Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Verman posted:

When my dog gets fixated on another dog is hard to get his attention. Kibble is "lol useless" territory and it usually requires a high value treat like chicken or cheese and someone's he's not even interested in a treat.

This is my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Believe me I am counting my blessings that Apollo is that food-motivated.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

fuzzy_logic posted:

When I first got my dog home from the pound I had a very intense moment of "oh god now what". It's weird just having a dog that is now ... there just all the time.

I’m 5 weeks into my first puppy and this is still me. Girlfriend (who has had lots of dogs) is cracking up because I am not very nurturing, but after getting Gobi I’m constantly worried about him, I’ve rearranged my house like 3 times to try and accommodate him, and now I kind of build my days around him.

It’s fun having a puppy, but I do look forward to when he’s older and a little more calm. I’ll likely be going back into an office soon and it will be hard leaving him alone all day.

Bonus video of his insane zoomies the other day.

https://streamable.com/zkzus4

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The hardest part about puppies is thinking, "Jesus christ I can't wait for this little demon to be older and well behaved" but honestly puppy period goes by so fast, I barely remember my dog as a puppy anymore and he's 6 now. Sure I don't miss the biting and stuff but the zooms followed by instant naps was something I'll miss.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
You're waiting a while for the "more well behaved" part. Most 1-2 year old dogs I've ever met may not have the same puppy problems, but they're still little demons.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

WhiteHowler posted:

You're waiting a while for the "more well behaved" part. Most 1-2 year old dogs I've ever met may not have the same puppy problems, but they're still little demons.

Can confirm, Scout turns 1 on the 28th and is still terrible.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Can confirm, Scout turns 1 on the 28th and is still terrible.

What I’m hoping happens between now and the 1 year mark is that I learn how to better read what the puppy needs, so that I can react accordingly.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My one (to two) year old hound is still a little energetic terror. Cute though, and I've only had her a couple months but she's becoming well behaved.

Question about changing food though.

I didn't really think much about it, since I did bother trying to match what the old owner had and it was never a problem when I got her, but this bag of food I bought is different than the last bag. I didn't switch for any reason other than 'this stuff is available here so I won't have to make another stop on my errands'.

However today Ellie has been a bit off her appetite, last night she had some diarrhea and this morning she didn't eat breakfast right away but instead at it a few hours later than normal. She's also ignoring the bully stick I gave her and being relatively sedate all day.

She had normal poops this morning and doesn't seem to be in any distress aside from being a bit more sedate than normal, so I'm not really worried about her, but I don't know if this is because of a change in kibble brand or if it might just be a coincidence?

I don't know how temperamental dog tummies are.

E: she had dinner at a normal time, went out for a potty break, and is back to lying down. If I didn't know she was normally turbo energetic I wouldn't think naything was off, maybe she's just having a quiet day.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 8, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Kepler turns one year old next week (well, we're guessing -- we decided "Pi Day" is his birthday, based on how old the vet thinks he is). His behavior is improving, but he definitely has 95% wild-rear end young dog in him a lot of the time.

And yeah, dog tummies can be crazy sensitive. We've had this one on the same food for two months. Same portions, same times every day, in a slow-feeding bowl so he can't inhale the food in three seconds.

We changed to a different flavor of cookies in the same brand, and he immediately got two days of diarrhea. Same thing happened last time we changed his cookies.

The only time he's ever not had soft poops is when we were giving him a lot of boiled chicken breasts for training treats. We needed high-value treats for some difficult sessions outside, and he loves chicken more than he loves to breathe. But yeah, when he started getting actual chicken breast meat, his poops got way more normal.

So I don't know. I called the vet, and she suggested bringing in a stool sample. He just had one less than two months ago that was completely normal, so I really want to change his food, but the vet didn't love the idea.

How long should I let him continue to be a soft-serve machine?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

devmd01 posted:

No puppy here, getting a 2 year old rescue Dane mix from the animal control shelter. Already housebroken but he is very rambunctious based on the meet and greets.

We have a huge fenced in back yard and I enjoy trail running, so I am hoping to train him up to be a buddy I can take out into the woods for 3-5 miles.

Danes aren't really built for running. They can do hiking, sure, but longer range running tends to be bad for them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I haven't poked my head ITT in a while but I was just gonna say, I don't think a Dane would even want to run that far from what I've read about them.

But I'll totally pay you to take my hound for a 5 mile run :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It is hilarious watching Apollo struggling to figure out how to extract the treat from my hand as fast as possible so he can get back to barking at strange dogs. I pull out the treat, call his name, show it to him/put it in front of his nose if he's too focused, and then make him sit (which he does immediately because treat!!!!) and give it to him. And he will sometimes try to lunge for it and pal, no, you will sit. Which he does.

It puts a halt to our walk but it's SO much faster than standing there and trying to stop him from lunging at the other dog.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Danes aren't really built for running. They can do hiking, sure, but longer range running tends to be bad for them.

What would you call longer range? I’m not looking to do half marathons, just run a couple of miles in the woods with a buddy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

devmd01 posted:

What would you call longer range? I’m not looking to do half marathons, just run a couple of miles in the woods with a buddy.

AKC says:

quote:

Great Danes may seem sedate, but they require daily exercise appropriate to their age. A brisk walk two or three times a day can be enough. They can make good companions on jogs or hikes, but you must wait until the dog is 2 years old to avoid damage to growing joints. Because of the risk of bloat, avoid rigorous exercise around mealtimes. Danes tend to follow their nose wherever a scent takes them, so they should always be kept on a leash and only allowed loose in areas secured with a tall fence. Many Great Danes enjoy participating in agility, obedience, tracking events, weight pulls, and sports such as flyball.

Doesn't really answer your question, but I'd say just start out with 1 mile and see if the dog likes it / has energy for more. Definitely plan your time such that your runs might turn into walks and therefore take longer to complete :v: AKC describes them as more energetic than everything I've heard annecdotally but I'm sure there is also plenty of variance from individual dog.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

devmd01 posted:

For running...anything over 1/2 a mile, really. A Dane is not a suitable dog as running partner...and as a 2 year old, sure, he'll keep up with you, but it wont be good for him.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Most """dane""" mixes are just big pit bull mixes anyway :shrug:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

The shelter I adopted my hound dog from had a couple of adult dogs noted as "would make a great running buddy".

My hound dog was noted as "loves belly rubs".

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've tried running with my hound but she is so scent driven it's impossible. She'll just stop dead in her tracks in the middle of the street and my option is to hurdle over her or faceplant into the pavement.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I can jog about a block with my hound on one side and my feist on the other. It can't be on the first lap though, that lap is for sniffing and peeing. I don't think I could jog much more than one block right now anyway.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
My vet said the whole “wait til your dog is older to hog with it” thing is not scientifically proven. Her perspective was to follow visual clues from your pup to make sure he isn’t continuing to jog past when he is tired.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pongo is perfect and is an extremely good boy. He is a completely different dog from the shelter compared to even 4 hours later. He has handled every single situation like a champ, including going on a hike, meeting multiple neighbors, ignoring the next door dogs that are outside all day, and most importantly seeing my cat, going “yep, that’s a cat,” and ignoring her. Pepper is mad but she is getting less mad and braver more and more. :3:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 9, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

vs Dinosaurs posted:

My vet said the whole “wait til your dog is older to hog with it” thing is not scientifically proven. Her perspective was to follow visual clues from your pup to make sure he isn’t continuing to jog past when he is tired.

get a new vet

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Dogs will most definitely run beyond the point of tired (and causing damage), so this is a really poor indicator.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I can't help but feel like this varies from breed to breed significantly? Huge dogs that are already prone to hip issues are a different animal (:thunk:) to smaller dogs that are bred to be energy monsters.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, my reading (as a non-expert) on that advice was that running a Great Dane is kind of like telling someone with bad knees to take up jogging for exercise.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Fair enough. I’ll also discuss it with our vet at his first appointment next week. First order of business is likely to fatten him up, he is way too skinny. I think someone trained this dog, it responds exceptionally well to many basic commands.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 10, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, my reading (as a non-expert) on that advice was that running a Great Dane is kind of like telling someone with bad knees to take up jogging for exercise.

danes are hunting dogs.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you aren't actively attaching your 3 week old puppies to fuckin' 220-volt lines to learn to heel are you even a hardcore dog trainer

Okay I'm doing this now but the extension cord says not to daisy chain so I can only go 50 feet. Plus it's a pretty heavy gauge, so it's difficult to manage the power line and the dog at the same time. Thinking of maybe a stroller to carry a self winding extension cord, or maybe a couple marine cell batteries and a solar inverter for mobility. Any suggestions from the thread?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Large bone dogs, when I was researching, iirc advised 10 minutes of walking per month to a year+ when you can be more lax to the point of no concern. Similar how you can expect an hour in the crate per month.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
The puppy in question is a GSP, and he’s been able to handle the 3 minutes of running at a time that we’ve done.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just play it safe and don’t let your dog’s feet touch the earth for the first 8 months. Some vets are even recommending holding off for the full year. Also if they don’t meet 1000 different people within the first three days after birth just lmao enjoy your uncontrollable murder beast.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Anybody have any experience with dogs in heat?

My 1-2 year old is starting her cycle, given her age this is most likely the second heat she's had, and I just want to make sure that the behavior I'm seeing falls within normal healthy range. Having no experience of my own to rely on.

I'm sure it's heat because the physical changes are not subtle at this point, it's been only a couple days but since I noticed the changed behavior I've been sorta paying close attention to be sure she wasn't just normal sick.

She seems to have a diminished appetite, but not so much that she's not eating, she still takes her normal 2 meals a day but won't take any treats, even the good stuff like cheese or peanut butter, and her poos are mostly normal, she had a bit of a liquidy poo the other day but it's not like a constant thing.

She's also much lower energy than normal, she hasn't really been interested in playing or much of anything aside from sitting quitely and either sleeping or just chilling and looking out the window. We still go on a couple walks a day and she's had a good time on those, but that's just about it.

Lastly she's not really interested in me for right now either, normally if I go and sit down by her when she's sitting/lying down she'll happily roll over and want to get pets/wrassle and interact, but now she'll let me pet her head in passing but if I try to sit next to her and give her any amount of attention she just gets up and moves away instead.

This all sound like reasonable dog in heat things? The internet tells me that the total heat cycle will take about a month but this beginning part tends to be when the dog is most out-of-sorts? I'm not really sure.

Also i guess I should say to prevent any arguments, that the decision to not spay was reached with her vet's advice, so I'm not just some crazy person who doesn't want to take care of their dog. Quite the opposite even.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 10, 2021

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Just play it safe and don’t let your dog’s feet touch the earth for the first 8 months. Some vets are even recommending holding off for the full year. Also if they don’t meet 1000 different people within the first three days after birth just lmao enjoy your uncontrollable murder beast.

I got this advice unironically from this lady at my pet training place (not the trainer, just someone I met). She said that she basically didn’t let their dog outside the house until it was almost 7 months old because of parvo and whatever else.

I mean with the socialization stuff I get, especially with my Shiba I’ve been taking every chance I can get before he’s 6 months, but I can’t imagine quarantining your puppy inside for like 4 whole months.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Agent355 posted:

This all sound like reasonable dog in heat things? The internet tells me that the total heat cycle will take about a month but this beginning part tends to be when the dog is most out-of-sorts? I'm not really sure.

Also i guess I should say to prevent any arguments, that the decision to not spay was reached with her vet's advice, so I'm not just some crazy person who doesn't want to take care of their dog. Quite the opposite even.

Some bitches can be moody or achy when they come into heat but neither of my bitches have been lower energy when they're in. They're all different though! Make sure you know about the symptoms of pyometra because that's the main worry with cycling bitches. If you're concerned it's better to call your vet and have it be nothing than have a potentially life-threatening infection happening.

Also keeping bitches intact at least through maturity is becoming more common and I hope people are starting to see that it's not the end of the world to not get your dog fixed as young as physically possible. My older bitch is fixed now but my younger one just started her first heat over the weekend at 11 months old. It's gross when your awful puppy scoots her vag all the way down the armrest of your couch but otherwise I have not found it to be particularly troublesome to deal with an intact bitch.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I took Pongo to go get his nails trimmed, we visited the pet store, then went to Lowe’s after that. Completely perfect behavior the entire time, I am floored. We really found a fantastic dog and I am glad he has his forever home.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Their behavior can and probably will change over the next 6 months as they learn their new environment, but cool :)

This rear end in a top hat STILL tries to climb into the front half of the car, which I do not support and don't know how to disabuse her of the habit. For a while I just installed some mesh screen that mounts to the headrests which kept her out of the front, mostly, but it does impact rear visibility and I don't like it. Got a new car last month and haven't wanted to install the screen.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I need to take my girl to a groomer and get her nails done if I can't manage to do it myself, they're getting long.

I'm worried about her behaving badly there though.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How does everyone handle dogs "putting on the brakes" during walks? Gobi is decent on walks at 4 months, and I know it's kind of a Shiba trait, but sometimes he just puts on the brakes, four-feet on the ground, hunched to resist moving at all. He stops to sniff and listen a lot, which is one thing, but he'll do this as we near my apartment after a walk or when he really wants something I won't let him have (like the dead mouse I pried out of his mouth this morning).

Right now it's easy to just pick him up and move him, but I feel like that's setting a bad precedent. I don't like to just drag him, but I also don't want him to think he can control our walks by just not moving. Any tips or tricks for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My aforementioned rear end in a top hat of a hound does that all the time on our walks if I take a turn down the path that is a shorter walk. Or any time at all when we start to go home. Or turn around at a trail head.

The real answer is to have treats on you and work on their Recall, but I kinda just give her a tug or two or three and she eventually concedes.