Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Way late on exhaust chat but I made a short video of what mine sounds like with a UEL but stock exhaust otherwise, all the cats and a stock though stainless muffler. I dont like the revving sounds all that much but driving sounds great\

https://youtu.be/M0ClKuX-DZE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fresh_cheese posted:

And all this high insurance cost is part of the WRX /racecar/ 21 yr old bad decision making thing, im guessing?

When I renewed my BRZ's insurance after turning 25, it went down a thousand dollars a year.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I managed to avoid having to pay Bardman's Artisnal Oxy Sensor Emporium prices and got a call from a guy who, poo poo you not, was driving through my town with 2 EZ30 cats in his car on the back seat and saw my card in the supermarket.

So I got 2x Oxygen sensors for $20

Even if they don't work, I won't feel sore about taking a punt at that price, and now I know a guy for scrap parts even if he is 2 towns over

Anyway in hopefully unrelated news, today my engine bay started smelling like burnt rubber.
There's also a scraping sound (kinda like a guiro but plasticky/scratchier) which seems to be comingfrom one of the pulleys

What should be the first things I investigate there?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Take the belt off and start spinning pulleys.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are upgraded brake shoes a thing for drum brakes? I was looking at what it would take to swap my OBS to rear discs and that's a whole lot more effort than I want to put into it for what would probably be a minimal actual improvement. My front pads are getting a little low and I was thinking of getting braided lines and some upgraded pads but I'm worried about upgrading the front brakes without doing anything to the rears and messing up the brake bias.

Related, how often do I need to change my rotors and drums? These are 65k miles old but don't seem to be warped or anything, just oxidized. To be honest rebuilding drum brakes does intimidate me a little bit but maybe that's unwarranted? Discs just seem a lot simpler.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

rebuilding drums is just as simple as rebuilding discs, they're just entirely different so experience with one doesn't translate much.

drums are pretty simple to work on and you can 100% learn to do it watching youtube videos and reading your repair manual (also wassup rear drums buddy, 95 impreza L here)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

dk2m posted:

FA WRX is a great car for a daily - I just recently sold my 16 and it had around 93K totally trouble free miles. It’s a fantastic car as long as you take the “performance” part less seriously than the “all-rounder” part.

The biggest pro I can think of is the sheer utility of it if you live in a snowy climate - I packed my entire life in it and drove from the east coast to Denver, and it was my only car I used year round. I used to go up in the mountains regularly in it I think that’s where it shines the most once you put snows on it.

The cons are all mostly drivetrain related for me - stock, it just wasn’t enough of a drivers car which is why mods are very popular. However, if you don’t care about that, and want a fun, affordable, proper AWD, trouble free daily (within stick limits), I can’t think of a better can than a WRX.

I had the Base and after a while, the interior space started falling apart a bit, lots of rattles and hard plastics to make it feel like the economy car base that it’s built on - I think if I had to do it again, I would opt for the Premium instead. It’s really worth it.

The rev hang is supposedly less intense in the newer 2021 models, but I don’t know if that’s true or not. I would say to test drive it thoroughly - if after an hour of mixed driving it feels fun/solid, do it right away. If the wacky torque response, rev hang and sedate demeanor turn you off, it might be worth waiting for the new one that’s supposed to be announced soon.

there is literally no practical argument in favor of a wrx that doesn't also apply to the naturally aspirated impreza. if you want the vroomvrooms, go hog wild, but don't delude yourself. you're buying a factory hotrodded version of an otherwise-practical car and taking the corresponding hit on insurance and gas, because it's fun and you get all the other benefits of the practical car, minus the fuel economy and inexpensive insurance

e: basically, compare the difference in purchase price, insurance, and gas, and ask yourself if that ten to twenty grand or so over the next five to ten years is 1) an amount you're fine with budgeting for fun stuff and 2) if more vrooms is the fun thing you want to spend it on, or if you'd rather spend it on something else fun, like a motorcycle, a project car, traveling, or some other hobby. this way, no matter what you decide, youve maximized your smiles per gallon :v:

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 9, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Rebuilding disc systems on a Subaru is easier than any drum setup.

Also it really depends on what you swap to for the improvement. I don't remember your year model car but if it's say a older GC then switching to say GD WRX rear hubs / GD WRX front brakes is a veeeeeeeeeeeeery noticable difference. Cheap brake performance right there. Bit of work but you can have a gun brake setup (and also remember to swap to a set of wheels that will clear the fronts)

Just a front two pot sliding caliper with a single pot rear caliper will not mess the brake bias badly.

The rear disc setup is an internal drum which that's more than enough to convince anyone that drum brakes suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

OMGVBFLOL posted:

there is literally no practical argument in favor of a wrx that doesn't also apply to the naturally aspirated impreza. if you want the vroomvrooms, go hog wild, but don't delude yourself. you're buying a factory hotrodded version of an otherwise-practical car and taking the corresponding hit on insurance and gas, because it's fun and you get all the other benefits of the practical car, minus the fuel economy and inexpensive insurance

e: basically, compare the difference in purchase price, insurance, and gas, and ask yourself if that ten to twenty grand or so over the next five to ten years is 1) an amount you're fine with budgeting for fun stuff and 2) if more vrooms is the fun thing you want to spend it on, or if you'd rather spend it on something else fun, like a motorcycle, a project car, traveling, or some other hobby. this way, no matter what you decide, youve maximized your smiles per gallon :v:

This here is top notch advice.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

would largely agree but having owned a NA impreza before, there isn’t even a hint of anything mildly exciting going on compared to say a mazda 3 or even a civic with its fantastic gearbox. the only reason i would get an impreza at that point is if AWD is the overriding priority - otherwise, id gladly take a mazda 3.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
In a recent group chat we were talking about cars and my best friend’s brother in law mentioned he had owned a 2018 WRX and really didn’t like it. My best friend drove it and agreed. The shifter was vague, clutch engagement vague and unpredictable, steering had no weight or feedback, and the rev hang was atrocious. So four out of five driver controls left a lot to be desired. It was not fun to drive from a driver’s engagement point of view, and really wasn’t very quick. He had noticed this stuff a little when he test drove it but decided he’d just get used to it, but never really did. He installed an AP and flashed the stage 1 map which helped a bit but never really liked it. He sold it and bought a lightly used V8 Charger for similar money, which while not any more engaging, is a little roomier and the engine is a lot more fun. I didn’t get a chance to drive it before he sold it but generally we like the same things in cars. Other points of reference that we owned/drove and considered fun were a ‘10 135i convertible, GD Impreza, GR Impreza, SG Forester XT, and my BL Legacy GT, so not exactly air cooled Porsche levels of expense or driver engagement.

Not trying to tell anybody that what they like sucks. If you find the car fun now then you’ll probably be happy with it, but yeah, it’s a big jump in expense over a more normal car that not everybody enjoys during their daily commute.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I have nothing to contribute until the weather stays above freezing, but I just want to pop in and say that I love the new thread title and icon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of the reasons why I went with a Golf R over a 2019 Series.Grey. WRX to replace my 2011 WRX was the lack of polish.

And I don't mean that in the refinement sense, I mean that in the fact that the car just felt like a collection of potential that was haphazardly dashed together in a way that made each part lesser. Nothing just quite meshed. The power delivery just felt a step off from the gearing. The steering didn't feel like it was tuned with the suspension in mind. Everything about it felt like they took very capable pieces, shoved them in a car shaped mold, and then gave up without trying to make it a coherent whole.

To be clear, this isn't the same as wanting them to file off rough edges in the experience. On the contrary, I would have preferred if the WRX felt a little more raw and connected.

I've said before, but my 2015 BRZ is more a spiritual successor to my 2002 WRX than the current WRX. While the BRZ does have flaws (torque dip), the way it encourages you to drive it largely sidesteps the problem.

It boggles my mind that Subaru can deliver a car as well tuned toward driver's experience as the BRZ while at the same time letting their performance halo languish in "good enough" limbo.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

i own every Bionicle posted:

Not trying to tell anybody that what they like sucks. If you find the car fun now then you’ll probably be happy with it, but yeah, it’s a big jump in expense over a more normal car that not everybody enjoys during their daily commute.

i can definitely agree to all the downsides in this post. the way subaru tuned this is designed to cut timing if you so much as think about wringing it out - it makes the whole experience feel very inconsistent.

all of this can of course be corrected in the aftermarket but spending 4-5K on a brand new car with a warranty is quite an ask.

it took me nearly 30k miles to get used to the clutch feel - it just never really felt right initially, but i think my brain just compensated for it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Agreed on all of this. Also, after spending a bunch of money on upgrades to make it....whatever it turns into I have some advice: don't ever drive a car that is actually fast, handles well or is in any way sporty fun because the WRX doesn't stand up. Certainly not with the amount of money you'd have in it by then.

This is one of the reasons people buy them though: it's aspirational. They can keep flinging money into it with a hope and a dream that some day it will be just like Travis Pastrana's car.

Not sure what's up with saying a base model impreza 5 speed isn't fun. You can wring them out and keep it mostly under felony speeds. It's no sports car, but for a practical (and criminally underpowered) 4 door it's pretty fun. For what it is, not as a sports car. That would be just disappointing, as detailed in WRX chat.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

Not sure what's up with saying a base model impreza 5 speed isn't fun. You can wring them out and keep it mostly under felony speeds. It's no sports car, but for a practical (and criminally underpowered) 4 door it's pretty fun. For what it is, not as a sports car. That would be just disappointing, as detailed in WRX chat.

just my personal opinion, for me it was an appliance that got from a to b safely; can’t say i ever thought it was fun. maybe others feel differently! i found a civic to be way more engaging because of the inputs.

we’re all so hard on the poor FA :( i still had a lovely 5 years with the car and i honestly miss it. i hope whoever recently bought one enjoys it and it puts a smile on your face

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Rebuilding disc systems on a Subaru is easier than any drum setup.

Also it really depends on what you swap to for the improvement. I don't remember your year model car but if it's say a older GC then switching to say GD WRX rear hubs / GD WRX front brakes is a veeeeeeeeeeeeery noticable difference. Cheap brake performance right there. Bit of work but you can have a gun brake setup (and also remember to swap to a set of wheels that will clear the fronts)

Just a front two pot sliding caliper with a single pot rear caliper will not mess the brake bias badly.

The rear disc setup is an internal drum which that's more than enough to convince anyone that drum brakes suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Mine's a '99, so I think it's a... GF or something? Whatever they called the wagon versions of the GC. I don't really want to go through the effort of swapping the whole rear knuckle, which as I understand it from the DIY guide I would have to do, plus replacing the parking brake. I was thinking about just getting some nicer pads up front and braided lines, maybe slotted rotors or maybe not. Basically the SVX needs a brake job and I got slotted rotors, ceramic pads, and braided lines. Then I thought about how the pads on the Impreza are getting kind of low and was wondering if there's something equivalent for the drums.

Fake edit: I just looked at the guide again and realized that the intimidating parts list is just basically everything that would come on the knuckle if I grabbed one from a pick a part junkyard. Still something to do once I'm confident that the SVX isn't going to break down since it requires pulling apart the inside of the car to get to the parking brake cables, but it's something to consider. I would ideally still like to be able to use 15" wheels though, I've got some good winter tires on my 15" wheels that only have about 8k miles on them.

I was confused why people were saying that a NA Impreza isn't fun to drive, then I remembered that you all are talking about one that's 20 years newer, and all of the '00s - '10s cars I have driven are much less raw-feeling than a '90s car.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was confused why people were saying that a NA Impreza isn't fun to drive, then I remembered that you all are talking about one that's 20 years newer, and all of the '00s - '10s cars I have driven are much less raw-feeling than a '90s car.

It sucks, eh? It's cool that all it takes to tune a large portion of your car nowadays is some courage and a few hundred bucks to spend on a dongle (well, and a laptop,) but those same portions are ultimately being controlled by something else's brain and not your own.

My current favorite is possibly related to the hill assist function -- pumping the brakes with the clutch disengaged and hill assist triggered will sap the brake pedal as if the car was off. I've had it happen a handful of times leaving my local grocery store, whose exit involves a steep incline and a poor visibility turn into a 4-lane intersection (lots of oops-back-on-the-brake action.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 9, 2021

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I’m not saying I didn’t love my WRX, because I did. But I also really really like my 09 civic Si. The chassis feels more thought out, the shifter is excellent, the motor is like a sewing machine and reminds me of the best parts of my e46 m3. Also the back seat is pretty ok and insurance is cheap. The main thing is getting over It being FWD. Just saying I’d put your rear end in a few seats and see what feels right.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Oh yeah the brakes on the WRX could be better imo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So how amazing/terrible are the early FA engines? There's some higher mileage stuff in my price range with 3 pedals. My hips/knees don't want to go back to 3 pedals, but I'll take it as a trade off to not having to deal with timing belts (or CVTs).

Or should I just keep throwing money at Brokeback and its tired EJ251? It needs a bit of work, but it's driveable around town. It'd be fine at highway speeds once I get the violent shaking sorted out (99% sure it's the transmission mount coupled with a lovely reman axle, but it didn't get severe until I got hung up on a rock by way of the oil pan...)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 9, 2021

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Sadi posted:

I’m not saying I didn’t love my WRX, because I did. But I also really really like my 09 civic Si. The chassis feels more thought out, the shifter is excellent, the motor is like a sewing machine and reminds me of the best parts of my e46 m3. Also the back seat is pretty ok and insurance is cheap. The main thing is getting over It being FWD. Just saying I’d put your rear end in a few seats and see what feels right.

Man I wish Honda built Subarus. Having done a bunch of track days I’m always jealous about how fast and reliable the sporty ones seem to be. I go a lot with a guy and his girlfriend, he drives an S2000 and she drives an SI. We always do ride alongs with each other and she is beating the poo poo out her SI, concentrating on driving instead of an Accessport, and the car couldn’t give less of a gently caress. Actually the S2000 is often broken but that’s because it’s supercharged and making like 400whp.

But, yeah, no AWD.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

STR posted:

So how amazing/terrible are the early FA engines? There's some higher mileage stuff in my price range with 3 pedals. My hips/knees don't want to go back to 3 pedals, but I'll take it as a trade off to not having to deal with timing belts (or CVTs).

Really? EJ25 timing belts are super easy.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Man I wish Honda built Subarus. Having done a bunch of track days I’m always jealous about how fast and reliable the sporty ones seem to be. I go a lot with a guy and his girlfriend, he drives an S2000 and she drives an SI. We always do ride alongs with each other and she is beating the poo poo out her SI, concentrating on driving instead of an Accessport, and the car couldn’t give less of a gently caress. Actually the S2000 is often broken but that’s because it’s supercharged and making like 400whp.

But, yeah, no AWD.

I think that's more a naturally aspirated thing than anything else.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

It boggles my mind that Subaru can deliver a car as well tuned toward driver's experience as the BRZ while at the same time letting their performance halo languish in "good enough" limbo.

Too busy printing money with the Crosstrek.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Agreed on all of this. Also, after spending a bunch of money on upgrades to make it....whatever it turns into I have some advice: don't ever drive a car that is actually fast, handles well or is in any way sporty fun because the WRX doesn't stand up. Certainly not with the amount of money you'd have in it by then.

Hard disagree. I've driven faster and so called "handles" better - the WRX especially in it's older form kicks the poo poo out of them. And the WRX gets more fun when the road conditions arent perfect.

The older they get, the more raw and exhilarating they are. The GC8 really is one of the best pure driving cars and even better it doesnt give one second of a drat when the roads arent a racetrack. It doesnt need wide sticky tyres to generate cornering speed, it really is a barely tamed rally car and it has zero fucks about it.

The VA is somewhat different but it still has some of that DNA in there.

quote:

Manual Subarus are all a ball of fun. Even underpowered old Foresters. Even more fun when the underpowered shitbox has been stuffed full of hot suspension and brakes far beyond the capacity of the engine to stress

CVT NA Subarus are the very definition Oh God Please kill me to drive

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

simplefish posted:

I
Anyway in hopefully unrelated news, today my engine bay started smelling like burnt rubber.
There's also a scraping sound (kinda like a guiro but plasticky/scratchier) which seems to be comingfrom one of the pulleys

What should be the first things I investigate there?

I think it might actually be oil drippimg onto the right exhaust cat.

Looks kidnda wet and a little smoky

If I'm remembering correctly that's also the sensor that's broken on that side

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ok the grease has spurted out of my steering linkage (right hand drive)

How critical is that and is it a simple part swap or a shitload of labour and expensive bits to fix?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

simplefish posted:

Ok the grease has spurted out of my steering linkage (right hand drive)

How critical is that and is it a simple part swap or a shitload of labour and expensive bits to fix?

Grease?? That's not right. Sure it's not your CV boot splitting?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Grease?? That's not right. Sure it's not your CV boot splitting?

Could be but it's above the boot
Could also be an oil but looks thick and has a slightly grey sheen like grease

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

simplefish posted:

Is the bottom of the boot split open? That's kinda what it looks like from the picture but hard to tell

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The older they get, the more raw and exhilarating they are. The GC8 really is one of the best pure driving cars and even better it doesnt give one second of a drat when the roads arent a racetrack. It doesnt need wide sticky tyres to generate cornering speed, it really is a barely tamed rally car and it has zero fucks about it.

If I can ever afford it, I really want one of the JDM Gravel Express versions, I'm not sure how exactly the suspension is set up but it's a WRX crossed with an Outback Sport. There's only one I have found for sale in the US, though, and in the past year it has gone up in price $2k while sitting on the same lot not selling.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Munkeylord posted:

Is the bottom of the boot split open? That's kinda what it looks like from the picture but hard to tell

This photo is taken from above, oil/grease is on top surfaces.

Steering part sits higher than the boot too

I will check underneath the boot though when I'm back home

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

simplefish posted:

This photo is taken from above, oil/grease is on top surfaces.

Steering part sits higher than the boot too

I will check underneath the boot though when I'm back home

Yea understand that, it could be catching a draft when you're driving and flinging it in the pathway above the actual boot or wherever. Cars are weird. If theres not damage to the boot see if the boot spins when you try to turn it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Thanks, I'll check

I'm surpised it could get up that high but wouldn't disbelieve it

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

simplefish posted:

100% split / cracked CV boot. There is no grease in the steering like that. And yes, the rotational velocity of the boot will spray grease evvvvvvvvvvvverrrrrywhere.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

100% split / cracked CV boot. There is no grease in the steering like that. And yes, the rotational velocity of the boot will spray grease evvvvvvvvvvvverrrrrywhere.

Ah right makes sense

Can I drive on it until the weekend?

Is it the sort of fix where you ask where your rent money's coming from this month, or fairly quick and easy?

Could I do it myself in a weekend if I got the parts?
What tools would I need?

I'm not particularly experienced working on cars but don't mind getting my hands dirty and have changed clutches and brake pads with my dad

simplefish fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 10, 2021

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

simplefish posted:

Ah right makes sense

Is it the sort of fix where you ask where your rent money's coming from this month, or fairly quick and easy?

What tools would I need?

I'm not particularly experienced working on cars but don't mind getting my hands dirty and have changed clutches and brake pads with my dad

Eh, yea it's not cheap to fix that. It's also not an immediate thing you need to worry about. But you should fix it sooner rather than later. This is probably bad advice to some.

If your dad is close he can probably assist you with this. You also need a special pin tool, forget the number of it. And it's always a good idea to make friends with your local technical college auto mechanic instructors to get parts at dealer or below costs lol

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

simplefish posted:

Ah right makes sense

What tools would I need?

It depends. You need a big socket for the Axel nut (32 MM I think?) and if it's stuck in there it can a PITA to get it out. The part itself should be under 150 dollars.

I like this dude's videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjd8LT19hNE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Honestly, I would probably just put on a new boot and squirt in some fresh grease. That's a heck of a lot less expensive and probably sufficient for what looks like a fairly recent tear. Plus, that way you don't go down the rabbit hole of finding axles that don't suck. :shrug:

e: Gonna echo the sentiment that it's entirely doable but might be a pain, depending on your individual car.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 10, 2021