Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

Ratjaculation posted:

How many bullets to the face did it take to stop that terrorist running and jumping barriers* onto the Tube?
(*slightly tanned man walking normally)

It's worth reading about the the colour bar if you want to understand what segregation was like in the UK, and just how deep rooted racism is here. Also, casual racism is absolutely everywhere here, and entirely reenforced by the same media class that go after Meghan time and time again. I mean the whole country revels a national 'hero' whose genocides in India potentially killed more than the holocaust.

How many people die each year in the UK because of the police?

How many people die each year in the US because of the police?

I don't disagree that racism is present in the UK. But it is not overt nor as impactful as it is in the US

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I see Prince Andrew has logged on above me.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DGC773 posted:

I don't disagree that racism is present in the UK. But it is not overt nor as impactful as it is in the US

That's an exceptionally American hill to die on

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

DGC773 posted:

Fewer than in the USA, sure. But black people are still more likely to die in custody here than white people.

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._Accessible.pdf

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I wonder what it is about her that the totally Not Racist uk media don't like

Now imagine these stories are constantly being churned out. gently caress I hate the royals but good on them for wanting out.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

I wonder what it is about her that the totally Not Racist uk media don't like

Now imagine these stories are constantly being churned out. gently caress I hate the royals but good on them for wanting out.

The media have always been a bunch of twats to people. Especially women in the Royal family. Kate was hounded when she was first rumoured to be going out with Will. This isn't something new or special Meghan is experiencing.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Royals are so lucky. If only there was an unambiguous list of the people I had to kill to gain ultimate power. I don't even know who this Miss Tindall lady is but she's just has to kill 17 (18 if you count the current Queen I guess) people to become Queen. I know it sounds like a lot but honestly it's a very achievable goal. Those people meet up for barbeques and balls all the time.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

DGC773 posted:

The media have always been a bunch of twats to people. Especially women in the Royal family. Kate was hounded when she was first rumoured to be going out with Will

Show us some comparisons then

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Show us some comparisons then

Of what? I am telling you that women in the RF have always been hounded by the media in some way or another. Not that it makes it right...

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

DGC773 posted:

Of what? I am telling you that women in the RF have always been hounded by the media in some way or another. Not that it makes it right...
Burden of proof? You've made a claim so back it up or you'll look silly

Would love to see the articles where the press said that Kate doesn't look like royalty, but not really explain why (it's obvious), like they did with Meghan

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Collateral posted:

A Greek mf has no place questioning anybodies skin.

The motherfucker is mostly Danish.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Burden of proof? You've made a claim so back it up or you'll look silly

Would love to see the articles where the press said that Kate doesn't look like royalty, but not really explain why (it's obvious), like they did with Meghan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6290066.stm

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DGC773 posted:

Absolutely no way. Racism in the US is ingrained in it's society. The UK has never had segregation and does not have the same level of social division that the US has. London is one of the most multicultural cities in the world and there is no issue with police brutality.

oh word?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I wasn't saying there wasn't press coverage of both of them, it's the difference in the coverage with very unsubtle reasoning. See below for a front page I'd like to see an equivalent to.

Your argument seems to be that Meghan getting transparently racist hounding in the press doesn't matter because other royals are also hounded in the press

The same way as were saying on the last page that Britain being massively racist doesn't matter because theres racism in other countries too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

DGC773 posted:

Absolutely no way. Racism in the US is ingrained in it's society. The UK has never had segregation and does not have the same level of social division that the US has. London is one of the most multicultural cities in the world and there is no issue with police brutality.

Ahahahahahahahahahahah

Look at this goddamn fool.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

I wasn't saying there wasn't press coverage of both of them, it's the difference in the coverage with very unsubtle reasoning. See below for a front page I'd like to see an equivalent to.

Your argument seems to be that Meghan getting transparently racist hounding in the press doesn't matter because other royals are also hounded in the press

I am not saying this at all. I am sure there are some racial undertones but the media hounding someone for whatever reason is nothing new.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Samovar posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahah

Look at this goddamn fool.

Do you really think we have the same issue with police brutality as the US do......

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Did you just Google hounded? This is about Kate being followed around by paparazzi, not really what is being talked about with Meghan.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Algol Star posted:

Did you just Google hounded? This is about Kate being followed around by paparazzi, not really what is being talked about with Meghan.

This was all happening between 2000-2008 so there are not many online articles about it. Newspaper headlines were calling her "waity kate" "snoppy" and all sorts.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

:amen:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DGC773 posted:

Do you really think we have the same issue with police brutality as the US do......

It's amazing how the word no can mean so many different things to different people. For example I might say that there is no beer in my house and by that mean that there is no beer in my house. You however may interpret that to mean that there is beer in my house but not the same quantities that one might find in a brewery.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

In the last 25 years UK police have killed 57 people.

In February 2021 US police have killed 60 people.

But yeah okay the UK is the one with the problem!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

DGC773 posted:

But how many people have the Queen killed in the last 25 years? We should ask the real hard hitting questions here.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

DGC773 posted:

This was all happening between 2000-2008 so there are not many online articles about it. Newspaper headlines were calling her "waity kate" "snoppy" and all sorts.

Reminds me of when Jimmy Hill compared being called 'Chinny Hill' to being called the n word.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

lilljonas posted:

But how many people have the Queen killed in the last 25 years? We should ask the real hard hitting questions here.

We all know that was Phil and Charlie

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

Pawn 17 posted:

What kind of no life weirdos care about the royal family at all?

a question that haunts british people for most of their lives

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Wow, Michael Gove's wife must really hate Megan.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

DGC773 posted:

In 2019 Brazilian police were involved in 5,804 deaths

In 2019 US police were involved in 1,536 deaths

But yeah okay the US is the one with the problem!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

ShredsYouSay posted:

While the UK has not had de jure segregation in living memory, and London is a multicultural world city, lol at the rest. Racism and xenophobia are cornerstones of British identity.

Has it ever had de jure segregation? I thought not and a quick google confirmed it but I'm open to being wrong.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1068/d060423?journalCode=epda

Algol Star posted:

Reminds me of when Jimmy Hill compared being called 'Chinny Hill' to being called the n word.

Is he a Chinese fellow?

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

a question that haunts british people for most of their lives

Only hillbilly lefties and UK haters dislike the RF.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

DGC773 posted:

Only hillbilly lefties and UK haters dislike the RF.

and people who dislike nonces

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

and people who dislike nonces

US police need to extradite Andrew

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Weka posted:

Is he a Chinese fellow?

No he just had a big chin.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

DGC773 posted:

In London black people are 9 times more likely to be stopped and searched than white people and are almost 3 times more likely to be killed during arrest or in custody. There have been a number of cases in recent years where black people have been murdered by the London Metropolitan police using the same choke hold that was used to kill George Floyd.

The UK has a complicit media, much more so than the US, that helps bury the truth. The BBC ran endless coverage on the murder of George Floyd but rarely covers killings by UK police. Of the dozens of people killed by British police in the past year, most of them barely get a mention on regional news bulletins and certainly don't get round-the-clock nationwide coverage.

Another reason it doesn't get coverage is that people here are much less aware of their right to film police activity than in the US. British police are trained to use bullshit threats such as seizing phones for evidential purposes or quoting the Public Order Act to get people to stop filming. They rely on people's ignorance of the law, whereas in the USA people are more aware of their right to record police activity.

Give every British cop a gun and see how that works out for black people.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

niggling

Finally, someone is asking the hard questions

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Of the dozens of people killed by British police in the past year

Evidence? This is not true at all.

The US media never dares asking tough questions of politicans or holding the police to accout. Look at how the UK press questions public officials, it is FAR different to the US they actually ask pushing questions.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_Kingdom

British police killed 5 people last year.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Stop thinking Britain is like America because the issues in the UK are completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

DGC773 posted:

Where's this figure from? Inquest, the charity that monitors deaths by UK police, puts the figure at 1778 since they began monitoring in 1990. And that's only for England and Wales, not the whole of the UK.