Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I too love the lady who doesn't push back at Sam's lib takes.

https://twitter.com/jamie_elizabeth/status/1293695329183776768?s=19
https://twitter.com/jamie_elizabeth/status/1293751329861533697?s=19

https://theintercept.com/2021/01/18/alex-morse-umass-amherst-report/

quote:

A recently released report by the University of Massachusetts at Amherst has added new evidence of the state Democratic Party’s involvement in the public attack on Alex Morse just ahead of his primary against Rep. Richard Neal. It also found that Morse, formerly an adjunct professor at the school, did not violate university policies, yet the report still delved deeply into Morse’s private dating life with other adults.

In early August, just a few weeks prior to the election against Neal, chair of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, a number of college students made vague accusations of impropriety against Morse, the youngest and first openly gay mayor of Holyoke.

The involvement of state party officials, who coordinated with the Massachusetts College Democrats to accuse Morse of sexual impropriety, was first revealed by The Intercept and later confirmed by an internal review by the Massachusetts Democratic Party. The new report, however, includes emails and text messages indicating that party attorney Jim Roosevelt took a more active role in the dissemination of the smear than previously known. It also reveals that party leaders were more involved in walking students through media and legal strategies than they had previously admitted. In an interview with The Intercept, Roosevelt denied the allegations; Mass Dems Executive Director Veronica Martinez implied in an email that the new report exonerated party leadership.

The UMass report, issued on January 13 by the law firm Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr LLP, found not only no evidence of wrongdoing by Morse, but also that he was not accused of anything that would have violated the school policy.

Love to fall for a literal ratfucking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
falling for that completely bad faith smear, lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

falling for that completely bad faith smear, lmao
i would presume that very few fell for it except the group of people who wanted to fall for it looking for some justification to support the centrist pod-save lib that they were generally already going to do -- with the added bonus of being able to feel smug superiority of pointing out the interloper getting those dopamine receptors firing off having tut-tutted 'something something sexpest #cancelled'

it's like the laffer curve of smear cancellation takes. Reagan and GOP didn't need the laffer curve in order for them to cut rich people and corporate taxes by 99%, they would have done it with or without, it was just a convenient post-hoc justification to justify their position.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
it owns that that article is pretty much just about Jimmy Dore and Red Scare, the alt-left is huge and quite menacing it seems

Didn't know Norm Finkelstein went to bat for David Irving though, had to double check that obviously. It's a shame as I did enjoy his interview on trueanon and came away from it pretty much 100% on his side. I don't think he's a holocaust denier of course but obviously his work has given him his own flavor of brain worms. I do not think we have anything meaningful to learn from David Irving lol, except maybe as an example of how not to advocate anti-zionism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Deified Data posted:

Didn't know Norm Finkelstein went to bat for David Irving though, had to double check that obviously. It's a shame as I did enjoy his interview on trueanon and came away from it pretty much 100% on his side.

If I were going to level a criticism of Finkelstein it'd be that he apparently doesn't support BDS, but then also The Daily Beast wouldn't ever bring that up because lol at those people thinking that BDS is a good thing deserving support in the first place.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

That particular federal agent has written that exact article about 20 times now. Anarchists and self-described Antifa™️ people seem to fall for this redbrownanon horseshit the easiest, why is that?

aside from some confused tumblr teens the only people ive seen really talk about this poo poo are the dude that wrote that article, gwen snyder, antifash gordon and peter soeller. who are all definitely feds

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Deified Data posted:

it owns that that article is pretty much just about Jimmy Dore and Red Scare, the alt-left is huge and quite menacing it seems

Didn't know Norm Finkelstein went to bat for David Irving though, had to double check that obviously. It's a shame as I did enjoy his interview on trueanon and came away from it pretty much 100% on his side. I don't think he's a holocaust denier of course but obviously his work has given him his own flavor of brain worms. I do not think we have anything meaningful to learn from David Irving lol, except maybe as an example of how not to advocate anti-zionism

I mean Finklestein's family was murdered in the Holocaust. Even implying that he's a holocaust denier, as that stupid article that's designed to court controversy for attention like 99% of the dumb poo poo online, is loving awful.

Standing up for Irving is whatever. There was a court case where he got put in his place, I don't see any need to continue talking to or about the guy but everyone wants to be born anew every day and rehash old arguments I guess.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

gh0stpinballa posted:

That particular federal agent has written that exact article about 20 times now. Anarchists and self-described Antifa™️ people seem to fall for this redbrownanon horseshit the easiest, why is that?

who knows, it must be the way everyone's brain is wired on line or some poo poo. everyone does it. attention, negative or otherwise gets you clicks, which gets you more attention, which gives you a platform, which gives you money depending on how you spin on it. say some dumb poo poo, get 'cancelled,' get some media attention, spin it into a patreon with some shadowy $1k/month donors and you're off to the races.

or if you're a journalist it launches your career, and maybe some SV media-focused company will choose you to headline the next substack. or if you're a major company like disney you use it to fuel engagement on your latest media product. everyone's in on it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Farm Frenzy posted:

aside from some confused tumblr teens the only people ive seen really talk about this poo poo are the dude that wrote that article, gwen snyder, antifash gordon and peter soeller. who are all definitely feds
on this particular anti-chapo crusade of sewage: yea it's very small handful they just rotate through. There's a larger tangentially relatively related group of late 00s/10s OWS "leaders" (i.e. Molly Crapapple) and interlayered vice/vox/medium/motherjones/buzzfeed/twitter bluecheck/tumblr superstars in-and-out of various think-tanks that all write or constantly boost Very Serious Journalism About The Dangers of Podcast Left in an satanic-panic equivalency and mostly exist solely to tut-tut and show how extremely woke they are. ozma would made them mods 100%

i don't like to call everything feds (beside bellingcat which is 100% the feds) because it mislays the blame of people being loving stupid as just being intentionally corrupted and not just people being willfully evil and stupid of their own volition.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1369064234907275269
:hmmyes:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I do not know how they could have made this sound less interesting

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
matt bruenig rules so i'll listen anyway

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Mar 9, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

on this particular anti-chapo crusade of sewage: yea it's very small handful they just rotate through. There's a larger tangentially relatively related group of late 00s/10s OWS "leaders" (i.e. Molly Crapapple) and interlayered vice/vox/medium/motherjones/buzzfeed/twitter bluecheck/tumblr superstars in-and-out of various think-tanks that all write or constantly boost Very Serious Journalism About The Dangers of Podcast Left in an satanic-panic equivalency and mostly exist solely to tut-tut and show how extremely woke they are. ozma would made them mods 100%

i don't like to call everything feds (beside bellingcat which is 100% the feds) because it mislays the blame of people being loving stupid as just being intentionally corrupted and not just people being willfully evil and stupid of their own volition.

yea im exaggerating a bit and theyre probably mostly morons but i think at least one of the big antifa news aggregator twitters has to be a fed. itd just be a really useful cover for playing both sides

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Finicums Wake posted:

matt bruenig rules so i'll listen anyway

I've gotten very into the Bruenigs podcast lately. It's a good listen

Also very much enjoying the trashfuture Britainology spinoff, the Falklands one is incredible fun

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Protagorean posted:

idk bro what was your theory again?

is this true?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Protagorean posted:

idk bro what was your theory again?

lol cool he just doesn't miss

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

some plague rats posted:

I do not know how they could have made this sound less interesting

It's very wonk-oriented and Oren Cass is like the most boring of the Trump-era right-wingers

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/09/conservative-case-for-organized-labor.html

quote:

A former adviser to Mitt Romney’s 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns, Cass and his newly founded think tank American Compass have spent the Trump era trying to develop an agenda for a genuinely pro-worker conservative party. At the heart of Cass’s vision is a call for providing collective-bargaining rights to virtually all U.S. workers. On Labor Day, American Compass released a more modest proposal: a resolution calling on conservatives to adopt the general goal of reforming and reinvigorating “the laws that govern organizing and collective bargaining” because “strong worker representation can make America stronger.” Florida senator Marco Rubio and an array of conservative thinkers have signed on to this statement.

Intelligencer recently spoke with Cass about his vision for a pro-worker conservatism and why he believes that, in the not-too-distant future, the Republican Party could embrace a labor agenda too radical for many present-day Democrats.

Basically if you strip away Josh Hawley's nativism and culture war rabble-rousing and toss in a lot of dry policy stuff what you get is very mealy-mouthed reformism that's still more right than the most succ lib Democrat. The above interview is kinda interesting though, Cass is calling for works councils and sectoral framework agreements that individual firms can opt out of.

quote:

So a quintessential example is very strict hours-related rules. In the U.S., we mandate time and a half for overtime. And yet, at the same time, firms are allowed to have all of these terrible scheduling practices — on-call scheduling, constant changes in scheduling, and so forth. It seems to me that workers and management would often want to agree that, for instance, overtime would not necessarily be paid at time and a half, especially if you have people who want more hours. But, in exchange for forfeiting that benefit from the framework agreement, the workers are going to get much more consistency and certainty about the scheduling of hours.

I think that kind of flexibility — and collaborative labor-management relationship — at the firm level is something both sides prefer. If you look at surveys of American workers — the seminal study of this is the one that Richard Freeman did in the ’90s called “What Workers Want” — by a huge majority, they say they would prefer a collaborative relationship with management to an adversarial one, even if that means having less power.

It's funny that this sounds unintentionally like class collaborationism but in practice a less adversarial relationship between management and workers can also be (modern) Germany, where the unions are strong and get a seat at the table. Well in practice in the U.S. it'd just be a way to defang unions probably, but it works in some other countries.

The interviewer in the article, Eric Levitz, is also really solid. He's been covering the "national conservatism" pseudo-intellectual strain of Trumpism for a while now

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/07/josh-hawley-national-conservatism-social-cohesion.html
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/07/what-the-hell-is-national-conservativism-anyway.html

quote:

The main exception to the prevailing vagueness was on the subject of “industrial policy,” or the idea that the U.S. government should take steps to promote (and in some cases subsidize) American firms in strategic industries. The most prominent name calling for an industrial policy was Oren Cass, Mitt Romney’s former policy adviser, who managed to convince a room full of Republicans that the government should, in fact, be taking steps to boost American industry. Yet Cass’s version of industrial policy is fairly tame, and not overly offensive to traditional GOP sensibilities — his big ideas are wage subsidies and a repeal of 1970s-era environmental regulations. The Apollo program, it is not.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Farm Frenzy posted:

yea im exaggerating a bit and theyre probably mostly morons but i think at least one of the big antifa news aggregator twitters has to be a fed. itd just be a really useful cover for playing both sides

Found them

https://twitter.com/donaldp1917/status/1366525165941702661?s=19

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

some plague rats posted:

I've gotten very into the Bruenigs podcast lately. It's a good listen

Also very much enjoying the trashfuture Britainology spinoff, the Falklands one is incredible fun
I gotta give the bruenigs one a shot still, but yeah the britainology spinoff has been enjoyable. I've only recently started listening to Trash Future so I have a pretty big backlog there

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

*chk chk* got his rear end

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cathing up on War Nerd recently. I almost feel like the NATO ghouls have people like Brown Moses, Alexander Reid Ross, and Adrian Zensz on the payroll to distract from the assets that are less conspicuous.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Probably not too different than GBS or FYAD or wherever, but C-Spam has a national reputation, and people who choose to post here often choose to based off of the national reputation (and also make up a pretty big portion of the population in the core parts of the forum), and when they get here they start to wear that reputation as part of their identity. Once "very lefty" is part of your identity because you post somewhere, you need to start to bend whatever that vague term means so that you continue to satisfy the definition.

ben shapino has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Mar 9, 2021

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
if i wanted to read dross i'd look at his posts!!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
that article is causing lots of drama on twitter where some are holding it over mutuals heads for listening to this and that pod, theres probably some marx quote about how drama is praxis but :bisonyes:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Honest Thief posted:

that article is causing lots of drama on twitter where some are holding it over mutuals heads for listening to this and that pod, theres probably some marx quote about how drama is praxis but :bisonyes:

im glad there is so much accountability occurring

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
a normal non-online person when I mention “praxis”: :goofy:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i see no confusion, you can even buy it https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/p/deus-ex-mankind-divided-praxis-kit-pack-x5/bv25tj8pnlj7

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The most I've seen were people decrying the Snyder crew, but going "Not as big of a problem, but you do defend some weird assholes" at the D. Left crowd but that's about it.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/1368997905869266945?s=21

https://twitter.com/lucassantobouge/status/1369129288306331649?s=21

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

a normal non-online person when I mention “praxis”: :goofy:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
“the guys that made sim city??”

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

:munch:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is a joke, right

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

these people sound like dummies'

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ngl i find the attitude that one should not only shield others from potentially problematic opinions but that one has a moral obligation to shield oneself from such opinions a bit creepy

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i am confident that i can listen tothe Funny Men without fully adopting their political views

THS
Sep 15, 2017

V. Illych L. posted:

this is a joke, right

say Joe Keskold out loud

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

this is a joke, right
thats his name alright

Atrocious Joe posted:

these people sound like dummies'

yeah but contempt makes for strange bedfellows

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

professor @geogpdx | fellow @c4arr, @praeyesright, @ncri_io | occasional bylines @thedailybeast @haaretz |"anarcho-MSNBCer" | "antifa ideologue" | he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

thats his name alright

It's a pun on "joke scold," the account is a joke