Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Weren't there 'ACTUALLY THE SOPRANOS ISN'T THAT GREAT IT WAS JUST GROUNDBREAKING FOR ITS TIME' takes circulating around for a bit? I'm re-watching and can say it is still great.

It is also much funnier than I remember. With one huge exception: having gotten older, Tony's mom is horrifying to me whereas my younger self found her much more comical.

Does anyone know what Monsignor Jughead means? The delivery of that line was hilarious but never understood the reference.

Yeah, it's been said many times before, but it's remarkable how funny this show is without compromising any of the dramatic beats. It can go toe-to-toe with most comedies, I think.

"I'll have time to write my memoirs" just completely swept my legs out from under me, I was not expecting such a laugh after such a heavy scene, and goddamnit somehow it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I must be loyle to my capo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Weren't there 'ACTUALLY THE SOPRANOS ISN'T THAT GREAT IT WAS JUST GROUNDBREAKING FOR ITS TIME' takes circulating around for a bit? I'm re-watching and can say it is still great.

You see that Hot Take on Twitter alongside the similarly bone-headed 'Martin Scorsese celebrates the gangster lifestyle' (which is why Henry Hill ends up on top of the world and happy to be free of the mob) from time to time. I think it's mostly just attention seeking as people have either made up their minds The Sopranos Was Bad Actually without having seen it or they know it's a dumb bogus claim that's dynamite fishing for engagement.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One of the best examples of tragicomedy in the series (and in the history of television) is Christopher’s intervention.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

You see that Hot Take on Twitter alongside the similarly bone-headed 'Martin Scorsese celebrates the gangster lifestyle' (which is why Henry Hill ends up on top of the world and happy to be free of the mob) from time to time.

There's a commentary track on one of the goodfellas special editions that features the irl henry hill and the handler who got him into witness protection and it's pretty fascinating. The most interesting thing is that hill really actually did sound quite glad that someone got him out of the mafia. Over and over he talks about how he was a stupid kid who got wrapped up with it, and even says "god bless the U.S. government" for getting him out.

I think that at some point in time, Hill hosed up and got kicked out of WPP but I can't remember if that's before or after that track would have been recorded.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

It is also much funnier than I remember. With one huge exception: having gotten older, Tony's mom is horrifying to me whereas my younger self found her much more comical.

Does anyone know what Monsignor Jughead means? The delivery of that line was hilarious but never understood the reference.

Monsignor is a fancy-pants honorific used in the church or something, and Jughead is a famously gluttonous character from Archie Comics.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of the best examples of tragicomedy in the series (and in the history of television) is Christopher’s intervention.

dizgustin'

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
gently caress that, let him take his medicine.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I said my piece.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i like that the intervention was instigated because Chrissy nodded out atop Adriana's purse dog.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

uber_stoat posted:

i like that the intervention was instigated because Chrissy nodded out atop Adriana's purse dog.

She musta crawled under there for warmth.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Livia is a loving nightmare, an absolute black hole of a person. I had the exact same reaction on rewatch. Nancy Marchand slays it.

We all know a Livia or two.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

even if she is one of the most vicious persons on the show, I still can’t help but chuckle at the “Oh I have plenty of shame. Believe me. You don’t wanna know what I’m ashamed of” snipe

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Janice was a better match for Livia than Tony, which is why she looks legitimately concerned at times, and calls Carmela (after not speaking to her for over a year) to warn her.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Someone mentioned it much earlier in the thread already, but one of my favorite little touches with Livia is how much effort she puts in to being toxic. Like the scene where Tony brings her macarons and she instinctively reaches for one because she actually does love them and it's a genuinely thoughtful gift, and has to consciously stop herself and pretend she doesn't like them just to make Tony feel bad.

It's such a tragedy that Nancy Marchand died early; primarily because it's always sad when people die, but also selfishly because she was so so good on the Sopranos

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

Livia is a loving nightmare, an absolute black hole of a person. I had the exact same reaction on rewatch. Nancy Marchand slays it.

We all know a Livia or two.

like my mom. :cursed: rip. seriously though, some of the poo poo Livia says triggers the poo poo out of me.

to mom's credit she never did try to have me whacked.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The only thing that stops Janice being Livia is her hatred of Livia. imho

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my absolute favorite comedy moments from the show, it just comes completely out of nowhere and it killed me the first time I saw it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUdZhMsSZcA

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
On a recent rewatch the “I have cable” line from Corrado slayed me. He’s so proud. And IIRC Bobby’s kids were complaining he didn’t have it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

There's a minor bit in there that shows how much of a monster Paulie actually is under the Brylcreem and Coup De Villes. When he asks why Chris killed the dog, he asked if it was barking, like killing it would be rational then.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh yeah Junior has incredible comedic timing. I love his and Bobby's background acting in the JAAACKET scene. the "dear vice president cheney" scene killed me too but i suppose technically the other actor is doing the talking in that scene.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fuckin queers! Is the funniest thing in the history of television.

Tony might not have had the makings of a varsity athlete, but Bacala did

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

codo27 posted:

Fuckin queers!

get out my way and don't be so gay! meow!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I’ve recorded in Denmark is the best worst flex ever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's such a tragedy that Nancy Marchand died early; primarily because it's always sad when people die, but also selfishly because she was so so good on the Sopranos

God, if they had had Nancy Marchand the entire run of the show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
“She was abusive to the staff!”

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, it's been said many times before, but it's remarkable how funny this show is without compromising any of the dramatic beats. It can go toe-to-toe with most comedies, I think.

"I'll have time to write my memoirs" just completely swept my legs out from under me, I was not expecting such a laugh after such a heavy scene, and goddamnit somehow it worked.

Better than most comedies imo, and its not even trying to be one

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-BwwoS9Fo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

PostNouveau posted:

God, if they had had Nancy Marchand the entire run of the show.

I can't help but think it would've been completely different. I'm happy with what we got but it's interesting to think what could have been.

I think we'd have lost a lot of characters and/or antagonists. Tony B, probably. Phil maybe?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I lol'd at the shot of Anthony Jr absent-mindedly biting a pear after he spilled the beans about Tony's therapy to Livia

it's little moments like that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I still remember how energized Livia got when she was telling AJ how life's all a big nothing.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

but he's an actual child at that point, so there's no reason he should've thought twice about it or assume he told her a massive secret

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I lol'd at the shot of Anthony Jr absent-mindedly biting a pear after he spilled the beans about Tony's therapy to Livia

it's little moments like that

I can't find the scene but there's a part where Janice screams and he's plugging his ears.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s when Janice comes back at the beginning of season two because she and Tony and Barbara hadn’t seen each other in at least a decade.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC-6Rrjmjes

I forgot what makes it even funnier is that Livia is sobbing and AJ doesn't pay any mind to her

also, psychiatry being a "racket for the Jews".... my god

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My favorite vein of the "AJ is oblivious" joke genre is all the scenes where people keep bringing him along to places and then sending him away and him getting increasingly frustrated about being dragged along in the first place.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC-6Rrjmjes

I forgot what makes it even funnier is that Livia is sobbing and AJ doesn't pay any mind to her

also, psychiatry being a "racket for the Jews".... my god

The other old lady waddling over is so relatable. So is Livia talking poo poo about her as soon as she leaves. :roflolmao:

Ainsley McTree posted:

My favorite vein of the "AJ is oblivious" joke genre is all the scenes where people keep bringing him along to places and then sending him away and him getting increasingly frustrated about being dragged along in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM5T3HTwpqM

This is my favourite one.

"No, we weren't!"

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s when Janice comes back at the beginning of season two because she and Tony and Barbara hadn’t seen each other in at least a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhCuHe4P4w4&t=14s

Found it, thanks!

Vichan fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 10, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/sopranoscaps/status/1369733585905856524?s=20

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

uber_stoat posted:

like my mom. :cursed: rip. seriously though, some of the poo poo Livia says triggers the poo poo out of me.

to mom's credit she never did try to have me whacked.

What's up, fellow crazy, mean, dead, manipulative mom haver?

My mom was bipolar, suicidal (5 attempts), incredibly passive aggressive and seemed to get worse as she aged despite a ton of medication, treatment, therapy and people legit trying to help and be nice to her. I'm scarred to this day over it, realize more and more poo poo from my childhood that's made me broken and probably will stay damaged for the rest of my life from a lot of her poo poo but she never tried to have me whacked either.

So she had that going for her.

Some of the poo poo I feel when I re-watch the early episodes has a similar effect on me though, much like you described, and the macaroon scene really lands in the way that Livia went out of her loving way there to make a nice thing, a peace offering and a kind gesture into a net negative, steering the whole thing into some kind of attack or a weird persecution angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.shatnerchatner.com/p/how-i-believe-various-characters

Tony
Depending on what mood you catch him in, is either entirely dismissive (“Get this poo poo off the table, this table is for your mother’s cooking, and if I end up tripping over one of these goddamn figurines in the hallway I’m gonna throw them in the incinerator”) or completely enraptured by the concept of Disgusting Resilience (“You’re telling me all I gotta do is roll a 5 or better for these plaguebearing guys, and nobody can loving touch me? Jesus Christ, why does anybody play anything that isn’t Maggotkin of Nurgle? What’s next? My Glottkin? What’s he do?”).

Paulie Walnuts
“This is perverse. It’s anti-Catholic. You’ll bring forces into your home, all kinds of forces.”