Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Slugnoid posted:

This reminds me of an old story I heard at work years ago. Two old ladies that lived next door to each other, both roasted in their showers by a current that managed to travel through the lights into the rebar in their shower floors and then through the wet tiles into their bodies.

This article about it is worth a read, it's some final destination poo poo.
https://masterelectricians.com.au/dead-but-still-live

That certainly is an unfortunate chain of events.
A builder fires a nail into the floor, inadvertently penetrating the lighting conduit.
Someone later hooks up a washing machine but leaves out the sealing washers on the water hoses.
This leaking water soaks into the grouting on the wet room floors, making them conductive enough, in combination with the wire reinforcement, to energise the floor, but only when one of the garage light switches is in the "on" position.
The occupants of the two units are then killed when touching the shower fixtures while standing on the energised floor.

It makes you wonder how long the floor had been in that conductive condition before the switch happened to be in that position when the victims tried to shower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah okay alright I'll call a professional to deal with my wiring

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Thankfully nowadays you wouldn't get an occupancy permit for a house without a safety switch or the concrete slab being earthed, but in older houses you just never know whether there's 240 volts flowing through the rebar under your feet lol.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

Yeah okay alright I'll call a professional to deal with my wiring

OSHA IV: Yeah okay alright I’ll call a professional

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Me during this frustrating video

https://i.imgur.com/BhPMJ2B.mp4

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cartoon Man posted:

That's a success story if this thread ever had one.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/Neon_woof/status/1368961123714797569

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cartoon Man posted:

Seconded

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Gonna wash this down with the sarcophagus juice

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

spicy orange flavoring

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The simpsons lied to me, I always assumed plutonium was green. :mad:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Wait, holy poo poo, does plutonium normally look like it is glowing red hot?! :psyduck:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Wait, holy poo poo, does plutonium normally look like it is glowing red hot?! :psyduck:

Yes because its actually glowing red hot.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I think I was meaning to ask if it was normal for it to be glowing red hot? Did it just come out of the plutonium furnace or is it hot because of radiation?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Radiation, and also pure plutonium ignites in the presence of oxygen. Could be one or the other or both. Plutonium 238 in particular heats up from radiation.

Green associated with radiation comes from old radium watches and other consumer devices. The green glow actually comes from phosphorus which glows green in the presence of radiation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That's Pu238, which is used in radiothermal generators and has a power of about half a watt per gram. Pu239 has a half-life about 300 times longer and self-heats about that much less.

FogHelmut posted:

Radiation, and also pure plutonium ignites in the presence of oxygen. Could be one or the other.

A big solid chunk of plutonium isn't going to ignite in the atmosphere. Chips, turnings, powders of it can ignite, but the same can be said of aluminum or even iron. You need high surface:volume ratios for that to happen.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 9, 2021

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I think I was meaning to ask if it was normal for it to be glowing red hot? Did it just come out of the plutonium furnace or is it hot because of radiation?

Radiation. They use this cool property of plutonium to make really long lasting compact and durable power sources for satellites too.

^^^:mad:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

FogHelmut posted:

Radiation, and also pure plutonium ignites in the presence of oxygen. Could be one or the other or both. Plutonium 238 in particular heats up from radiation.

Green associated with radiation comes from old radium watches and other consumer devices. The green glow actually comes from phosphorus which glows green in the presence of radiation.

Wow that's amazing and scary at the same time. I wonder how they keep it safe in the bombs.

e:

Zudgemud posted:

Radiation. They use this cool property of plutonium to make really long lasting compact and durable power sources for satellites too.

Thanks!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Wow that's amazing and scary at the same time. I wonder how they keep it safe in the bombs.

it's not safe, it triggers a chain reaction and large explosion actually

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Wow that's amazing and scary at the same time.

Pu239 is nowhere near as radioactive as Pu238 and will not self-heat to that extent. A big lump of metal isn't going to be pyrophoric, only small fragments, and you don't find those in a bomb. You do find them in nuclear weapons production facilities where they have caused serious fires.

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/5156223

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 9, 2021

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

e:

Thanks!

They had a demon of a time figuring it out.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Pu239 is nowhere near as radioactive delicious as Pu238

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Phanatic posted:

Pu239 is nowhere near as radioactive as Pu238 and will not self-heat to that extent. A big lump of metal isn't going to be pyrophoric, only small fragments, and you don't find those in a bomb. You do find them in nuclear weapons production facilities where they have caused serious fires.

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/5156223

Plainly Difficult has a pretty good little video about the plutonium fire at Rocky Flats - https://youtu.be/PhnmmdoC2VY

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Gotta say, as a cook I've worked in some badly run places but I was never in danger of a radioactive isotope starting fires around me.
:supaburn:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Soylent Pudding posted:

They had a demon of a time figuring it out.

Boooooo

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Zudgemud posted:

:thunk:

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

ram dass in hell posted:

it's not safe, it triggers a chain reaction and large explosion actually

then explain how they plan to ship the components and technicians undetected into enemy territory, and manage to assemble it and without killing the crew

explain that mister scientist :smug:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

By popular demand posted:

Gotta say, as a cook I've worked in some badly run places but I was never in danger of a radioactive isotope starting fires around me.
:supaburn:

That you know of, anyway. :ninja:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Right on topic, check out Harold McCluskey, survivor of a plutonium accident at Hanford in the 70's and often called the most irradiated man alive or something.
He was working in a glove box which exploded and embedded radioactive glass and Americium into his body. He lived for quite a while after.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

TotalLossBrain posted:

Right on topic, check out Harold McCluskey, survivor of a plutonium accident at Hanford in the 70's and often called the most irradiated man alive or something.
He was working in a glove box which exploded and embedded radioactive glass and Americium into his body. He lived for quite a while after.

Maybe he shouldn't have tried to jam his entire body inside a glove box.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

EasilyConfused posted:

Maybe he shouldn't have tried to jam his entire body inside a glove box.

it was only his dick iirc

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qpov17ex7d1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qpovc6WxLX1r0uzl6.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

jesus gently caress

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

This non-glowing plutonium is substantially more dangerous and this photo prompted congressional hearings. Can you spot the problem?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lmao little close for comfort maybe.

I believe the term is critical geometry.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's fine, they have little bumps to stop them from rolling

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

This non-glowing plutonium is substantially more dangerous and this photo prompted congressional hearings. Can you spot the problem?

These are a nice shape you could scoop them all up in one hand!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I think it was under an insulating blanket immediately prior to the photo.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gently caress SNEEP posted:

These are a nice shape you could scoop them all up in one hand!

I dare you to juggle them all in the air!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zudgemud posted:

Also, the railroad crossings along that road have previously had trains come without the warning lights flashing too.

Back when I was getting my license, the instructor (an awesome older guy who had been running a driving school with his wife for ages) gave me the best driving advice I have ever gotten:

"With crossing lights, always remember that they were ordered from the cheapest possible manufacturer by a poor and penny-pinching country".

Never trust the lights with your life, always take the time to look.