Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Borrovan posted:

CW for transphobia: the terf "1+1=2" slogan is the most infuriating example of this, because they're basically flat-out admitting that they're just axiomatically assuming that they're right (e: & also because its monstrous). All of the other terf arguments are derived from a false assumption, and you can't argue with the fuckers because it's a loving axiom to them.

That terf, Sun-level 'it's just common sense' argument pisses me off so much because it doesn't actually support their argument if you live in the real world at all. The 'biology at birth is everything, self-identified gender is nothing' is so obviously wrong and loving authoritarian too considering how much of establishment media pushes it.

As a worldview it legit, genuinely is Orwellian, it's the closing scenes of 1984 and the guy is holding up 4 fingers and demanding Winston says he sees 5. "The person on the left is a woman, the person on the right is a man. Say it."

It's so obviously untrue and absurd, just on a 2+2=4 level it's loving mental just as a description of reality let alone it being the basis for active bigotry.

This isn't at all to say that gender identity being real/valid is dependant on passing or conventional attractiveness, it's me sounding off on how loving stupid and authoritarian and unchallenged terfs generally are in our establishment media, their ideology is genuinely bizarre and inhuman.

Angepain posted:

you planning on addressing or apologising for whatever the gently caress you were doing the other day or are you just planning on playing it off like nothing happened

e: and what did that post about nimbys mean I've always wondered

Rumda is a nasty, dishonest bully and has been for a while, guess I could have made a huge effort post about what a piece of poo poo they are instead of just reacting but honestly it would have amounted to the same thing in the end.

I genuinely confuse enby and nimby in my brain, I had mild dyslexia growing up and there are some wierd blind spots where rarely used words of similar length with very similar consonants just sort of fuse. If you want to be a real Never Forget wierdo you could probably find some old Twitter accounts of mine that had the same tell but no it didn't/doesn't "mean" anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

thebardyspoon posted:

I have a question for UKMT goons who work in games, I know there's a couple at least. I've asked my new job this question as my first day was ending but am curious so thought I'd ask. They've given me a PC to work from home on but it's absolutely massive, doesn't fit into the only area suitable as a workspace at all and is also worse than my actual PC performance wise. I'm not sure if it's mandatory which is what I've asked them. Is there a great reason why it would be? I guess like, security concerns and if they want to monitor me would be the main reasons. They only had it delivered today in the afternoon after I started and didn't give me any measurements or I'd have flagged it up beforehand obviously.

Either way I've already asked so hopefully I don't seem like a complete loving moron or massive whiney bastard to them. Mainly just curious.

Have you tried holding the PC up in front of you and running, not jumping on, running into a lizard or some other hazard. This will usually shrink the PC down to a more manageable size unless you have recently consumed a weird throbbing flower.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
richard madeley is a true national treasure and i could sit and watch him prattle away for hours

like maybe three hours, i think that'd probably be enough

and fair play to him for trying to shoplift a load of booze from sainsburys that one time lmao

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Angepain posted:

terf island continues

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56338666

meanwhile every trans person will self-id their gender on the form anyway because who's going to stop us, but they got an official proclamation that trans people can gently caress off so a win for them, i guess

you even need a doctor's note to change your passport! it's not even self-id! imagine if facts existed and were paid attention to

yep I did it this morning just in case I do manage to get a doctors note and apply for my new passport before a week on Sunday and technically not be doing it 'wrong'

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah I said today someone somewhere might have to put their hands in their pockets. Original salesforce wanted £20k to fully implement it and the charity just does not have that kind of money.

Ooft. For a small charity salesforce is unlikely to be the best choice, either cost wise or functionality wise. I don't have direct experience of it, but I've had to look into charity CRMs for work and all the feedback I had matches what Zalakwe says: it's not very user friendly, has way more functions than a small or midsized charity needs and winds up being expensive. Are you definitely locked in to the contract at this point? There are quite a few CRMs for non profits that seem to be easier, more user friendly and cheaper, though it depends a bit on what it's needed for (e.g. Donor management, service/case management, evaluation & impact monitoring)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Isn't that the rather problematic Buck Angel on the left? Who's the person on the right, I'm assuming she's not (as) controversial.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't that the rather problematic Buck Angel on the left? Who's the person on the right, I'm assuming she's not (as) controversial.

I only know Buck Angel because he did a voiceover on the Contrapoints video that got her sort-of-cancelled, there might be a more morally perfect ftm but he's a good visual example of how absurd 'girl chromosomes mean you're a girl, literally everything else can be ignored!' is.

The person on the right is a trans e-girl that came out of 4chan and is obsessed with D&D, again there might be a more morally perfect mtf but she's a good visual example of how absurd 'boy chromosomes mean you're a boy, literally everything else can be ignored!' is.

Edit: who they are isn't the point, the point is that 'gender critical' wierdos are so obsessed with biological minutia even in the face of experiential, moral, philisophical and sociological facts. The point isn't that these particular trans people pass so they're good, it's that the idea that chromosomes matter a gently caress is nonsense. Gender self-identity is the only framework that actually allows 2+2 to equal 4.

Edit 2: \/ No?

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 10, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress off out of this thread Vitamin P, or at the absolute very least never talk about trans issues here ever again. People have memories, you know.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

he apparently also witnessed lady gaga's dognappings! crazy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TBH I still use Buck Angel as a visual example of a trans man even the biggest transphobe will struggle to say "no that's clearly a woman." He's still pretty lovely about trans women and has said some rather horrible stuff, but it's not like that stops him being a man.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Niric posted:

Ooft. For a small charity salesforce is unlikely to be the best choice, either cost wise or functionality wise. I don't have direct experience of it, but I've had to look into charity CRMs for work and all the feedback I had matches what Zalakwe says: it's not very user friendly, has way more functions than a small or midsized charity needs and winds up being expensive. Are you definitely locked in to the contract at this point? There are quite a few CRMs for non profits that seem to be easier, more user friendly and cheaper, though it depends a bit on what it's needed for (e.g. Donor management, service/case management, evaluation & impact monitoring)

I'm not sure. I know they have spent months investigating CRMs and just wanted/needed to commit to something. All the employees (3!) are part-time and IT isn't their forte.

I've just emailed the project leader who was tearing her hair out yesterday and said how about we mask up and meet in the office and give it one good last try as paid assistance is likely to be very expensive.
We have a zoom on Friday with the volunteer who has some salesforce experience and will ask her some more relevant questions now we have spent 2-3 heavy days between two of us trying to figure it out!

The charity is tiny in terms of employees but has multiple donor income sources and multiple projects in several countries. so it's quite a complex operation currently being run off Access 2000 and copious spreadsheets. It wasn't so bad before lockdown when they and various volunteers were all sitting in the same office, but working remotely has proven the need (let alone the issues with Access being unavailable on the cloud and its creaking age).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 10, 2021

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone got any experience of setting up salesforce for non-profits?
We are completely at our wits end and getting no help (just generic emails) from the salesforce people.
My colleague responsible for setting up the platform just needs to talk through with someone who knows what they're doing.

Probably too late to say this but Salesforce is not an end-user ready CRM. It's a platform on which you build an end-user ready CRM.

Salesforce does have Trailhead, a genuinely excellent learning platform, so if your colleague hasn't gone through that they should. If they cant find their answers there then I think the only answer is to pay someone who does know how to set it up.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Vitamin P posted:

I only know Buck Angel because he did a voiceover on the Contrapoints video that got her sort-of-cancelled, there might be a more morally perfect ftm but he's a good visual example of how absurd 'girl chromosomes mean you're a girl, literally everything else can be ignored!' is.

The person on the right is a trans e-girl that came out of 4chan and is obsessed with D&D, again there might be a more morally perfect mtf but she's a good visual example of how absurd 'boy chromosomes mean you're a boy, literally everything else can be ignored!' is.

Edit: who they are isn't the point, the point is that 'gender critical' wierdos are so obsessed with biological minutia even in the face of experiential, moral, philisophical and sociological facts. The point isn't that these particular trains people pass so they're good, it's that the idea that chromosomes matter a gently caress is nonsense. Gender self-identity is the only framework that actually allows 2+2 to equal 4.

Edit 2: \/ No?

so just to clarify you still think the GIC is doing a good job?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Random Integer posted:

Probably too late to say this but Salesforce is not an end-user ready CRM. It's a platform on which you build an end-user ready CRM.

Salesforce does have Trailhead, a genuinely excellent learning platform, so if your colleague hasn't gone through that they should. If they cant find their answers there then I think the only answer is to pay someone who does know how to set it up.

Yeah I was tearing my hair out on Trailhead last night for hours. Seemed to be getting on quite well to start with. But then installed the non-profit thing in a 'playground' then it said a vital bit wasn't installed, so I started a new playground with all the same logins signed in and it said I had the wrong org, so signed in with a different org and it said I had to go back to the original one and round and round we go.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Just tell them yeah dont worry you've got it sorted but write everything down on post it notes and keep the plates spinning.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Comrade Fakename posted:

gently caress off out of this thread Vitamin P, or at the absolute very least never talk about trans issues here ever again. People have memories, you know.

I'm sure this time he'll behave from now on and he won't say anything utterly lovely and never walk it back ever again, unlike the last 5 times. I mean all the trans posters might think they can read him for garbage but that's because they're just jealous of how much better he understands their issues. Best let him stick around and make all the digs at cuck wokescolds he likes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it's an option I would also sooner be shot of him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

If it's an option I would also sooner be shot

*loads comically oversized revolver*

gently caress

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you're offering the other I'm also up for that tbh, either or.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Oh and look Vitamin P hasn't got any smarter with redtexts I think that's the same picture he used for me as well...

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Vitamin P posted:

Rumda is a nasty, dishonest bully and has been for a while, guess I could have made a huge effort post about what a piece of poo poo they are instead of just reacting but honestly it would have amounted to the same thing in the end.

Just gently caress off already. Your first post on the topic was jumping straight to the attack, in response to the "transphobic apologia" accusation:

Vitamin P posted:

You are a piece of poo poo and I'm extremely glad you aren't systemically representative of trans people because you very obviously don't give a gently caress about other trans people potentally being able to have good lives.

Was gonna go debate bro and say 'please define "posting apologia for an institionally transphobic service"' but gently caress you just 1. tell us what would be sufficiently good enough for you and 2. highlight just one example that is systemically better than the one you're making GBS threads on. It should be very easy for you from your rhetoric.

Since then you've studiously avoided everybody else on this topic just to keep on singling out Rumda, somehow managing to avoid ever having to defend the GIC in its current state because Rumda's examples are never good enough for you. If you don't want to deal with the "nasty, dishonest bully" then loving put up and tell us what makes the current GIC worth defending. If you actually care about the issue of the GIC rather than a single poster, this shouldn't be difficult.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 10, 2021

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
And remember what I was nasty and dishonest about I did was quoting his post before he fixed a typo.

And notice he cares so much about trans people he has stopped using my correct pronouns

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Whatever transphobic oval office is changing avatars should be outed by the mods.

Angepain, PM me whatever title you want and I'll get on it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I am aware there is no actually way to link who buys avatars with posters. Unless, I guess, they use the same card for their own poo poo.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I've never had anyone change my avatar =( I only really post in here though. Plus I'm pretty boring and don't really step into the slap fight pit.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It doesn't always work out great

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
It took me almost a decade to piss someone off enough to change mine but it's pretty relevant to how I feel so it can stay.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ItohRespectArmy posted:

so just to clarify you still think the GIC is doing a good job?

?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

As someone who is a big dumb baby could someone please link me to something which explains these GICs, what they are, and why they are bad? I'm getting the terminology mixed up with canadian Guaranteed Investment Certificate but I do not think that is at all what this conversation is about.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gender Identity Clinic. There's a thread controversy that I came in part way through about the discussion of them about how effective they are about helping people (or potentially not helping people) who are in need of trans dysphoria support. I can't be specific because I came in mid-way but the issue is about whether they're good or bad due to a poorly-worded FOIA request about them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://gic.nhs.uk/

They are the branch of the NHS responsible for handling healthcare related to transitioning, everyone who uses them seems to basically hate them and their performance is absolute garbage by their own admission and basically it's hard to not get the impression that they exist to tell people not to pursue transition and/or force people onto private treatment or buying hormones off the internet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well that succinctly tells me they suck.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not sure why I couldn't have guessed that our beloved Terf Island is poo poo about treating trans people with dignity.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Oh is this something like telling people to see a shrink and do arbitrary tasks like live an arbitrary time as the gender of their choosing before they are considered for transition? Because if so yeah gently caress that that sounds terrible.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I believe they demand you live at minimum 18 months and usually 3 years as openly the gender you actually are before they will consider giving you HRT to, you know, loving help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

qhat posted:

Oh is this something like telling people to see a shrink and do arbitrary tasks like live an arbitrary time as the gender of their choosing before they are considered for transition? Because if so yeah gently caress that that sounds terrible.

The UK I believe still has a bunch of stupid poo poo like that, yes, and also the clinics just... don't see people? Like people have been trying to get referred and the paperwork keeps somehow mysteriously not going through or they do get referred and end up waiting years for an appointment and poo poo.

The concept of a healthcare system nominally providing a service except whenever you try to actually get access to that service you can't, or you can't find a doctor that will take you seriously, or the service offered is absolutely garbage, is not a new one so it isn't particularly surprising that, as noted, TERF island would be doing that re: trans healthcare.

Either they don't take it seriously or they're actively trying to obstruct based on the institutional prejudices against trans people.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 10, 2021

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

qhat posted:

We didn't even get as far as discussing that. The previous argument began when discussing the ambiguously worded FOI response, whether it means this particular clinic had only seen 2 people in a year, or if it had only seen 2 people out of 495 new referrals. But regarding the clinic itself rather than the statement, there is no argument that they have 2592 people waiting for their first appointment and the longest time someone has spent on that list is 2092 days. They haven't even got to the point of being given arbitrary tasks yet. Vitamin P has asked for "just one example that is systemically better", and then proceeded to dismiss all the suggestions offered (where he has offered any response), so it's left unclear whether or not he supports the GIC in this current form, despite ample opportunity to correct the record.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Probably singing to the choir here but I've been outside the UK since the brexit referendum and it's always fascinating to look back and see how attitudes are developing. I don't know if it's just having lived in relatively tolerant Canada for almost 5 years but it always seems as if attitudes in the UK are just getting way loving worse every year. Doesn't help that there are British crowl jewels like JK Rowling coming out as unobjective transphobic twats and a whole slew of top British icons and media piling in behind to back them, it's no wonder these services seem to be chronically unfunded. Noone seems to care at all, least of all a Boris Johnson government.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Vitamin P started attacking Rumda over her claim that the GIC is bad but refuses to actually give his opinion in it or trans healthcare, I was seeing if he'd actually state his beliefs for a change instead of actively attacking the same poster over and over.

others have done a very good job of explaining what the GIC is and why it's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Scikar posted:

Vitamin P has asked for "just one example that is systemically better", and then proceeded to dismiss all the suggestions offered (where he has offered any response), so it's left unclear whether or not he supports the GIC in this current form, despite ample opportunity to correct the record.

The P in Vitamin P stands for patriot and as you say they were asking for examples of places that do it better, not for suggestions on how UK GICs could be better. To move this topic forward it would be good to hear from qhat where Canada ranks.