Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Man, it sucks the Battle-Axe has so many penalties stack on it, it has very neat role of being able stun and push back enemies fairly well, but the excessive disadvantages really drag to the point of uselessness.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Base is coming along nicely, really really wish there was an automatic quarry though, and more zero maintenence crops.

Also the AI in this is definitely good enough to do some proper battles, if they let you specify points for a garrison to man and threw actual waves of dudes at you you could have some dope fights.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 9, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

As with crypts, I found it feast or famine. Try finding a runestone for boss 4 , there should be a lot of the stuff around. Also Silver seems to have a minimum spawning height. I found 3 deposits about 10 meters away from each other for example.

I also had the itch to build a spire lookout in the plains, it's crazy how high you can go with those rocks. Once you get high enough your stuff starts to get covered in snow.

Awesome, I was trying to build some stairs up a spire yesterday but kept getting ganked by bugs. We did find out something else fun about the spires if you completely mine out the bottom of it, it doesn't float in the sky, the entire thing crumbles to a rain of free rocks

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Khanstant posted:

We did find out something else fun about the spires if you completely mine out the bottom of it, it doesn't float in the sky, the entire thing crumbles to a rain of free rocks

oh poo poo seriously!? I assumed they would float up there forever like the regular stone deposits do. That is... much more interesting

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Khanstant posted:

Awesome, I was trying to build some stairs up a spire yesterday but kept getting ganked by bugs. We did find out something else fun about the spires if you completely mine out the bottom of it, it doesn't float in the sky, the entire thing crumbles to a rain of free rocks

Approximately how much stone is there in one of those anyway?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Broken Cog posted:

There are some dedicated folks on the subreddit

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

This looks like the standard aftermath of any mining expedition

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Azhais posted:

This looks like the standard aftermath of any mining expedition

Looks like the leftovers from our first 1 star troll encounter

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

No clue, we were both nearly full anyway and it was split between us. I think we threw down a worktable to throw down some rock piles or maybe tried stuffing em in a chest, didn't think to count, but I'll be breaking more for future stone projects. My near-castle quarry is ugly and resists being dug any deeper.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

A friend and I collated some tips, guides and links to quality of life mods for our server which may be helpful for others in this thread. Link here.

Still taking suggestions for decent QoL mods as new ones seem to appear every day.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

about 400-450, and mining summons every drat goblin in a 5 mile radius

it's amusing but not a great way to get stone, just drop a portal in the middle of the black forest somewhere and mine all the gigantic stones and when you clear an area move the portal

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

piano chimp posted:

A friend and I collated some tips, guides and links to quality of life mods for our server which may be helpful for others in this thread. Link here.

Still taking suggestions for decent QoL mods as new ones seem to appear every day.

My god... so much stone I've wasted, lost, like uneven terrain on a hidden wonky grid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAxplJ1KM20

I wonder if the high cost of raising ground was to prevent players from using it to make themselves tons of stone. I reckon there's some way to exploit this to make more stone than it costs to raise ground, which would be silly way to make stone for yourself, but maybe the start of some weird thing for a SkyBlock version of valheim.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

like the regular stone deposits do

They don't, it's just the game's idea of "connected to the ground" and what you see on screen may not be the same thing.

https://i.imgur.com/Ok5yGWB.mp4

edit - silver on the other hand will float forever. If you watch it you'll get a bunch of "too hard" messages when the game checks if it should collapse.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 9, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I've had some of them crack if you dig unsupported bits out, but sometimes they float, I assume the game just thinks they're still connected.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

xzzy posted:

They don't, it's just the game's idea of "connected to the ground" and what you see on screen may not be the same thing.

https://i.imgur.com/Ok5yGWB.mp4

edit - silver on the other hand will float forever. If you watch it you'll get a bunch of "too hard" messages when the game checks if it should collapse.

:lol: ok then, that's so goofy

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Absolutely loving the atmosphere of this game, god drat. Played it with 3 friends, one loves it just as much as I do, the other 2 are having a rough start. Mainly because they don't understand the building aspect, and mainly because there's no clear goals, it's sort of "go out there, loot random stuff, figure it out". I'm hoping now that I've got a hang of building, I can teach it to them and they'll enjoy it slightly more.

That being said, I can't find flint, even when I look along riverbeds. Hunting deer and boar is a pain in the rear end because I can walk for ages before finding them. Looting is a bit irritating, cause we'll attack as a group and it's luck of the draw who gets the items. Any advice on this stuff? Does loot really matter in a group setting? It feels a bit unfair that someone can be lucky and get majority loot and then progress faster than the rest of the group, it'd be nice if we could all progress at somewhat the same speed.

Final question is on parrying, is there any sort of audio affirmation that indicates I've successfully parried? Are parries worth it? How come sometimes I still get damaged through a block, and other times I don't. My strat right now is to block or parry the first attack, then get a combo in, then get ready to parry the second attack.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it plays a big cymbal crash sort of noise and the enemy staggers back if you parry, it's absolutely worth doing because you can block bigger stuff with a parry and also the enemy gets stunned and takes more damage when parried, for some enemies it's the only way you'll get time to attack them.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I wonder if its doable to build a base on the edge of the world. Maybe with just enough stone?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

You want lorax, that's how you get lorax

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Qubee posted:

Absolutely loving the atmosphere of this game, god drat. Played it with 3 friends, one loves it just as much as I do, the other 2 are having a rough start. Mainly because they don't understand the building aspect, and mainly because there's no clear goals, it's sort of "go out there, loot random stuff, figure it out". I'm hoping now that I've got a hang of building, I can teach it to them and they'll enjoy it slightly more.

That being said, I can't find flint, even when I look along riverbeds. Hunting deer and boar is a pain in the rear end because I can walk for ages before finding them. Looting is a bit irritating, cause we'll attack as a group and it's luck of the draw who gets the items. Any advice on this stuff? Does loot really matter in a group setting? It feels a bit unfair that someone can be lucky and get majority loot and then progress faster than the rest of the group, it'd be nice if we could all progress at somewhat the same speed.

Final question is on parrying, is there any sort of audio affirmation that indicates I've successfully parried? Are parries worth it? How come sometimes I still get damaged through a block, and other times I don't. My strat right now is to block or parry the first attack, then get a combo in, then get ready to parry the second attack.

Flint spawns near (and in) water (river and beaches) in the Meadows biome - you won't find it in Black Forest. Keep looking, and collect it whenever you see it. Eventually you'll be rolling in it.

As for loot, just share what you find. If one person gets lucky and has a surplus of one resource they can just give it to the others who aren't as lucky.

And yeah, parries are VERY worth it. There's a loud sound and the monster will reel back, and during that animation you do HUGE damage. They're pretty easy to do too, as the input time on putting up your shield is so fast.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Qubee posted:

How come sometimes I still get damaged through a block, and other times I don't.

Each shield has a block value. You will block 100% of damage that is that number or under. Any remainder is mitigated by armor.

More technical info: Shields don't actually block health damage, they simply convert it to stamina damage. Which means blocking large amounts also costs large amounts of stamina. If you're low on stamina, or out, the block lets through however much damage your stamina bar is lacking.

Example 1: You have 100 stamina. (The game doesn't show numbers on the stamina bar but the values are calculated under the hood.) You have a shield that absorbs 50.
Option 1: Mob hits you for 25 - you block 25, 25 is removed from stamina bar, leaving 75
Option 2: Mob hits you for 50 - you block 50, 50 is removed from stamina bar, leaving 50
Option 3: Mob hits you for 75. 50 is blocked (the shield block value), removing 50 from stamina bar. Remaining 25 gets through, and is mitigated by armor. (The armor calculation is more complex, I'm leaving it off here for simplicity, Google can reveal it fairly easily.)

Example 2: You've been running and swinging wildly and have 25 stamina remaining. You have a shield that absorbs 50.
Option 1: Mob hits you for 25 - you block for 25, stamina is now empty.
Option 2: Mob hits you for 50 - you block for 25 (your current stamina, regardless that the shield can block up to 50), 25 gets through, is mitigated by armor.

When you've got all this down, you see that shields are indeed the tops, but stamina management is really the name of the game. This doesn't come up in meadows biome much, it really starts to be a thing when you go to black forest and hit up the crypts. Holding block and backing up is a good way to regen stamina while being at the ready. Once you hit swamps the shield/stamina thing needs to be second nature, because it only gets worse from there.

What I've learned is that regardless of how much of a great shield you have, it's not always the best idea to block, if dodge-rolling is available. The reason is that the block uses up the amount of stamina it absorbs (block a 100-hp swing, use 100 stamina to do it) but dodge-rolling is a fixed stamina cost. If the cost of the dodge is less than the cost of the block, it's better to do that. The inherent risk is that if you mistime it, no damage is blocked and you're taking the full brunt of the hit, minus armor. Risk-reward, etc. And even in that case, you might want to attempt the heavy block anyway, if you're looking to capitalize on the bonus damage from a successful parry. Depends on goals, playstyle, what situation you're in, etc. Especially if you're fighting a group of mobs.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 9, 2021

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

genericnick posted:

Also is there some mechanic that gives you extra minutes of no skill drain if you die repeatedly?

Yeah, every time you die, it resets to ten minutes of no skill drain.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
20 hours in and my buddy and I just got scrap iron lmao

im enjoying how slow we're playing this i'm so used to everyone going insane and min maxing everything

Stagbreaker owns

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/fUQ73iH.mp4

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I did that to a teammate once, although I had already explained the perils of tree-cutting and I was actively yelling at him not to come up the hill towards me. The tree rolled down and killed him, of course. He had not set a nearby bed.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Leal posted:

[tree kill vid]

This happened to me just yesterday...my friend cut down a tree for charcoal, I was walking past minding my own business, then it struck me on the head...I respawned on a faraway island and needed my friend to sail over to pick me up :D
(Then later that session after a big mining expedition, I fell off my roof and respawned on another, different faraway island...I really need to use beds more often)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I sailed to the far reaches of the map today and there was definitely some cool poo poo out there. I want to read more and talk about it, but also don't want spoilers or to spoil anyone. This game man, just sucks you in.

Excited to see what it'll look like in a few years once it's been fleshed out a little more.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

PittTheElder posted:

I sailed to the far reaches of the map today and there was definitely some cool poo poo out there. I want to read more and talk about it, but also don't want spoilers or to spoil anyone. This game man, just sucks you in.

Excited to see what it'll look like in a few years once it's been fleshed out a little more.

I think it does a great, almost understated job, on the audio front. No matter where I am at night, those sounds raise my hackles. If I'm near a base I sprint to my gate and slam it behind me as if every monster in the world is hot on my heels, even though there's nothing behind me. The sound of the gates and doors closing is satisfying, and even if I'm double-walled in front of a fire, some of the sounds they make out there just do such a great job of reminding you that you are always in trouble.

I've got some bases with watchtowers inside and sometimes at night if you're watching what's happening out there, you can see a variety of creepy-crawlies out there raising havoc, and I get the instinct to duck my head below the windowsill so they don't see me. No idea if they can, but something about it makes me feel like I'm 3 years old and scared of what's under my bed. That feeling, along with the fact that the place I'm hiding in is something I made myself, however ugly, replicates what I feel are almost primeval experiences.

Avoiding the darkness, staying near fire, bringing up shelter, making additional walls, putting lights in dark areas, all of these things happen not because the game says "do this now" but because some deep instinct says "I really should do this." And it's never enough, there's always something more you think of, some random occurrence that makes you realize you could be just a bit more secure.

Then again I'm playing the game on the knife's edge, not really spending my time building elaborate constructions but rather making my way up the tech tree with no real fallback plans, with a series of minimalist forward operating bases. I always feel I'm just a bit over my head and that's exactly the right place to be.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I have been progressing so slowly because the Elder is so far away and I've been getting distracted by just.. digging stuff

I know that fighting some greydwarves and so forth every night isn't such a big deal but I got annoyed at hearing the "plonk" of them throwing rocks at my stockades, so I decided that it's time for this viking homesteader to enter the gilded age of.. trench warfare

e:

verbal enema posted:

20 hours in and my buddy and I just got scrap iron lmao

im enjoying how slow we're playing this i'm so used to everyone going insane and min maxing everything

Stagbreaker owns

im 35 hours in and ive only defeated the first boss

boofhead fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 9, 2021

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

At least you're viking enough to clear your stumps. :yayclod:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I've been going with growth by necessity and as a result my home is some kind of airplane hangar with excessively intricate latticework and a back deck for carrots and parties

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

boofhead posted:

im 35 hours in and ive only defeated the first boss

43hrs+one-boss crew checking in! (I'm not sure if I should follow this up with a :D or a :shobon:...)
I'm gonna tackle the second boss soon, though. He's quite far away, so I'm just gonna set up a portal at my main base then found a new outpost+portal on his island, then go for it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Tbh, even if you prefer to build, I would recommend killing the second boss, and getting a small amount of iron so you can gain access to stonebuilding.

Of course, there's no need to rush if you are enjoying yourselves though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:black101:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have finished the fifth boss and have no inclination to continue until the game is feature complete and polished.

The grind is really really excessive. Bosses 4 and 5 are janky and the 5th had several crash-to-desktop incidents. 5th boss is also just loving color and fog overload.

On the other hand, the atmosphere of the world and boss fights are really good. Hope we get more of that.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Broken Cog posted:

Tbh, even if you prefer to build, I would recommend killing the second boss, and getting a small amount of iron so you can gain access to stonebuilding.

Of course, there's no need to rush if you are enjoying yourselves though.

The boss is super far away on another continent but what stopped me from going was realising that I haven't even been building gear appropriate to my level yet. Only yesterday did I finally figure out how to smelt bronze and all that, I thought I needed to do it AFTER the second boss. So I've just been running around doing all that stuff, and I reckon once I have bronze armour and so forth I'll head over and do the same as Major Isoor - sail, portal, kill, and see what unlocks

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
The second boss is definitely "meant" to be fought with troll hide I think you dont need to get into bronze. Third boss bronze, then the game really opens up into new biomes.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
This game needs a better way to share buildings than Youtube videos. Somebody with some proper Javascript skills could make that real quick!

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Scruffpuff posted:

I think it does a great, almost understated job, on the audio front.

I have to agree. I swapped the in-game music out for my own stuff after a few hours, but the first time my playlist ran out I never restarted it and have played the next 35hrs or so with no music. At first I liked that it was creepier at night, then I started getting used to the tiny cues in the distance and now I feel like I'm hurting my survivability if I turn music on and obscure all the sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Is there a trick to finding the leviathan? Like a certain time of day? We've taken some long and frustratingly lonely ocean voyages.