Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furism posted:

This game needs a better way to share buildings than Youtube videos. Somebody with some proper Javascript skills could make that real quick!

There are mods that do this, check Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Subjunctive posted:

There are mods that do this, check Nexus.

Ideally a website would be better. You just have a map with squares and you drag and drop blocks in a top down 2D view. Like a floor planner or something.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Not mine

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Azhais posted:

Not mine

gently caress that is awesome.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I never would have thought that dragging a rickety cart full of ore through a forest would end up being the most harrowing journey in video gaming, but here we are

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 9, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azhais posted:

Not mine

Jesus Christ

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Game just needs fire spread now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I never would have thought that dragging a rickety cart full of ore through a forest would end up being the most harrowing journey in video gaming, but here we are

I jogged 25 ore down the mountain but have 500 silver ore in chests at the top on the opposite side from my camp, with desert surrounding 75% of the mountain. I'm not looking forward to this

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Azhais posted:

Not mine

What the gently caress

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

mastershakeman posted:

I jogged 25 ore down the mountain but have 500 silver ore in chests at the top on the opposite side from my camp, with desert surrounding 75% of the mountain. I'm not looking forward to this

Break down your forge and bring the materials up the mountain. Why bring the ore to your base when you can bring your base to the ore?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just put all the ore in a cart and push it off a cliff.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

bus hustler posted:

The second boss is definitely "meant" to be fought with troll hide I think you dont need to get into bronze. Third boss bronze, then the game really opens up into new biomes.

I don't know why anyone would choose to fight bosses a tier down from what you have access to. There's no time crunch to killing the next boss. So unless you want a challenge, just farm up the gear from a biome before you go after that biome's boss.

As far as best available on a per boss basis:
First: leather (though you can have troll hide if you venture into the Black Forest and have some chutzpah)
Second: troll/bronze
Third: Iron
Fourth: Wolf armor, silver weapons
Fifth: Padded armor, Blackmetal weapons

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Because smelting bronze is one of the most tedious jumps in the game and bronze armor isn't better than upgraded troll armor & comes with a movement penalty.

Bronze is definitely in this weird place (as you note in your chart) where it's basically not ever really needed

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Had anyone had any real success with sneaking and backstabbing? Add amusing as it is occasionally backstabbing a berserker for 1000 it seems really bad atm

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly, now that I know you can dig down into the earth to find the full copper vein I don't think its much more tedious to get full bronze/upgrade it than it is iron.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

dogstile posted:

Honestly, now that I know you can dig down into the earth to find the full copper vein I don't think its much more tedious to get full bronze/upgrade it than it is iron.

You need 2 copper and 1 tin + wood/charcoal for each 1 bronze, it's absolutely the most tedious jump. The tiers before and after don't need anything like that.

We are using bronze because we are unable to find ANY crypts in the swamp, but we would have basically skipped it and gone full iron otherwise.

Because goons I want to be clear I'm not saying it's "broken" or "sucks" or anything but it seems pretty obviously true that bronze is a weird rear end grind that doesn't necessarily offer armor "upgrades." Especially since you very likely don't have the belt from the trader yet on all your party members.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 9, 2021

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
I went into the swamp biome with only the bronze shield & mace, fully upgraded trollhide gear and more importantly poison resist potions and decent food and a few hp meads. Didn't expect the smooth ride right into iron gear after the thread and other players put the fear of god into me regarding the swamp biome.

The key to success is finding a nice big swamp with a lot of crypts then terraform a nice place right in the middle and put a decent base there, preferably with a smelter, a portal and maybe a forge if transport is an issue (premake coal). You can transport most -if not all- materials for that through a portal and later just recycle the base and take it back with you. And while you can't portal the ore or the iron, you can equip the armor and suddenly it is not an issue anymore.

Doesn't hurt to bring 2 upgraded or 3-4 unupgraded (if you have the inventory space) bronze pickaxes aswell.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

bus hustler posted:

You need 2 copper and 1 tin + wood/charcoal for each 1 bronze, it's absolutely the most tedious jump. The tiers before and after don't need anything like that.

We are using bronze because we are unable to find ANY crypts in the swamp, but we would have basically skipped it and gone full iron otherwise.

Because goons I want to be clear I'm not saying it's "broken" or "sucks" or anything but it seems pretty obviously true that bronze is a weird rear end grind that doesn't necessarily offer armor "upgrades." Especially since you very likely don't have the belt from the trader yet on all your party members.

The catch with bronze vs. troll armor is that the workbench and forge upgrades are key. You can't really get the last workbench upgrade until a bit later, long after you've left that armor behind.

I agree that the movement penalty hits hard and may make it not worth it.

Leather/bronze/iron/silver/padded match up with the biome progression, troll is this sort of tossed-in armor with both a built-in bonus and lacking a movement penalty that makes it pretty much a full substitute for bronze, depending on which upgrades you have access to unlock.

I would disagree on the grind though, copper and tin are very plentiful. I had the absolute worst grind on iron, I thought I'd never be done. Silver was a walk in the park by comparison.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And after silver you go back to iron, it's very distressing

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Azhais posted:

Yeah that's another weird thing. I'm maxxed out on silver gear with 82 AC, and if there's a use for silver beyond that I've not found it yet. But I still need iron for lots of things, and it's such a slog to go get it, if there's even a place I can.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

bus hustler posted:

Sure, but the amount you need is less. You need 15 bronze to make an helmet, chest and legs. You need 60 for Iron.

Trying to say its tedious is probably more about your actual travelling, not the numbers.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Yeah but by then you should have enough coins to get the 5 Ymir flesh and therefore the Frostner and suddenly you aren't "locked in the swamp with them but they are locked in there with you"!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

bus hustler posted:

Because smelting bronze is one of the most tedious jumps in the game and bronze armor isn't better than upgraded troll armor & comes with a movement penalty.

Bronze is definitely in this weird place (as you note in your chart) where it's basically not ever really needed

The post I've quoted of yours says to farm up bronze armor for Bonemass.

I'm saying don't do this. If you are planning on fighting Bonemass you're in the swamp and have access to iron. Build iron armor and weapons.

I've also seen a lot of gnashing of teeth over 2 copper + 1 tin = 1 bronze. Bronze armor and weapons take less mats to build and upgrade than any other ingot-based armor/weapon class. So make sure to take that in to account.

Scruffpuff posted:

The catch with bronze vs. troll armor is that the workbench and forge upgrades are key. You can't really get the last workbench upgrade until a bit later, long after you've left that armor behind.

This is a thing too. You need Iron and obsidian for the last workbench upgrade to be able to max troll armor. By that point you've blown past the armor's usefulness.

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

Spanish Matlock posted:

Is there a trick to finding the leviathan? Like a certain time of day? We've taken some long and frustratingly lonely ocean voyages.

Are you talking about the serpents or the sea turtles that you can mine barnacles from? If you want the serpents, I wrote a guide about it. Let me know and I'll paste that guide here. For the turtles, they spawn randomly and have a fixed quantity, so you just have to sail around and get lucky.

Pill Clinton fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 9, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Floppychop posted:

The post I've quoted of yours says to farm up bronze armor for Bonemass.

I mean I wasn't trying to make a bold claim about bonemass, sure you can go right to iron. That hasn't worked for out game (haven't found any iron) but sure that's totally intended. Mostly just saying that Bronze is in a very weird place, and isn't needed for the 2nd boss and can be skipped right to iron.

The point is that bronze armor sucks AND is a jump in tedium, especially before you can carry a lot. It triples the time you are standing around smelting, and it also triples the amount of coal you need. These are not as disputable as people are making them. I absolutely refuse to have someone tell me with a straight face that they love standing around for tin and copper to smelt 1 at a time, max 10 stack.

No, finding bronze tedious isn't because of my "actual traveling" which I don't even understand - we are all on different maps. It's a massive jump in tedium and chores for a skippable, unnecessary tier of armor.

My initial post was someone saying they hadn't fought the 2nd boss because they were farming up Bronze, and I basically said "hey you don't need to do that, it's tedious and you can jump right to iron for the 3rd." That's it, that's the post. I am not insulting your fun for feeling that way.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 9, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Azhais posted:

Just put all the ore in a cart and push it off a cliff.

problem is i need to get it to the opposite side of the mountain, or else the cart will end up surrounded by goblins. maybe i can dig a tunnel straight through the mountain (moder shrine on top of it)

I'm actually considering making a circle road around the entire mountain that I could wheel a cart around on flat and level ground, then a path straight from there to base. would be pretty funny

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Break down your forge and bring the materials up the mountain. Why bring the ore to your base when you can bring your base to the ore?

:hmmyes:

in other gear news, doesn't the math on shields make it so that blocking anything in the 4th or 5th biome is a mistake? since they do so much damage per swing, you're going to get your stamina obliterated with a block. im really struggling against just 2 wolves at once since they attack so fast and my iron mace will oftne miss them after the first attack, and going for the 3rd hit gets me hit again if i didnt get a parry off (almost impossible if they didnt attack simultaneously)

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 9, 2021

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

This is a thing too. You need Iron and obsidian for the last workbench upgrade to be able to max troll armor. By that point you've blown past the armor's usefulness.

Yeah that is a thing. But for level 4 you would need workbench 6 anyways (which is currently impossible to get) and you can either mooch a little iron/obsidian from someone else or simply settle for level 2 - which I'd say still works well enough when you instead focus your efforts on poison resist/food and getting a bronze buckler/mace only and learn how to block/parry properly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You're getting real defensive over people pointing out numbers dude. If you don't want to "standing around smelting" do something else while it smelts? It's an automated process. You load it and piss off for a few minutes. Or if you're really cool you just go to sleep and immediately get the whole stack :v:

But I also had four smelters/kilns because i'd been exploring too.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I farmed up a full bronze set because I dug the look of it. Coal was probably the biggest irritant for making those bars. I still haven't gone back and topped off my old sets yet (yeah that's a thing I do) because at this stage the copper is better used for decorations etc.

In fact, the bronze armor in particular looks nice up on the walls.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 9, 2021

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

bus hustler posted:

My initial post was someone saying they hadn't fought the 2nd boss because they were farming up Bronze, and I basically said "hey you don't need to do that, it's tedious and you can jump right to iron for the 3rd." That's it, that's the post. I am not insulting your fun for feeling that way.

Another thing I noticed about the 2nd boss is that everyone is (rightfully) used to use their bow for everything. Why get close to him and risk getting poisoned - we kite and arrow him down just like we did everything up to then, right? But for Bonemass the bow is probably the most useless weapon in the game.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
For iron I had a mining shack and would run over 20 iron scraps to base, feed half in, putter around with food and making coal , feed other half, then run back to the mining shack and grab more from the chest, repeat. Really cut down on the waiting around for smelting even though just taking a cart was eventually what I did anyways

Obviously the best armor is to be like me , wearing a hand me down wolf cloak (so I don't have to pump frost rrsist meads) and troll armor while mining hundreds of silver ore. Why skip bronze armor when you can skip bronze AND iron
Otoh if I miss a parry I have to drink a health potion and that often gets me killed too

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 9, 2021

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Or if you're really cool you just go to sleep and immediately get the whole stack :v:

That sounds really cool, but how does it sync with other players?

milward
Nov 5, 2009

How do I share Steam screenshots easiest? Via uploading them to Imgur?

I play on a server with a few friends and while they where exploring an sailing around I did what I tend to do and got base-building.
My project hit a snag where I canīt finish my moat due to not being able to dig away more than a certain amount of ground so now the new plan is to make a proper trelleborg in the plains and dismantling the old base.

I took some screenshots to document it and while it is not much but I figured I could at least contribute some ideas for someone else.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

Is there a trick to finding the leviathan? Like a certain time of day? We've taken some long and frustratingly lonely ocean voyages.

When you find one, mark it. They'll respawn in the same place, dunno how long it takes though. I think they only show up in ocean biomes, but I could be wrong and it's janky to tell if you're in ocean biome or just above a deep-sea-black-forest.

ChristsDickWorship posted:

I have to agree. I swapped the in-game music out for my own stuff after a few hours, but the first time my playlist ran out I never restarted it and have played the next 35hrs or so with no music. At first I liked that it was creepier at night, then I started getting used to the tiny cues in the distance and now I feel like I'm hurting my survivability if I turn music on and obscure all the sounds.

I love the sounds but they need to really increase the range of the murderflies. By the time you can hear it, there's no time to react, which is super annoying on corpse runs lol. I try to keep enough stamina for an emergency dodge-roll or last second sprint but can't use em if the thing ganks me silently from behind.

bus hustler posted:

The wild thing about bronze is that at first it seems like a huge hassle, but compared to all the next metal's it's actually a breeze. Copper and tin are abundant everywhere and when you want some, you go to it, mine it, walk/cart it back. Finding out we needed iron seemingly after we'd moved on from it was a huge groan moment. Honestly seems like a temporary oversight, that there will either be higher level sources of iron at some point, or just the next tier so you don't have to waste a ton more iron after youve pretty much just replace your previous iron

Floppychop posted:

I don't know why anyone would choose to fight bosses a tier down from what you have access to. There's no time crunch to killing the next boss. So unless you want a challenge, just farm up the gear from a biome before you go after that biome's boss.

I think you definitely want a challenge on the boss, I'm trying to avoid upgrading my armor for this final current boss. We beat every boss first try so far and easily, at that. I think it's 100% because I spent so much downtime making us the best armour and foods available to us. The bosses are pushovers if you're fully geared for that tier. I'm really hoping for a mod or a mode where we can re-summon these bosses for a real fight. I think a fight with all 5 at once would be entirely doable as is currently, barring that I have zero knowledge of what the fifth boss is yet.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 9, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mastershakeman posted:

in other gear news, doesn't the math on shields make it so that blocking anything in the 4th or 5th biome is a mistake? since they do so much damage per swing, you're going to get your stamina obliterated with a block. im really struggling against just 2 wolves at once since they attack so fast and my iron mace will oftne miss them after the first attack, and going for the 3rd hit gets me hit again if i didnt get a parry off (almost impossible if they didnt attack simultaneously)

I block all the time, its only really an issue if you're getting overwhelmed which is a better excuse to run off a bit more than anything. I feel most things try so hard to flank you when you're outnumbered that just circling a little negates half of them

Daggers, despite their damage, are handy for fast attacking things since you can actually get a swing in between wolf hits

Alternately just use a polearm

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

milward posted:

How do I share Steam screenshots easiest? Via uploading them to Imgur?

I play on a server with a few friends and while they where exploring an sailing around I did what I tend to do and got base-building.
My project hit a snag where I canīt finish my moat due to not being able to dig away more than a certain amount of ground so now the new plan is to make a proper trelleborg in the plains and dismantling the old base.

I took some screenshots to document it and while it is not much but I figured I could at least contribute some ideas for someone else.

I just use discord like apparently everyone else.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I kind of wish iron were just nodes in the swamps...even if raiding the crypts just resulted in a McGuffins that let you build an add-on to smelt the iron or something.

The swamp is definitely dangerous enough that forcing people to mine out iron waist-deep in water with things spawning around you has got to be at least as bad as raiding the crypts, except you don't get screwed on RNG world gen if you get a bunch of bad swamps.

Plus, later on, needing that same iron is another slog assuming you didn't clear everything out for the first run.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Would also be nice if defeating the swamp boss made the swamp a little nice afterwards, at least the swamp it's directly in. Keep the hazards, those are fine, but I would love to remove the artificial darkness. Great atmosphere pre-boss, afterwards would own if it brightened up while still being deadly poisonous. Add a croc or something to compensate.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

dogboy posted:

That sounds really cool, but how does it sync with other players?

When every player on a given server is laying down in bed at the same time, the sleep process kicks in for everyone simultaneously and you all load into the game at dawn. I think you can only do it when it is an actual late enough hour in the day where sleep makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Honestly the gear is good and all but the major hurdle for our swamp success was having Poison Mead and Good Food. Meat/Queen's Jam/Honey was good enough until you get Turnips/Sausage/Carrots or whatever.