Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Precisely 3 years after their first episode, the Shrieking Shack podcast has finally completed their readthrough/critique of the Harry Potter series.

https://twitter.com/shriekcast/status/1368969765843136513

If you want to listen to two ex-megafans rip mercilessly into Harry Potter I thoroughly recommend it. The books are far more bizarre and terrible than I'd remembered them - halfway through the series it becomes obvious JK has thoroughly stopped caring about the light, comedic story she's actually decent at and instead used it as a way to fulfill her true dream of writing stupid detective stories about Great Man Albus Dumbledore versus psycho child killers. The hosts are fantastic when it comes to making fun of everything to do with Harry Potter, but also when they need to have a serious discussion about the numerous heinous things JK has done over the years (and they started the podcast out knowing she was a TERF so there's thankfully no Rowling praise or anything).

This is the only podcast I've actually listened to every single episode of. I'm excited for what they'll do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The best Holmes short story is the one where him and Watson break into a house, induce the owner to be savaged by his own dog, and find that the people they came to rescue aren't there, so Sherlock says they better leave quick before the police turn up.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pigbuster posted:

Precisely 3 years after their first episode, the Shrieking Shack podcast has finally completed their readthrough/critique of the Harry Potter series.

If you want to listen to two ex-megafans rip mercilessly into Harry Potter I thoroughly recommend it. The books are far more bizarre and terrible than I'd remembered them - halfway through the series it becomes obvious JK has thoroughly stopped caring about the light, comedic story she's actually decent at and instead used it as a way to fulfill her true dream of writing stupid detective stories about Great Man Albus Dumbledore versus psycho child killers. The hosts are fantastic when it comes to making fun of everything to do with Harry Potter, but also when they need to have a serious discussion about the numerous heinous things JK has done over the years (and they started the podcast out knowing she was a TERF so there's thankfully no Rowling praise or anything).

This is the only podcast I've actually listened to every single episode of. I'm excited for what they'll do next.

Not read HP due to thinking it seemed derivative at the time (and also being in at least college when the marketing that really made it anything took off) but I might give this a go, at least know the story without the effort or giving Joanne any money. 150 episodes though, goddamn. Well done to them ending on a pleasing round number though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I remember the site Ferretbrain (RIP) which dug in critically into Harry Potter's flaccid attempt at trying to being to be adult, and how awful the morals are.

It didn't help that half the final book takes place during a loving camping-trip with none of the supporting cast.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I've read some Sherlock Holmes short stories for the first time recently and my takeaway is that Holmes x Watson is my otp now

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

macabresca posted:

I've read some Sherlock Holmes short stories for the first time recently and my takeaway is that Holmes x Watson is my otp now

I am 100 % certain that this true no matter what Sherlock material one consumes.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The height of hbomb to me will always be that short film where he plays the guy who makes pots.

I was pretty surprised when he popped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXJcQkvRa4

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pigbuster posted:

It's amazing how much better Rick Riordan is as a YA writer and also not a godawful human being

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah I like a lot of the Sherlock video but he's wrong about the original stories being fair play mysteries. The boomerang bit really isn't too far from some of the original stories.

The actual worst "mystery" in the show is the one about the missing train carriage, which goes something like this

London Underground Expert: A person vanished from a train in between two stations, and there's nothing between two stations. I've checked.
much later
Sherlock: What if there was something between those two stations
London Underground Expert: I just checked, and you're right!

It gets overshadows by lots of other stuff happening in the episode but as a mystery it's spectacularly unsatisfying.

There's also The Red Headed League where a reader could guess that there was something up with the whole scheme and that it was designed to get the pawnbroker out of his shop but Holmes' answer to the mystery involves him recognizing a description of a character you've never met before and the location of a bank near the pawn shop.

josh04 posted:

The best Holmes short story is the one where him and Watson break into a house, induce the owner to be savaged by his own dog, and find that the people they came to rescue aren't there, so Sherlock says they better leave quick before the police turn up.

There's one where Holmes figures out that a young woman is being catfished by her stepfather who (along with her mother) had an elaborate scheme to break the young woman's heart so that she wouldn't marry anyone and the stepfather could control her inheritance. Sherlock decides not to tell her about any of this.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Jimbot posted:

I really like his Bloodborne video because it breaks down why that game works so well. It's the best one of those games.

Of course, he had to defend Dark Souls 2 so he's now a hack fraud.

how dare he defend the best dark souls game

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I remember the site Ferretbrain (RIP) which dug in critically into Harry Potter's flaccid attempt at trying to being to be adult, and how awful the morals are.

It didn't help that half the final book takes place during a loving camping-trip with none of the supporting cast.

I don't think you're quite doing it justice. It has none of the supporting cast, but you get to hear about the cool hogwarts adventures the supporting cast are going on second-hand and their story would have made for an infinitely cooler book; but we get none of that. Instead it's three teenagers moodily yelling at eachother and getting lost in the woods for ages until a series of deus ex machina style solutions to their problems come along to move the plot along because they sure as hell weren't going to figure anything out on their own.

And then half the supporting cast dies offscreen, except the like two that die unceremoniously, rather randomly, and the main antagonist basically kills himself because it turns out harry potter really is rubber and he is glue.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You know I never got around to reading Deadly Hallows. Something about books five and six put me off enough that I never got around to it—think I still have it on a shelf somewhere.

This last year has made me feel a lot less guilty about never finishing the series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

I've been listening to the podcasts while I'm at work because they somehow started going two or three hours an episode and that works perfect for me. It's absurd how they can easily rewrite the book to be more interesting with just a few ideas. Like the wedding in Deathly Hallows and how 'Hey, how about since they're not just magic-less boring people they actually put some personality into this beyond oh wow the champagne floats?' Like, everyone just conjures up their own chair and none of it matches or has a set theme, since it's all going on at the Burrow. That's fun.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If it wasn't for Sherlock the ultamately disapointing TV show I would never have bothered listening to the complete sherlock holmes collection on audible or watched a bunch of the classic Jerremy Brett starring adaptations.

I think HBombs vid on Sherlock was kinda like the Plinkett Phantom Menace review, it very eloquently dismantled the show and identified just exactly I didn't like about it. Its true that it didn't have to be a straight mystery show but the show worked best in the vanishingly few episodes where sherlock solves a mystery and didn't at all when it was trying to be smart boy mind games.

Sherlock really did become a complete parody of itself. I still cannot believe they ended the final episode with a Morriarty tease yet again like anyone in the world was capable of giving a poo poo at that point.

Pigbuster posted:

I sometimes fear that my podcast feed is just turning into a spiral of negativity but that does sound like a fun time so I have subscribed lol.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tearing into a book series written by a TERF is never a bad thing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm half tempted to check that podcast out but the way it was worded kinda makes me feel it's just gonna be "lol this is dumb how could we have liked this back then now we are WISE AND OLD AND ABOVE IT ALL" and eh.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

muscles like this! posted:

There's also The Red Headed League where a reader could guess that there was something up with the whole scheme and that it was designed to get the pawnbroker out of his shop but Holmes' answer to the mystery involves him recognizing a description of a character you've never met before and the location of a bank near the pawn shop.

There's one where Holmes figures out that a young woman is being catfished by her stepfather who (along with her mother) had an elaborate scheme to break the young woman's heart so that she wouldn't marry anyone and the stepfather could control her inheritance. Sherlock decides not to tell her about any of this.

I like the one where Holmes uncovers that the murderers are part of the KKK and he's fired up to fight the invisible empire whom he has nothing but contempt for, but then it turns out they had already fled on trans Atlantic ship, and then later that ship sank with all hands and Holmes just sort of shrugs and goes "well, guess that's that".

Though the story about how society should accept interracial relationships and mixed race children was sweet, if a very bizarre and roundabout way of getting there.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hbomb's overlapping conclusion on Sherlock and RWBY is that they're shows that threaten to be good. The resources are there, but the direction is off. A work that is disappointing is worse than a work that is merely bad.

What other media fits the same criteria?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

You know I never got around to reading Deadly Hallows. Something about books five and six put me off enough that I never got around to it—think I still have it on a shelf somewhere.

This last year has made me feel a lot less guilty about never finishing the series.

Just watch the movies. Or don't. It's pretty clear by that point Rowling can't do hard magic systems.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hbomb's overlapping conclusion on Sherlock and RWBY is that they're shows that threaten to be good. The resources are there, but the direction is off. A work that is disappointing is worse than a work that is merely bad.

The Prequel Trilogy.

Oh, look at the time, I have to go and cannot elaborate on that observation, oh well, good luck!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Dias posted:

The Prequel Trilogy.

Oh, look at the time, I have to go and cannot elaborate on that observation, oh well, good luck!

I don't think there's a single person who will defend midichlorians or Jar Jar, but I actually liked the whole political angle with the separatists and the trade federation. It provides a solid backdrop for how Palpatine was able to take power. Could have been handled better, sure, but it's really not as bad as some people say.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I kinda want to listen to the Shrieking Shack but I also took a look at it on Spotify and it's 150 episodes and while they originally start off around an hour or so, they quickly bloat up to two, three, or even four hours long. Some ribbing of HP and Rowling is good fun, but I don't know if it's ~400 hours of investment fun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

I'm half tempted to check that podcast out but the way it was worded kinda makes me feel it's just gonna be "lol this is dumb how could we have liked this back then now we are WISE AND OLD AND ABOVE IT ALL" and eh.

I only joined in about at the end of the Half-Blood Prince so it might've been different in the beginning but even with them having given up on books like, 5 or 6 to 7 the whole vibe is just 'yeah this is just...not a good book.

Most of Deathly Hallows is them going back and finding initial impressions from people when it came out and sharing sympathy for people who thought the book was fake. It feels like a rough draft, which is fair, since Rowling became so famous no editor could stop her.

The podcast is basically just rewriting the book chapter by chapter to make it more interesting since that's a big problem with the last one. That and Rowling constantly just skipping over the interesting parts of the book. Vernon Dursley hates magic and refuses to leave and him and Harry have been arguing about that dozens of times throughout the night until he's finally convinced to leave. They don't go into how, we've already moved past that.

Everyone disguises themselves as Harry as they're flying him out of the Dursley's home and they immediately get ambushed and every other character that's supposed to be protecting him aside for Hagrid disappears for that flying chase.

Sydin posted:

I kinda want to listen to the Shrieking Shack but I also took a look at it on Spotify and it's 150 episodes and while they originally start off around an hour or so, they quickly bloat up to two, three, or even four hours long. Some ribbing of HP and Rowling is good fun, but I don't know if it's ~400 hours of investment fun.

They go into the big Rowling story of the week as well and the movie news and just reading a few fan Fiction entries as well as like this alter-ego poster they're running on reddit trying to get people to think about the other hosed up parts of the book like the fact that Harry owns a slave and didn't free him (Kreacher) and the whole slavery thing that just gets glossed over the entire book. The entire episode isn't just talking about the chapter of the book they're read that episode

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 9, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I don't think there's a single person who will defend midichlorians or Jar Jar, but I actually liked the whole political angle with the separatists and the trade federation. It provides a solid backdrop for how Palpatine was able to take power. Could have been handled better, sure, but it's really not as bad as some people say.

Thus disappointing rather than bad, yeah. Well, it's still bad, but it feels worse because it had a lot of mostly squandered potential.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

DeafNote posted:

I am 100 % certain that this true no matter what Sherlock material one consumes.

I know, but back when Sherlock was airing I was a dumb kid annoyed by the shippers so the joke's on me now

And re: hp chat, I am unable to look at these books objectively now because they were such a huge part of my childhood. Like, I know there are a lot of things that don't make sense in hindsight, and a lot of bad writing, simplistic world-building and all that. But I liked to come back to them from time to time. Well, until last year

macabresca fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 9, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dias posted:

The actual premise is that they were both huge Harry Potter fans as children and growing into adulthood, and now that public (and their own personal) perception if the series has shifted they’re going back and rereading them. I find them to be very fair qnd evenhanded.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

I only joined in about at the end of the Half-Blood Prince so it might've been different in the beginning but even with them having given up on books like, 5 or 6 to 7 the whole vibe is just 'yeah this is just...not a good book.

Most of Deathly Hallows is them going back and finding initial impressions from people when it came out and sharing sympathy for people who thought the book was fake. It feels like a rough draft, which is fair, since Rowling became so famous no editor could stop her.

The podcast is basically just rewriting the book chapter by chapter to make it more interesting since that's a big problem with the last one. That and Rowling constantly just skipping over the interesting parts of the book. Vernon Dursley hates magic and refuses to leave and him and Harry have been arguing about that dozens of times throughout the night until he's finally convinced to leave. They don't go into how, we've already moved past that.

Everyone disguises themselves as Harry as they're flying him out of the Dursley's home and they immediately get ambushed and every other character that's supposed to be protecting him aside for Hagrid disappears for that flying chase.

I fell off super hard after Deathly Hallows 1 (well, more like after Half-Blood Prince, to be honest), so I sympathize with that feeling. Kinda wonder what their takes were on the first three or four books, I've been meaning to reread them since I haven't touched any HP stuff since forever and a half.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah. i feel the same way about the new doctor who show. some are really good ideas and there is some great stuff early on and through out even to today(i assume) but the issue to me is they always lean to hard on the its the "well known foes" all along poo poo or a good idea gets ruined because of later point or because dumb poo poo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Back when Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality first came out I scoffed at it because "look at this DUMB NERD trying to OVERANALYZE a kids book" but I sort of want to give it a fair shake now. Someone tell me if this is a good idea or not.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

I fell off super hard after Deathly Hallows 1 (well, more like after Half-Blood Prince, to be honest), so I sympathize with that feeling. Kinda wonder what their takes were on the first three or four books, I've been meaning to reread them since I haven't touched any HP stuff since forever and a half.

I havent watched the earlier ones myself but they seem positive on them. Big fans of Prisoner of Azkaban is the only one I can say for sure.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Back when Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality first came out I scoffed at it because "look at this DUMB NERD trying to OVERANALYZE a kids book" but I sort of want to give it a fair shake now. Someone tell me if this is a good idea or not.

It's not what you think it is.

It's worse.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

I havent watched the earlier ones myself but they seem positive on them. Big fans of Prisoner of Azkaban is the only one I can say for sure.

That tracks, haha. I was just afraid it was gonna be relentlessly negative considering it's now in vogue to just thrash the series because Joanne sucks, if I wanted that I'd open a HP thread on Book Barn or whatever.

I'm probably gonna check it out later.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The Bee posted:

It's not what you think it is.

It's worse.

Does it at least have trainwreck value?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Does it at least have trainwreck value?

Yes.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dias posted:

They're relatively even-handed, even if occasionally they completely misunderstand some common British phrase and hammer on Rowling about it for twenty minutes.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I don't think there's a single person who will defend midichlorians or Jar Jar

We have such sights to show you.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
I like the Sherlock Holmes where Watson comes into the room and Holmes has his back to him but greets him by name and then tries to get Watson to guess how he knew it was him with his back turned and Watson's like I don't know, you heard my footsteps on the stairs and know me well enough to recognise it? and Holmes is like no I saw your reflection in the kettle in front of me!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I liked Watson's character better than Sherlock's in the few episodes of BBC Sherlock I watched and was sad to find out he basically does nothing but constantly get kidnapped and act like a bumbling fool to make Sherlock look smart. I get that Watson being thick is pretty true to the books, but still.

RareAcumen posted:

They go into the big Rowling story of the week as well and the movie news and just reading a few fan Fiction entries as well as like this alter-ego poster they're running on reddit trying to get people to think about the other hosed up parts of the book like the fact that Harry owns a slave and didn't free him (Kreacher) and the whole slavery thing that just gets glossed over the entire book. The entire episode isn't just talking about the chapter of the book they're read that episode

That's fair, but even if I could skim out ~25-30% of each episode because I only cared about the book bits (and that may not end up being the case) that's still what, ~300 hours of listen? idk it's giving me the same insurmountability vibes as the time I was told I should really get into One Piece, and I'd get through the first two arcs before realizing I still have like another 800 chapters to read and just lose interest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jude Law is the best Watson ever. Freeman is playing Freeman and he's excellent at playing the constantly frustrated, put-upon everyman but I like him far more as Bilbo or Arthur Dent.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Sweet. Looks like I got some new reading material.

Oh dear. New reading material indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Sydin posted:

I liked Watson's character better than Sherlock's in the few episodes of BBC Sherlock I watched and was sad to find out he basically does nothing but constantly get kidnapped and act like a bumbling fool to make Sherlock look smart. I get that Watson being thick is pretty true to the books, but still.

It's not really true to the books though. Watson in the books is a skilled and intelligent doctor who just isn't the genius that Holmes is. He is generally quite competent. Him being portrayed like a bumbling fool is more down to adaptations like the old Basil Rathbone films.