Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Deteriorata posted:

Were you not taught to look both ways before you cross the street? Pedestrians already have a bunch of sensors on them to guard against vehicles in the street.

Right now, wearing special transponders or whatever is useless because human drivers can't detect them. With self-driving cars, there's opportunity for greater traffic safety by wearing something the cars would specifically know was a human to be avoided.

Ideally, cars would be perfect and such things would be unnecessary. They're not and never will be, and the pedestrians are the ones that pay for it.

I am not wearing special bullshit to walk where I live, shop, and/or work.
gently caress you, learn to drive properly, or take an Uber.
I really, really, really want Autonomous driving to be a thing, because frankly humans are incredibly bad drivers, but I'm not willing to enable a terrible version of it.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Haha, that would explain a lot then! It would be nice if you didn't need to have an accident to figure out your 'automatic' parking was just automatic steering instead. This is the old Tesla autopilot thing again... They were both reverse parking spots so straight in, no gear change required which might be why the car didn't make any fuss. :v:

It's almost like you should read your owner's manual or something!

Lest this be completely snarky, I like what is shown of the EV6, despite it being yet another CUV.
Annoying that the Ioniq isn't sold in my state (TX), but hopefully it will be by the time I'm in the market for a new car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

read your owner's manual

The what now?!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am very excited by the hyundai/kia options coming out, the kia one especially! Debating if I should be an early adopter or not haha.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was browsing on their main website’s offer since they have some spring event and if you click on any of their EV/Plug-In they now have this little notice on top (for the EV it says select states) and then it also bothers to show you the nearest dealer (before it was just nowhere near, sorry)

Ah, that's for the current sedan, not the 5. Still, dealers will need to train a tech for high voltage. Let's hope they do it.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I'm not sure if this belongs here for the BMW thread, but I'm looking into coding my 2017 BMW i3 REx. Right now, I have a 60 mile highway commute, and only a level 1 charger, so by day 4, I'm just outta juice. I know holding state of charge kind of defeats the purpose of an EV, but until I get back into a house and can install a level 2 charger, it seems like the best choice to not have to swap cars.

I know there's BimmerCode, but that's a subscription service and I am vehemently against paying a subscription for a one time change.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

raej posted:

I'm not sure if this belongs here for the BMW thread, but I'm looking into coding my 2017 BMW i3 REx. Right now, I have a 60 mile highway commute, and only a level 1 charger, so by day 4, I'm just outta juice. I know holding state of charge kind of defeats the purpose of an EV, but until I get back into a house and can install a level 2 charger, it seems like the best choice to not have to swap cars.

I know there's BimmerCode, but that's a subscription service and I am vehemently against paying a subscription for a one time change.

Unless something changed recently, BimmerCode doesn't have a subscription option; Just $35 for android or $27 for iOS one time fee. If you want to go the hardcore route and you can get an ENET cable and put E-SYS on a laptop. The hardcore route lets you add cool stuff like Enhanced Bluetooth and Traffic Jam Assist. There are also companies out there that will code your car for you for a fee, even remotely (they ship you an ENET cable and do a remote desktop session on your laptop), but if you ever bring in your car for service the dealer will most likely wipe any changes clean so you should probably have some way of doing it on your own.

Edit: If you go the hardcore route make sure you install the 32-bit version of .NET Framework 4.5.2. There's not a whole lot online indicating that it can't be 64-bit and it gave me a huge headache figuring this out.

McPhearson fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 9, 2021

raej
Sep 25, 2003

McPhearson posted:

Unless something changed recently, BimmerCode doesn't have a subscription option; Just $35 for android or $27 for iOS one time fee. If you want to go the hardcore route and you can get an ENET cable and put E-SYS on a laptop. The hardcore route lets you add cool stuff like Enhanced Bluetooth and Traffic Jam Assist. There are also companies out there that will code your car for you for a fee, even remotely (they ship you an ENET cable and do a remote desktop session on your laptop), but if you ever bring in your car for service the dealer will most likely wipe any changes clean so you should probably have some way of doing it on your own.

Edit: If you go the hardcore route make sure you install the 32-bit version of .NET Framework 4.5.2. There's not a whole lot online indicating that it can't be 64-bit and it gave me a huge headache figuring this out.

Oh, that's awesome news on BimmerCode. Everyone made it sound like it was a subscription. I just checked, and it's $41.99 and I could pay with Google Rewards credit. Thanks!

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

raej posted:

Wait can you run an i3 on the range extender only?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Shamino posted:

You can code in an option to turn on the Rex at any point below 75%. I have it set to the preset 1 button.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

Shamino posted:

Range extender is a motorcycle engine acting as a generator. It doesn't power the wheels directly, but will juice up the batteries.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was browsing on their main website’s offer since they have some spring event and if you click on any of their EV/Plug-In they now have this little notice on top (for the EV it says select states) and then it also bothers to show you the nearest dealer (before it was just nowhere near, sorry)

Huh, I'm surprised WA's not on the list considering we recently adopted CA's EV mandate. OR's not that far though.

I was behind a Bolt headed in to work today and man did they put the rear turn signals in a stupid location (down on the bumper instead of on the hatch with the brake lights)

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

McPhearson posted:

You can code in an option to turn on the Rex at any point below 75%. I have it set to the preset 1 button.

How much range do you get with that configuration? With the 2013-2015 rex's being in the $10k range, and being able to add on traffic management I really want one as a city runabout.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Shamino posted:

How much range do you get with that configuration? With the 2013-2015 rex's being in the $10k range, and being able to add on traffic management I really want one as a city runabout.

I can usually get about 50 additional miles out of it. Depends on temperature, speed, hills, etc. Sometimes I get more, sometimes less. I always try to avoid using the Rex but it's nice to have that option. Also, on the 2013-2016's even though they physically have a 2.4 gal tank it's software limited to 1.6 gal, but that can be adjusted with coding, too.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

McPhearson posted:

I can usually get about 50 additional miles out of it. Depends on temperature, speed, hills, etc. Sometimes I get more, sometimes less. I always try to avoid using the Rex but it's nice to have that option. Also, on the 2013-2016's even though they physically have a 2.4 gal tank it's software limited to 1.6 gal, but that can be adjusted with coding, too.

What's the reason for a software lock on a tank?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What's the reason for a software lock on a tank?

Because of CARB, In order to qualify as a range extended ev and not a plug in hybrid the gas range cannot exceed the battery only range. In order to meet that requirement BMW software limited the gas tank. In 2017 they put in a bigger battery and were able to get rid of the software lock.

McPhearson fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 10, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

McPhearson posted:

Because of CARB, In order to qualify as a range extended ev and not a plug in hybrid the gas range cannot exceed the battery only range. In order to meet that requirement BMW software limited the gas tank.

How do you software limit the physical capacity of the gas tank?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Code full tank and hold state of charge, first thing you should do if you buy an old i3. My 2014 gets 70mi electric and 70 on the Rex unless it's cold out.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 10, 2021

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Deteriorata posted:

How do you software limit the physical capacity of the gas tank?

The software measures the amount of fuel being burned, and when it reaches 1.6 gal it goes, "Okay, the tank is now empty. No more using gas." even though there is still .8 gal sitting physically in the tank.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

This seems like an interesting process for manufacturing solid state batteries.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I managed to track down a dealership that had a Mach-E actually in stock and for sale. Got a test drive of it with my wife to get her opinion of it, as she might have to occasionally drive it, and she found it perfectly acceptable.

So I am now the new owner of a AWD Premium Mach-E with the extended battery. Since I had to drive about 45 minutes away to find a dealership with a non-boring color (I found one in Red), I got to play with some of the driver aids on the highway. Was kinda nice to just let the car do it’s thing and only have to keep an eye out to the side lanes for people darting in.

Coming from a sporty sedan, I had forgotten how nice it is to have a higher seating position in the land of trucks and SUVs. Nice for a bit better viewing out and around. The Mach-E pretty effortlessly picks up speed when needed at highway speeds. I didn’t get a chance to test that before buying, but lay into the accelerator, and you go from 60-80 pretty quick.

I just need to start digging into all the menus and settings. I didn’t have too much time to poke around before I had to go in for a night shift. Luckily my work location has some free L2 Chargepoint chargers, so free juice while I work, even if it is just 6 kW shared.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Congrats! Post pictures!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Collision Avoid/Lane Keeping/Hi Beam auto camera died on my Kia Niro EV.

Took it to the dealer. Few days for the part, free loaner car.

The big news? Dealership is stocked with at least 10 Kia Niro EV's and Soul EV's (didn't get a count).

Escondido CA.

I heard they are selling them to folks in Arizona.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Congrats!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

Collision Avoid/Lane Keeping/Hi Beam auto camera died on my Kia Niro EV.

Took it to the dealer. Few days for the part, free loaner car.

The big news? Dealership is stocked with at least 10 Kia Niro EV's and Soul EV's (didn't get a count).

Escondido CA.

I heard they are selling them to folks in Arizona.

Ooh the Souls do NOT hold up in hot climates. Air cooled. Unless it's the 2021? Did they get those?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charles posted:

Ooh the Souls do NOT hold up in hot climates. Air cooled. Unless it's the 2021? Did they get those?

I don't think the Souls are the ones they are selling much of. It was the number of Niro EV's that surprised me.

My post was imprecise. There were over 10 Niro EV's in the lot. I did see at least one Soul EV.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Congrats! Post pictures!

Here are a couple of quick pictures I took at the dealership. You can see the Charger I traded in on the edge of the first picture. Feels a little odd that the Mach-E is a full foot shorter than the Charger, but has more interior room. The Mach-E is also like 400 lbs heavier.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Front plates are terrible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

McPhearson posted:

The software measures the amount of fuel being burned, and when it reaches 1.6 gal it goes, "Okay, the tank is now empty. No more using gas." even though there is still .8 gal sitting physically in the tank.

holy hell

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere fill your tank with 0.8 gallons of pebbles.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I assume it's pretty common for REX i3 owners to keep a jerry can in their cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
did anyone actually buy a REx?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1369779503640248323?s=20

Update, regular cars explode too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shades of the Ford pickup ABS module fires...

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

E: never mind

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bird with big dick posted:

If you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere fill your tank with 0.8 gallons of pebbles.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I assume it's pretty common for REX i3 owners to keep a jerry can in their cars.

There was a product for emergency use that’s a gasoline substitute in a sealed jug with a high shelf life. It will burn in an engine, but not cold and not straight.

Motorists were supposed to realise they were at risk of running dry before the next station, pull over to the side of the road, and pour in the half‐gallon jug while the engine is running and there is still enough good gasoline in the tank.

Anyway, it was kind of a niche idea and I don’t think it’s even made any more, but it would have been more useful in the REX i3 than in any other vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D3-KS_5hug

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My old Suzuki motorcycle had that, except it was called "old lovely contaminated gas in the bottom of ther tank" and you better not shut the engine off if you had the petcock in "reserve"

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

McPhearson posted:

Because of CARB, In order to qualify as a range extended ev and not a plug in hybrid the gas range cannot exceed the battery only range.

I thought the whole point of adding the engine and crap was to be able to go on long trips that would be less than practical in the average pure EV.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cockmaster posted:

I thought the whole point of adding the engine and crap was to be able to go on long trips that would be less than practical in the average pure EV.

It is, but then it wouldn't fall under the same category due to stupid rules which is a problem for the manufacturer

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Cockmaster posted:

Officially the range extender "is designed not for long-distance travel but purely as a short-term stopgap to get drivers to the next recharging location."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cockmaster posted:

There’s a reason i3 sales have always been pretty low. It’s a boutique electric car that is different just to be different, and not because that difference is any better.

It’s also comically expensive to buy new, compared to contemporarily available EVs.

Basically; BMW.