Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Would that possibly be the future of shipping over highways? Giant Trucks going across the interstate like the Waymo mobiles do currently, with people in a service center on standby to answer the vehicles questions/issues if problems come up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Would that possibly be the future of shipping over highways? Giant Trucks going across the interstate like the Waymo mobiles do currently, with people in a service center on standby to answer the vehicles questions/issues if problems come up?

One of the few bits of world building the Logan movie did I absolutely loved. It’s also pretty funny because it shows the AI loving up and running the gang off the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV5_50Lh-LM

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ya know, one thing that gets me is the number one thing that self driving cars should excel at is STOPPING. Hilarious race cars and Teslas being confused aside, once a hazard is identified, the correct response in almost all dangerous situations is to rapidly slow the vehicle to a stop. So many people get this wrong, swerving and steering. Bugs the hell out of me when people bring up the trolley problem as if this is something that humans can make a judgement on in the heat of the moment. The answer to the trolley problem is to STOP!

Those auto-trucks in the clip are clearly aware of vehicles and people in their paths since they are honking, but they should simply be stopping.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Back in the early days of cars and highways, trucking was regulated because few roads could handle the pounding of lots of trucks. There were specific routes they could use and a limit on the number of trucks that could use them. Carter finally ended trucking regulation back in the 70s, BTW.

We could see something similar for a while with self-driving trucks. There may be specific routes with embedded sensors and other feedback mechanisms to help self-driving trucks until they become smart enough to handle it all themselves.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

LRADIKAL posted:

Those auto-trucks in the clip are clearly aware of vehicles and people in their paths since they are honking, but they should simply be stopping.
Our Amazon Prime orders won't be on time if those trucks stopped so it's impossible to say whether it's good or not.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

We could see something similar for a while with self-driving trucks. There may be specific routes with embedded sensors and other feedback mechanisms to help self-driving trucks until they become smart enough to handle it all themselves.

There’s a couple of smart corridors already in place where they do have additional sensors and infrastructure for testing self driving and other technologies. The Ohio 33 smart corridor by Dublin/Columbus is the one I know most of (since I’m by it)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I used to be convinced this was the first stage of large scale autonomous driving. Long haul trucking with ramps directly from the interstate to the intermodal facility. Or maybe a way for a driver to remote into the truck for the final couple of miles off the highway.

But then I started thinking about it a bit, and took it a bit further. What are we starting to describe? A railroad system where random public idiot drivers can get in the way of the freight vehicles. The only advantage is that the roads are “government subsidized”, but depending on the state and current state of repair, not really.

Maybe I have simplified things entirely way too much, but a rail system would seem to remove a lot of the edge cases that give AI driving fits. Granted, I am assuming this countries 150+ year old rail system would need massive updates to allow for autonomous rail freight. But it ought to be possible. Especially if you add in electrical wires removing the need for diesel locomotives or batteries to move the freight around.

So which is the easier problem to solve? The software problem to make AI trucking safe enough, along with the hardware problem of battery electric trucking cost effective? Or the political problem of trying to get government subsidies to build out and/or update the rail system into a more modern system?

I am probably missing some super massive giant problems. Like the political will to spend on infrastructure. Or the fact that trains are not sexy like AI cars.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would literally kill for less truck traffic that’s basically the entirety of road design and the more you have to account for trucks the more expensive it gets and folks cities don’t have a whole lot of money for roads

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the biggest advantage of the truck system is that you can move a 53' trailer point-to-point with great precision and speed. rail requires scale on a lane. autonomous driving trains doesn't solve that problem.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Orvin posted:

I used to be convinced this was the first stage of large scale autonomous driving. Long haul trucking with ramps directly from the interstate to the intermodal facility. Or maybe a way for a driver to remote into the truck for the final couple of miles off the highway.

But then I started thinking about it a bit, and took it a bit further. What are we starting to describe? A railroad system where random public idiot drivers can get in the way of the freight vehicles. The only advantage is that the roads are “government subsidized”, but depending on the state and current state of repair, not really.

Maybe I have simplified things entirely way too much, but a rail system would seem to remove a lot of the edge cases that give AI driving fits. Granted, I am assuming this countries 150+ year old rail system would need massive updates to allow for autonomous rail freight. But it ought to be possible. Especially if you add in electrical wires removing the need for diesel locomotives or batteries to move the freight around.

So which is the easier problem to solve? The software problem to make AI trucking safe enough, along with the hardware problem of battery electric trucking cost effective? Or the political problem of trying to get government subsidies to build out and/or update the rail system into a more modern system?

I am probably missing some super massive giant problems. Like the political will to spend on infrastructure. Or the fact that trains are not sexy like AI cars.
Trains are great for hauling large amounts of cargo between specific points. Trucks don't directly compete with them because trucks are great for hauling limited amounts of stuff between any two random points. Trains also need nearly flat railroads - they don't handle grades well.

Trains barely need human intervention already. Most of the switching is done automatically, human drivers would be relatively easy to replace. However, the cost of a person in the cab of a train is minuscule compared to the value of the freight they're hauling, so there isn't a lot of economic benefit to it.

So I think you're largely comparing apples and oranges. It's not a matter of one or the other - we need both.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There was a bunch of backlash on twitter when some study came out to recommend people wear sensors to help self driving cars out. I do think that is actually a pretty good idea especially with cars getting auto braking systems, have radar reflectors like the visible reflectors that these systems in cars that still have drivers can pick up on.

If it helps improve their accuracy for engaging emergency stops because a kid runs into the road with one clipped on to a backpack that sounds like a plus to me!

Also holy cow the twitter takes were real bad. It’s always an all or nothing absolutism.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This is what people imagine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sblGksEqDnM

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The issue is that it's a further move towards humans accommodating cars, rather than cars accommodating humans.

We are already structuring our world excessively around the needs of cars, from straight wide roads to massive parking lots and lights where pedestrians need several cycles and a wait in the middle just to cross the road.

By putting the responsibility for not getting hit squarely on the pedestrians, you elevate the status self-driving cars above th at og pedestrians, which is the opposite of what we should do.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

The issue is that it's a further move towards humans accommodating cars, rather than cars accommodating humans.

We are already structuring our world excessively around the needs of cars, from straight wide roads to massive parking lots and lights where pedestrians need several cycles and a wait in the middle just to cross the road.

By putting the responsibility for not getting hit squarely on the pedestrians, you elevate the status self-driving cars above th at og pedestrians, which is the opposite of what we should do.

A car weighs 5000 pounds, a human being maybe 200. It doesn't matter who's right. Avoiding collisions between them helps everyone. Cars have a responsibility to avoid pedestrians, but when they screw up they're not the ones getting squashed.

Not putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation in the first place is just standard personal responsibility and common sense.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

A car weighs 5000 pounds, a human being maybe 200. It doesn't matter who's right. Avoiding collisions between them helps everyone. Cars have a responsibility to avoid pedestrians, but when they screw up they're not the ones getting squashed.

Not putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation in the first place is just standard personal responsibility and common sense.

You’re not making the point you think you’re trying to make

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You’re not making the point you think you’re trying to make

Were you not taught to look both ways before you cross the street? Pedestrians already have a bunch of sensors on them to guard against vehicles in the street.

Right now, wearing special transponders or whatever is useless because human drivers can't detect them. With self-driving cars, there's opportunity for greater traffic safety by wearing something the cars would specifically know was a human to be avoided.

Ideally, cars would be perfect and such things would be unnecessary. They're not and never will be, and the pedestrians are the ones that pay for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Ideally, cars would be perfect and such things would be unnecessary. They're not and never will be, and the pedestrians are the ones that pay for it.

This is the argument against self-driving. If the car can’t do it without external tools, then it shouldn’t loving try. The idea that self-driving vehicles would ultimately rely on pedestrian being loving tracked (and let’s be generous and assume that whatever device is being used is only for vehicle awareness and nothing some nightmare big brother bullshit) is laughable and never gonna happen.

Like, I’m a city engineer. Roads, infrastructure, and pedestrian safety is literally my job.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 9, 2021

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This reminds me of a friend who worked for JLR, they of course get in competitors cars often to see what they're doing. He brought over a lovely £100k Mercedes S class one time which is a lovely car and it has self parking mode. So we go out in it, drive to the shop and he tries it out. It 'sees' the cars parked, you select a space you want it to drive into and it tries to whip it in in reverse. Well after what seemed like an eternity of thinking it starts to slot itself into a spot without too much trouble but a little quicker than anybody in the car is comfortable with. A few days later he takes it back to work and goes to park it in the compound with all the other cars. A few of his colleagues are there picking up other stuff so he decides to show off by getting it to park itself while he has his hands out of the window. He picks a spot, the car figures out what to do and starts to move and stick its butt into the space but again at a speed higher than it probably should. It doesn't stop itself and fires into the front bumper of the £250k Rolls Royce Cullinan parked there. Luckily no damage was done but everyone that got to witness learned never to trust the self-parking of an S Class.

I think this is more not understanding how park assist works on an S Class. It steers for you but does not control gears, breaking, or acceleration; that's all the for the driver to handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TG-8Bp_D1M

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Sounds like this is gonna be like when jaywalking was invented all over again, they're gonna pin the blame on pedestrians instead of fixing the problem.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

brand engager posted:

Sounds like this is gonna be like when jaywalking was invented all over again, they're gonna pin the blame on pedestrians instead of fixing the problem.

Ding ding ding.

*fixing the problem they created in the first place

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hey dude at the lights begging for change with your Tim Hortons cup. Here's a special sensor you should affix to your rags so you don't get killed by an autonomous car. Oh wait you're just a homeless person? Well gently caress ya then, die like the rest! That rich guy in the car has places to be!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Your honour, how can my esteemed client, who we have heard is an upstanding citizen, be guilty of "hit and run" and "manslaughter"? His car was merely operating as programmed, and if the deceased chose not to wear a sensor unit, well my client is hardly the one to blame for that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Your sensor was only compatible with Fords, that is why the Tesla hit you.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Your sensor was only compatible with Fords, that is why the Tesla hit you.

Wouldn't this no poo poo be a valid statement since Tesla's AP is camera only and most other self driving tech uses radar? (Or is it LIDAR)

My snowboarding jacket has radar reflectors in it so that they can find my frozen corpse after an avalanche, I was imagining a similar system.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would literally kill for less truck traffic that’s basically the entirety of road design and the more you have to account for trucks the more expensive it gets and folks cities don’t have a whole lot of money for roads

The NYC area has a lot of parkways where trucks aren't allowed, some of them are really nice, like the Taconic State, shame the speed limit's so low. Seems like the road surface maintenance investment is much lower.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Wouldn't this no poo poo be a valid statement since Tesla's AP is camera only and most other self driving tech uses radar? (Or is it LIDAR)

My snowboarding jacket has radar reflectors in it so that they can find my frozen corpse after an avalanche, I was imagining a similar system.

The NYC area has a lot of parkways where trucks aren't allowed, some of them are really nice, like the Taconic State, shame the speed limit's so low. Seems like the road surface maintenance investment is much lower.

Tesla’s adaptive cruise control uses radar, hence why it can’t see stopped cars on the highway.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Elviscat posted:

When I picked up my Model 3 from Mt. Kisco, I decided to drive home on the Taconic parkway specifically because there would be no trucks, and because I had never been on it before.

I ended up driving through a crazy snow storm most of the way over those lovely, lovely roads in my brand new car. It was really tense, but helped me feel comfortable with vehicle’s winter driving capabilities right from the start!

I’d really like to go back at some point during nice weather.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Aino Minako posted:

When I picked up my Model 3 from Mt. Kisco, I decided to drive home on the Taconic parkway specifically because there would be no trucks, and because I had never been on it before.

I ended up driving through a crazy snow storm most of the way over those lovely, lovely roads in my brand new car. It was really tense, but helped me feel comfortable with vehicle’s winter driving capabilities right from the start!

I’d really like to go back at some point during nice weather.

A snowstorm's probably the time to take the interstate, yeah.

I bought my '66 Mustang in Mt Kisco! I was living up in Saratoga at the time.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Were you not taught to look both ways before you cross the street? Pedestrians already have a bunch of sensors on them to guard against vehicles in the street.

Right now, wearing special transponders or whatever is useless because human drivers can't detect them. With self-driving cars, there's opportunity for greater traffic safety by wearing something the cars would specifically know was a human to be avoided.

Why do you not drive your kids to school in a tank? Do you want them to get killed if a F150 blows the lights and sideswipes you? Almost as irresponsible as letting them walk there on the pavement where they could be mown down by a drunk driver.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

McPhearson posted:

I think this is more not understanding how park assist works on an S Class. It steers for you but does not control gears, breaking, or acceleration; that's all the for the driver to handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TG-8Bp_D1M

Haha, that would explain a lot then! It would be nice if you didn't need to have an accident to figure out your 'automatic' parking was just automatic steering instead. This is the old Tesla autopilot thing again... They were both reverse parking spots so straight in, no gear change required which might be why the car didn't make any fuss. :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Teaser images for the Kia EV6

https://i.imgur.com/CkY0Zmj.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/f3ZvESp.mp4

Not any info besides the fact it's an E-GMP, and what that slideshow last month said. In that slideshow they said they're naming the cars EV1-9. So, they'll have an EV1?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ok I'm pumped for that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That's some pretty wild arch gap.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Air suspension for better mall crawling?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Deteriorata posted:

There's a square at the top of the street I live on which deliberately has no road markings or separated pavement/sidewalk. It's a shared space between pedestrians and traffic - the idea is that lines on the road and separate pedestrian areas make car drivers behave like they own the space and can go as fast as they like, and removing those features inherently forces drivers to be more considerate. It works really well and drivers cruise round slowly, while pedestrians kind of go where they like.

One of the streets by a university I studied at did the same thing on a larger scale. I think there should be more of this stuff as it makes cities nicer places to live. It's completely the opposite of making all pedestrians carry a transponder and essentially assigning them the responsibility not to get run over. That seems like an awful idea to me.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/45054/the-naked-street-imperial-engineers-help/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's some pretty wild arch gap.

drat didn't see this on my phone.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

There's a square at the top of the street I live on which deliberately has no road markings or separated pavement/sidewalk. It's a shared space between pedestrians and traffic - the idea is that lines on the road and separate pedestrian areas make car drivers behave like they own the space and can go as fast as they like, and removing those features inherently forces drivers to be more considerate. It works really well and drivers cruise round slowly, while pedestrians kind of go where they like.

One of the streets by a university I studied at did the same thing on a larger scale. I think there should be more of this stuff as it makes cities nicer places to live. It's completely the opposite of making all pedestrians carry a transponder and essentially assigning them the responsibility not to get run over. That seems like an awful idea to me.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/45054/the-naked-street-imperial-engineers-help/

That sounds like a utopian vision for a city, completely at odds with the idea that cities are places you commute to, not live in, which is pervasive in a lot of, if not most of North America.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTY5jOBOLpk
Guy has been stalking out the Ioniq 5 for a couple of weeks until he managed to get it in motion. Cool, not sure I learned too much besides it doesn't have a rear wiper (?!) and the U.S. spec appears to have red turn signals. Also, the testers forgot to put the CCS plug cover back on. 🤪

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh hey Hyundai now tells you the nearest state where I could actually get an Ioniq (since they don’t sell them in Ohio). That said, please start selling EVs in Ohio, Hyundai. :negative:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh hey Hyundai now tells you the nearest state where I could actually get an Ioniq (since they don’t sell them in Ohio). That said, please start selling EVs in Ohio, Hyundai. :negative:

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was browsing on their main website’s offer since they have some spring event and if you click on any of their EV/Plug-In they now have this little notice on top (for the EV it says select states) and then it also bothers to show you the nearest dealer (before it was just nowhere near, sorry)