Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've always preferred King Frat, myself.

I'm not really a fan of Norm's early stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Where's this figure from? Inquest, the charity that monitors deaths by UK police, puts the figure at 1778 since they began monitoring in 1990. And that's only for England and Wales, not the whole of the UK.

The that figure is people dead from direct police killings. As in the police shot them.

The figure that Inquest produced is ALL DEALTHS of suspected criminals and those in prison. If someone has a heart attack in prison then they count it. Even if the death was not related to police or prison officer actions

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

DGC773 posted:

Stop thinking Britain is like America because the issues in the UK are completely different.

I wasn't equating the two countries, obviously the issue is much more severe in the USA.

I was countering your argument that police brutality doesn't exist in the UK and that Britain, the country that established concentration camps for black people in Africa, carried out genocide by starvation in India and Ireland, and whose media is running a concerted hate campaign against a slightly brown woman who dared marry into its all-white inbred ruling dynasty, isn't institutionally racist in any way.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DGC773 posted:

Stop thinking Britain is like America because the issues in the UK are completely different.

Tell that to the 5 sods what was done in by old bill. Don't reckon they'd be havin' a bubble about it.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Tell that to the 5 sods what was done in by old bill. Don't reckon they'd be havin' a bubble about it.

Show me a country in the world that doesn't have the police killing people who are committing a crime? UK police are extremely low on the police killing statistics despite being a western country and having a large prison population

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I wasn't equating the two countries, obviously the issue is much more severe in the USA.

I was countering your argument that police brutality doesn't exist in the UK and that Britain, the country that established concentration camps for black people in Africa, carried out genocide by starvation in India and Ireland, and whose media is running a concerted hate campaign against a slightly brown woman who dared marry into its all-white inbred ruling dynasty, isn't institutionally racist in any way.

I should have caveated my comment, police brutality does exist in every country. But relative to the USA it is not a problem in the UK at all.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Good to know that it's only a police killing if they shoot me and not beat or taze me to death in a cell.

Any death that occurs during police custody is only being investigated by internally. Only if this internal investigation comes to the conclusion that the death was suspicious enough to warrant further action, then it will be handed over to actual inquiry and prosecution.

As far is I know there has been no actual prosecution in the last years.

Black people account for 3% of the population, but 8% of deaths in custody.

Re deaths:

inquest posted:

In the financial year 2019/20, there were 18 deaths in or following police custody, three police shootings, 24 deaths related to road traffic incidents, and 54 apparent suicides following custody. The IOPC also investigated 107 'other' deaths following contact with the police in a wide range of circumstances.

The IOPC report includes the following data:

Of the 18 deaths in or following police custody, 14 people were White, three were Black and the ethnicity of one person was unknown at the time of publication.
11 of the 18 people were identified as having ‘mental health concerns’ and 14 were known to have a link to alcohol/or drugs. Two people were detained under the Mental Health Act.
Eight of the 18 people who died in or following police custody had force used against them either by officers or members of the public before their deaths. Of the people who were physically restrained, six were White and two were Black.
Of the 24 road traffic fatalities, 19 were pursuit related.
Of the 54 apparent suicides, three people detained under the MHA, and 37 had known mental health concerns.
Of the three fatal shootings, two were terrorism related.

Of the ‘other’ deaths following police contact (107):

Six people were under 18.
89 people were White, six were Black, seven were Asian and one person was from an ‘Other ethnic group’. The ethnicity was ‘unknown’ for four people.
Nine had force used against them, of which seven people were White, one was Black and the ethnicity of one person was ‘unknown’.
Half of those who died (54) were reported to be intoxicated by drugs and/or alcohol at the time of the incident or had known issues in this area.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
the UK is racist as hell, thinking otherwise is super dumb

But americans shouldn't even try to bring up police brutality and killings while pointing the finger at others because their stats are completely insane compared to most civilized countries

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DGC773 posted:

Show me a country in the world that doesn't have the police killing people who are committing a crime? UK police are extremely low on the police killing statistics despite being a western country and having a large prison population

Iceland, Switzerland, and Denmark. All countries that the UK modelled itself after and yet have none of the endemic police violence. Now I'm not saying British people (and by association British police) are inherently violent but it's certainly some interesting data to consider.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

DGC773 posted:

The US media never dares asking tough questions of politicans or holding the police to accout. Look at how the UK press questions public officials, it is FAR different to the US they actually ask pushing questions.

*pushing questions only apply to opposition government representatives*

Harry Cole, supposedly some influential journalist, writes the most bootlicking fawning poo poo 24/7 for Boris even though Boris literally hosed and stole his girlfriend.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Iceland, Switzerland, and Denmark. All countries that the UK modelled itself after and yet have none of the endemic police violence. Now I'm not saying British people (and by association British police) are inherently violent but it's certainly some interesting data to consider.

Have you seen the population sizes of those three countries?

Iceland: 360,000
Switzerland: 8,600.000
Denmark: 5,800,000
UK: 66,700,000

UK police rank way way way down there on international rankings when it comes to police deaths. Relative to the US the UK has no problem. People need to stop associating US issues with the rest of the world.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

kecske posted:

*pushing questions only apply to opposition government representatives*

Harry Cole, supposedly some influential journalist, writes the most bootlicking fawning poo poo 24/7 for Boris even though Boris literally hosed and stole his girlfriend.

Hahaha have you seen the daily covid press briefings? Have you seen Hancock get shredded on Sky News? Have you seen how Andrew Neil probe any politician?

Harry Cole is known for his bias, nothing new there.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DGC773 posted:

Have you seen the population sizes of those three countries?

Iceland: 360,000
Switzerland: 8,600.000
Denmark: 5,800,000
UK: 66,700,000

UK police rank way way way down there on international rankings when it comes to police deaths. Relative to the US the UK has no problem. People need to stop associating US issues with the rest of the world.

Let me ask you: How is it that 360,000 Icelandians can solve the problem of police violence while 66,700,000 Brits still struggle with the issue every day? Are Icelandians just so much smarter that it takes a mere 360,000 of them to solve a problem that 66,700,000 Brits cannot?

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Let me ask you: How is it that 360,000 Icelandians can solve the problem of police violence while 66,700,000 Brits still struggle with the issue every day? Are Icelandians just so much smarter that it takes a mere 360,000 of them to solve a problem that 66,700,000 Brits cannot?

Iceland has very high high education rates, very high employment rates, significant social benefits. As well as it being largely a homogenous society I imagine these all lead to it not having a big issue with crime.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
The only thing we can all agree on is that DGC773 is an ignorant gently caress that spouts utter bullshit

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

pnumoman posted:

The only thing we can all agree on is that DGC773 is an ignorant gently caress that spouts utter bullshit

I don't expect my views to be shared by the majority here but atleast I don't resort to personal attacks and am open to debate with anyone.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
gently caress the royal family. Strip them of their lands and titles imo

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DGC773 posted:

Iceland has very high high education rates, very high employment rates, significant social benefits. As well as it being largely a homogenous society I imagine these all lead to it not having a big issue with crime.

Let's use a hypothetical for an example. Let's say there's a suspect in a jewellery heist being interviewed by the police. One of the cops is Icelandian, the other British, and the suspect is a Spaniard.

During the interview the Icelandian cop extracts a confession and cooperation leading to the arrest of a larger organized gang of jewel thieves from the suspect while the British cop beats him to death with an asp.

Why might things have turned out that way?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's too cold in Iceland for their people to go outside to commit crimes. Hope that helps.

Global warming is increasing crime.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Let's use a hypothetical for an example. Let's say there's a suspect in a jewellery heist being interviewed by the police. One of the cops is Icelandian, the other British, and the suspect is a Spaniard.

During the interview the Icelandian cop extracts a confession and cooperation leading to the arrest of a larger organized gang of jewel thieves from the suspect while the British cop beats him to death with an asp.

Why might things have turned out that way?

Ah yes the hypothetical magical event that has neven happened in the modern police force.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

fridge corn posted:

gently caress the royal family. Strip them of their lands and titles imo

:yossame::yeah:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

DGC773 posted:

I don't expect my views to be shared by the majority here but atleast I don't resort to personal attacks and am open to debate with anyone.

Nah, gently caress you, you take absurd positions and make disingenuous arguments all to assert that "nah, it's not US racism so it's not racism."

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

pnumoman posted:

Nah, gently caress you, you take absurd positions and make disingenuous arguments all to assert that "nah, it's not US racism so it's not racism."

Going nuts at someone with a different opinion than you isn't healthy

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

DGC773 posted:

Going nuts at someone with a different opinion than you isn't healthy

Lol that you consider that "going nuts." You're poo poo.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DGC773 posted:

Ah yes the hypothetical magical event that has neven happened in the modern police force.

Wrong! This happened just last year in Belgium.

To answer the question as to why: the British cop was jealous of the Icelandians success in extracting a confession.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Wrong! This happened just last year in Belgium.

We are talking about the UK police here. This entire thread has been comparing the US and UK police.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

pnumoman posted:

Lol that you consider that "going nuts." You're poo poo.

It's okay chill, Accept that people will have different opinions than you. Instead of personal attacks and calling them out why don't draw up a credible argument to convince them they are wrong?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
In the interests of reducing the temperature itt, could I have some nummy bacon points please

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why has no-one stopped the reddit av lunatic from posting a million times a minute lol

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

DGC773 posted:

It's okay chill, Accept that people will have different opinions than you. Instead of personal attacks and calling them out why don't draw up a credible argument to convince them they are wrong?

You literally dismissed a litany of actual media reports with extremely different angles for Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle in the same circumstances and you dismiss it by saying the media is just poo poo to everyone. So if you're not arguing genuinely, why should anyone else you hypocrite poo poo?

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

pnumoman posted:

You literally dismissed a litany of actual media reports with extremely different angles for Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle in the same circumstances and you dismiss it by saying the media is just poo poo to everyone. So if you're not arguing genuinely, why should anyone else you hypocrite poo poo?

I am yet to be convinced of your argument.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why has no-one stopped the reddit av lunatic from posting a million times a minute lol

I'm 99% certain he's prince Andrew

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

So in conclusion:

Royal Family are OP.
The Monarchy is an integral part of British society and should remain so.
The vast majority of the public do not want an elected head of state.
The vast majority of the public support the Queen and the Royal Family.
The issues of police brutality are relatively not an issue for the UK.
Racism in the UK and US are two entirely different things. Both with are rooted in different perspectives and experiences.
The media are twats.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm 99% certain he's prince Andrew

Or just a sad troll

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think we need more personal attacks, not fewer.

for example, i would be unwilling to leave ngc773 alone in a room with a sleeping person, an animal of some kind, or a recently-used excercise bike

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DGC773 posted:

We are talking about the UK police here. This entire thread has been comparing the US and UK police.

We're talking about the out of control violence in the UK police force as demonstrated by a British bobby caving in his Icelandian colleague's skull in out of petty envy. That it didn't happen on UK soil isn't the point.

I don't know of any cases a US cop brutally murdering an Icelandiain cop he was working with in a joint Interpol taskforce. Do you?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
extremely mad GBS guy: there can be no bacon until RACISM IS SOLVED!!!!!!!

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

We're talking about the out of control violence in the UK police force as demonstrated by a British bobby caving in his Icelandian colleague's skull in out of petty envy. That it didn't happen on UK soil isn't the point.

I don't know of any cases a US cop brutally murdering an Icelandiain cop he was working with in a joint Interpol taskforce. Do you?

The Icelandic would not be in the UK anyway. We WON THE FISH WAR

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

"tell.me.youre white without saying you're white"

DGC773 posted:

So in conclusion:

Royal Family are OP.
The Monarchy is an integral part of British society and should remain so.
The vast majority of the public do not want an elected head of state.
The vast majority of the public support the Queen and the Royal Family.
The issues of police brutality are relatively not an issue for the UK.
Racism in the UK and US are two entirely different things. Both with are rooted in different perspectives and experiences.
The media are twats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reddit poster got ran out of the UK D&D thread for being a lovely troll