Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

nishi koichi posted:

yes also get a stub nib one

oh i inherited a calligraphy kit so i am set on thicchisels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dad Hominem posted:

Not only did they make a poo poo ton, they also made a ton of poo poo :v:

That... that is also true.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Heath posted:

I am seriously considering just selling off the majority of my pens and getting one of these urushi lacquer pens from Wancher. Look how dang pretty it is

I've handled some of the urushi Wancher Dream Pens and they're pretty unmatched in that price bracket, though since I paid the big bucks for a Nakaya I'm obliged to insist that Nakaya is superior. The Nakaya finish is a teeny bit smoother, but it's probably not the sort of difference that justifies double the price.

Edit: I should add though that I've heard that the QC on Dream Pens was garbage, and some friends of friends did return theirs IIRC.

Dad Hominem fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 6, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The "roughness" of the lacquer is part of the appeal for me. I like a good shiny black but the little imperfections have a nice wabi-sabi quality to them that brings the whole together

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What's the Wancher solid gold nib like? Is it also a JoWo or do they use something else?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Heath posted:

I am seriously considering just selling off the majority of my pens and getting one of these urushi lacquer pens from Wancher. Look how dang pretty it is

I think you should follow you heart. Do you want rationalizations for spending 300~500 on a pen, I can help you with that. You can also acknowledge that this is all about emotions and allow yourself to be an emotional person.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dad Hominem posted:

I've handled some of the urushi Wancher Dream Pens and they're pretty unmatched in that price bracket, though since I paid the big bucks for a Nakaya I'm obliged to insist that Nakaya is superior. The Nakaya finish is a teeny bit smoother, but it's probably not the sort of difference that justifies double the price.

Edit: I should add though that I've heard that the QC on Dream Pens was garbage, and some friends of friends did return theirs IIRC.

I got a custom-made aka-tamenuri pen from Michał at https://tamenuri.com/ for sligthtly less than what a Wancher costs. I can recommend him without hesitation, though you will be waiting a while.

e: oh, huh, he's stopped taking commissions :(

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 6, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Keetron posted:

I think you should follow you heart. Do you want rationalizations for spending 300~500 on a pen, I can help you with that. You can also acknowledge that this is all about emotions and allow yourself to be an emotional person.

Are you offering:

1) to buy some pens;
2) encouragement;
C) both?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Heath posted:

Are you offering:

1) to buy some pens;
2) encouragement;
C) both?

Encouragement. 2021 is my year of "only buy stuff to replace stuff" and so far I went wrong only twice (bought art and a HR monitor for sports). This is also because 2020 was the year of "retail therapy is real" and in some domains I have more stuff than I will likely ever use. Fountain pens is such a domain. But you do you and sell your pens to get another pen, the activity of selling and buying is a perfectly valid hobby by itself.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I want that glass nibbed fountain pen.

But I grew up poor, and a 300$ pen is morally offensive to me.

But I really want it. It's pretty!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

I want that glass nibbed fountain pen.

But I grew up poor, and a 300$ pen is morally offensive to me.

But I really want it. It's pretty!

If you haven’t already, you might try a glass-nib dip pen, which Jetpens has several of for like $30 each. It’s not the same, but it would let you get a feel for glass pens, the nibs are similarly pretty (although the body is different), and most importantly an order of magnitude cheaper.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Arcsech posted:

If you haven’t already, you might try a glass-nib dip pen, which Jetpens has several of for like $30 each. It’s not the same, but it would let you get a feel for glass pens, the nibs are similarly pretty (although the body is different), and most importantly an order of magnitude cheaper.

I have a couple of them- and I'm gonna be real here: I just want it to flex. I just want fancy things
I just don't want to pay for them.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Does the glass nib flex? I thought it was just a glass dip pen that had been modified to take a converter.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

Does the glass nib flex? I thought it was just a glass dip pen that had been modified to take a converter.

Maybe it is- I just like pretty things.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Chip McFuck posted:

The one I have (which admittedly is an old 30's thing) absolutely doesn't. I don't know how a glass nib would be able to flex, to be honest - they are pretty much glass dips fitted into normal pen bodies. And glass is not exactly known for being flexible.

Mine writes like a nail dripped in butter, tho. It's great, and pretty different from the normal nib experience. However, one knock to the tip and it becomes useless and unfixable (except by replacement)

Shellception fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 6, 2021

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

flexible glass :thunk:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I just realized 'flex' as in 'to show off'. Welp. Like, I knew a flexible glass nib wasn't a thing but I was so ready to believe...

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Just want to thank Chip McFuck for the M200. It arrived this morning (with a bonus Wing Sung 601) and it's a great looking, and writing, pen. Immediately inked it with some take-sumi to get some work done.

Chip, you rock.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

bulletsponge13 posted:

a 300$ pen is morally offensive to me.

embrace hedonism you coward

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My Rotring Came in today- the seller included a free pen that looks like a Hero, but is marked 'Kero'. It was a nice thing to include.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

bulletsponge13 posted:

My Rotring Came in today- the seller included a free pen that looks like a Hero, but is marked 'Kero'. It was a nice thing to include.

Are we reaching a point where we are getting knock offs of knock offs?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There have been Hero 616 counterfeits around for quite some time. I mean, actual counterfeits with Hero branding on them and everything that still managed to cheaper.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That was my first thought. Lol.

This Rotring feels classy. It's lighter than my Muji, but balances and flows well. It feels like a much more expensive pen. It looks classy, too.

I don't dress 'nice' often. But I have things like a cheap Invicta to class it up. This is the fountain pen version of my cheap invicta.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

That was my first thought. Lol.

This Rotring feels classy. It's lighter than my Muji, but balances and flows well. It feels like a much more expensive pen. It looks classy, too.

I don't dress 'nice' often. But I have things like a cheap Invicta to class it up. This is the fountain pen version of my cheap invicta.

As someone who's also into watches, is it though? Invicta (in many circles) is the laughing stock of watches as they have inflated MSRPs without the right quality of materials to back it up. There are maybe a handful of models that are worth their price, but in most cases people wouldn't be caught dead with one.

I don't own any Rotrings, but have always eyed them as they seem to be a respectable brand with a deserving price tag.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It looks pretty. Which is my standard of nice. I'm not a watch dude. It was the first time I spent more than 40$ on a watch. It was 60$ or 100$, and is their lowest end. But it's fancy looks nicer than my normal hot pink/black digital watch on a NATO Strap.

I'm a cargo pants and untucked button down type dude. All of my poo poo is mostly utilitarian, not for looks/class. So keep in mind I'm white trash trying to be J-Lo on a budget.

The Rotring feels nicer than it looks, but it is a nice looking pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bank posted:

I don't own any Rotrings, but have always eyed them as they seem to be a respectable brand with a deserving price tag.

Rotring doesn't really exist as a fountain pen maker any more. They make drafting supplies and calligraphy pens, and that's about it.

Also, please leave the watch snobbery out of this thread.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The fake hero 616 has been a thing for quite some time, sadly.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

grack posted:

Also, please leave the watch snobbery out of this thread.

:argh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Look, there's a whole other thread for watch snobbery. This thread is for fountain pen snobbery.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Ok back to fountain pens then. Anyone know what could cause a nib to not flow on certain strokes? When using Noodler's black and writing the letter "c," the top of the letter looks washed out/faded. The rest of the letter seems fine though. I suspect it was an ink issue (maybe there's still some water in the filler) but I've put down a fair amount of lines and can't imagine there being any water in there anymore.

Anything specific I should look into to troubleshoot? It's a relatively cheap pen, so I'm not too concerned, but would love to revive it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Does it happen when you first start writing a word or is it random?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
It doesn't matter when I start writing, it's more along the type of stroke. Holding it correctly using the right hand, when I do a back stroke (right to left) the ink is greyish, but any forward or down strokes are darker, as expected.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The tines are misaligned or the tipping isn't shaped properly. Likely the former, but I can't be certain.

Sorry, can't really diagnose further without having the pen in hand.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Got a buddy for the crab the other day:

Also, I'm selling a Pilot Capless if anyone wants to get their hands on one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961127

Bank posted:

Ok back to fountain pens then. Anyone know what could cause a nib to not flow on certain strokes? When using Noodler's black and writing the letter "c," the top of the letter looks washed out/faded. The rest of the letter seems fine though. I suspect it was an ink issue (maybe there's still some water in the filler) but I've put down a fair amount of lines and can't imagine there being any water in there anymore.

Anything specific I should look into to troubleshoot? It's a relatively cheap pen, so I'm not too concerned, but would love to revive it.

If it's one of the pens you bought from me, I did give them a thorough cleaning before mailing them so it could be that some water didn't dry out before you started writing with it. Hopefully that's all it is, but if the problem persists feel free to give me a PM.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Chip McFuck posted:

If it's one of the pens you bought from me, I did give them a thorough cleaning before mailing them so it could be that some water didn't dry out before you started writing with it. Hopefully that's all it is, but if the problem persists feel free to give me a PM.
Ha, it is (Pen BBS); seriously, you gave me such a great deal if it ends up not working out no big deal. Don't stress about it :)

I do think there may be some more water in there that just needs to get flushed out, so I'm going to try and clean/dry it out tonight.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ok, so is there a sealant or something I can put over non-water resistant inks to preserve them for modge podge/ future art shenanigans?

And any tips for photographing the inks on pages.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

bulletsponge13 posted:

Ok, so is there a sealant or something I can put over non-water resistant inks to preserve them for modge podge/ future art shenanigans?

Hairspray or rubbing a candle over it are the usual go-tos, I think?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

If you want something archival, then Spectrafix is used by a lot of artists to protect their water-based media or the undercoating of paintings. Has the benefit of being odorless and non-toxic too, so you can use it indoors.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks. I'm just a little bummed a project didn't come out better. It's for art therapy, and I know it's ok to make bad art, but it's still disappointing.

Crappy pic because my house has terrible lighting.

But drat, the ink in person is gorgeous. Diamond Brandy Dazzle, and that green/blue metallic some goon shared with the weird name like Green Upon Avon or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm back!

And I'm now up to six* pens

*One is dead, dropped it on the nib :negative:

Pen 1: pilot metropolitan, fine nib, purple body. Had a drop which hosed the nib up, so it's retired.

Pen 2: TWSBI eco, fine nib, purple cap. Loaded with noodler's v mail north african violet

Pen 3: TWSBI eco, fine nib, black cap. Loaded with noodler's Dark Matter

Pen 4: Platinum Curidas, fine nib, blue body. It's my day to day pen, loaded with noodler's 54th massachusetts

Pen 5: speedball 1.1mm stub nib. Bought it on a lark, not a fan of italic nibs after trying it. Loaded with speedball black ink

Pen 6: pilot metropolitan, fine nib, gray body. Loaded with noodler's lexington gray

Somehow I haven't had the issue with the curidas, despite it being my daily pen for... Well I take orders at work with it because I'm a classy bitch (knock on loving wood here)

I did manage to relearn how to write underhand, so more inks here I come. Also I need a LAMY Safari in mango and load it with noodler's habanero for the obvious joke

iospace fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 10, 2021