Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Morrison's run for me is very much "is the story good? Okay I'll like it and ignore the odd characterization" territory for me. The platonic opposite of A vs X where I don't think Bendis even made it to the end of Dark, Phoenix let alone read anything about the character after, and I loving hated the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
A vs X is terrible, but I kinda liked Scott as a supervillain. It was a good way to get him out of his boy scout bullshit

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

OK, Arcade legit seems creepy while still being realistic enough for the sort of shenanigans he usually does. His interactions with Sinister were gooood. Hellion is hella good.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Saoshyant posted:

OK, Arcade legit seems creepy while still being realistic enough for the sort of shenanigans he usually does. His interactions with Sinister were gooood. Hellion is hella good.

Confirm?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I really dislike dental horror but this was a fun take on Arcade

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

I really dislike dental horror but this was a fun take on Arcade

Yeah Hellions was great. It might have surpassed Marauders as my favorite book.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

At this point for me it's Hellions and X-Factor pretty much neck and neck.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I don't know how would my ranking of current X-Books would be, but I'm sure that Hellions will be close to the top spot.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Cable is ending at issue 12. Hopefully whatever Duggan is cooking up is even better.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Angry Salami posted:

"Other people were writing terrible stories so I did the same thing but turned it up to eleven" isn't really a great excuse.

(And Morrison's run already had Cassandra Nova as a genocidal supervillain who's seemingly motivated by nothing other than evil, so it's not like his take on Magneto really brought anything new to the table, even in the context of his own work...)

The literal last arc before Morrison took over was about Magneto having public torture crucifixions, ethnically cleansing Genosha, and attempting to genocide the earth. Morrison wasn't taking anything that wasn't already part of the character. In fact Morrison's portrayal was explicitly a take down of the characters then modern portrayal and is even called out as such in-story. And Cassandra Nova explains her motives in the literal first scene she's in. She's a different post-human species that is competing with mutants for the position of apex predator. She even uses the example of how Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens both branched from Homo Erectus and fought each other who got to be it's successor. That and she personally hate Charles for killing her in the womb.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Confirmed

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
It's been said before but I'll say it again. Sinister needs a standalone series

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah Hellions was fantastic. I like how this series really plays with how loving kooky so many X-villains usually are.

I mean, it sucks for this team, but hey they're getting a lot of mileage out of schadenfreude here.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Sinister is an rear end in a top hat, confirm?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cloks posted:

Confirm.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Cloks posted:

Sh-should I confirm?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sinister should bookend every X book with sass and gossip from other books

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sinister should bookend every X book with sass and gossip from other books

Oh god, those "Sinister's Secrets" from I think HoxPox were so loving good.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Everyone bitches about having to suspend belief that every mutant fell into line with Krakoa but to me, the fact that they handed a team of some of their most damaged people off to a narcissistic, lying, and frankly insane villain is far more outlandish.

And it loving rules.

But really... the entire premise of that (very, very good book) makes you accept that Xavier and Co. would be like "Yes, MR. SINISTER, please do your best to help Nanny and one of my oldest students and a mutant mass murderer and this sociopathic kid!"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

All the Sinister stuff was great but a couple of questions about Hellions.

1. So Mastermind is being coerced to work for Arcade so his daughter is kept safe? Does... he not know she can be resurrected?

2. Why is no one talking about the best part of the issue, which is Wolverine making GBS threads his pants in Wild Child's hallucination. "OH HELL NO! It's Wild Child. The BIG DOG!" made me cackle.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cartridgeblowers posted:

1. So Mastermind is being coerced to work for Arcade so his daughter is kept safe? Does... he not know she can be resurrected?

I have to assume there's a triple cross being set up, said daughter has the same illusion powers too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, Arcade can still torture Mastermind's daughter. That's not something the rezzes can fix unless they go to an earlier backup, which is kinda of an icky notion.

I'm more surprised that he even cares about her as a father, but then, I haven't read much of their interactions, if any.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

To my knowledge this is the first time he's been shown interacting with either of his daughters, I think they both post-date his original death, and he stayed dead for a pretty long time god bless him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cartridgeblowers posted:

All the Sinister stuff was great but a couple of questions about Hellions.

2. Why is no one talking about the best part of the issue, which is Wolverine making GBS threads his pants in Wild Child's hallucination. "OH HELL NO! It's Wild Child. The BIG DOG!" made me cackle.

Because the superior Wolverine gets embarrassed moments were in Runaways this week.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I couldn't help reading this as Micheal Cole calling Roman Reigns and I was equal parts amused and disappointed in myself.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1148405764244963329?s=20

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Codependent Poster posted:

Because the superior Wolverine gets embarrassed moments were in Runaways this week.

Canonical Height Wolverine is the best Wolverine there is.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I couldn't help reading this as Micheal Cole calling Roman Reigns and I was equal parts amused and disappointed in myself.

I did the exact same thing :laffo:

What a corny line. I love it.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Is it just me or does Psylocke Hellions 10 remind anyone of New Mutants annual Betsy?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I've been reading too much Hickman and now I keep wanting to do the snarky em-dash italicized asides--which annoy me, because they look weird and don't flow naturally, but they do at least jump out at you--in my own writing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wanderer posted:

I've been reading too much Hickman and now I keep wanting to do the snarky em-dash italicized asides--which annoy me, because they look weird and don't flow naturally, but they do at least jump out at you--in my own writing.
You can put it in the toolkit for characters with colliding trains of thoughts, or who are monologuing assholes.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

If giant-sized is 30-35 pages (current run) and 48 pages (past runs), how many pages is planet-sized?!

Anyway, it's Gerry Duggan so I'm in.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

poo poo's so big it won't even fit your LCS!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I'll read 48 pages of grocery shopping lists if Pepe Larraz were drawing them, but I don't like calling something "planet-sized" if it's only twice as long.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
that's an intimidating team. I mean, just Jean and Magneto alone, but then you have Storm and iceman?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soonmot posted:

that's an intimidating team. I mean, just Jean and Magneto alone, but then you have Storm and iceman?

It's a team that could destroy a planet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

If giant-sized is 30-35 pages (current run) and 48 pages (past runs), how many pages is planet-sized?!

Anyway, it's Gerry Duggan so I'm in.
https://www.cbr.com/planet-size-x-men-hellfire-gala/
From the announcement, I'm not sure if I like this bit.

"The Hellfire Gala will unfold over twelve titles and twelve stories, all focused on a single night that will not only announce the first team of Krakoan X-Men to the world, but also reveal the startling plans that mutantkind has in store for the Marvel Universe."

Sounds like it could be really tedious when something happens in the second issue we want to see the repercussions of, but those won't be apparent until the next day and there's another 10 issues to get through before the sun comes up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

https://www.cbr.com/planet-size-x-men-hellfire-gala/
From the announcement, I'm not sure if I like this bit.

"The Hellfire Gala will unfold over twelve titles and twelve stories, all focused on a single night that will not only announce the first team of Krakoan X-Men to the world, but also reveal the startling plans that mutantkind has in store for the Marvel Universe."

Sounds like it could be really tedious when something happens in the second issue we want to see the repercussions of, but those won't be apparent until the next day and there's another 10 issues to get through before the sun comes up.

Sounds like it will be one issue for title and maybe some one shots.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Sounds like it will be one issue for title and maybe some one shots.

It says it will be twelve issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Maybe one issue of each regular title? How many of them are there now? Lemme see, X-Men, Factor, Force, New Mutants, Wolvie, Excalibur, Cable, SWORD, Marauders, Hellions - that's ten, unless I missed one. So Planet-Sized, one issue of the regular titles, maybe an endcap one-shot?