Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

I install Void on an old thinkpad and have been playing around with it for the last week, it's really cool. I like that you can just completely throw out all GNU software. I would 100% recommend it over Arch because it's a lot speedier to boot (uses runit instead of systemd) and hasn't broken on me quite yet, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it's probably more stable.

Passive ram usage is like 100MB with my current config, which is way better than what I ever got with Arch.

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

that is the "standard" layout for linux full disk encryption

i used btrfs instead of ext4 or xfs for /boot and / because i want every-boot atomic snapshots (done in the initrd, not when anything is actually running) of all subvolumes, to do incremental btrfs send/receive for backups

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I wouldn't trust btrfs with encryption, either.

I mean, you could certainly encrypt two separate partitions and completely do away with lvm but I don't see the point.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
the only data loss i have encountered with btrfs (which seemed to be because of a filesystem issue/bug) was indeed inside a luks container, under kernel 3.2, which means ubuntu 12.04, so 8 or 9 years ago, btrfs has otherwise been extremely stable for me

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Insanite posted:

silverblue is neat. I’ve been trialing it in a VM over the last couple of months, and I think I might give it a shot for real, soon.

Linuxes are fun and good aside from the bad ones, which are most of them.

Do you use toolboxes for the apps that don't have flatpaks and install them in toolbox containers or use rpm-ostree?

I'm surprised they haven't built in an automated method to create toolbox environments, install the app via rpm within the toolbox, and then create the .desktop file so it shows in the users app list. Right now it's a manual process for each app you want to do this way if it's not available via flatpak.

You also have to go into each toolbox you create and manually run rpm if you want to update the app in each. Not the best experience for the end user.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do you use toolboxes for the apps that don't have flatpaks and install them in toolbox containers or use rpm-ostree?

I'm surprised they haven't built in an automated method to create toolbox environments, install the app via rpm within the toolbox, and then create the .desktop file so it shows in the users app list. Right now it's a manual process for each app you want to do this way if it's not available via flatpak.

You also have to go into each toolbox you create and manually run rpm if you want to update the app in each. Not the best experience for the end user.

yeah, it’s the former so far. it’s not ideal, but I’d imagine that better experiences are in the pipeline. they seem to be moving pretty fast with it.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Nitrousoxide posted:

My main complaints with Fedora 33 were:

1: Limited software availability (at least compared to Arch and Arch derivatives), even with the non-free repo enabled and flathub.
2: Gnome software manager sucks rear end in Fedora and uses a different package manager than the terminal one (DNF). The DNF gui just crashed all the time and was basically unusable.
3: As stated before, the inability copy and paste between windows thanks to the new window manager for Gnome in Fedora, Wayland.
4: Pretty pointless use of BTRFS in Fedora 33 since it doesn't support any of the actual useful snapshotting abilities of it or checksumming and just exposes you to all the broken stuff about it.

Where is this stuff about not being able to copy and paste in Wayland coming from? Just hit control c and control v dude.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Jesus loving Christ what the gently caress is all of this. what the gently caress are you fuckers even doing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Where is this stuff about not being able to copy and paste in Wayland coming from? Just hit control c and control v dude.

They're confusing the highlight text / middle-click to insert thing (what X11 calls PRIMARY) with copy and paste (what X11 calls CLIPBOARD). There's an option in TweakUI to turn it back on.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I mentioned it a lot earlier in this thread but I had issues in Fedora where every other kernel update would mess with the display driver so actually I would advocate for Ubuntu as a decent alternative to Fedora

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sb hermit posted:

I mentioned it a lot earlier in this thread but I had issues in Fedora where every other kernel update would mess with the display driver so actually I would advocate for Ubuntu as a decent alternative to Fedora

i have heard that ubuntu sucks eggs though

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Jesus loving Christ what the gently caress is all of this. what the gently caress are you fuckers even doing

welcome to the future of computing where nobody codes new software, they just code new ways to deal with dependency management

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hbag posted:

There are a lot of ubuntu users. So there are a lot of people sucking eggs. You can join the crowd if you just want stuff to work now, then maybe try to tweak it into something that suits you better. At least the hardware is likely to work.

You can try kubuntu, also. Some people in this thread would recommend it.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

hbag posted:

its ok. no real reason to use it over debian though

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mycophobia posted:

its ok. no real reason to use it over debian though

debian doesnt like my laptop for some reason
installed it and then it just kinda hangs on a black screen with a flashing cursor as if it's waiting to do something but then never does (pre-fedora)
although maybe that mightve just been my SSD? idk

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
remembered unity and the Ubuntu phone and started loling

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

hbag posted:

did u hear this from ur dad? quick q... does your dad have strong opinions about the importance of dress shoes and the unconstitutionality of child protection laws

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

hbag posted:

installed it and then it just kinda hangs on a black screen with a flashing cursor as if it's waiting to do something but then never does (pre-fedora)
although maybe that mightve just been my SSD? idk

could be. i'd try it again just in case when your shits unfucked

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

PCjr sidecar posted:

did u hear this from ur dad? quick q... does your dad have strong opinions about the importance of dress shoes and the unconstitutionality of child protection laws

no i heard it on #yospos which i soon left after someone tried to convince me that andy ngo is a good guy
and my dad is cool as gently caress and runs his own small company fixing other people's terrible code

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

hbag posted:

so does distro hopping. stop with the foreplay and just install arch already.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Dont Touch ME posted:

so does distro hopping. stop with the foreplay and just install arch already.

i dont quite hate myself that much yet

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If you really wanna give your new nvme a workout, once it's replaced, you should try gentoo.

this is a serious post

but whether or not you want to stick with gentoo after everything is installed is up to you

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

pseudorandom name posted:

They're confusing the highlight text / middle-click to insert thing (what X11 calls PRIMARY) with copy and paste (what X11 calls CLIPBOARD). There's an option in TweakUI to turn it back on.

I am among the neckbeardiest of Linux touchers, but I still think the highlight/middle-click UI concept is very lame and dumb. Keyboard shortcuts are much better for this. Who came up with it in the first place? And who came up with the completely lunatic idea of having multiple invisible copy/paste buffers, guaranteeing confusion for decades to come? X isn't that early (1984); weren't there existing conventions for this in the first TUI PC applications? Hell, Emacs existed and did this better.

Edit: I guess maybe it's because early X11 was mostly about running a bunch of xterms simultaneously, most copy/paste was about copying from one xterm to another, and they didn't want to steal keyboard shortcuts from whatever was running in the xterms? Still dumb. And they could have stuck to a single selection even if they wanted to cater to this dumb thing.

Athas fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 9, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the future

the most immaculate janitoring possible

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Satire Forum Mom posted:

I don't know my dude, when I was messing around in Fedora 33 I was able to control C and control v within the same window. But if I tried to control C some text and then go to another window and control v it just wouldn't put it in. I didn't matter if it was a terminal window or another text entry window so it wasn't an issue with the weird terminal shortcuts.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

am i brain damaged or doesnt copying something to the clipboard usually just save it as a special file in your temp folder
if not it loving should, that just makes sense
if it does, how do you gently caress that up?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i select + middle-click paste dozens of times per day, including multiple times within the last 15 minutes or so :shrug:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Insanite posted:

the future

the most immaculate janitoring possible

I can't wait to get to the day when I can run a docker instance from within a fedora silver blue toolbox within a fedora virtual machine across the network being run on proxmox being accessed by an out-of-date Ubuntu.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

am i brain damaged or doesnt copying something to the clipboard usually just save it as a special file in your temp folder
if not it loving should, that just makes sense
if it does, how do you gently caress that up?

nah, if it was designed today that might make more sense, but it is built in a pretty complex way partially for historical reasons and partially because it can actually do things which that implementation wouldn't cover.

in ye olde memory-constrained and slow-disked days the clipboard was a whole little ipc dance where the copying application just registered itself as owning the clipboard, onto which was added the system in some way taking ownership of content from applications closing, and stuff like content types (i.e. requesting the copied content as formatted text or as an image of a certain format). the latter you'd struggle to do with just writing it out as a file, but arguably it is a pretty dumb idea anyway since there are very few cases of interest. still, some cases are no doubt needed, as you'd e.g. want to be able to copy cells in excel and have them both possible to return to excel without losing any of their properties, and to toss into a dumb text editor as raw text.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 9, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

hbag posted:

Getting some extreme Nvidia energies from this post.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

no i heard it on #yospos which i soon left after someone tried to convince me that andy ngo is a good guy
and my dad is cool as gently caress and runs his own small company fixing other people's terrible code

there is very little overlap between IRC yospos and the forums at this point

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Antigravitas posted:

Getting some extreme Nvidia energies from this post.

my laptop's a dell G3 15 3500 which does have a nvidia graphics card

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hbag posted:

my laptop's a dell G3 15 3500 which does have a nvidia graphics card

congratulations, you've identified why your laptop won't work in approximately half of all distros

nouveau is a huge piece of poo poo that barely works on a lot of things, and the nvidia non-free kernel will break constantly on update. any given features, including outputting anything to the screen may or may not work, pretty much at random. and nouveau is perfectly capable of causing random kernel panics on working hardware

good luck.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the best thing you could possibly do is completely disable the discrete gpu and face to intel integrated graphics. because that at least will work everywhere

or use ubuntu non-free, because at least that will just work out of the box

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
i'm pretty sure i made fun of guix earlier but ive been using it as a package manager on my ubuntu machine (to make installing guile libraries easier lol) and it's actually really good? wtf.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alright and if i dont want to completely lobotomise my laptop by not using the graphics card what are my options
just ubuntu?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

alright and if i dont want to completely lobotomise my laptop by not using the graphics card what are my options
just ubuntu?

probably any distro can be made to work, but tbqh if you want to get on with actually using your computer at this point (which would seem the reasonable reaction), make just ubuntu and move on to other matters.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

hbag posted:

just ubuntu?

It will work with any distro, it's just about whether the distro is preconfigured to work out of the box. For example I set up working graphics by booting Ubuntu, looking at the xorg config and kernel drivers, then copying those to another distro that didn't have out of the box support.

I would also say it's worth trying the latest kernel version.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/hybrid_graphics

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

probably any distro can be made to work, but tbqh if you want to get on with actually using your computer at this point (which would seem the reasonable reaction), make just ubuntu and move on to other matters.

yup. assuming the thing you plan to use your computer for isn't just loving with linux, pick a distro that has working non-free drivers and ideally packages for whatever tools you need and just get on with things.

that may very well be ubuntu or some downstream distro, but whatever, you're making a workstation on a laptop, you're probably not going to be hosting services for anything anyone else uses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i have no idea what im looking at