Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i question the postulate that the lightsaber is the most dangerous weapon in a galaxy that includes things like death stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i question the postulate that the lightsaber is the most dangerous weapon in a galaxy that includes things like death stars

that's no weapon, it's a space station

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Manager Hoyden posted:

There's no bot, just the lowest paid writer in the history of content mills.

Yeah, the only "bot" involved is the youtube algorithm that these channels are trying to game. It's easy to look at these videos and think they're bizarre and artless because a computer spit them out but it's just because the animators are taking every shortcut in the book to produce content as fast and cheap as possible. One of those shortcuts is "animating" a video once and uploading it multiple times with swapped out character models, which also leads people to believe they're all AI made.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

He should have just deflected the blast back at it.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

And furthermore, why doesn’t luke just use a regular gun against the borg?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kweojd-D10A

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

is not the death star super laser just a very long light saber?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Now I want to see starship battles in melee

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Regarde Aduck posted:

is not the death star super laser just a very long light saber?

How the gently caress does a light saber have a finite length anyway\

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Data Graham posted:

Polarity fields duh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More concerning is why is the light saber straight? It should be curved. Really it's a light arming sword.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

that bull animation is a Jackass bit in a low-budget A Town Called Panic style with a layer of memes spread on top, there was definitely some thought put into it

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

My space fantasy doesn't make sense :mad:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
given the whole light wave thing, a light kukri or flamberge would make the most sense

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I have seen people (not here) unironically defend James May's actions here like, "you're supposed to do that to check for snow and ice build up in the barrel, and it had just been cleared by the expert they had with them". What, the expert who dived in to stop May from pointing it at his face?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I want to see a jedi with a light urumi

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

flavor.flv posted:

I want to see a jedi with a light urumi

If you can think up some dumber than shiiiiiiit idea for a light (weapon) then I guarantee you someone in an actual Star Wars book already thought of it.

Here's a quick taster.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Irek_Ismaren

quote:

Irek was subjected to growth hormones and cybernetic enhancements, greatly increasing his strength and causing him to grow to three meters in height. Additionally, lightsabers were installed in his elbows, forearms, wrists, and knees.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Memento posted:

I have seen people (not here) unironically defend James May's actions here like, "you're supposed to do that to check for snow and ice build up in the barrel, and it had just been cleared by the expert they had with them". What, the expert who dived in to stop May from pointing it at his face?

I think I read something somewhere about him claiming that he had his finger in the chamber or whatever (I don't know guns) or somesuch other situation whereby he was able to confirm it wasn't loaded/couldn't fire in that situation, but IDK

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There's only been one cool use of lightsaber tech.

drat that's badass

e: gdi

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

OwlFancier posted:

More concerning is why is the light saber straight? It should be curved. Really it's a light arming sword.
Well, really, it's not even a blade. It's topologically "Oops! All Edges!"

That said there were plenty of straight sabers, mostly cavalry/officer sabers.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
im fond of the very 40k lightsaber from dark heresy, the aegis-sollex energy blade:

quote:

A product of information obtained from the Aegis Data Fragment and utilising the properties of the Sollex focusing crystals, this is one of the rarest type of weapons in the Imperium—a blade of coherent high-energy plasma which materialises from the armoured hilt as a blazing, roaring column of blue-white fire. Devastatingly powerful, only a few Sollex-Aegis energy blades are held by individuals outside of the Mechanicus, and their secrets are little understood even by their makers in the mysterious Tech-Priest sect of Sollex. Although potent beyond even most power weapons, they can also prove treacherous to the unwary as the energy blade can fluctuate, the laser containment fail or the insubstantial blade slip unexpectedly.

Whenever a wielder successfully Parries another weapon while using an energy blade and succeeds with two or more degrees of success, the wielder automatically destroys the other weapon. While the energy blade does have a degree of density and mass, physical force applied to the swing contributes nothing to the weapon effect and the wielder’s Strength Bonus does not increase its Damage. Should an Attack or Parry attempt with one of these weapons suffer a failure by five or more degrees, resolve the energy blade’s Damage against the wielder. Owing to the harsh actinic light and furnace-blast roar that the blade produces, the wielder cannot attempt to be stealthy while it is switched on. Additionally, the blade consumes canister fuel, just as a plasma pistol does, with each canister worn on the belt and fed via a cable to the hilt (good for 10 rounds of continuous operation).

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I hope nobody's posted this yet, but the Star Wars EU apparently has done sith lord covered in lightsabers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Data Graham posted:

https://youtu.be/NuUGrtmjQfY

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Oh hey, didn't realize Auralnauts was behind that Daft Punk Prologue last week

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Lemon posted:

I think I read something somewhere about him claiming that he had his finger in the chamber or whatever (I don't know guns) or somesuch other situation whereby he was able to confirm it wasn't loaded/couldn't fire in that situation, but IDK

At least around here, part of the official curriculum for firearm safety courses is "examining the bore," that is, visually inspecting the barrel to show that there's isn't anything jammed in there. Any instructor worth a drat will probably tell you that the best way to do this is with a tiny little flashlight instead of your face, but they (IDK, may actually be required to) show you the old-fashioned way which is to place your thumb or finger in the action so it can't close and look down the business end. But as Memento pointed out already, that's clearly not the case there, given the reaction of everyone else in the room.

Ugh, gun dweebs. Here's some content:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

When I was a child, I thought that laser tag was done with safe versions of lightsabers. I remember going on an excursion to laser tag, and on the bus excitedly babbling to my sister about all the cool lightsaber stuff I was going to do, which I was apparently an expert on. Cue embarrassed, frustrated disappointment when it turned out to be laser guns, not laser swords.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Lemon posted:

it's a very basic check of quality on a weapon to open the action and shine a borelight in to check out the barrel, but the only person who would be doing that is a competent buyer or smith, but this fella ain't gonna see much and he's a pretty goofy long hair brit so its safe to assume this might be the first time in his life he's held something like that. (otoh he could be ex-SAS for all i know)

frankly I wouldn't be comfortable handing something like that to him without going through the rules, one of the reasons why you always act like a weapon is loaded -- even if you recall that it isn't -- is so you always have the same instincts should the need arise.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SpacePig posted:

I hope nobody's posted this yet, but the Star Wars EU apparently has done sith lord covered in lightsabers.

That's badass

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Star War is very cool

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Brawnfire posted:

Now I want to see starship battles in melee

Rogue One already covered this

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

SpacePig posted:

Your loss lines are a bit off.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

"Welcome to Piano Jazz. I'm Marian McPartland. This week I'll be reminiscing about the time Miles Davis and Dizzy Gillespie had me in a spit-roast behind the curtain at the Half Note when a young Herb Alpert, stoned out of his gourd on laced Tijuana kush, tripped over the stagehand's rope, exposing us just as Miles and Dizz had formed a full Eiffel Tower. All this and more, when Piano Jazz returns. "

I said listens to, people who PLAY jazz gently caress like it's going out of style

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Eyyy wearing the shirt from this strip right now

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Your loss lines are a bit off.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Magnificent

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Memento posted:

Nah it was just funny and he was being a goof with a weapon that he just saw was clear.

ILL Machina posted:

Polarity fields duh

Wait light is magnetic???

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Thump! posted:

Wait light is magnetic???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation