Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

nishi koichi posted:

very excited to get my retro edition this week. i also have a 128 gb sd card, hopefully that should be enough until i can get an ssd

Been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials over the past few days. A lot of people have this edition and it looks nice. My black one sure does get dirty.

Been getting along with it really great. Got composition down well, and now I'm stumbling rear end-end into sampling and chopping. I never understood that on my Digitakt, so it's entirely new ground I'm covering here. Overall I'm very happy with this MPC. It's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Philthy posted:

Been watching a lot of YouTube tutorials over the past few days. A lot of people have this edition and it looks nice. My black one sure does get dirty.

Sort of related... I see Elektron released an all black Octatrack, and they sure do look good. Would look reaaaal nice right next to a black Rytm.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I grabbed a black analog four and it is a nice color

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, the black/yellow color scheme on my Digitakt is really nice on the eyes. Good material for all the encoders and pads as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Philthy posted:

Digitakt

https://youtu.be/Sn2sEZy0iAA

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

In homage to my fine tfr pals, and many a photo of a goon's first mosin, check out my first instruments

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sync 'em all and get those bleeps bloop'n!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

B33rChiller posted:

In homage to my fine tfr pals, and many a photo of a goon's first mosin, check out my first instruments

Got a bunch of fancy poo poo I love to death but my POs are some of my absolute favorite pieces of gear. They’re so much fun and sound fantastic. Enjoy those!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

First thing I did with them was figure out sync and volume. Then my wife and daughter played along with me, as we just fiddled around with them. Super fun so far, and I know we've barely figured out how to scratch the surface, so I will have plenty more to explore and experiment with.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
NDLR came today. Updated to the latest firmware and took it for a spin in the DAW. Really neat device. USB powered only.

My MPC Live II has powered USB ports AND it does full MIDI over USB. So guess what happens when I plug the NDLR into the MPC? It powers up and all the MIDI ports are available. Both devices running off the single battery in the MPC. I can tuck them both under my arm and go downstairs and NDLR away. Well, once I get the MIDI routed 100% and read more on the NDLR. But this is cool as heck! USB-powered devices on the MPC are simply powered AND able to do MIDI with a SINGLE cable. That's it! I'm living in the future! MPC Live has 2 USB ports, but a hub DOES work. Obviously the more devices the more battery drain, but man, talk about cable management nightmares disappearing and this being a truly portable hub! Audio cables will still be needed from the out->MPC in if they're synths. But, eh!

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 9, 2021

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Philthy posted:

NDLR came today. Updated to the latest firmware and took it for a spin in the DAW. Really neat device. USB powered only.

My MPC Live II has powered USB ports AND it does full MIDI over USB. So guess what happens when I plug the NDLR into the MPC? It powers up and all the MIDI ports are available. Both devices running off the single battery in the MPC. I can tuck them both under my arm and go downstairs and NDLR away. Well, once I get the MIDI routed 100% and read more on the NDLR. But this is cool as heck! USB-powered devices on the MPC are simply powered AND able to do MIDI with a SINGLE cable. That's it! I'm living in the future! MPC Live has 2 USB ports, but a hub DOES work. Obviously the more devices the more battery drain, but man, talk about cable management nightmares disappearing and this being a truly portable hub! Audio cables will still be needed from the out->MPC in if they're synths. But, eh!

Neat -- that sounds like it would be really cool. Interested to hear what you think of it once you're putting the NDLR through its paces with the Live.

All this MPC talk is going to make me bust out my Live, which has been collecting a little dust in favor of Elektron gear over the last few months. Time to try connecting them all and seeing what I can do with that.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Posted this in the Yospos Makin Music thread too but thought a few here might like it as I was going on about this drum machine last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Sxot98GfA

Impromptu phone recording of my 'new' (to me, label says it was made in 95) SR16, Maschine Mikro 3 and a Massive patch in some chaotic industrial metal jam thing. It's just phone audio as I suddenly thought it was worth capturing and hadn't bothered routing Maschine properly to record all the audio into Cubase.

SR16 is synced to Cubase via old school midi cable.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Awesome. Just need En Esch or Groovie Man doing some vocals over the top and you're set.

Seriously, that's some good poo poo.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

NonzeroCircle posted:

Posted this in the Yospos Makin Music thread too but thought a few here might like it as I was going on about this drum machine last week.

Impromptu phone recording of my 'new' (to me, label says it was made in 95) SR16, Maschine Mikro 3 and a Massive patch in some chaotic industrial metal jam thing. It's just phone audio as I suddenly thought it was worth capturing and hadn't bothered routing Maschine properly to record all the audio into Cubase.

not trying to be ugly, but I couldn't hear anything? did you record that through your cell phone, pointed at yourself? ninja edit: oh i read the details, oops lol.
2nd edit: ill post this i guess, i did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLp5VRsOFmE

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 11, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

NonzeroCircle posted:

very cool. is that roll button on the maschine just re-triggering the current step?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Cool. The SR16 looks like fun.

Was it easy to get that synced up with Cubase? I keep meaning to try to get my Elektron gear working with Cubase and try to use the sequencer, but then generally just get distracted and end up just recording the audio from the DT/DN with my interface instead. But it seems like it would be fun to control things in Cubase with the midi sequencer from the Elektron boxes.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Cheese Thief posted:

not trying to be ugly, but I couldn't hear anything? did you record that through your cell phone, pointed at yourself? ninja edit: oh i read the details, oops lol.

No worries, although it plays back fairly loud for me, considering. :)
Phone was just on a little tripod thing on my desk aimed at the gear, it's almost halfway between my two monitors. A lot of the time when I'm lazy and film like this it's right next to one speaker so it comes out a lot louder.

The roll thing is the "stutter" performance effect which is Maschine's equivalent of Ableton Live's Beat Repeat. It grabs a short section of audio and loops it, the further to the right on the strip the shorter the loop.

Edit: As for syncing with Cubase, I'm only using midi out from the DAW in this instance, there's a couple boxes to tick in the "sync settings" menu and had to find the right combination in the menus on the SR16 which wasn't too hard. I have had it hooked up using both Midi ports and Cubase picked up the midi in without any issues, although this device is pretty barebones as a midi controller.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 11, 2021

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Philthy posted:

NDLR looks super cool. Definitely interested to hear what you think of it!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Philthy posted:

Been getting along with it really great. Got composition down well, and now I'm stumbling rear end-end into sampling and chopping. I never understood that on my Digitakt, so it's entirely new ground I'm covering here. Overall I'm very happy with this MPC. It's fun.

got mine today. after much hassle upgrading my imac to big sur (mpc program wouldn’t install otherwise), everything’s finally ready to go. on my sd card, i threw in some drum machine samples that sound like post-punk home to me, and i’m having a lot of fun exploring. i’m going to grab the mpc bible soon; there’s so much to learn. i don’t like video tutes most of the time.

i already prefer this guy to the maschine system. somehow the L2 makes much more sense to me, and i love it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

bought this ikea closet organizer thing what y’all think?? Cheaper than a jaspers lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That’s super clever, I’m probably going to steal your idea.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
i think i'm bad and out of touch for not liking ambient. It's so boring, and i don't know why anyone would want to be purposefully boring. Seems like thats the style for rich tech bros who have a lot of money and can afford a lot of gear but never studied music

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
there's some pretty good ambient music. lustmord's the place where the black stars hang is one of my favorite albums. like anything else there's good and bad. hearing someone work within a structure of 20 minutes for a song and doing it all though texture and timbre and movement rather than, like, melody and beat is p cool when that's what the person making the music is doing and they're good at it.

even aphex twins selected ambient works show off the techbro just fuckin' around side in a good light.

a lot of the impetus to do ambient music is to get away from the ubiquity of the tropes and norms of contemporary western music.

an argument could be made that thread favorite genre acid house is the examplar of boring music made by people who are just loving around on gear that is intentionally samey and generic and without inspiration and craft

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I can't find the quote right now but there's a great interview with an art critic (iirc) where he talks about how many people ask him some variation of "how can I learn to like/appreciate great art, a lot of what is considered amazing isn't interesting to me." his response is something like "don't waste your time on art forms that don't interest you just because they interest others. I couldn't care less about ballet, it always leaves me cold. should I force myself through more performances in an attempt to appreciate it when I could be looking at paintings or another art form that I enjoy instead?" i think as long as you're not going around like "ambient isn't real music, its for boring no-talent people" there's no shame is just saying "its not for me;" no need to force it. and maybe sometime in the future you'll come across a piece that's really affecting to you. but you've only got so many hours to do stuff you like and as long as you're not closing yourself off to any exploration or trying new things imo its fine to just know what you want to spend time on

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cheese Thief posted:

i think i'm bad and out of touch for not liking ambient. It's so boring, and i don't know why anyone would want to be purposefully boring. Seems like thats the style for rich tech bros who have a lot of money and can afford a lot of gear but never studied music

Ignore all that and explore the roots of ambient music and Eno and all that imo. Far more interesting and inspiring but as the man himself says:

“ambient music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting.”

Many people do not nail the proper balance unfortunately. At the same time it doesn’t really matter. It’s just sound.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cheese Thief posted:

I think you should like what you like and not feel bad for not liking ambient if it doesn’t appeal to you.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I didn't get much of ambient/drone/noise stuff untill I started doing that kind of stuff myself, now I'm leaning much more in that direction vs chord progressions and melodies etc.
I built a diy feedback loop pedal a few years ago and put together a pedalboard kind of deal with a volca sample and some pedals i wasn't using. Really got into noise from there.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I'm not a huge fan of ambient, but I absolutely love this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AywGwte_OHY

Does it qualify as ambient?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I think you should like what you like and not feel bad for not liking ambient if it doesn’t appeal to you.

:hmmyes:

Also the old adage: that thing you like? It's bad

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I've been playing valheim on the computer a lot recently instead of making music but I'm listening to a lot of dungeon / dark ambient on youtube to set the mood properly, I love it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DffQVP6UqVQ

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Has anyone got a Microfreak?
How are you finding it? It looks really intriguing.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

To each their own, but maybe you're just not listening to the right ambient for you?

https://youtu.be/G3LNUafXcdw

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

toadee posted:

To each their own, but maybe you're just not listening to the right ambient for you?

https://youtu.be/G3LNUafXcdw

all I can think about is salad fingers when I hear that

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

NonzeroCircle posted:

Has anyone got a Microfreak?
How are you finding it? It looks really intriguing.

I love mine. The new updates really add quite a bit to it. Once you get the mod matrix down you’ve got a ton of sound design options at your fingertips.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

The Voice of Labor posted:

all I can think about is salad fingers when I hear that

Funny enough, the salad fingers stuff was BoC which reminds me a lot of some of the selected ambient II tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc6FmiKAJfk&t=1s

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

there's no shame is just saying "its not for me;" no need to force it. and maybe sometime in the future you'll come across a piece that's really affecting to you. but you've only got so many hours to do stuff you like and as long as you're not closing yourself off to any exploration or trying new things imo its fine to just know what you want to spend time on

I couldn't agree more

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm only just dipping my toes into listening to a lot of these different kinds of music. I've found that the more ambient kind of stuff is nice for walking around, blocking out street noise, and having a soundtrack/soundscape going in the background. Mostly just Suzanne Ciani and Alessandro Cortini so far. I like it for the kinds of situations where I might have played some Burzum or Darkthrone previously. I absolutely understand being bored by a lot of it. If I try to just listen intently, it can be very difficult to chill out down to the pace where I can enjoy the music. If it is something that's just happening in the background, I like it a lot more than whatever nonsense sounds are coming from the built up environment.

That said, I listened to Stambecco on some big headphones while pulling a toboggan, walking through the snow, up on the mountain recently. A cloud had settled over the area, and was dumping snow on me. The song felt to me like the perfect reflection of how it felt to be there at that moment.

Also:

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i think as long as you're not going around like "ambient isn't real music, its for boring no-talent people" there's no shame is just saying "its not for me;" no need to force it. and maybe sometime in the future you'll come across a piece that's really affecting to you. but you've only got so many hours to do stuff you like and as long as you're not closing yourself off to any exploration or trying new things imo its fine to just know what you want to spend time on

This is great advice to apply to any style of music, and it took me a shamefully long time to grasp this concept myself.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Slore Tactician posted:

I love mine. The new updates really add quite a bit to it. Once you get the mod matrix down you’ve got a ton of sound design options at your fingertips.

I have one and feel the same. It makes a lot of cool sounds and it’s pretty rad they keep updating it with new features. Seems pretty good for three hundo or whatever. I really enjoy plugging in a battery and jamming on the couch while the wife watches tv. I guess I don’t love the sequencer, but it works ok for when I don’t want to hook up a daw or my digitakt

I really wish it had some kinda built in reverb/delay, it really benefits from some light reverb

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

B33rChiller posted:

I'm only just dipping my toes into listening to a lot of these different kinds of music. I've found that the more ambient kind of stuff is nice for walking around, blocking out street noise, and having a soundtrack/soundscape going in the background. Mostly just Suzanne Ciani and Alessandro Cortini so far. I like it for the kinds of situations where I might have played some Burzum or Darkthrone previously. I absolutely understand being bored by a lot of it. If I try to just listen intently, it can be very difficult to chill out down to the pace where I can enjoy the music. If it is something that's just happening in the background, I like it a lot more than whatever nonsense sounds are coming from the built up environment.

That said, I listened to Stambecco on some big headphones while pulling a toboggan, walking through the snow, up on the mountain recently. A cloud had settled over the area, and was dumping snow on me. The song felt to me like the perfect reflection of how it felt to be there at that moment.

Also:

This is great advice to apply to any style of music, and it took me a shamefully long time to grasp this concept myself.

Alessandro Cortini is one of my favorite people. Not just musicians, but people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

Alessandro Cortini is one of my favorite people. Not just musicians, but people.
Word. I only just learned of him when I watched Bright Sparks. He comes on at around the half hour mark, if the time stamp doesn't work. This was a very interesting bit of history for someone like me.

ETA: I was googling to find more artists that used a Buchla, and came across Cortini dunking on a rando on gearsloots. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=10322943&postcount=9

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 14, 2021