Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that is what paradox games are. You make your own fun. The core loop may be to blob but you can do what you want.

If they tried to force you to role play the game would collapse on itself as players like to role play...on their own terms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Party In My Diapee posted:

I play CK2 and Vicky2 as simulation and story telling games, not just to paint the map. If paradox ever makes a game that is actually meant to be played this way i think it will have more success than any of their strategy games.

That's part of why CK2 made so many mainstream gaming headlines when it came out, imo. It at least pretended at breaking this mold, and scratched an itch most Strategy games don't even try to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I painted the whole map once in CK2, but have dozens of games where I simply became the biggest empire in the world, and then hosed around converting France to Buddhism or whatever. Also two games where I stayed a vassal the whole time, several games being a one province merchant republic, a few games where I ruled a good sized kingdom and tried to put as many of my relatives on foreign thrones as possible, etc. Most games involved at least some map painting, which was usually quite fun, but Crusader Kings is engaging even apart from expanding.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I definitely fell back into the map-painting mould with CK after a point, but it's absolutely the best game in the stable for giving you things to do and think about which aren't painting. Also the only Paradox game to even gesture at "the bigger you are, the harder it is to hold things together", which is kind of a crucial element for making the post-painting stage interesting.

I dunno I feel like, for a game about building empires, "being an empire" being no fun is a fatal flaw.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Usually empire building games try to make "being an empire" interesting by adding a lot of interesting management decisions. But then they realize it doesn't scale well and players get bored from managing 40 cities in Civilization, and they add automation, limits on expansion etc. Paradox devs are probably terrified of this issue cause they have to support One Province Minors and in the midgame players are expected to have hundred(s) of provinces.

And I think I:R found a nice solution to this problem by having cities and metropolises. You have your hundreds of provinces, and each one is important in some ways, but really in most of them you can just build a single building and little else. Maybe they need some other step like giving cities you are content with self-governance rights that will stabilize those cities. And then they can make internal economy more impactful, maybe do something with roads or province administration that would make city management more interesting and rewarding.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I’ve played an entire multiplayer campaign as the Swiss in Vicky two and role-played as a Swiss without attacking a single person or getting into any alliances aside from vision alliances to watch wars go through. My survival completely relied on me convincing everyone around me that I would not betray them and actually provide a means through the alps to reach them.

It was probably my most memorable game I’ve ever played in that game.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I was on my way to conquering the Iberian Peninsula as Rome and the game just...ended? I guess I hit a time limit? As Rome I managed to take over the entirety of Italy up into Cisalpine Gaul, Greece, Carthage/North Africa, and was like 80% into Iberia when I got the "A Winner Is You!" screen.

Also, I only got one achievement? Is there some kind of achievement bug? I'm sure I met the criteria for others...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

I was on my way to conquering the Iberian Peninsula as Rome and the game just...ended? I guess I hit a time limit? As Rome I managed to take over the entirety of Italy up into Cisalpine Gaul, Greece, Carthage/North Africa, and was like 80% into Iberia when I got the "A Winner Is You!" screen.

Game ends at the end of the Republic, it's pretty short. You can keep going if you want, though.

e: Actually, can you keep playing in ironman?

Fhqwhgads posted:

Also, I only got one achievement? Is there some kind of achievement bug? I'm sure I met the criteria for others...

You may need to open the achievement browser to make it fire, I think that is (was?) a known problem.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Do I need the DLC to get the new mechanics or was it a complete overhaul and I can try out the new stuff with just the base game? I feel like the first DLC for paradox games should just be free at this point.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the dlc is mostly custom mission trees for certain factions and great wonders, which are nice but are very much a late game flex. Everything else is free

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Agean90 posted:

the dlc is mostly custom mission trees for certain factions and great wonders, which are nice but are very much a late game flex. Everything else is free

Tight, thanks. Excited to try it again when I get home - bounced off hard at release but this is sounding more and more like ancient world Vicky which is extremely my poo poo.

Out of curiosity, which factions get new missions?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Tight, thanks. Excited to try it again when I get home - bounced off hard at release but this is sounding more and more like ancient world Vicky which is extremely my poo poo.

Out of curiosity, which factions get new missions?

This DLC was the diadochi (Bactria not withstanding). Previous DLCs did Rome & Carthage, the Greek minors and Epirus.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fhqwhgads posted:

The current time limit is real bad. You could easily tack another century on and have an actual endgame

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Fuligin posted:

The current time limit is real bad. You could easily tack another century on and have an actual endgame

I think they either need to go up until Trajan since that was the maximum extent of the Roman Empire or go to the Crisis of the Third Century because it allows you to end with a big end game crisis and is thematically right because right after the crisis is when Diocletian does his reforms that drastically restructure the empire and set the ground work for the rise of Feudalism.

I'd prefer the second one but I'm ok with the first.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fuligin posted:

Yeah I find the game generally ends right as the big powers are running out of minors to grind through and are about to have to start actually fighting each other

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Anyone have advice for the Bosporan Kingdom? Mostly stuck on how many god drat inventions there are, my first target is obviously to secure the Crimean peninsula

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The time limit seems silly to me. Anyone remember the dev justification? The civil war and formation of the empire feels right in the middle of the classical era, seems like an abrupt stop to put it there. I agree with the above poster that the apex of Roman power seems a natural end point, from the depths of Alexander's shattered empire to the height of the Roman one. Diocletian feels kinda far away, the administration of the empire had become sufficiently complex by then that the game mechanics start to feel pretty limited. I think throwing on another 144 years to get to Trajans death feels appropriate, and then maybe dlc can bloat it out to 453 (Atilla dead) or 476.

e: honestly actually it would be dope to have a game between diocletian and Crusader Kings, focused on early feudalism, a depopulated europe, the rise of Islam and the great migrations

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 8, 2021

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

A paradox migration era game has been on my fantasy list since the original crusader kings

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Anyone have advice for the Bosporan Kingdom? Mostly stuck on how many god drat inventions there are, my first target is obviously to secure the Crimean peninsula

Trick with inventions is to figure out what you want to be good at first, then look for what part of what tree helps that. Bonuses tend to be grouped in the tree by domain- there's the fighty tree, the siegey tree, the diplo tree, the politics tree, etc, and branches within those focusing on specific sub areas, so you can really focus on a particular area of activity if you have one in mind.

Something else that's served me well is looking for the big pivotal inventions and walking the shortest path to those. These tend to have special markings in the UI to help focus you on them, though not all of those as are important as others. Some big ticket ones:

Forced march unlock
Legion laws unlock
Culture/religious dissemination law unlocks
Other law unlocks
Foundry/Temple/Theatre unlocks
Research efficiency cap raisers
Urban (or rural) planning (additional building slots +other goodies)
Winning land by the spear (endgame CB unlock)

I cannot, uh, remember what most of these are called, though some of them are called out in other parts of the UI and there's a search bar you can use to find something specific.

Also remember that you're not going to have enough inventions to grab everything. This is what my tech trees look like, 40 years after the end of the game, a hundred+ years ahead of time in tech, and with a good dozen or two bonus inventions:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

e: honestly actually it would be dope to have a game between diocletian and Crusader Kings, focused on early feudalism, a depopulated europe, the rise of Islam and the great migrations

It's not Paradox, but CA did Total War Attila which covers a small part of that period

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The original justification was that the game was supposed to be about the Roman Republican period and not the empire, they then decided to use a name for the game which 99.99% of their audience will associate directly with the Roman Empire. I'm happy with the amount of time that the game runs for but then I think I have had maybe 1 or 2 EU games ever go into the 1700s and I've been playing EU3 since before the first expansion came out

The left side of the religious invention tree is really good, it unlocks temples and conversion laws both of which let you religiously convert pops nice and fast. Integrate scythian culture so you can use their cool horse levies.

I'd suggest conquering the other Bosporan culture city states first, they're weak and much easier to fight than the Scythians if they make any alliances.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 8, 2021

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

It's not Paradox, but CA did Total War Attila which covers a small part of that period

There's also an AGEOD game, Great Invasions. Which is old and creaky and very boardgame, but exists.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

There's also an AGEOD game, Great Invasions. Which is old and creaky and very boardgame, but exists.

It's a very interesting and unique game, but nothing close to "fun". I like how it approaches the idea of empires as "breathing" - they expand, become a proper kingdom, and then slowly fall to mismanagement, then someone comes in to reform and expands to an even greater size, etc. Now the actual gameplay... didn't really work out in a way that made this fun.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I know it's been talked about recently, but I'm really worried about how fast Rome is expanding in my Dumnonia game. It's only been about 30 years and they already have all of Italy and are pushing into France and Carthage. I'm well on my way to uniting the British isles but it seems like I'm already too late to ever mount an effective resistance against Rome once they turn north. Am I really screwed that soon out of the gate?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jabarto posted:

I know it's been talked about recently, but I'm really worried about how fast Rome is expanding in my Dumnonia game. It's only been about 30 years and they already have all of Italy and are pushing into France and Carthage. I'm well on my way to uniting the British isles but it seems like I'm already too late to ever mount an effective resistance against Rome once they turn north. Am I really screwed that soon out of the gate?

I've never seen Rome actually conquer Gaul let alone Britain in my games. Usually they just take Greece and like Romania and poo poo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jabarto posted:

playing as gaul rn, rome somehow hasn't really done much against carthage but ate greece, illyria, and most of dacia. Managed to get a good win against them by waiting for them to declare war on someone else then invaded while all their armies were elsewhere. They were able to focus on me eventually, but with their losses they'd taken against me and whoever they were at war with combined with the size of the front let me beat isolated armies until I was no longer outnumbered.

I haven't messed around with them a lot but I think the espionage options have potential to help out too. Bribing a legion commander into disloyalty can take that legion out of the war, and if your lucky you might be able to flip them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Does this game have an equivalent key to CK/EU where I hold it as I drag select to make it not select my loving ships instead of my troops every time even when I zoom right in and specifically make sure the ships aren't in the box? Because that poo poo is really annoying.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I think it's control or shift, it must be a different button to EU4 because I keep loving it up

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

They should take a hint from engineering software. If the end point of your selection is to the right of the start point you select everything, if it's to the left then it's a lomited selection. Or vice versa.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

2.0.2 patch just dropped, a lot more changes than I was expecting. Some fairly large balance changes and UI fixes in there and they fixed the "enemy civil war steals your territory" bug, the "enemy civil war forces white peace" bug and the "can't colonise holy sites" bugs which were the most annoying ones I think.

Patch notes here

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

A lot of balance guns being aimed at the xp exploit, but it feels more like a fundamental design flaw than a numbers problem, to be honest. So long as levies get starting xp and you can raise/dismiss them at peace you're going to be able to magic up traditions from nowhere.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

There are a lot of nerfs across the board. It all may make your decisions feel less impactful. But maybe they know what they're doing and only balanced exploitative mechanics.

Also it seems that Devs didn't realize that players need screenshots with arrows to learn how to build cities and metropolises. Maybe they're going to rework it in the major patch.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

The changes definitely fixed that disbanding my Italian levy as Rome doesn't give me an instant 200 military experience, but I would agree that the issue is a fundamental flaw with how levies can start with experience. I'm not really sure about a satisfying fix to it either that doesn't involve completely reworking the military experience system. Game's still pretty fun after the most recent patch/expansion at least.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Kagon posted:

I'm not really sure about a satisfying fix to it either that doesn't involve completely reworking the military experience system.

Battles/sieges give military experience directly, maybe?

An idea that was floated on the official forum was to change "starting experience" to "minimum experience for legion cohorts", which I like, but Paradox seem very attached to cohort experience being something that you grind up with peacetime drilling and slowly falls apart during wartime.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I conquered almost all of Rome but they just rebranded as "Roma Perdita" and kept on rolling :smith:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lmao, in my tuscia game they ended up getting eaten by the samnites and the lucineans after I kicked them out of rome

wonder what the event text for that is

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Battles/sieges give military experience directly, maybe?

An idea that was floated on the official forum was to change "starting experience" to "minimum experience for legion cohorts", which I like, but Paradox seem very attached to cohort experience being something that you grind up with peacetime drilling and slowly falls apart during wartime.

I think this would be an excellent idea- that way you can't just raise levies/dismiss them 8 months later for a ton of tradition exp out of no where. It would feel like you'd need battles and sieges to give significant amounts of experience to compensate rather than the rather paltry amount you seem to currently gain (if any, honestly- I can't even tell if you currently gain any this way).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Alikchi posted:

I conquered almost all of Rome but they just rebranded as "Roma Perdita" and kept on rolling :smith:

Does that mean "Punished Rome"?

If so I love it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Kagon posted:

I think this would be an excellent idea- that way you can't just raise levies/dismiss them 8 months later for a ton of tradition exp out of no where. It would feel like you'd need battles and sieges to give significant amounts of experience to compensate rather than the rather paltry amount you seem to currently gain (if any, honestly- I can't even tell if you currently gain any this way).

Battles/sieges do not currently give anything directly- you get a monthly trickle that's proportional to the average experience of your owned cohorts. I think the experience-on-dismiss thing was added primarily to stop people from feeling like they were missing out on that if they dismissed the levies immediately after the end of the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

A lot of balance guns being aimed at the xp exploit, but it feels more like a fundamental design flaw than a numbers problem, to be honest. So long as levies get starting xp and you can raise/dismiss them at peace you're going to be able to magic up traditions from nowhere.

Removing the xp bonus from foundries entirely probably made it sufficiently not-absurd that it's now able to be classified as a "strategy" rather than an "exploit". And foundries got a fairly large buff in terms of their ability to boost your economy, so that's cool.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Battles/sieges do not currently give anything directly- you get a monthly trickle that's proportional to the average experience of your owned cohorts. I think the experience-on-dismiss thing was added primarily to stop people from feeling like they were missing out on that if they dismissed the levies immediately after the end of the war.

The thing is, the obvious fix here is surely that you make mil xp generated directly from fighting and not reliant on unit xp. Instead they went the totally backwards route of adding an extra rule for levies so that their unit xp is meaningful towards producing military xp.