Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

So, when is hangouts supposed to be EOL? Last year? Are they going to finally kill it or will it get an update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, I would like to say that I installed the new google pay and it is indeed as worthless as people in this thread have described it.

Google still wants people to give it data and money without anything in return. Maybe they forgot that they're a big tech company that nobody trusts to do the right thing?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

this is a fantastic article

quote:

For long-term Google users, the new Google Pay is yet another annoying transition they'll have to explain to friends and family. This is an occurrence that's getting more frequent and more annoying in recent years, thanks to similar Google shutdowns of Google Play Music, Cloud Print, Inbox, Works with Nest, the ongoing Hangouts situation, and many others. That's to say nothing of the crazy history of this payment service, which used to be Google Wallet, then Android Pay, then Google Pay, and now it's a totally different Google Pay. [...]

The worst part of it all is that, like the move from Google Music to YouTube Music, there is no reward at the end of this transition. Google is blowing stuff up and making users switch apps and set things up again only because of internal politics and infrastructure concerns. There aren't any great new features to sell people on—it's just Google's constantly shifting priorities reaching into your life to remind you, "This is what being a Google user is like now. You'd better keep up!" It gets exhausting.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

sb hermit posted:

So, when is hangouts supposed to be EOL? Last year? Are they going to finally kill it or will it get an update?

hangouts chat is intended to be their business chat app. hangouts regular is, uh, in limbo, I think. it was supposed to be replaced by something else (duo?), but that didn’t work.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is there an android version of chumby? I just want a small screen for my nightstand I can use as a clock and install sonos controller on

e: not amazon or google hardware

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

is there an android version of chumby? I just want a small screen for my nightstand I can use as a clock and install sonos controller on

have you considered the Facebook Portal, op?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

qirex posted:

this sounds like the only legitimately useful use case for loving widgets

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

this sounds like the only legitimately useful use case for loving widgets
I'm probably going to end up just getting a generic android phone with wireless charging + a stand and physically disabling the mic and cameras

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lol chumby

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I'm probably going to end up just getting a generic android phone with wireless charging + a stand and physically disabling the mic and cameras

i'd go with an android tablet, to be honest. appliance is a reasonable use for those since they're terrible at almost everything else (oled android tablets are amazing for reading in bed at night though). i know you said no amazon hardware but if it's one of the ones you can throw another rom on it might be worthwhile since they're cheap af.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

i'd go with an android tablet, to be honest. appliance is a reasonable use for those since they're terrible at almost everything else (oled android tablets are amazing for reading in bed at night though). i know you said no amazon hardware but if it's one of the ones you can throw another rom on it might be worthwhile since they're cheap af.
I'm probably going to use a 8" fire in the charging stand as the music display in my living room but I wanted something smaller for my bedroom given that it will be less than a foot from my face, I was hoping for a phone sized screen but nobody makes those

I might try to get an ebay ipod touch

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I'm probably going to use a 8" fire in the charging stand as the music display in my living room but I wanted something smaller for my bedroom given that it will be less than a foot from my face, I was hoping for a phone sized screen but nobody makes those

I might try to get an ebay ipod touch

not a bad option but id definitely try and get whatever the most recent iteration is.

there are a lot of android phones of reasonable size that must be pretty cheap by now if it matters though. an older sony, maybe?

probably not worth the cost/trouble ratio, though.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

why don’t you just get an echo show qirex it’s exactly what you are asking for

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

how well do those work if you block any and all connections to amazon at say a router level

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

alexa bad, also I don't think it can sideload apps like you can on the tablets and the whole point of this is to run the sonos controller app

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sb hermit posted:

okay where theyre at with that is that hangouts chat can now do everything hangouts did for most users. i think its still on a server side switch for accounts but from what ive read most users have gotten a prompt to move to the other app and even if you didnt you can use the other app for everything except group chats for some users

even my dumb rear end stopped using hangouts so i cant say for sure

iow its close but theres a lot of stuff that will die painfully and publicly before its done like the site and extension and integration in gmail

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

okay where theyre at with that is that hangouts chat can now do everything hangouts did for most users
they're not bothering with google voice integration, so i'm using it until the last day

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

they're not bothering with google voice integration, so i'm using it until the last day

oh yeah fi and voice users have such a crazy and obviously hacked together situation with hangouts that you cant make blanket statements there

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’ve managed to keep my us number in canada for years and years now because google accidentally opened up canadian voice signups only through activation via the android app for like a week.

i think i read that it’s just available now to sign up tho?

voice was always one of the most frustrating services for me because it’s like they went so far to making such a useful thing and just...let it flounder for years? (i know. google.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FMguru posted:

have you considered the Facebook Portal, op?

these have pretty good hardware for the price but don't seem to have much of a hacking scene

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

mediaphage posted:

it’s like they went so far to making such a useful thing and just...let it flounder for years? (i know. google.)

it was originally a separate company (GrandCentral) that google bought and then did little with.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

it was originally a separate company (GrandCentral) that google bought and then did little with.

right right i remember it being grand central now that you mention it

lol god imagine how much better it would have gotten, continually evolving as its own company

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

it's' a virtual phone number that lets me call and text, what else do i need it to do. i don't even know what my carrier phone number is because i never use it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

butt dickus posted:

it's' a virtual phone number that lets me call and text, what else do i need it to do. i don't even know what my carrier phone number is because i never use it

for one the mobile ui was GARBO for years and years

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It’s pretty funny how the google voice mobile app languished for years and years because it was Not the preferred new google chat app, but it was still the most useful one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Last Chance posted:

It’s pretty funny how the google voice mobile app languished for years and years because it was Not the preferred new google chat app, but it was still the most useful one.

honestly i wonder if kids these days are writing theses on how terrible googles decisions are with this sort of schizophrenic app/service switchery

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

it always seemed to me that google voice or i guess more accurately the collection of technologies and services currently branded google voice could be a really nice product under the control of a company that knew what they were doing

like even before it was generally accepted that google has no vision i thought voice was very obviously something that not only could be a service people would like and even maybe pay for with only a little bit of focus and attention but it was immediately apparent that google had no idea how to do that

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
If Google voice had seamless iMessage like messaging to other Google voice users it would actually be better than iMessage because every user would be guaranteed to have phone number and it would follow you even if you left the country. Add in some spam blocking that att would never do and it could of been the defacto messenger and telephony provider.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

If Google voice had seamless iMessage like messaging to other Google voice users it would actually be better than iMessage because every user would be guaranteed to have phone number and it would follow you even if you left the country. Add in some spam blocking that att would never do and it could of been the defacto messenger and telephony provider.

guaranteed to have a phone number is the worst thing. iMessage/FaceTime works with iPads and macs, which don’t have a phone number. it doesn’t require you to pay a telco just to keep an ID number. it allows kids without a phone account to use it. it doesn’t care about borders.

keep your messaging distinct from the archaic phone system.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there will never be One System To Rule Them All globally because there are two different incompatible paradigms: computer people and phone people.

whatsapp and other things linked to a phone number are suited to people whose primary computer is a smartphone. this is why it's popular in india, south america, etc.

traditional messengers (meaning basically facebook messenger today, barf) are suited to people who use computers and have a smartphone as an accessory. this is why they are popular in the developed world.

that said, google chat back when it was compatible with xmpp was the apex of instant message software and there was no reason to ever develop anything else.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Management posted:

guaranteed to have a phone number is the worst thing. iMessage/FaceTime works with iPads and macs, which don’t have a phone number. it doesn’t require you to pay a telco just to keep an ID number. it allows kids without a phone account to use it. it doesn’t care about borders.

keep your messaging distinct from the archaic phone system.
google voice works on anything with a browser, all you need is internet. i had a friend a while back who couldn't afford phone service and we set him up with google voice so he could still call and text

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

google voice works on anything with a browser, all you need is internet. i had a friend a while back who couldn't afford phone service and we set him up with google voice so he could still call and text

exactly and especially at the time of the grand central acquisition which was 2009. it could easily have been packaged as a replacement for all telephony needs to the computer bound and a bridge to computer messaging needs for people tied to the telephone. it seemed like such an obvious thing to develop even at the time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

exactly and especially at the time of the grand central acquisition which was 2009. it could easily have been packaged as a replacement for all telephony needs to the computer bound and a bridge to computer messaging needs for people tied to the telephone. it seemed like such an obvious thing to develop even at the time

unless you want to mollify phone carriers so they carry your phone os.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's insane how bad google is.

they had a built-in audience since everyone has a gmail account. i can't even remember what the chat you could access in your mailbox was called. gchat? anyway, just use that and release a phone app that's synced and attach it to SMS. iirc back then it was still pretty rare to have SMS you could use from a computer.

slowly add in features like calls, conferencing, video, screen sharing, etc and you'd eventually get something that'd be the defacto standard for video conferencing at the very least. it might even dethrone imessage/facetime for iOS users since you don't need an iPhone/mac. during the pandemic they'd get a billion new users and zoom wouldn't even exist.

it's similar how they have a giant captive audience in youtube that they've squandered. they could've killed/bought twitch and brought it into the fold. artists already post their music to official youtube channels, leveraging that as a place for artists to engage and people to share should've been a no brainer. should've bought rapgenius and integrated it. that might actually be a youtube music service that isn't dogshit

google doesn't want to be a hardware company anyway, as long as everyone's using their services, they don't give a poo poo.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

butt dickus posted:

don’t you need an existing north american number to get a google voice number?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The_Franz posted:

don’t you need an existing north american number to get a google voice number?

no. or you never did but i haven’t had to sign up for a new one in years. in the beginning you could even pick your number by submitting repeated digits.

you need a number for the porting stuff to work but otherwise it can just be used as an internet phone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

crepeface posted:

it's insane how bad google is.

they had a built-in audience since everyone has a gmail account. i can't even remember what the chat you could access in your mailbox was called. gchat? anyway, just use that and release a phone app that's synced and attach it to SMS. iirc back then it was still pretty rare to have SMS you could use from a computer.

slowly add in features like calls, conferencing, video, screen sharing, etc and you'd eventually get something that'd be the defacto standard for video conferencing at the very least. it might even dethrone imessage/facetime for iOS users since you don't need an iPhone/mac. during the pandemic they'd get a billion new users and zoom wouldn't even exist.

it's similar how they have a giant captive audience in youtube that they've squandered. they could've killed/bought twitch and brought it into the fold. artists already post their music to official youtube channels, leveraging that as a place for artists to engage and people to share should've been a no brainer. should've bought rapgenius and integrated it. that might actually be a youtube music service that isn't dogshit

google doesn't want to be a hardware company anyway, as long as everyone's using their services, they don't give a poo poo.

the only thing saving us from google's terrifying monopoly is their sheer incompetence and complete lack of institutional interest in anything outside of advertising

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

the only thing saving us from google is their sheer incompetence

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

no. or you never did but i haven’t had to sign up for a new one in years. in the beginning you could even pick your number by submitting repeated digits.

you definitely need an actual phone number now to sign up for google voice, i just did it, after seeing someone dealing with their number being fraudulently ported from their sim, and realizing that i should have a backup phone number with which to talk to my carrier, set up before actually needing it, because the situation i would try to fix (give me my number back) would also preclude me from signing up for google voice at that time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

crepeface posted:

the unfortunate part is that they do but are still not succeeding