Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
wait buying a red text is bullying now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
also extreme lol i missed the telegraph once again defending nazis

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1368664738566176770

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

"you might think the queen has enough to deal with" how busy is the queen meant to be

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

"you might think the queen has enough to deal with" how busy is the queen meant to be

They're obviously referring to the unholy pact Phillip had signed with the grim reaper finally reaching its expiration date.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

bump_fn posted:

wait buying a red text is bullying now lol

I mean if you do it to one person in order to make them miserable then yeah, it is.

The worst issue with the avatars is that someone with lots of disposable income will always win. You might say 'who cares' but red text does get peoples attention and you can put pretty nasty stuff in them or bring up things that cause obvious discomfort. Also just the fact that you no longer get to chose your own avatar is pretty nasty in its own right. It's a minor power dynamic but when its used against someone who doesn't deserve it, or worse, is actively vulnerable, it's pretty lovely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The business model of the forums has always been making money by giving people the ability to make other people miserable.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The business model of the forums has always been making money by giving people the ability to make other people miserable.

Joke's on y'all: I'm never not miserable

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

kingturnip posted:

Joke's on y'all: I'm never not miserable

Good job, Joke-Identifier 3000.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Even if I were a millionaire, I couldn't imagine ever spending actual money on changing someone's SA av. Just give the money to a food bank or something, jeez.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1369180621290020866?s=19

loving lol

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Unkempt posted:

I'm sure this was true 5 years ago. Maybe it was true a year ago. I spent 5 minutes setting up my printer. It's for idiots.

What model is it? I'm sorry of interested in getting one.

Can it do colour resin or just grey?

What's the ventilation retirements?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The longer version sticks more of a knife in

https://twitter.com/Morris_Monye/status/1369186799092924416

I love the 'you had a relationship with her, and then she cut you off and you're making GBS threads your nappy' implications.

Literally stormed off his own show after 30 seconds of the treatment he gives other people lmaooo.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gotta say it feels a bit staged. I'd imagine Piers a lot more red and animated if that was real.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

TheRat posted:

Gotta say it feels a bit staged. I'd imagine Piers a lot more red and animated if that was real.

Of course it is.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/amy___alison/status/1368871866509754368

good take

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheRat posted:

It probably is but the fact that he's willing to look like such a loving toddler on national TV just to keep the attention on himself is phenomenal in itself.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Lol piers storming off after someone says one critical thing about him is just pure gold.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
piers morgan go on cumtown

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

People who complain about others being too sensitive are often extremely sensitive about their own ideas and I don't think that hypocrisy is really a problem for them, because the people who like them are much the same way, the point is merely the dominance of their ideas, and if throwing a big flounce is a useful tactic they will do it. For all that they might claim to be above that, in reality the thing that really matters is dominating the situation, the pretense of seriousness and factuality is only as a method of dominating, and refusing to participate when they find it unpleasant is just another form of it.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don't think anyone needs to see Piers Morgan storm offstage, fake or not, to verify that he is a cumstain of the higher order

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

People who complain about others being too sensitive are often extremely sensitive about their own ideas

Are you suggesting it's the right who are the snowflakes? :aaaaa:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think more authoritarians than the right necessarily, you see it with a lot of the weird social conservative lefties too. I think it's probably some sort of abusive tendency that people work into their political views if given half a chance.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's an insecurity that conservatives (left or right) project onto people who don't agree with them. They are insecure about their own viewpoints becoming irrelevant so they want to make you believe yours are irrelevant too, hence the storming off and refusing to engage in any meaningful way. Also just old cranky guy who has probably been so used to hearing the sound of his own voice for decades that he can't comprehend a world where every neuron firing in his brain isn't required for it to continue turning.

qhat fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 9, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

People who complain about others being too sensitive are often extremely sensitive about their own ideas and I don't think that hypocrisy is really a problem for them, because the people who like them are much the same way, the point is merely the dominance of their ideas, and if throwing a big flounce is a useful tactic they will do it. For all that they might claim to be above that, in reality the thing that really matters is dominating the situation, the pretense of seriousness and factuality is only as a method of dominating, and refusing to participate when they find it unpleasant is just another form of it.

You could have saved a lot of words by saying "The right project".

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://mobile.twitter.com/SanitaryNaptime/status/1369084634731061250

I can't decide which is my favourite, probably Adonis.

E: changed my mind, it's Umunna with his colour chart rosette.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 9, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Adonis? I thought it was Putin!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

I think the same basically applies to most hypocrisy. I was thinking a while back about Galaxy O'Brain's sudden switch to how everyone should fall behind Starmer to keep the Tories out after years of frothing at the mouth about Corbyn. imo, it's not actually hypocrisy from their perspective. If you assume their views to be axiomatic truth, of course the same logic doesn't apply when the tables are turned. The left should rally behind Starmer, but the centre shouldn't rally behind Corbyn because the left are wrong. It's not hypocrisy to complain about snowflakes melting down about ~objective truth~ whilst yourself melting down about things that are objectively wrong. "If you assume I'm right, it turns out I'm right" is a depressively common form of argument in modern discourse (typically with a bunch of completely otiose other steps of reasoning to paper over the core assumption).

CW for transphobia: the terf "1+1=2" slogan is the most infuriating example of this, because they're basically flat-out admitting that they're just axiomatically assuming that they're right (e: & also because its monstrous). All of the other terf arguments are derived from a false assumption, and you can't argue with the fuckers because it's a loving axiom to them. There's just no point in engaging with these types of argument, people always try to challenge the extra steps papering over the core assumption and it's just a waste of time. "[x assumption] is bullshit, gently caress off" is about all you can say.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 9, 2021

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Was news a while ago but have just got notice that the post office has sold its broadband division to Shell Energy (formerly First Energy (a spin-out from First Telecom (?))).

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/02/shell-signs-deal-to-gobble-post-offices-uk-broadband-division.html

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

OwlFancier posted:

It feels invariable that, if the criticism is coming from somewhere in the center/right then it is a projection of their own views on things.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

CW for transphobia: the terf "1+1=2" slogan is the most infuriating example of this
Wait, their what now?

I thought I'd seen most of their bad faith bullshit, but I'd somehow managed to miss that. Is that the best that they can do against

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Borrovan posted:

I think the same basically applies to most hypocrisy. I was thinking a while back about Galaxy O'Brain's sudden switch to how everyone should fall behind Starmer to keep the Tories out after years of frothing at the mouth about Corbyn. imo, it's not actually hypocrisy from their perspective. If you assume their views to be axiomatic truth, of course the same logic doesn't apply when the tables are turned. The left should rally behind Starmer, but the centre shouldn't rally behind Corbyn because the left are wrong. It's not hypocrisy to complain about snowflakes melting down about ~objective truth~ whilst yourself melting down about things that are objectively wrong. "If you assume I'm right, it turns out I'm right" is a depressively common form of argument in modern discourse (typically with a bunch of completely otiose other steps of reasoning to paper over the core assumption).

CW for transphobia: the terf "1+1=2" slogan is the most infuriating example of this, because they're basically flat-out admitting that they're just axiomatically assuming that they're right (e: & also because its monstrous). All of the other terf arguments are derived from a false assumption, and you can't argue with the fuckers because it's a loving axiom to them. There's just no point in engaging with these types of argument, people always try to challenge the extra steps papering over the core assumption and it's just a waste of time. "[x assumption] is bullshit, gently caress off" is about all you can say.

The most honest admission of this was when they were doing the evil judge in the US last year, after saying 4 years previously that you can't confirm a supreme court judge right at the end of a president's term (Obama in that instance). Some guy just straight out said "it was bad to do it then because that was a bad judge we don't like, but of course we're going to do it now when it's someone we want". This is why the liberal "hah, gotcha" hypocrisy-hunting doesn't work, they just go "yeah, and?"

Reminds me of a Jack Dee quote that I can't remember the context of: "...but I can do that, you see, because I'm a hypocrite"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Something seems off about that article.

"To reach the top of US society, it's not enough to be rich or famous. You have to be the best of the best. A household name.
Like Beyonce and Jay-Z. Obama and Michelle. George and Amal. Serena and her husband. You know, the guy with the face. He did that thing one time."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Something seems off about that article.

"To reach the top of US society, it's not enough to be rich or famous. You have to be the best of the best. A household name.
Like Beyonce and Jay-Z. Obama and Michelle. George and Amal. Serena and her husband. You know, the guy with the face. He did that thing one time."

Fair enough that you wouldn't want to specifically shout-out the Reddit guy, it would be a bit of a distraction from the point of the piece and the omission hardly changes the point imo. It's not really a very insightful piece of writing anyway - wow, class structures exist

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
admitting class structures exist is haram in western media tho

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Completely off-topic, I seem to remember a while back some Tory arguing that Mr. Potter was the hero in It's A Wonderful Life. I'm using him in a lecture as an example of why subjectively believing yourself to be acting properly shouldn't be relevant in law (discussing a particular doctrine in which it is relevant), and don't want to pass up an opportunity to bash the Tories in front of 250 students. Can anyone remember who it was?

e: apparently Javid said it was his favourite film whilst also being a Randroid, it could be that I just assumed he thought that

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 9, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I tried looking but there's at least a dozen wannabe edgelords making that claim.

It's probably second only to "ha, everyone says that Scrooge is mean and bad but did you consider that he was actually rational and free market and good, no, I've never read the original book where Dickens outright says "Scrooge isn't mean and bad but sometimes being rational and market driven isn't enough to be virtuous" why do you ask?"

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

bump_fn posted:

good take

Seems legit. America is fine with minorities being upper class, i.e. personally employing security, PR people, etc. It’s being middle class and a minority that’s another story, as you have to rely on public institutions like the schools, hospitals and, crucially, the police.

I mean, imagine someone was personally racist but worked for, say, Oprah. They would have to do such a good job hiding it that it would end up functionally indistinguishable from not being racist. Whereas a racist cop more or less just has to avoid having visible swastika tattoos.

The whole silly story about the flower girl’s tights cuts to the heart of the class relations in this country. The PR people handling that story were not working for her, but a shared resource with the rest of the Firm. So despite being a Duchess, she functionally wasn’t upper class. But she also wasn’t allowed to remain middle class, or own things like keys and a passport. She was required to be purely a dependent, with no economic function other than to make babies. That lack of class status meant she had no power to deal with even petty racism. Let alone harder problems, like the continued existence of Piers Morgan...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bump_fn posted:

admitting class structures exist is haram in western media tho

Yeah, fair

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
piers morgan is just will farrell from anchorman with an accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bump_fn posted:

piers morgan is just will farrell from anchorman with an accent

Man I wish our gross, regressive overpaid pundits were actually like that.