Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The live action characters in this are actually good though. Great cast too. Chloe Moretz is really funny, the lovely SNL writer is somehow really funny as a dumb white guy, and the hotel manager steals every scene he's in, so does Michael Peña

I disagree wholeheartedly. I did not give one poo poo about her character or the wedding or any that stuff. On the flip side any time Tom and Jerry were on screen doing what they do it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was a Tom and Jerry movie from 1993, where T & J talk and try to help a young girl reunite with her dad. The film tried to make them cute and cuddly.

Siskel & Ebert were not impressed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WEQlGwcOLg

"They're not cute! They're in a battle to the death!"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

X-O posted:

It's not terrible but it makes the same fatal mistake every cartoon/live action mash up does. Assuming we give a poo poo about the live action characters.

Plus it has ATCQ, Jodeci, Eric B and Rakim, Jagged Edge, and De La Soul on the soundtrack so... many points there.

Oh,oh. thanks. Gotta agree it's lovely when the animated character, which is usually the one who is more interesting, is slightly tossed aside to give more screen to the live action ones. And let's be honest, children are watching that movie for the cartoons.

Vintersorg posted:

Sonic was really good - better than it had any right to be.

It's was a surprising good movie. Not terrible, it gave me a lot of Hop vibes at moments but it delivered.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

X-O posted:

I disagree wholeheartedly. I did not give one poo poo about her character or the wedding or any that stuff. On the flip side any time Tom and Jerry were on screen doing what they do it was fine.

I guess I really like the dynamic of a con artist with a heart of gold vs a perfect mark and his overzealous suspicious assistant.

The wedding couple did their job of providing a context for Butch the dog and a reason for there to be elephant being scared by a mouse gags.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

Tom and Jerry is the real Snyder cut. Prove me wrong.

Tom is the real Snyder. Prove me wrong.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

Tom is the real Snyder. Prove me wrong.

Cameraman: laughs

That's all I remember from Tom Snyder's show. The empty studio and laughing cameraman.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Davros1 posted:

There was a Tom and Jerry movie from 1993, where T & J talk and try to help a young girl reunite with her dad. The film tried to make them cute and cuddly.

Was this the one where they have a conversation where they were both like "Wait, have you been able to talk this whole time?"

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Davros1 posted:

Siskel & Ebert were not impressed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WEQlGwcOLg

"They're not cute! They're in a battle to the death!"

Saw that in the theaters when I was ten and the only thing I remember about it was wishing I was doing anything else.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

X-O posted:

It's not terrible but it makes the same fatal mistake every cartoon/live action mash up does. Assuming we give a poo poo about the live action characters.
loving Godzilla Disease, it's why I'm still only mildly hyped for Godzilla vs. Kong. King of the Monsters was awesome when it was about Godzilla and Ghidorah having giant loving monster fights, but every five minutes of that they felt the need to cut away to some dumbshit humans doing stupid human poo poo for twenty minutes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It is funny to think of Tom and Jerry as Kaiju, but in either case you absolutely need humans to provide a context and stakes for the action.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

loving Godzilla Disease, it's why I'm still only mildly hyped for Godzilla vs. Kong. King of the Monsters was awesome when it was about Godzilla and Ghidorah having giant loving monster fights, but every five minutes of that they felt the need to cut away to some dumbshit humans doing stupid human poo poo for twenty minutes.
I found it incredible how they managed to make a movie about giant monster fighting so boring.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Still way better than the first one

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Still way better than the first one

Agreed. I'll put up with Millie Bobbie Brown pulling her like two facial expressions over cutting to Kick-rear end doing military stuff.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I like both those Godzilla films and all the rest of the Godzilla films as well except maybe the 1998 film, the anime trilogy and Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla. More Godzilla I say.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Loved G'14 but I get peoples dislike of it. Kong Skull Island was probably the best overall as it had a great balance of humans who were interesting and monster action. KoTM had terrible humans and cool set pieces for the monsters but lacked the scale of G'14 where the audience just feels tiny vs these monsters.

I hope KvG borrows more from G'14 and K:SI than KoTM.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I quite liked Godzilla '14, but honestly the best sequence in that movie is the HALO jump scene, and they released the full thing as a preview. I liked King of the Monsters, I liked how they handled my boy Rodan, but Skull Island is probably the best of the Monsterverse movies so far. Looking forward to Godzilla vs. Kong, apparently my dad and a few of his friends are planning on renting a theatre when it comes out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

i just wish they put the loving thing out already so we can get this over with

I genuinely believe it will never be over.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I mean the only options here are pretty much what we got and nothing. The fact that this even was allowed to be finished is such a serendipitous convergence of circumstances and fan demand that it's about as close to a miracle of film production that you can get. If people can't be at least satisfied with that then they were never going to be satisfied, and either don't want to be or are incapable of being satisfied. And that's on them.

:hmmyes:

CapnAndy posted:

That poo poo works fine when the humans are actually compelling, like in the original Godzilla.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 9, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am not asking WB for much, just that they greenlight Justice League parts 2 - 4 as HBO Max exclusive anime films with the original cast doing the voices.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Oh 100%. Nobody is going to change their positions one way or the other on this movie and we'll just keep having the same arguments about it after the fact. MoS is 7 years old and we still argue about that once a month or so.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:negative:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I think it will for most people but yeah, there'll probably be a small but extremely vocal group out there for whom if it's not perfect, it'll be because WB sabotaged it in some new way and the true Snyder Cut is still out there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, the diehards will just move on to #RestoreTheSnyderVerse, which is already a thing I have seen occasionally.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Arist posted:

Nah, the diehards will just move on to #RestoreTheSnyderVerse, which is already a thing I have seen occasionally.

Social media needs to be shut down. Tired of this.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vince MechMahon posted:

The tweets posted actually remind me more of blue MAGA Biden supporters. They won, got every single thing they wanted, and are still angry and lashing out at people for pointing out the flaws in what they wanted that are plainly visible to anyone not in their cult. The leak conspiracy theories are just RussiaGate but with a nebulous "higher ups at WB" as the influential manipulators.
You really gonna try to pull this Trumper bullshit here and now? You trying to tell us that teamblue got everything they wanted when the traitor who tried to pull a coup is in fact not in prison but being praised and congratulated and rehabilitated right now in anticipation of yet another go at killing more americans than any world leader in history? You're rehabilitating him right now by telling us his very real crimes are just conspiracy theory BS? For this analogy to hold any water Joss Whedon would have a deal for a brand new trilogy that picks up where Josstice League left off to be released on Disney+ in 2024 and his toadies would be all over social media telling us how great Josstice League really was and there will be more like that coming just you wait.

Arist posted:

No reason to rest until they make the 4 hour Justice League 2 where the major plot point is that Batman cuckolds Superman and Flash has to travel back in time to tell Superman that and hell, I'm here for it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TwoPair posted:

I think it will for most people but yeah, there'll probably be a small but extremely vocal group out there for whom if it's not perfect, it'll be because WB sabotaged it in some new way and the true Snyder Cut is still out there.

I don't really expect this. The people who are most gungho for the Snyder cut are presumably the people who liked his MoS and BvS, and they weren't exactly flawless films.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:same:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I mean, the second part of that is dumb poo poo Snyder actually wanted to do? I understood that bit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, the second part of that is dumb poo poo Snyder actually wanted to do? I understood that bit.

Yeah, I understood that part at least (Snyder at one point considered having Lois Lane and Bruce Wayne get together or something but scrapped it)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's real

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/zack-snyder-justice-league-sequel-jim-lee/

Release the cuckold cut

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arist posted:

Yeah, I understood that part at least (Snyder at one point considered having Lois Lane and Bruce Wayne get together or something but scrapped it)

It’s not an original Snyder idea and was in other media.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Whatever? Like, it's a bad idea but I'm not really ragging on Snyder for considering it because it's (ostensibly, from the way it was mentioned) not in the movie. People have bad creative ideas all the time, it's part of workshopping, and I have no idea of the surrounding context that idea would have existed within. There's no reason to defend it because I wasn't attacking it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
All I ever really want out of Snyder discourse is for people to realize the Dawn of the Dead remake is terrible.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Arist posted:

Whatever? Like, it's a bad idea but I'm not really ragging on Snyder for considering it because it's (ostensibly, from the way it was mentioned) not in the movie. People have bad creative ideas all the time, it's part of workshopping, and I have no idea of the surrounding context that idea would have existed within. There's no reason to defend it because I wasn't attacking it.

The trope can be done very well, like on the CW DC shows when Iris West (whos husband is The Flash) has a crush on Oliver Queen. It's a funny bit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sure, but like... what we know of the story of Justice League (and BvS) would make keeping that... very weird, to be frank. And sure, it could be done well, but it just sounds like a straightforward bad idea with the context we have as well as the context we're missing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"What's the 'S' stand for?"

"It's not an 'S'. On my world, it means 'cuck'."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the basic story of it was Batman started seeing Lois after Superman died out of a sense of feeling it was his fault and he needed to look after her, but fell in love with her. And to get Superman back he would need to give her up.

All of which sounds like reasonable character beats to me.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think the basic story of it was Batman started seeing Lois after Superman died out of a sense of feeling it was his fault and he needed to look after her, but fell in love with her. And to get Superman back he would need to give her up.

All of which sounds like reasonable character beats to me.

Would've made more sense if he started dating Martha Kent.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Every Godzilla movie is some other movie except sometimes giant monsters show up. It's part and parcel of the genre, for the same reason today that it was half a century ago - having giant monster fights on screen all the time is loving expensive so you need the human actors to fill in time by talking to aliens dressed in tin-foil outfits or having extremely low key car chases or having Matrix fights with superpowered mutants.

And I'd say KOTM had way less human stuff than most and way better fights than all of them. I'm not going to say the human stuff is good but just that the only time the human stuff has ever been good is, like, the original and Shin. That's how kaiju movies are. That's the buy-in you take or leave.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope this doesn't skirt the rules of posting random Twitter people, but The Joker from the movie Joker is running for governor of a prefecture in Japan.

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1369420762743005187?s=19

His platform is to make Chiba a Land of Dreams and Magic

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1369425567817273353?s=09

He has a music video.