Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Please purchase shares of my regularly-"audited" cryptocurrency index fund. I assure you that the transaction fees are very reasonable

e: also consider purchasing crypto shorts, but the transaction fees are a complete ripoff

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Agree, and I'm personally not that brave at all, all my investments are target date funds and s&p. But I'm not invested (lol) in hating Bitcoin, so I have a grudging respect for the people who made bank off of it. Also, in my extremely limited investing knowledge I can already see that trying to rationally explain and predict the market is an incredibly irrational exercise in futility. I think the Bitcoin ship has long sailed, unless it crashes hard again. If I was to get brave I'd start investing in individual stocks, those often have pretty meteoric rises even if it's nothing comparable to Bitcoin.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

feelix posted:

No I personally don't but I also wouldn't keep mock posting about a thing that turned out to be an incredible investment. It's like if everyone who ever died on Everest got resurrected with superpowers but the Everest thread kept making fun of them

No, its like making fun of people who buy GameStop at $200 a share.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
People used to make fun of the nerds who collected Pokémon cards and called it an investment. What now, jocks? What now?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Paladinus posted:

People used to make fun of the nerds who collected Pokémon cards and called it an investment. What now, jocks? What now?

You pick on me now but I'll be your boss some day

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I spent about $600 dollars on mining equipment a few years ago (burstcoin) and made absolutely nothing on it

Jokes on them though because I made a kicking rad NAS out of the harddrives I used for it that I use to serve my TV and movies.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
If people who died on Everest were resurrected with superpowers, but it was only a tiny sliver of people who fell off and hit the same exact 4 cliffs on their way down, I wouldn't exactly be lining up to climb Everest in the pursuit of superpowers

Even among the tiny group known as "coiners", it was not "an incredible investment" for most. If you were a coiner in 2013-2014, you probably got robbed! If you were a coiner in Canada in 2018, you probably got robbed! If you went to the first bitcoin conference, you probably got robbed! I could do this all day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

rear end cobra posted:

NFTs are interesting in the digital design/art space since they’re a potential avenue for earning money instead of instagram likes for non-commercial work, but the earnings distribution graph for this thing will probably be worse than that onlyfans L. Beeple getting a payday is cool no matter what though.

They aren't really anything special. Think collectors' plates. You're paying for, at best, what is effectively a certificiate of authenticity.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Current NFTs are severely flawed because the ownership chain is separated from the actual art asset. If the hosting goes down you effectively have a certificate of ownership for an art asset that you don't actually have. It's just a link to nowhere.

Future versions might weave the ownership and art into the same entry.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Current NFTs are severely flawed because the ownership chain is separated from the actual art asset. If the hosting goes down you effectively have a certificate of ownership for an art asset that you don't actually have. It's just a link to nowhere.

And still provide nothing of value at enormous waste of resources.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Putting a file into a database? That's some amazing future tech, can't wait!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Again, to the folks crowing in divabot's redtext about how Bitcoin is now wildly overvalued like that's a good thing: wasn't this meant to be a currency?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Bitcoin is poggers.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

feelix posted:

No I personally don't but I also wouldn't keep mock posting about a thing that turned out to be an incredible investment. It's like if everyone who ever died on Everest got resurrected with superpowers but the Everest thread kept making fun of them

If the everest climbers burned through as much power as crypto mining I'd still mock them for the same reason no matter what kind of super powers they got.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Somfin posted:

Again, to the folks crowing in divabot's redtext about how Bitcoin is now wildly overvalued like that's a good thing: wasn't this meant to be a currency?

Pretty sure that's just something Seraph bought right before it was made clear* to him that he wasn't actually welcome here.

* I'm assuming this, because he hasn't turned up in the Leper's Colony since HGB started deleting his posts.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's not an investment, it's a gamble. It might seem like an investment but the only investing is in the possibility of the price going up. Commonly called gambling.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

salt shakeup posted:

Bitcoin is poggers.

Oops read the thread. Apparently bitcoin is not poggers. Even worse, it's like Mt Everest.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Liquid Communism posted:

And still provide nothing of value at enormous waste of resources.
Well yeah, that too. Most NFT trades ultimately link back to Ethereum and that is going to be a problem for both environmental and practical reasons.

Sports and concert ticket sellers are researching NFTs because they can collect fees from each resale or ban resale completely if they choose. Relatively, there's just a handful of weirdos buying NFT stuff right now. Stadiums and concert venues sell billions of tickets a year in non-covid times and some early adopters have already started minting NFT tickets.

In theory all this stuff could be done through a harmless non-mined token but we live in the stupidest possible future so probably 4% of global electrical output will be used for event tickets.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

feelix posted:

Agree, and I'm personally not that brave at all, all my investments are target date funds and s&p. But I'm not invested (lol) in hating Bitcoin, so I have a grudging respect for the people who made bank off of it. Also, in my extremely limited investing knowledge I can already see that trying to rationally explain and predict the market is an incredibly irrational exercise in futility. I think the Bitcoin ship has long sailed, unless it crashes hard again. If I was to get brave I'd start investing in individual stocks, those often have pretty meteoric rises even if it's nothing comparable to Bitcoin.

Do you grudgingly respect lottery winners too?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
i have so much more respect, like orders of magnitude, for anyone who says "yeah I bought an NFT cause I just wanna gamble" than I do someone who tries to rationally justify why it's a good investment and has value

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

rear end cobra posted:

NFTs are interesting in the digital design/art space since they’re a potential avenue for earning money instead of instagram likes for non-commercial work, but the earnings distribution graph for this thing will probably be worse than that onlyfans L. Beeple getting a payday is cool no matter what though.

im about to blow your loving mind

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

feelix posted:

My posts are backed by the postchain and you CANNOT deprive them, and I will NOT create Joinder;.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Think I'm gonna start gambling on BTC. I'll wait for the price to drop to like...ten cents or something.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Nessus posted:

My posts are backed by the postchain and you CANNOT deprive them, and I will NOT create Joinder;.

I'm selling my quote of this post for 5 million NFTs

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Is the NFT gold fringed?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

divabot posted:

so it's quite important to note that this is false.

it's a marketing deception.

USDC and PAX both try extremely hard to give the impression they're audited, by talking about how they got "auditors" in. They got accountants who could do audits - but don't in this case.

The accountants don't do an audit - where they look at the money, look into where it came from, verify that it is actually theirs and wasn't swapped into the account a few hours before. They do an attestation.

What's an attestation, you ask? Well, that's where your accountant looks at the paperwork you provide them, and says "yup looks good".

What's the difference? Well, Tether can't get an audit for the life of it. But they did an "attestation" where they put money into their supposed backing account a few hours before the accountants looked:

Nobody knows what USDC and PAX are backed with, or the provenance of the supposed backing. But both use the word "auditors" a lot, because they're liars, because they're crypto companies.

The only reason to assume they're better than Tether is because Tether is that loving bad and sloppy. It's a low enough bar to feature on the front cover of Earthworm Track & Field.

edit: in which Paxos directly lies that they are the same thing:

If they really claim not to know the difference and why it's important, then they're not competent enough to be touching money. Again, normal for crypto.

So what you’re saying is really nonsense. It can’t be that stupid; you must be explaining it wrong!
🤤

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Waltzing Along posted:

This plus now tether has the BTC. It's like going to an amusement park and buying Disney Bucks or whatever is sold there. Now you have the exact same value that can only be used in one place.

I still have a Crown Royal bag full of shiny Chuck-E-Cheese tokens and polyhedral dice for GM’ing a Gamma World campaign from the last two years in high school (47 now). I used about 50 of them when my (ex)wife and I took my six year old’s friends to his birthday party in a completely different city (he’s 21)! I probably have more (legal) use from them than the entire BTC economy because you can’t play Donkey Kong or Skee-ball with Butts.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

feelix posted:

investment

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hbag posted:

im about to blow your loving mind

LOL! I have that button on like five keyboards (Bluetooth, wireless, usb, two ps/2). Maybe I could get famous on YouTube for “DerekSmartymans reacts to earning billions of dollars forging NFTs.”

The One Weird Trick dealers of stolen art sellers HATE!!!

Edit: Sorry I ended posting more than a couple in a row. I comment or quote as I read the thread and had 113 new posts to read and respond.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 9, 2021

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Liquid Communism posted:

They aren't really anything special. Think collectors' plates. You're paying for, at best, what is effectively a certificiate of authenticity.

And a certificate of authenticity from the right person can't be valuable?

People are getting paid and it's interesting to see what's happening, but like I said it will probably end up like an OF situation where the big names who already made all the money continue to make all the money

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Ad by Khad posted:

Neither of those companies will allow you to send money to internationally-sanctioned oligarchs and terrorists (nor should they)

lol yes they will, you just don't have enough to make it worth it to them

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Ad by Khad posted:

If people who died on Everest were resurrected with superpowers, but it was only a tiny sliver of people who fell off and hit the same exact 4 cliffs on their way down, I wouldn't exactly be lining up to climb Everest in the pursuit of superpowers.

you may not, but shitloads of people would be, and the few who came back as superheros would be insufferable about it

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

So you can download the blockchain and get tons of free stuff? Sounds good.

Well yeah, that too. Most NFT trades ultimately link back to Ethereum and that is going to be a problem for both environmental and practical reasons.

Sports and concert ticket sellers are researching NFTs because they can collect fees from each resale or ban resale completely if they choose. Relatively, there's just a handful of weirdos buying NFT stuff right now. Stadiums and concert venues sell billions of tickets a year in non-covid times and some early adopters have already started minting NFT tickets.

In theory all this stuff could be done through a harmless non-mined token but we live in the stupidest possible future so probably 4% of global electrical output will be used for event tickets.

How do NFTs prevent reselling at all? You don't need to resell on the Blockchain. And if you don't want your tickets to be resalable, check IDs. You need to do that either way, with or without NFTs to prevent reselling.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

DerekSmartymans posted:

So what you’re saying is really nonsense. It can’t be that stupid; you must be explaining it wrong!
🤤

:bitcoin:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
should have bought the dip!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bright Bart posted:

should have bought the dip!

Yeah, tortilla chips really aren't that great without some dip. Regretted not buying any.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my only experience with nachos with dip is the time i went to TGI fridays and ordered some nachos with cheese
there was not cheese

instead of nacho cheese they loving
they loving buttered the nachos

dont even get me started on the loving terrible excuse of a "burger" they served me

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Food in the UK is terrible with some minor exceptions for locally-sourced seafood and wild game.

My experience with the restaurant in question is positive. I went once after Norwegian family friends insisted that this one near a train station had delicious ribs. And they did!

No idea if they accepted Bitcoin at the time.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Well well, looks like Germany's coming covid immunization card will use a blockchain to store your records. This is huge for bitcoins. You should all get in asap and get that no-coiner stink off of you

e: I'm trying to figure out what the exchange rate to bird or doge coins will be but no luck yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Bright Bart posted:

Food in the UK is terrible with some minor exceptions for locally-sourced seafood and wild game.

wrong again bitch
chippy down the road from my house used to be the best poo poo ever until some rugby dickheads bought it and now its all microwaved poo poo
nandos is great too (although i guess thats actually african food)