Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I'm a postie but i deliver on a bicycle :(

(i actually did a route on my SV once because i was having a downright bad day and didn't feel like cycling (or being alive) anymore. So i hopped on my SV to finish the route which solved both problems :))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's an ex-auspost 110p (12 volt, no hi-low gearbox), and still got the bag number dymo'ed on the headlight cowl. PO told me he'd bought it at auction some years back, and it looks like he's done "upgrades" and a couple of thousand km then lost interest, hauled it out of the shed years later with plans to get it back on the road, replaced the tires, rode it up and down the street a few times, and lost interest again or maybe got intimidated by the "electrical problems" he thought it had.

It's a lot of very very slow fun.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

LimaBiker posted:

I'm a postie but i deliver on a bicycle :(

(i actually did a route on my SV once because i was having a downright bad day and didn't feel like cycling (or being alive) anymore. So i hopped on my SV to finish the route which solved both problems :))

I feel you there. Wasn't it really awkward delivering post from a heavy bike? Or were you just used to being astride something. Where did you put the mail?

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

still got the bag number dymo'ed on the headlight cowl.

:allears: That's perfect never change it.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got out bid on a 916 today. Thought I had it for a bit. So many emotions. Probably the most alive I’ve felt in the last 12 months. Should I get professional help?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-ducati-916-2/

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dema posted:

Got out bid on a 916 today. Thought I had it for a bit. So many emotions. Probably the most alive I’ve felt in the last 12 months. Should I get professional help?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-ducati-916-2/

Does a 916 count as professional help? If yes, then obviously yes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you aren't a collector or whatever there is no reason whatsoever to buy a 916, let alone a mono. Literally just throwing money in the bin, when you can buy a 996 aka an identical but vastly improved bike, or a 998 which is what the 916 wanted to be to start with.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I absolutely would love to own a 996 and/or an F4 from that era. That 916 is gorgeous, absolutely beautiful.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

It's for sure an emotional thing. First bike I sat on, 20 years ago, was a 916. I've wanted one since.

edit; I'm sure a 996 would also scratch the itch though. One of the reasons I wasn't quite willing to go all out on a low mileage 916 that I'm planning on actually riding.

Keeping my CBR1000RR so I'm not worried about these bikes being super raw and hard to ride more than a few hours.

dema fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 6, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

If you aren't a collector or whatever there is no reason whatsoever to buy a 916, let alone a mono. Literally just throwing money in the bin, when you can buy a 996 aka an identical but vastly improved bike, or a 998 which is what the 916 wanted to be to start with.

What do you think yearly maintenance on that bike would cost? I guess that's probably highly mileage dependent, so say 5,000km / 3,100 miles a year. I know bike guys who've owned Ducatis in the 90s / early 2000s who swear the maintenance was ridiculous, but I had the impression they're a lot better now.

dema posted:

Keeping my CBR1000RR so I'm not worried about these bikes being super raw and hard to ride more than a few hours.

I take it you're a big fan of the CBR1000RR? It's weird, I was aware of those but didn't really know anyone who'd ridden one, then recently met a number of people who absolutely love them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you do everything yourself: they've always been fairly straightforward to fix and relatively cheap to own, lately they've sprouted a bunch of special tool bullshit.

If you pay to get things done: they are brutally expensive, recently they've lengthened the service intervals but it's nothing like Japanese bikes. Ymmv.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Coydog posted:

I feel you there. Wasn't it really awkward delivering post from a heavy bike? Or were you just used to being astride something. Where did you put the mail?

I put my luggage net (usually over my buddy seat) onto the tank and slid the bundle of mail under there, and put a mail bag into my top case. That specific route is quite rural, and needs a lot of dismounting from motorcycle/bicycle so that didn't matter anyway because people here are very bad at putting their mail box where a mailman can reach it from his bicycle.
In the end, it didn't really save time because there were more stretches where i had to walk (i can't take my motorcycle into the very narrow historical streets in that area, bicycle just about fits) but it was nice powering home in 5 minutes where i normally have to cycle for 20 against the wind.

It's undoable on the city routes i do. Too tight corners, too many addresses (so too much mail to take with me, doesn't fit the top case). And i would undoubtedly get a complaint from some Karen who doesn't like the mailman riding a sports bike on the pavement lol.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
Got this delivered this morning. Was split between this and a full blown Street Triple RS. Just did 50 miles local riding and I’m pretty happy right now. Happy but cold. At least the sun was out to give the illusion of warmth.

Oibignose fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 6, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
YOU SHAN'T FORGET
Respect the Queen
Always Wear a Safety Bonnet
Think of England

(OEM new bike sticker found on Triumphs)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Oibignose posted:

Got this delivered this morning. Was split between this and a full blown Street Triple RS.

Oh, that, looks like a fun little bike. I missed the news on those getting introduced. My 675 Street Triple R was great. Love the distinctive intake sound.

MomJeans420 posted:

I take it you're a big fan of the CBR1000RR? It's weird, I was aware of those but didn't really know anyone who'd ridden one, then recently met a number of people who absolutely love them.

Yeah, I've had a 2015 from new. Fun bike. Been super reliable. Have Helibars on it, so the clip ons are a bit relaxed, and can ride it all day.

Have posted loads of photos of it in this thread.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Oibignose posted:

Got this delivered this morning. Was split between this and a full blown Street Triple RS. Just did 50 miles local riding and I’m pretty happy right now. Happy but cold. At least the sun was out to give the illusion of warmth.

The Trident is an excellent bike, nice one!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'd love to hear how the Trident compares to the MT-07/SV-650/CB650R

FBS fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 7, 2021

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Unfortunately my Scout was totaled this week by an incompetent tow truck driver. Picked this thing up today for a song to fill the motorcycle sized hole in my heart. 2017 sr400 with a whopping 43 miles on the clock. Been a while since I’ve kick started a bike but god drat if this thing ain’t fun as hell

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

that big plastic top box on that bike is definitely some kind of Hipster Crime

(j/k congrats on the new wheels)

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
I was considering removing it but it could make for a wonderful portable beer cooler

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

crazyivan45 posted:

Unfortunately my Scout was totaled this week by an incompetent tow truck driver. Picked this thing up today for a song to fill the motorcycle sized hole in my heart. 2017 sr400 with a whopping 43 miles on the clock. Been a while since I’ve kick started a bike but god drat if this thing ain’t fun as hell

Noooo!!! but also yay, new bike day!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Gratz on the new bike! I love those sr400. Kick only is kinda weird, but totally charming. The top box thing looks off, but trust me you'll forget it's there when you get riding. It's really handy for beer runs.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

FBS posted:

I'd love to hear how the Trident compares to the MT-07/SV-650/CB650R

I’ve only ridden the first gen MT07 to compare. I think the Trident has a far better suspension than the MT which I found soft. I can’t compare the engines properly as I’m still running the Trident in but under 5000rpm they feel fairly similar. I’d say the MT07 engine is an absolute peach and the gold standard in this class and hopefully this won’t be far off that level.

I went for this as my daily rider as I think it is better looking and the dealer is literally a short walk from my house so I feel like I’m supporting a local business. I did not consider the cb650r, even though it is a beautiful bike because my last 3 bikes have been inline 4 Hondas and you can have too much of a good thing.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Oibignose posted:

Would love to hear your thoughts as you ride more. I was *this* close to getting one, put a deposit down, but I couldn't justify spending that much at this point so I went with something cheaper.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Not my bike. But the RS660 is pretty sweet:

The colorway is absolutely striking. And it sounds good.

Just sitting on it, it feels a bit more compact than my CBR1000RR. Bars were a little lower than I expected from the reviews. Felt similar to my CBR w/ Helibars.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that looks way better than that awful gold one or w/e

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I thought so too from the online pictures but even the acid gold looks really good in person, they're really nice looking bikes

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The only one I’ve seen live is the gold. I wouldn’t buy one over that gorgeous purple but I appreciate what they’re doing.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
What's it like trying to keep matte and satin finishes shiny like that?

Clear coat just gets polish and wax.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Rebel 1100. Bought it last week. Upgraded from the Rebel 500. It owns.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Greg12 posted:

What's it like trying to keep matte and satin finishes shiny like that?

Clear coat just gets polish and wax.

On a japanese bike? Just a clean and wipe.

On an Italian bike? Repainting is part of the service schedule.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Is it actually physically larger? I've never seen an 1100 in person.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m gonna say it: RS660 best paint in the game

I’ve never seen one irl but just the pictures make the paint look fantastic

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Is it actually physically larger? I've never seen an 1100 in person.

Nah.

It is, however, thiccer. Which I like.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far. It's like they took the 500 and upgraded every single component. Except the mirrors, and the big goofy exhaust. However, I'm looking at the Vance & Hines slip-on for it after I sell the 500:
https://vanceandhines.com/products/upsweep-slip-on-1?rq=yr_2021~mk_honda~nt_cruiser~md_rebel-1100~zj_exhaust

I'd like to find some more oblong mirrors for it. If y'all have any mirrors you like, feel free to let me know.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I like that a lot more.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

The Sex Cannon posted:

Nah.

It is, however, thiccer. Which I like.
I'd not noticed just how fat that front tire is before now. The 500 looks like a relatively normal cruiser front:back thickness ratio, but the 1100 almost looks like they put the same tire on both wheels.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

BabelFish posted:

I'd not noticed just how fat that front tire is before now. The 500 looks like a relatively normal cruiser front:back thickness ratio, but the 1100 almost looks like they put the same tire on both wheels.

The rear tire is a lot thicker. 180/65-16 in the rear, and 130/70-18 in the front.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I think he mixed up the bikes. I initially thought the 500 was the 1100 until I noticed the decal. The cylinder head is huge on the 500 in comparison so I just assumed it was the 1100.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I think he mixed up the bikes. I initially thought the 500 was the 1100 until I noticed the decal. The cylinder head is huge on the 500 in comparison so I just assumed it was the 1100.

Same. The perspective got me!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Further muddying the waters is the fact that the 500 sometimes comes with the fat front wheel, the most recent one I worked on was like this and the front and rear tyres were the same size.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'm so excited to hear more about this going forward. It's a weird cruiser with the engine but is probably a riot to ride. A good looking and well packaged bike.

:lol: That looks so good. Upswept like that is in keeping with the unique nature of the bike. I also like how it opens up the view of the rear tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'm glad that the Japanese companies are going back to making their own kind of cruiser. I like the Harley clones, but I miss the unique designs from the 70s and '80s.

Speaking of, God I wish Honda would bring back the magna.