Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do I need to magnify glass or analyze bosses to get a log entry for them?

If not I think I am wasting BP every fight that would be better served elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

shameful people not naming their protag

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

shameful people not naming their protag

he has a name and it's Seth

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like this Beastmaster second specialty was not created with the assumption that people would be giving 3/4 of their party Beast Whisperer. Anyone with Beastmaster maxed is ludicrously overpowered with it (more than double as strong as any other party member who isn't a maxed Beastmaster) and I've steamrolled the last couple bosses I've encountered as a result.

In the (Chapter 2) Archer fight I also noticed that the boss's add was weak to Light, so I looked through my beast collection and found one that casts Banishra. I used Off The Chain with it and it did 8000 damage.

Yeah, that would be the Petunias, they trivialize pretty much every boss in chapter 2. I think they're your only way of inflicting non-healing light damage at that point.
Can you tell if the second specialty is based on unique monsters or total overall captured? I asked a few pages back but nobody answered.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 9, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

raditts posted:

Can you tell if the second specialty is based on unique monsters or total overall captured? I asked a few pages back but nobody answered.

Total overall captured (limit of 99 captures per monster counting), releases do not decrement it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
after a certain point, if you've put any thought into your party's build at all, the only way bosses have any chance of actually using an ability is through counters giving them free bp or whatever, and the counterattacks can be auto-avoided, so i don't know what the people complaining about counters are saying other than "i don't know how to play this game."

Which is not to say that we couldn't have benefited from a little more transparency. i'd rather have a list of counters from bosses upon using a magnifying glass / survey instead of just guess and checking.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Impermanent posted:

after a certain point, if you've put any thought into your party's build at all, the only way bosses have any chance of actually using an ability is through counters giving them free bp or whatever, and the counterattacks can be auto-avoided, so i don't know what the people complaining about counters are saying other than "i don't know how to play this game."

Which is not to say that we couldn't have benefited from a little more transparency. i'd rather have a list of counters from bosses upon using a magnifying glass / survey instead of just guess and checking.

one of my few complaints is that I wish the info screen on enemies at least told you what kinds of damage they're resistant to or which they absorb

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

one of my few complaints is that I wish the info screen on enemies at least told you what kinds of damage they're resistant to or which they absorb

yea that would be good too. there's some kind of vague logic to it in that they tend to be resistant to damage of a weapon type that they have a high ranking in but it's not consistent iirc

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Impermanent posted:

yea that would be good too. there's some kind of vague logic to it in that they tend to be resistant to damage of a weapon type that they have a high ranking in but it's not consistent iirc

For what it's worth that info is in the Lore codex... after you beat them. :v:

Also I am very sad that my universe brain play was thwarted by the game mechanics. (Lategame job name/ability spoilers) loving Bravebearer's Across the Board doesn't apply to Gift of Courage! How dare the game not let me feed 4 BP to the entire party for the cost of nothing!!!! :rant:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

kidfresca posted:

I hated the Lost Woods-esque area. All I wanted to do was to take a look at all routes to get the treasure chests, but 70% of the paths put you back near the beginning. That was the only one that frustrated me, and a map wouldn't have helped.

There's actually a clue as to which paths send you backwards if you can see a cluster of yellow mushrooms while standing next to an exit, it will send you backwards. It's never mentioned though, and the only reason I bothered to look for it is that I played Secret of Evermore growing up, which had a similar system.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Farg posted:

godspeed strike is too strong. my team setup for it onr-rounded the final boss

I just noticed that shieldy-job has that ability which causes -speed items in your hand to become +speed items.

I want it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Just got to Ch4 and holy poo poo the final fight in Ch3 with the Oracle boss was literal RNG bullshit for their last 25% or so of HP, with me losing 3x because they used their plain damage AOE 3-4x in a row and killed everyone instantly.

so I went back in with a real job setup, including Seth as a Vanguard since it put him to about 450atk, and once the boss got to around half HP I just had Seth and Adelle drop him to 1500hp and Gloria finished him off. :fuckoff:

If that had failed I'd have probably gone with a nuclear (godspeed) strike setup to just auto-kill the boss. I tried the last salve-maker skill as well but the "makes that family type take vulnerable damage" doesn't seem to ever do anything? Unless it's an effect that bosses just keep resisting, like how I've yet to see a status-aliment bomb actually inflict its aliment on anything that wasn't immune to it.

Kyrosiris posted:

Total overall captured (limit of 99 captures per monster counting), releases do not decrement it.

:stare:

And here I thought it'd be broken to just farm speed buns for an hour or two, this is so much more comical. Especially if you run around with beast whisperer on someone who clears 99% of trash fights on their own.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I tried the last salve-maker skill as well but the "makes that family type take vulnerable damage" doesn't seem to ever do anything? Unless it's an effect that bosses just keep resisting, like how I've yet to see a status-aliment bomb actually inflict its aliment on anything that wasn't immune to it.

I think it's a buff instead of a debuff from the one time I tried it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Correct, that skill applies a buff on the user, not a debuff on the target. I had the same reaction at first, the wording in the description makes it sound like it works for everyone but unfortunately it only works for the user.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Impermanent posted:

People complaining about the numerous counters are most definitely talking about the numerous obnoxious counters that take place before that "certain point".

Also maybe this is just me but soft forcing you to have the passive that lets you automatically avoid physical counters is not very fun game design!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Steal Spirit is really strong; I can completely fill up my MP by doing a single brave-chain of it against most mobs (how much you get seems to depend upon the mob, but most seem to give a lot).

It kind of makes Godspeed Strike even more ridiculous, since you can easily generate your own MP (though Ethers are also extremely cheap - I find that I have enough money to buy everything I'd ever want to).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Steal Spirit is pretty amazing. In the earlier parts of the game, when you can run out of MP in three Godspeed Strikes, doing three of them and then ending with a Steal Spirit (or doing a Steal Spirit in the middle of the chain) works great.

Thief is very very good in this game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm still a little sad that outfit wasn't Pirate, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ojetor posted:

Correct, that skill applies a buff on the user, not a debuff on the target. I had the same reaction at first, the wording in the description makes it sound like it works for everyone but unfortunately it only works for the user.

Oh, well that's unfortunate. :(

Impermanent posted:

One of the bosses that wiped me multiple times had a "counter when any ability is used" counter that gave them +1bp so it was literally impossible to not have them at 3BP unless you want to autoattack a boss and single target heal with hi potions, which cannot keep up with their dmg output.

Sure, there's going to be a point where the murder train leaves the station but the fights before that point get real stupid at times unless you just go in with a team to alpha strike the boss dead at a moment's notice (beastmaster is pretty amazing for this but godspeed strike takes less prep time and ultimately hits harder).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

One of the bosses that wiped me multiple times had a "counter when any ability is used" counter that gave them +1bp so it was literally impossible to not have them at 3BP unless you want to autoattack a boss and single target heal with hi potions, which cannot keep up with their dmg output.

Sure, there's going to be a point where the murder train leaves the station but the fights before that point get real stupid at times unless you just go in with a team to alpha strike the boss dead at a moment's notice (beastmaster is pretty amazing for this but godspeed strike takes less prep time and ultimately hits harder).

Yeah, it's kind of interesting how you either build for survivability and sustain, or you go all in and just crush the enemy in one fell swoop. Right now I'm fighting an endgame optional boss Gwydion where I have a setup that basically makes two characters immortal while the other two characters get healed to full and then sacrifice all of their health to chunk the boss's health down rapidly (and die to the boss's damage reflection in the process). It's funny because I end up with so much extra BP that I end up having the two immortal healers smack the boss with sticks just to burn off the excess.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is weight locked by your class or can you level it somehow? I'd be pretty day if I can never carry these two weapons in trying to fit in Adelle.

Does anyone know if any unique and essential quest rewards not to be missed? I have about 300 quests right now and most of the ones I've done so far don't actually reward anything useful.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PageMaster posted:

Is weight locked by your class or can you level it somehow? I'd be pretty day if I can never carry these two weapons in trying to fit in Adelle.

Does anyone know if any unique and essential quest rewards not to be missed? I have about 300 quests right now and most of the ones I've done so far don't actually reward anything useful.

Class and level affect weight.

There are some really good quest rewards, and most of them trigger when one of your party members wants to do a sidequest. There's usually some cutscene and more story about them that is worth watching and you often get a neat accessory at the end.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

PageMaster posted:

Level and class. It'll go up in time to allow you to upgrade weapons/armor bit by bit. It is kind of an interesting balance point because you can often get powerful weapons before they become available in shops by cutting grass / stealing / rare mobs/ ect and it presents an interesting quandry on what you want to put your focus on. If you dual wield crazy sequence broke doomswords or something you can destroy all comers, but if you can't kill something in your 3BP it's going to chew you up bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Considering how stealing from rare mobs work, if weight didn't exist you'd absolutely have a lot of people running around in endgame gear pretty much from the moment you get thief since there's a tree in the intro area or ch1 with an endgame spear, and the rare ghost horse on the cliffs by Bernand's house has dark robes that are definitely endgame robes, and the icebrand from the lizard on the starting area beach is at least as strong as stuff in ch4.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Considering how stealing from rare mobs work, if weight didn't exist you'd absolutely have a lot of people running around in endgame gear pretty much from the moment you get thief since there's a tree in the intro area or ch1 with an endgame spear, and the rare ghost horse on the cliffs by Bernand's house has dark robes that are definitely endgame robes, and the icebrand from the lizard on the starting area beach is at least as strong as stuff in ch4.

Brb gotta go kill a tree I missed for some spears I probably can't equip despite being in chapter 5...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

poo poo I just did a 12 hour boat run without losing connection to the server, and the difference between the boat thing offline was huge. I got like 5 large jp orbs, three medium and 11 small from one trip while I was at work. Mastered gambler on Seth and got Elvis halfway there.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
A full explanation of the BP build I posted earlier is up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxesMmDI320

There's a quick loadout skip to the end in case you need it!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

A full explanation of the BP build I posted earlier is up here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxesMmDI320

There's a quick loadout skip to the end in case you need it!

video thumbnail is :discourse:

This is somehow even more wild than the Red Mage BP battery from Bravely Default 1, if only because it relies on such a hilarious interaction (setting up one character to be intentionally the least accurate physical attacker in existence) and that rules

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Woof, cleared Red Mage on the first try but I was pretty underleveled (20-21) and I blew through all my hi-potions and phoenix down to do it. I'm gonna have to start optimizing aren't I?

Pleasantly surprised after the Chapter 1 bosses were cakewalks even on hard mode.

That was a long rear end dungeon though. I had to stop and completely reconfigure everyone's gear halfway through, and at about the 2/3 mark I just began using ward lights because ugh. Not sure what the point is of having non-random battles if the enemies move fast enough that you can't dodge or slash them without split second reactions.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Is (chapter 3 job spoilers) Dragoon any good? I feel like there should be something hilarious you can do with the Specialty 2 that makes Jump affected by anything that buffs normal attacks, but it seems like even with all that it wouldn't be amazing or anything. Hit twice and all-targeting at best? Heal HP and MP on use? I mean I could just try it myself but that would require some grinding to get all the pieces. Maybe I'm just underestimating Jump but it felt extremely weak when I first got it.

Like, Swordmaster dual wielding for Highwind or something?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 10, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Woof, cleared Red Mage on the first try but I was pretty underleveled (20-21) and I blew through all my hi-potions and phoenix down to do it. I'm gonna have to start optimizing aren't I?

Pleasantly surprised after the Chapter 1 bosses were cakewalks even on hard mode.

That was a long rear end dungeon though. I had to stop and completely reconfigure everyone's gear halfway through, and at about the 2/3 mark I just began using ward lights because ugh. Not sure what the point is of having non-random battles if the enemies move fast enough that you can't dodge or slash them without split second reactions.

Yeah, that dungeon was where I started to feel like, okay, you can probably chop a floor off each of these dungeons and they'd still be kinda long but fine.

I also had a rough time with that boss, especially when he started throwing out the one-shot Disaster spells towards the end. Though apparently, going by a video I saw, you can drain his MP with Thief and make him unable to cast which would've made my life a lot easier.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That one BnD player in the first *chapter 2 dungeon is ridiculously out of line compared to every other BnD player I've encountered so far. Her cards have like 4 or 5 tiles each, so even without her global (if you counteract it with a global of your own) she has huge board advantage.

edit: clarified where she was

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 10, 2021

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I'm kinda disappointed that so many Compounding results seem to be Squib.

Considering that they stripped it down a ton in Second and Octopath I'm not too surprised but it still feels kinda... boring, I guess. Straightforward, and the bombs can still be pretty potent, but kinda boring.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Lol Orpheus is awesome. Smug jackasses are always my favorite characters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Clarste posted:

Is (chapter 3 job spoilers) Dragoon any good? I feel like there should be something hilarious you can do with the Specialty 2 that makes Jump affected by anything that buffs normal attacks, but it seems like even with all that it wouldn't be amazing or anything. Hit twice and all-targeting at best? Heal HP and MP on use? I mean I could just try it myself but that would require some grinding to get all the pieces. Maybe I'm just underestimating Jump but it felt extremely weak when I first got it.

Tested this out with JP Orbs and unless I am missing something important it seems to be kind of awful? You get AOE from Indiscriminate Rage, sure, but it also slows you down. Multitask procs a single weak hit instead of a full Jump, which I guess I should have expected. Frenetic Fighting (raises maximum number of hits from 16 to 32) pops up as if it's proccing but I have no idea how that affects the damage anyway. Solid Stance has no effect whatsoever. I guess you could drain HP but who cares? In conclusion, just use Level Slash because it's way stronger, faster, and easier to set-up.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Clarste posted:

I don't have any broken tactics or anything, but I use(ch 3 job spoiler) dragoon as a main with thief sub since it's one of the speedier jobs (for Godspeed Strike and how many turns I can get) and because it lets me dual wield without using up an ability slot. It's one of my main damage dealers using Godspeed Strike and two spears, but nothing more clever than that since I don't really use jump(or need to use it). The other main use was just to get Full Force on my white mage.

Edit: not sure if it really needs to be, but spoiler'd the job anyways.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 10, 2021

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

chapter 3 thing: if your maximum hit count would be above 16 Frenetic Fighting should power up Jump by virtue of increasing your maximum hit count and thus factoring more into damage.

how to determine if you have enough hits to make Frenetic Fighting actually contribute thing is beyond me at this moment.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Can you not customize specials anymore? I thought in the first you could set up the elemental type and bonus effect of each of them, but I can't seem to find an option here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it just me or is Gambler kind of bad? Even the best rolls on its chance-based skills seem to just give "okay" damage.

It can apparently increase drop-rate and money, but can't you just use Thief's "Mag Pie" + Steal for the former (and the latter is kind of irrelevant since I always have way more cash than I know what to do with in this game)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

PageMaster posted:

Can you not customize specials anymore? I thought in the first you could set up the elemental type and bonus effect of each of them, but I can't seem to find an option here.

Nope, the effects and elements of specials are solely determined by your current main job. Afaik it doesn't even inherit the element of your weapon.