Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Okay beat dragonslayer armour! :unsmith:

Heck yeah! Maybe you will beat them all before me again, like with Bloodborne :D

Weedle posted:

i have never beaten manus so i would say he is the hardest. hardest in the base game for me is o&s solo or with solaire, which is very intimidating and heart-pounding every single time. i have six ds1 save files on my switch and four of them are right before that boss fight. kalameet is also tough, but somehow the first time i fought him (ng+) i was completely “in the zone” and beat him on the first try. haven’t been able to do it since

Ahh, so both Manus and Kalameet are people yet to meet! OK that is good to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ornstein and Smough was hardest by far but i did put down the game for years thanks to queelag

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Quelaag really stumped me until one of the lovely goons joined me and we distracted her. Goodness she was a toughie.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

Heck yeah! Maybe you will beat them all before me again, like with Bloodborne :D

Watching you play has inspired me again!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Beating Artorias was so satisfying I didn’t even care that I noped away from Manus.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Manus was the biggest road block for me back in the day and I never finished DS1 on 360 because of that, but then I finally beat him on PS4 back in October and boy was that a good time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

wuggles posted:

Beating Artorias was so satisfying I didn’t even care that I noped away from Manus.

Same tbh, I think only beating Father Gascoigne gave me more of a high and I kinda suspect it’s gonna stay that way for the rest of Fromsoft’s career.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
for the uninitiated, capra demon and bed of chaos are tricky. in the base game i'd say ornstein + smough without question, and with the dlc, yeah either manus or kalameet. though personally the boss that took me the longest to defeat was sif because i kept putting the fight off until i had no choice

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1369294448941821957?s=20

The sale is final.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1369294745583771648?s=20

Microsoft's release about it seems to suggest that despite being a Microsoft-owned studio, Bethesda will continue to release some multi-platform games, which makes sense because I think if Todd couldn't port Elder Scrolls, he'd explode.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 9, 2021

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Onstream I made the geekiest most ridiculous noise possible when I beat Artorias. It was the 8th attempt, I think and on my way there from the bonfire I was coming up with these moves I was going to do to best him and I did and I felt like a proper soulser :D

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
VideoGames more like VideoGamer

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VideoGames posted:

I am also intrigued to play Dark Souls 2 and 3 because so many people say they either hate or love 2.
Someone was saying to me that everything about it just feels a few degrees off which I would like to experience quite a bit because that sounds interesting to me.

I'm playing through DS2 now, and it's like, precisely different enough to be aggravating. Like if someone tilted your house just enough that it wouldn't make it unlivable, but you have a vague feeling of vertigo and you forget your pens and pencils will always roll off the table until you try to put a pencil down.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

raditts posted:

I'm playing through DS2 now, and it's like, precisely different enough to be aggravating. Like if someone tilted your house just enough that it wouldn't make it unlivable, but you have a vague feeling of vertigo and you forget your pens and pencils will always roll off the table until you try to put a pencil down.
I'm one of the people who really didn't like it. DS2 has a lot of changes that just made it feel really sloppily designed to me compared to DS1. DS3 is much better in my view precisely because it walks back on nearly all of the changes that I thought were a bad idea.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

VideoGames more like VideoGamer

Put on my tombstone VideoGamed.

raditts posted:

See this is fascinating to me. That everything feels slightly off means I want to experience it so much to see if I can pick up on these things.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

VideoGames posted:

See this is fascinating to me. That everything feels slightly off means I want to experience it so much to see if I can pick up on these things.
Make a list of what you think feels different when you play it and we'll tell you how many things you got right or wrong.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Make a list of what you think feels different when you play it and we'll tell you how many things you got right or wrong.

Well if all goes well tonight, I will be beating DS1 and depending on how much time left in the evening (I am feeling very confident and lucky) I could even start this evening or perhaps Friday. For certain I will be going from DS1 to DS2 immediately. No gaps or anything, so it will be fresh in my mind :D

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Well if all goes well tonight, I will be beating DS1 and depending on how much time left in the evening (I am feeling very confident and lucky) I could even start this evening or perhaps Friday. For certain I will be going from DS1 to DS2 immediately. No gaps or anything, so it will be fresh in my mind :D
I hope you have more fun with it than I did! Want one good, non-spoilery hint to start with? It will make the experience much smoother for you, I guarantee it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I hope you have more fun with it than I did! Want one good, non-spoilery hint to start with? It will make the experience much smoother for you, I guarantee it.

Is this the adaptability thing? A few people have mentioned levelling that up first so if it is that I am aware of it, but if it is not, then I appreciate it, but no thank you.

I find the lost wandering a lot of fun. Plus if I ever do get too confused I can always ask later after stumbling for a while :D

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Is this the adaptability thing? A few people have mentioned levelling that up first so if it is that I am aware of it, but if it is not, then I appreciate it, but no thank you.
It wasn't, no. It has something to do with weapon types, but if you'd rather try things out for yourself, then fair enough!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

It wasn't, no. It has something to do with weapon types, but if you'd rather try things out for yourself, then fair enough!

I plan on dual wielding clubs after my favourite DS1 weapon. :hai: (Someone said I could dual wield last stream and I am sold on that! One big bashyboi!)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's a good choice, have fun with the powerstancing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think i would have liked DS2 more than 1 if it had that same feeling of being a large interconnected world which DS1 nails.

It might not make sense in terms of world design thinking about those environments though.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
It's interconnected, the world is just a hypercube

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Videogames go sorcery aka Easy Mode :smugwizard:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think i would have liked DS2 more than 1 if it had that same feeling of being a large interconnected world which DS1 nails.

It might not make sense in terms of world design thinking about those environments though.
Yeah, the interconnectedness and verticality of Dark Souls 1 is one of the best things about it. That DS2 just doesn't really do that was a disappointment. At least some of the zones look really nice - Majula is the most relaxing zone I've ever seen in a Souls game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Videogames go sorcery aka Easy Mode :smugwizard:

Sorry, once I defeated Bloodborne I made a promise to myself never to pick easy modes again. I must be true to the game. I must take no shortcuts. I must improve and grow. I must gain. I must risk. My victories must be full.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sorcery doesn't really make things that much easier in Dark Souls 2. Ever since Demons' Souls, Fromsoft has been dialling down the relative power of Sorcery and other magic types more and more to make it more equal to a melee build and less of a glass cannon. If you don't go out of your way to exploit it, it's decent but not game-breaking.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

VideoGames posted:

Sorry, once I defeated Bloodborne I made a promise to myself never to pick easy modes again. I must be true to the game. I must take no shortcuts. I must improve and grow. I must gain. I must risk. My victories must be full.

Bearer of the curse, seek powerful souls, that is the only way

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Bearer of the curse, seek powerful souls, that is the only way
Seek seek lest.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm a souls man (trumpet soul-o)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The thing that gets me about Manus is that he's probably the easiest boss to cheese in the entire franchise.

He's still loaded in when you're not in his arena, and the bottomless pit by his fog door lets you look down and see the glow of his eyes. If you pack a bow, the hawk ring, and enough arrows you can chip him to death with no risk.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hey disc room owns. Anyone else play it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

VideoGames posted:

Sorcery (and miracles, hexes, and pyromancy) isn't particularly busted in DS2 compared to strength builds, and largely detrimental in the DLCs. Especially compared to just buying a bow. They are a lot of fun though and respeccing is easy so I'd just play around with it.

RIP Great Resonant Soul

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

VideoGames posted:

Then you might want to reconsider dualwielding bludgeoning weapons in DS2..

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yeah, VG, if you've played Bloodborne and Dark Souls you haven't played a Souls game with respeccing yet. DS2 lets you respec so you can be free to experiment more than you could before.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Looks like we might see what Starfield is on Thursday. Gamebryo lives on!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

raditts posted:

by far DS2's biggest sin was setting up this Zelda torch puzzle in the tutorial area. I think I bothered to light every goddamn torch in the game, hoping finally I'd hear the jingle and unlock the secret door or something. IIRC there were like 2 moments in the game where lighting torches actually change anything and they were both "gently caress you" things like, makes some NPC attack you or just makes you an easier target for enemies type poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's one spot where lightning braziers and carrying a torch will actually benefit you.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah, how could you forget about Norman's area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Real hurthling! posted:

Hey disc room owns. Anyone else play it?

Why would anyone play a game that doesn't cost at least 60 dollars????