Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

does xi jinping ever have to answer press questions on what to do about america's border concentration camps or our prisons full of minorities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
iirc China releases a report every year about how much the US sucks in response to the billion white papers about how evil the PRC is

THS
Sep 15, 2017

can we ban everyone who defended the bolivian coup

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

THS posted:

who did that?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

d&d

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Did they find evidence for the millions of deaths in China that wasn't one of the 8 people that religious nutter interviewed? I look forward to some clarity on this issue.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

there is such an obvious and concerted propaganda war against china right now and it is only going to get worse as china’s economy becomes larger that the US. wonder what the range of acceptable opinions will be in a few years. the bounds of what seems normal to punish will shift. apologists for US imperialism, which kills and oppresses many more people, will be unchecked of course

Serf
May 5, 2011

THS posted:

there is such an obvious and concerted propaganda war against china right now and it is only going to get worse as china’s economy becomes larger that the US. wonder what the range of acceptable opinions will be in a few years. the bounds of what seems normal to punish will shift. apologists for US imperialism, which kills and oppresses many more people, will be unchecked of course

at least in c-spam we can still speak the truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKbEaZ-Jnws

e: lmao what the gently caress they won't show the video?? holy poo poo

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Flavius Aetass posted:

who did that?

“How are u” for one, but im not going back to try and unearth all the dogshit discussion because i dont keep a bad-posts.xlsx spreadsheet. are you really questioning there were coup defenders on SA? did you read any of the latin america or geopolitics thread at the time? and you are missing my point anyway, about what is acceptable opinions about mass death and what are unacceptable opinions about mass death. it weirdly lines up with an american state dept point of view

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
anyway just to clarify the line, because it will continue to get more complicated as this ramps up in the news cycle, it is the position of the mod team that what has been happening in Xinjiang province for decades is akin to cultural genocide and that it is Really Bad to deny that. someone who does not have 4 bans in two months will probably not be treated the same as someone who does.

that bring said, a post like gradenko's which limits itself to criticism of a particular source, is not something that I would take moderation action on

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
For real it seems super easy to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt. We're talking about millions of people and the entire western world in a concerted effort to prove they exist, so I'm sure solid evidence is coming any day now and we can put this behind us.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

THS posted:

the venezuela thread was pretty wild, flat out denial of the attempted coup and then operation gideon happened

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

THS posted:

“How are u”

speaking of dipshits that should be forum banned from cspam, why haven't you mods forum banned how r u and gaupo gaucho

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

speaking of dipshits that should be forum banned from cspam, why haven't you mods forum banned how r u and gaupo gaucho

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

anyway just to clarify the line, because it will continue to get more complicated as this ramps up in the news cycle, it is the position of the mod team that what has been happening in Xinjiang province for decades is akin to cultural genocide and that it is Really Bad to deny that. someone who does not have 4 bans in two months will probably not be treated the same as someone who does.

that bring said, a post like gradenko's which limits itself to criticism of a particular source, is not something that I would take moderation action on

what is the position of the mod team on inner mongonlia

THS
Sep 15, 2017

im glad we have two bellingcat ppl with accounts what is the line for agitating for the united states to bomb syria

Serf
May 5, 2011

Flavius Aetass posted:

are there any more positions of the mod team we should be aware of?

Flavius Aetass posted:

very generous, thank u

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

realtalk that's a fair question

I think it is important to seize the opportunity that the occasional trolling affords to make some fine rear end quality posts for the benefit of the greater audience. However, when regulars eat probes for stuff that in comparison is rather tepid/ambivalent, makes seem somewhat disproportionate

like, yeah, I do think using the r-word is not cool because the comrades I work with/know from that front feel it is punching down and, given the particularity of their shared conditions, they are not necessarily able to do something about it like us queers did and still do. but if the rule keeps being enforced the way it has been, well, ought to bring the hammer down far harder and faster in lots other subjects too

(step the gently caress up with the vanguard that's what I am saying)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a propos this note, is there a systematic justification for the 'x-word' method of self-censorship? i understand that it's basically a matter of politeness and i don't really have an issue with that, but i sincerely don't understand if there's a deeper theoretical justification for it (imo it absolutely seems as though there should be from how it's enforced, but idgi)

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

okay, so you're just following orders. fyi, ACAB

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Serf posted:

are there any more positions of the mod team we should be aware of?

very generous, thank u

I know you think that this is a mod inserting himself unnecessarily but that post got reported, like most of that type do, and we have to make a decision. There's no way to please everyone in this forum, sorry.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

I know you think that this is a mod inserting himself unnecessarily but that post got reported, like most of that type do, and we have to make a decision. There's no way to please everyone in this forum, sorry.

so your decision with every gaupo and how r u post is: "this is fine and good actually"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Flavius Aetass posted:

i don't particularly like china, i have no dog in this fight. it's not really about the post its about what is within the acceptable bounds of posting. can we still correctly identify what is being done to the palestinians as apartheid? if the mod team has positions on subjects like these we should know about them. seems only fair to me

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so your decision with every gaupo and how r u post is: "this is fine and good actually"

the mod of coupons is fine with those posts that's ultimately all that matters

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!

Flavius Aetass posted:

i do appreciate that it's a complicated topic

but also this is ultimately an editorial line and that's really funny

ultimately one doesnt want to apologize for a potential genocide. it's sort of understandable to be more comfortable apologizing for a potential propaganda campaign, on the balance.

however, that is a surface level take which i would hope falls apart on examination: it's not excusable to do either. you have to form an actually, not performatively, nuanced opinion which gives weight to the people killed by convenient acceptance of propaganda and the immense cognitive distortion created by a proper propaganda campaign

otoh lazy dismissal of the allegations doesnt really cut it either imo. sadly, proper propaganda forces a response, you cant just high (and/or low) mindedly dismiss it imo

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 9, 2021

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Serf posted:

i don't particularly like china, i have no dog in this fight. it's not really about the post its about what is within the acceptable bounds of posting. can we still correctly identify what is being done to the palestinians as apartheid? if the mod team has positions on subjects like these we should know about them. seems only fair to me

that does seem fair. i didn't mean to make it seem like that was an official ruling, like we all decide how we feel about certain topics, but Xinjiang in particular is something that has been discussed at length because we felt our responses should not be wildly different from mod to mod.

the difference imo is that genocide is a topic that gets people screaming for permabans, and not just your standard d&d types. it really is in everyone's best interest for C-SPAM to not be seen as the genocide-denying forum, but I understand there is a lot of nuance to all of this and I try not to jump the gun on anything.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my personal opinion on them is that every good show needs a heel

Serf
May 5, 2011

personally i see c-spam as the genocide acknowledging forum. nowhere else can we so freely post about the plight of the world's oppressed majority, ground down and exploited under the boot of the usa

Flavius Aetass posted:

my personal opinion on them is that every good show needs a heel

boosted was a good heel. iirc he never told anyone to kill themselves. he just wouldn't wear the hat

if you're gonna moderate you need to identify who is just having good fun and who is genuinely harmful

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If only they'd once chain probed a c-spam mod we wouldn't have to worry about them

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 230 days!
i sometimes wonder whether, in the final heady days of trump, boosted might have wore the hat

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

the difference imo is that genocide is a topic that gets people screaming for permabans, and not just your standard d&d types. it really is in everyone's best interest for C-SPAM to not be seen as the genocide-denying forum, but I understand there is a lot of nuance to all of this and I try not to jump the gun on anything.

this is illustrative for the actual topic of the thread

there's no nuance here, only execution of power because no one is going to be banned for supporting israel or bombing syria

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Brain Candy posted:

this is illustrative for the actual topic of the thread

there's no nuance here, only execution of power because no one is going to be banned for supporting israel or bombing syria

emptyquote

why is support of israel not bannable

Serf
May 5, 2011

hell, why is support of america not bannable? if you're looking for the nation that is responsible for more suffering and death than any other, its this one right here. seems like supporting the usa should be one of the most heinous positions of all

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
are you asking rhetorically or, if you were a mod, would you ban people for those things?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

are you asking rhetorically or, if you were a mod, would you ban people for those things?

hell yeah i'd kill baby hitler

i think we're clearly pointing out how power dynamics work even down to a dead gay comedy forum

Serf
May 5, 2011

Flavius Aetass posted:

i would never be a mod

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Serf posted:

i would never be a mod

also that. let a hundred flowers bloom

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

i say swears online posted:

emptyquote

why is support of israel not bannable

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

hell yeah i'd kill baby hitler

:same:

i think we're clearly pointing out how power dynamics work even down to a dead gay comedy forum

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

lol at the guy who thought tiananmen square wasn’t real, like you can counter cartoonish villain depictions of china w/o just making poo poo up