the upgrade path, i.e. I should put bleed on a new set of claws?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Bleed claws are ok. Though bear in mind not everything bleeds.

Infusions are independent of upgrades in this game, you can put bleed on a weapon and take it off again without losing any upgrade levels.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah the bleed claws blew chunks. I infused them with poison instead and have been getting much better results. I can tell when I've got someone shook because they'll start running away like cowards trying to run out the poison timer

He's come a long way from being a humble punchsmith, just trying to jog and box his way through Drangleic.

edit: oh yeah--what the hell happened here?

https://clips.twitch.tv/GenerousSaltyTaroOSsloth-eMyfFJ6V1BsarclU

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 9, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

This owns :fyadride:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Oscar Wild posted:

Curious why you leveled dex to 45. Isn't the softcap 40 for str and dex?

I will never keep all the soulsbourne systems in my head.

Check out the requirements for the smelter hammer powerstance, gonna blow ur mind

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
seems he used the black separation crystal to surrender immediately

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Ohh okay. What a strange trick

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bonfire ascetic I'm guessing? I actually hadn't considered that yet... I think I'll do that too once I get it lol

e: love the look btw

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 9, 2021

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Bonfire ascetic I'm guessing? I actually hadn't considered that yet... I think I'll do that too once I get it lol

:hmmyes: lol

Yep! That guy is from a few years ago but I felt like playing him again. I constrained myself to the broken straight sword until I got a ceastus and then played the entire game with fist weapons only. I beelined straight to the bone fist, burned an ascetic and got a second before continuing on. It was super fun and my favorite souls run so far.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

They're also a drop from the reindeer in Frigid Outskirts.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If you're a phantom, afaik

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Of what, like the opera or something?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Charles Bukowski posted:

Of what, like the opera or something?

Now there's a build idea

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

They're also a drop from the reindeer in Frigid Outskirts.

Why the hell would you go to that place on purpose??

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
there's like 7 white and gold player signs leading to the ivory king, which confirms what I suspected about most of the back2drangleic players

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Item Getter posted:

By the way is there any easy way you can tell if the black phantoms looking glass knight summons are players or AI controlled, other than just trying to figure out based on the way they move? I was curious if I ever got any real players when fighting him.

there's two npc variants he can summon, one wearing the elite knight set with a halberd and the other with the drangelic helm and a greatsword. if your phantom doesn't look like either of those models you can be pretty sure it was a real player. we were able to tell ours was a real player right way because they used the columns to LOS my phantom's ranged attacks

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Frida Call Me posted:

there's two npc variants he can summon, one wearing the elite knight set with a halberd and the other with the drangelic helm and a greatsword. if your phantom doesn't look like either of those models you can be pretty sure it was a real player. we were able to tell ours was a real player right way because they used the columns to LOS my phantom's ranged attacks

OK that makes sense, I think I only saw those 2 types of phantoms, so I thought maybe that fight was an exception to normal invasions where invaders would turn into one of those generic types of phantoms instead of keeping their normal equipment.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
holy poo poo I didn't know you could be summoned by the looking glass knight or that it summoned players

I've gotta try this, but if it does matchmaking I might be sol at 2.5ish soul memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

holy poo poo I didn't know you could be summoned by the looking glass knight or that it summoned players

I've gotta try this, but if it does matchmaking I might be sol at 2.5ish soul memory

I'm pretty sure it's a NG+ only mechanic. Bit of a waste, really, it's neat.