Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
British racism is extremely subtle. One time a drunk man staggered up to me at a Spoons, having heard my accent, and asked, "Are you happy about the black man?" It took me a while to figure out he meant Obama.

Another time my husband and I were enjoying a nice trip to ASDA when a random person asked us where we were from, then complimented us for not being Polish. I guess that's not racism so much as just being disgusting, however.

e: I've had poo poo from American border guards (I'm American) and Spanish border guards. I also once got told, for no apparent reason, that a random Customs officer at Toronto Pearson didn't have to let me back into the country if she didn't want to. This was in response to looking at my valid student permit. I just said "Okay" in a calm voice because I didn't feel like going back for spring semester, anyways, but sadly she picked her wedgie or whatever was bothering her and I was graciously allowed to re-enter Her Majesty's Moosepile.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Border guards are nasty pretty much everywhere, in my experience, even to small countries whose GDP is almost entirely provided by tourism. And I'm white enough that the Royal Family wouldn't give me guff about baby skin color risks.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it doesn’t have to be either or, uk is a faded racist empire, us is currently fading out, whoever goes next will be racist shits too because history

also meghan and gary are kind of lame and annoying but i enjoy that they are making GBS threads on the absurd anachronistic poo poo show that is the british royal family and by extension the class and colonial system

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Another time my husband and I were enjoying a nice trip to ASDA when a random person asked us where we were from, then complimented us for not being Polish.

lmao

E: I would also like to congratulate you on not being Polish. Nice job!

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 9, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gentle Autist posted:

it doesn’t have to be either or, uk is a faded racist empire, us is currently fading out, whoever goes next will be racist shits too because history

The gently caress does this mean?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

let's all move to new zealand, the good country

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Hey folks, our empires are fading and the degree to which they are excuses our racism lmao"

-- Gentle Autist

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

British racism is extremely subtle. One time a drunk man staggered up to me at a Spoons, having heard my accent, and asked, "Are you happy about the black man?" It took me a while to figure out he meant Obama.

Yea I think its really like a deep ingrained dislike of those who just aren't British in the older generation and a superiority complex that comes from being an ex empire. Like I don't think there are more blatantly "I hate black people" in the UK than any other EU nation, not in my experience where I've seen just blatent hatred of other races in Spain, France, Poland to name a few. But there is in the over 50s for sure a distrust and dislike of foreigners hence brexit being largely successful because of their voting power. I think the younger generation in the UK, meaning say those born in the mid late 80s and above are mostly pretty drat culturally diverse and open more than really most EU countries but as it is with all counties it depends on how mixed their communities are and the generation you look at.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

quote:

a superiority complex that comes from being an ex empire.

...I've got something for you.
It's a gigantic loving box with racism written on the tag.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who invented indie girl singing voice. Was it the royals? They must be punished

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hakimashou posted:

He is gonna get the IRA to blow up the whole royal family while he is safe in America and come back and be king imo.

Inshallah

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Piers Morgan losing his job has me lolin'

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Racism in England is very subtle, like when a majority of them voted to leave the European Union in order to keep smelly foreigners from stealing their hard earned shillings.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

jet sanchEz posted:

Piers Morgan losing his job has me lolin'

He walked off the set like harry and meghan except instead of being chased off by racism and sexism he ran away from his own reaping. What a limp noodle.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
In exchange for Prince Harry, the UK can have James Corden back.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
How long until the queen "Epsteins" Oprah?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

univbee posted:

Border guards are nasty pretty much everywhere, in my experience, even to small countries whose GDP is almost entirely provided by tourism. And I'm white enough that the Royal Family wouldn't give me guff about baby skin color risks.

The only nice border guards I’ve talked to were in the Netherlands. We left Schiphol on a 8 hour layover explicitly to go do drugs and the border guard knew exactly what were up to and was like “have fun!” And then I came back higher than I’ve ever been before and nobody bothered me.

We also went to London and it was just fine. I don’t think I would go back on my own.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Extra Large Marge posted:

In exchange for Prince Harry, the UK can have James Corden back.

We don't want him. We have just given Piers a reason to return the US, have that.

To be fair here I really doubt it would have been Phil the Greek (spitting image wouldn't lie to me), it is just too subtle for him. He would be capering around making monkey noises pretending to throw a spear.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
And Harry is a pet name for man called Henry. If you can wrap your head around that.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

let's all move to new zealand, the good country

NZ has their own racism issues

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

el dingo posted:

NZ has their own racism issues

Well duh if everyone thinks it’s the best country it will become an empire, which is the thing that causes racism apparently

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I mean, it’s pretty hard to have an empire without some form of exploitation, so racism does seem like a natural bedfellow

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It's why you need to have a commonwealth instead. Where everyone is just bloody chuffed to be involved. No racism or anything like that.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Collateral posted:

And Harry is a pet name for man called Henry. If you can wrap your head around that.

extremely alan rickman voice intoning henry...potter

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

"Hey folks, our empires are fading and the degree to which they are excuses our racism lmao"

-- Gentle Autist

no dumbass im saying the racism is bullshit and terrible but consistent throughout history

pissing matches about which country is more racist is totally irrelevant, both places have hosed up levels of racism as does almost everywhere so instead of trying to excuse your way out of it by saying hey at least the UK doesn't murder people as often as the US or at least the US doesn't have a loving monarch and nobility is worthless

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In my country" Harry" refers to a stereotype of rednecks/chavs who spend all their money on moonshine, smuggled tobacco and cars. And they all love "dance music" which is like line dance music but shittier. If you see someone wearing tacky clothes or behaving in a crude manner you say"That`s so Harry!"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i couldn't help laughing a little when an american border guard asked me if i wanted to live in the USA and he searched all my bags for drugs even though I was a 17 year old travelling with my mum and little sister.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I don't even think I had to talk to a border guard when I went to the UK in 2019.

Flew in to Heathrow, scanned my Commonwealth passport at an automated gate and...I think pressed a couple "I am not doing any crimes" buttons on a touchscreen and that was it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I worry that you lead a hard, unrewarding life Mr Luxury Yacht.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I worry that you lead a hard, unrewarding life Mr Luxury Yacht.

Berthing fees are through the roof these days I tell ya!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i wonder how pissed off the royals really were that they gave their son a modern day name

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah they should have gone for Ælfweard or Æthelstan, maybe Eadwig or X Æ A-Xii.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So have we decided whether or not racism exists in the UK?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the royals are racist shitbags lol

they don't even loving hide it

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Who What Now posted:

no now probated poster dg whatever explained that theres no racism only mass pedophilia i think

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Who What Now posted:

only against white males

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

our government racism watchdog said that racism against english people is a big problem in wales and scotland, and that anti-semitism is a big problem on the left, so i guess there is some racism in the uk

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there is a pervasive and corrosive racism against the english.

these days,

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I just assume black people with english accents are from wakanda or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
decades of tabloid diarrhea has probably the majority of people in the UK convinced racism isn't a problem because the minorities are on the pig's back, actually :bahgawd: