Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

^burtle posted:

My wife was merciless with the dialogue lines from XBC2. She still asks for local snacks.

What is it with JRPGs with voice lines in battle and everyone constantly screaming over one another / occasionally themselves somehow, anyway? I remember Star Ocean 2 being the first game I noticed it in and I hated it so much that I never finished that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Lol I just killed the red mage on the first move with three godspeed strikes holy drat

Do the secondary hits from Godspeed all tick independently? I always guessed that the balance point was that if you stacked up three of them in a turn that you only got one secondary hit.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

raditts posted:

What is it with JRPGs with voice lines in battle and everyone constantly screaming over one another / occasionally themselves somehow, anyway? I remember Star Ocean 2 being the first game I noticed it in and I hated it so much that I never finished that game.

I had the opposite reaction to SO2 since it was my first rpg with voices

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DeathSandwich posted:

Do the secondary hits from Godspeed all tick independently? I always guessed that the balance point was that if you stacked up three of them in a turn that you only got one secondary hit.

No they all hit

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

No they all hit

Sounds like I need to give Team Godspeed a run and roll with like 3 thiefs or thief subs with a whm/brd and just explode a boss in one round.

Edit: How's Ranger in this? I'm getting ready to head to her obviously telegraphed dungeon and am looking for something to class change my thief primary to now that thf is maxed. RNG/THF sounds like it'll still be pretty rad and able to turbo explode single targets.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Sounds like I need to give Team Godspeed a run and roll with like 3 thiefs or thief subs with a whm/brd and just explode a boss in one round.

Edit: How's Ranger in this? I'm getting ready to head to her obviously telegraphed dungeon and am looking for something to class change my thief primary to now that thf is maxed. RNG/THF sounds like it'll still be pretty rad and able to turbo explode single targets.

I’m currently running one RNG/THF and it absolutely shreds.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Is there anything to increase regular drop rates from monsters? I'm in chapter 3 and went back to the earlier zones to do some grinding and started trying to fill out monster entries, and I noticed in the chapter 2 zone the monster drop rates are absolutely abysmal. Rare Talent x 4 seems to make the rare drops virtually guaranteed, but the "common" drops are now super rare. It almost feels like a bug. Removing rare talent doesn't seem to help. Is that just how it is?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Ranger is pretty good and has a passive ability to dodge physical counters so if nothing else you absolutely wanna level it for that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PageMaster posted:

Spirit master would be so good if it didn't basically cancel out my entire berserker character. What's a good main to sub spirit master onto? Alternatively what's a good main damage dealer to replace berserker? I already have a swordmaster main with vanguard sub so looking to try something different. Maybe a thief?

Edit: nevermind, didn't realize that spirits were also dispelling all positive buffs...

Dragoon dual wielding spears with berserker as a subclass for massive aoe damage to insta-gib trash encounters. Stick on the beast whisperer passive as well to stockpile an army of captures in the process.

DeathSandwich posted:

They all hit one after another. So if you fire 16 Godspeed strikes then at the end of the turn it'll tick 16 times.

At that point, if the enemy isn't dead then you're about to be. :v:

Mylan posted:

Is there anything to increase regular drop rates from monsters? I'm in chapter 3 and went back to the earlier zones to do some grinding and started trying to fill out monster entries, and I noticed in the chapter 2 zone the monster drop rates are absolutely abysmal. Rare Talent x 4 seems to make the rare drops virtually guaranteed, but the "common" drops are now super rare. It almost feels like a bug. Removing rare talent doesn't seem to help. Is that just how it is?

In chapter 3 you can buy steal-boosting accessories and just steal a bunch of common drops if there's something in particular you're looking for that isn't sold in shops.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

raditts posted:

Kinda wish they had an option to turn off voices in battle only, I'm getting kinda tired of hearing the same things over and over, especially that weird "YA-HAR" thing Seth does sometimes. Also my children have started walking about the house randomly saying "WATS NEXT A WUNDAH!"

Seth was enjoying that :420:

It’s worse if you have Elvis as a Red Mage use disaster on a battle speed higher than1

Imagine 4 Primordial Forces consuming you all at the same time

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Man the Marla fight in chapter 4 is loving brutal on hard. Had to rebuild my entire party to prevent getting wiped every time she had 3 bp.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Turns out any time your connection is disconnected while sailing, the game auto-turns off online connectivity, meaning you have to manually enable it again in the settings every time.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

In chapter 3 you can buy steal-boosting accessories and just steal a bunch of common drops if there's something in particular you're looking for that isn't sold in shops.

I should clarify that I'm kind of a broke brain completionist so I was trying to clear away all the ??? from monster entries. Stealing is a non-issue, it's specifically the common drops that seem to be ultra-rare all of a sudden.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you have unspecified rage or whatever it's called, and mug on at the same time, will you just steal from every fuckin mob at the same time?

The Shame Boy posted:

Imagine 4 Primordial Forces consuming you all at the same time

Time mages work the same way

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

If you have unspecified rage or whatever it's called, and mug on at the same time, will you just steal from every fuckin mob at the same time?

you get the chance at mugging each mob yeah. You don't mug enemies 100% of the time though. I've been mugging with indiscriminate rage and magpie while doing jp grinding to get the occasional phys defense booster bun.

Rare stealing off of the optional bosses also is highly profitable for breaking the game if you are able to maneuver around their weight requirements (the Baal optional boss north of wiswald has a 117 atk/110 matk dagger as his rare steal, but it's 30 weight. You can steal and run and still keep the stolen items as well)

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 9, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yep! And if you have Magpie you try to steal the rare item if that procs, and if you have Rob Blind you have a chance to get two, etc. etc.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Ok, not to complain, but I can confirm my drop rate problem seems to be a bug of some kind. Just fought a single troll and it dropped a hi-potion after the battle, no stealing, then checked its monster entry and both drops are still listed as ???. Wish I could give a warning as to what I did to glitch my game but reloading a save didn't fix it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
The pictomancer, Berserker, and Arcanist Level 15 Unlock battle is actually giving me some trouble and might actually require some strategy. Game is super fun still

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
How to get Max BP on everyone on turn 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpHyGYAazU

Spoilers for a ch4 class in the video!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The story in Chapter 2 is extremely hosed up. I was not expecting something so creepy and intense but it worked really well. Story is good so far. Elvis rules.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The story in Chapter 2 is extremely hosed up. I was not expecting something so creepy and intense but it worked really well. Story is good so far. Elvis rules.

ch 3 spoilers you sweet summer child

honestly it's kind of hosed up that in at least two cases we just let a villain's crimes be covered up and their reputation stay clean after we kill them and jack their asterisks

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

berenzen posted:

you get the chance at mugging each mob yeah. You don't mug enemies 100% of the time though.

You do mug 100% with (Ch 4 job spoiler) Phantom's 2nd specialty, or you can get it close enough to 100% with Gambler and Freelancer's Luck buff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Big Red Mage BP battery from BD1 energy here

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Natural 20 posted:

this is the poo poo I play this series for

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mega64 posted:

Turns out any time your connection is disconnected while sailing, the game auto-turns off online connectivity, meaning you have to manually enable it again in the settings every time.

Why would it possibly be implemented like this? :psyduck:

But now I know to check my settings every time I log 12 hours of sailing, at least.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am really liking this game. The reviews put me off initially but it turns out it is another turn based job heavy JRPG and nobody wants to play those anymore

I do think it’s kinda dumb that I can’t abandon side quests. I was accepting a bunch of quests and thinking why can I only see the old ones still

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I do think it’s kinda dumb that I can’t abandon side quests. I was accepting a bunch of quests and thinking why can I only see the old ones still

If you go into the travelogue you can "abandon" the quests you don't want to track anymore and track new quests. It's very, very clunky and limited but it's there.

This is a solid game but desperately needed so many QOL stuff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SKULL.GIF posted:

But now I know to check my settings every time I log 12 hours of sailing, at least.

Probably because of the goofy way the switch handles online connectivity, where certain things function one way when and only when connectivity is on and another way when and only when it's off, and ne'er the twain shall meet.
So it probably has to do that in order for your boat trip to continue running if your internet connection gets cut off. That's my guess anyway, since it hasn't happened to me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like this Beastmaster second specialty was not created with the assumption that people would be giving 3/4 of their party Beast Whisperer. Anyone with Beastmaster maxed is ludicrously overpowered with it (more than double as strong as any other party member who isn't a maxed Beastmaster) and I've steamrolled the last couple bosses I've encountered as a result.

In the (Chapter 2) Archer fight I also noticed that the boss's add was weak to Light, so I looked through my beast collection and found one that casts Banishra. I used Off The Chain with it and it did 8000 damage.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It’s Nintendo online so I’m not really surprised it’s dumb.

That said, I think it’s only disabled when the game gives an error about connectivity being interrupted, so you probably don’t have to check the settings every time you go sailing to make sure you get better loot.

Key word: Probably.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well got my first game over at the Beastmaster.

I thought I was doing pretty well, then she dropped down to low HP and started mass countering every single ability and blind/silencing everyone.

Oh I should probably equip a blind-proof accessory huh I think I got some of those

SKULL.GIF posted:

If you go into the travelogue you can "abandon" the quests you don't want to track anymore and track new quests. It's very, very clunky and limited but it's there.

This is a solid game but desperately needed so many QOL stuff.

Oh my god thank you it was driving me crazy

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 9, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I did the survey Nintendo sent me about this game and complained about how poorly implemented side quests are and also the lack of a map in dungeons and how annoying all the boss counters are. If everybody does the survey maybe they’ll get the message??

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mega64 posted:

It’s Nintendo online so I’m not really surprised it’s dumb.

That said, I think it’s only disabled when the game gives an error about connectivity being interrupted, so you probably don’t have to check the settings every time you go sailing to make sure you get better loot.

Key word: Probably.

It flipped it over to offline for me without telling me once. V annoying.

Then again, online for 12 hours gave me an entire 4 small JP orbs and an evasion bun so y'know, it's not a big deal if it bugs out.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
godspeed strike is too strong. my team setup for it onr-rounded the final boss

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

While dungeons would be better with a map, they've all been so straightforward to get all the treasures and get to the end, none have really been mazelike at all. All reasonably short length

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I disagree, the sewers/Institute maps were confusing as hell and I hated them lol

I’m at the end of ch 2 that was the worst one so far.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I hated the Lost Woods-esque area. All I wanted to do was to take a look at all routes to get the treasure chests, but 70% of the paths put you back near the beginning. That was the only one that frustrated me, and a map wouldn't have helped.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I beefed it and wound up dying on the Shieldy McShielderson fight. One of the adds has an instant death attack that he loving loved, up to and including a 4bp spree of oneshot killing three party members near the beginning of the fight. After that I was just so far behind playing catchup between the other assholes doing their thing, the shield guy throwing out blinds like candy, and just trying to stay upright that I ran out of pheonix downs, RIP.

Time to break out freelancer forage spam for more downs and rejigger my strategy to punkout the death spammer.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Oh no. I ran into the card game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm mid-Chapter 4, but I love the (job combo spoilers) combination of Shieldmaster and Swordmaster I've put together, where Adelle can tank hits for everyone with Defender of the People, gain BP, and then on subsequent turns pops Fluid Stance and then Fluid Left to counterattack and take a BP away from the attacker. I've locked down the two occupying commanders I've fought so far in Halcyonia and Savalon this way