Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is awesome but also I refuse to believe anyone got DCS running at more than 10fps

https://i.imgur.com/o47iBd8.mp4

I didn't go to quite that extent, but I built a frame/mount out of PVC for my HOTAS and spent time to line it up 1:1 with the Elite cockpit. Really ups the immersion factor. I've been giving a lot of thought lately to building a control panel for a Cessna that matches the cockpit for MSFS2020, but I'd have to lay out for a yoke and new throttle so that's been on the back burner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
When I was a kid, my mind was blown at how clear the world could be the first time I put on glasses. I had the same feeling last night when I pumped up all the settings on VD and SteamVR. I honestly thought that playing over wifi naturally made things slightly blurry.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

When I was a kid, my mind was blown at how clear the world could be the first time I put on glasses. I had the same feeling last night when I pumped up all the settings on VD and SteamVR. I honestly thought that playing over wifi naturally made things slightly blurry.

Yep, it seems the limiting factor to have a better experience right now is less on the vr hardware (panel, lenses) and more on the computer hardware.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does Zero Caliber VR do anything interesting that would make it worth getting if I already have stuff like H3VR?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jack Trades posted:

Does Zero Caliber VR do anything interesting that would make it worth getting if I already have stuff like H3VR?

I thought Zero Calibre was a novel but ultimately not very good FPS. It's more like a 2000s-era FPS in VR, if that helps. Gun handling is kinda meh. H3VR is one of my favorite games but I consider the fact that it's a bunch of scenes a plus, I could see someone wanting more of a single-player experience/campaign and Zero Calibre would be more like that.

I wouldn't spend $25 on it, but I got it in a bundle and that seems like the best route to kick the tires.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This may be a dumb question but there seems to be a lot of different things to do in H3VR, what are some of the best modes in that game? I picked it up but didn't put much time in it because other than the Christmas event where you were shooting worms and stuff on a mountainside I just kinda went to the range and shot some guns until I was bored with it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

explosivo posted:

This may be a dumb question but there seems to be a lot of different things to do in H3VR, what are some of the best modes in that game? I picked it up but didn't put much time in it because other than the Christmas event where you were shooting worms and stuff on a mountainside I just kinda went to the range and shot some guns until I was bored with it.

Take and Hold is an urban defense/attack kind of game mode with progression.
Rotwiener is an open world zombie shooter "story" kind of experience with quests n poo poo.

Those are the modes that are actual games. They really should be made WAY more noticeable on that gamemode selection board.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

Take and Hold is an urban defense/attack kind of game mode with progression.
Rotwiener is an open world zombie shooter "story" kind of experience with quests n poo poo.

Those are the modes that are actual games. They really should be made WAY more noticeable on that gamemode selection board.

Thanks, I appreciate it. That selection board is definitely a lot to take in for someone who doesn't know what the modes all do. Those both sound pretty cool though so I'll definitely check those out!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

explosivo posted:

Thanks, I appreciate it. That selection board is definitely a lot to take in for someone who doesn't know what the modes all do. Those both sound pretty cool though so I'll definitely check those out!

H3VR also has interesting custom levels that are worth checking out!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jack Trades posted:

I keep waffling on whether or not to pick up Hard Bullet but I want a VR head from the thread to weigh in before I pull any triggers. Zero Caliber doesn't look interesting in the least

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The M.E.A.T mode is a pretty cool shooting gallery where you have to buy guns and stuff. Take and Hold is the core gameplay and Rottenwiener is probably the best VR rogue-like shooter available.

The other modes have some hidden gems, like king of the grill in meatmas or the werstworld mode is weird and fun. They're all pretty light though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lockback posted:

The M.E.A.T mode is a pretty cool shooting gallery where you have to buy guns and stuff. Take and Hold is the core gameplay and Rottenwiener is probably the best VR rogue-like shooter available.

The other modes have some hidden gems, like king of the grill in meatmas or the werstworld mode is weird and fun. They're all pretty light though.

drat, I had no idea the game had stuff like this. Thanks for the info everyone!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ask questions about it if you need. Anton does an amazingly poo poo job of telling you how to play the game he made, there's tons of mechanics and stuff that are not at all clear. That said, there's tons in there and the design of the games is really pretty good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hah I was trying to figure out what game you all were talking about then the “rottweiner” mode tipped me off. That has been in my wishlist but it looks like it doesn’t usually go on sales anyway so I should probably just buy it!

It does seem to complain that my roomscale setup may not be big enough, is it a huge issue? I can probably make it bigger just gotta push some furniture out of the way.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I picked up a PSVR on sale the other day and I find it to be a much better fit for me and my eyes than the Quest 2.

But lordy, the tracking on the move controllers very much feels like ancient technology. Reminds me of fiddling around with the Wii motion controls back in the day, where things work.... most of the time.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

priznat posted:

Hah I was trying to figure out what game you all were talking about then the “rottweiner” mode tipped me off. That has been in my wishlist but it looks like it doesn’t usually go on sales anyway so I should probably just buy it!

It does seem to complain that my roomscale setup may not be big enough, is it a huge issue? I can probably make it bigger just gotta push some furniture out of the way.

Shouldn't be an issue at all, there are lots of movement options. Sometimes I play sitting down and just use twin stick movement for everything.

The other thing I've found roomscale important for is in take and hold when you really need to peer around cover to avoid getting blown up, but that doesn't take up much space

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm so loving bad at Take and Hold. Wish game had aim-assist ala Pistol Whip for people like me.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 9, 2021

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I realized the stutter issues I had with my quest 2 and VD were because I maxed out the encoding quality to 150mbps. Woops...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm so loving bad at Take and Hold. Wish game had aim-assist ala Pistol Whip for people like me.

Yeah I'm seriously garbage at take and hold and it feels real bad when you have 5 bullets to miss 4 of them.

I know you can melee but if you run out of ammo it feels like its basically just game over.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm seriously garbage at take and hold and it feels real bad when you have 5 bullets to miss 4 of them.

I know you can melee but if you run out of ammo it feels like its basically just game over.

Jack Trades posted:

Give yourself laser sights! If you haven't already!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

are you playing with spawn-locking turned off? or just mean reloading takes too long?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jenny Agutter posted:

are you playing with spawn-locking turned off? or just mean reloading takes too long?

I only even learned spawn locking was a thing awhile ago and haven't played a ton since, needs to be better explained in-game

but even with ammo its pretty easy to fumble and miss and unload a clip on accident :sweatdrop:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah you might as well use the item spawner to get some attachments if you are really struggling or just want to have a more chill run through

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I only even learned spawn locking was a thing awhile ago and haven't played a ton since, needs to be better explained in-game

but even with ammo its pretty easy to fumble and miss and unload a clip on accident :sweatdrop:

You can extrapolate that out to basically the entire game

Man does H3VR need like any kind of tutorializing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Booyah- posted:

Yeah you might as well use the item spawner to get some attachments if you are really struggling or just want to have a more chill run through

Yeah, try playing with unlimited ammo (it does cause more bad hot dogs to spawn) or even just use the item spawner and do rambo runs, that's perfectly cool too.

Anton has also made some changes to make it a lot better for new players in terms of difficulty ramping the last couple months. Honestly the best part of h3vr is the fact that its actively being worked on.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ishikabibble posted:

You can extrapolate that out to basically the entire game

Man does H3VR need like any kind of tutorializing.

Yeah, I didn't know that you could hold a button to "palm" a bunch of single bullets at once (and store those grouped bullets in a single pocket, and take them out all at once) until I saw him do it in a dev update. Immediately made revolvers much more appealing.

H3VR is a great sandbox with some nice gameplay, and gently caress you if you want to be told how anything works.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Shine posted:

Yeah, I didn't know that you could hold a button to "palm" a bunch of single bullets at once (and store those grouped bullets in a single pocket, and take them out all at once) until I saw him do it in a dev update. Immediately made revolvers much more appealing.

H3VR is a great sandbox with some nice gameplay, and gently caress you if you want to be told how anything works.

Wait what you can palm bullets

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

Yeah, with the new streamlined controls its just one of the buttons now. You can hold a stack of them. Most revolvers you can palm like 12 rounds and store them in 1 slot, then load them by just moving your hand around the chambers. He just redid how speed loaders pose but before that speedloaders were generally slower.

And yes, things like how to ammo lock or how to use the ammo refill stations are totally hidden unless you happened to watch a devlog from Feb 2018

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yeah, the only tutorial is like 3 years of devlogs, some of which are changes to things in earlier devlogs.

This game needs a solid tutorial and I feel like 80-90% of it could be done in 10m or less.

Also get better hands immediately, it's so much better for rock and lock and other mag styles that have to be manually removed.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beat Saber update

quote:

Hey players, we just released a new update bringing several tweaks and improvements to Beat Saber. Check what's new in the game!

New Multiplayer results screen
New Badges after playing a Multiplayer match
New gameplay Modifiers
New main menu UI with new music
Custom colors for other players in Multiplayer
Updated lighting system
Various tweaks and fixes

modifiers (from their twitter):
- Super Fast Song - +150% Speed.
- Pro Mode (BETA) - Hitboxes are the same size as the cubes.
- Strict Angles (BETA) - You need to match your swing to the direction of the arrow much more precisely.
- Small Notes (BETA) - Notes are visually 50% smaller, the hitbox is not reduced as far though.
- Zen Mode - All Notes and UI are gone. Just enjoy the song, lights and environment.
Three of the new Modifiers are in BETA, that means we're now testing them. Modifiers in BETA don't have positive score multiplicator, and you won't get a higher score.
Also, we changed the naming of the Modifier Battery Energy to 4 Lives and Insta Fail Modifier to 1 Life.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ishikabibble posted:

Every time :allears:

Yeah, I don't remember the exact combination off the top of my head, but you can hold one of the buttons/touchpad directions while grabbing to grab multiple bullets at once, and they'll behave as a group when you pocket them or remove them from a pocket. Makes revolvers so much better.

E: that's what I get for sitting on the reply screen. Beaten with better info!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It really is a terrible new player experience, it took me forever to figure out how to spawn magazines until I found the dev blog about how to spawn infinite magazines and stuff. I spent so much time in that Christmas event staring at the bullet spawning menu thing because I figured the only way to do it must be to spawn in 30 bullets and insert them into a magazine.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

At one point I thought that in Take and Hold you were limited to whatever ammo you got when buying a gun, which is like two mags cause nothing explains ammo locking.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just got h3vr and it is cool as heck, especially being a semi reformed gun nerd.

I have no idea how to play against the ai in stuff though I loaded a capture and hold thing and wandered around empty hallways with a luger for a bit.

Just mucking about on the ranges is great fun though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

priznat posted:

I just got h3vr and it is cool as heck, especially being a semi reformed gun nerd.

I have no idea how to play against the ai in stuff though I loaded a capture and hold thing and wandered around empty hallways with a luger for a bit.

Just mucking about on the ranges is great fun though.

You have a map on your wrist that shows where stuff is. I'll let you figure it what that stuff is, but it's all marked.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Had h3vr been updated to not show the control bindings on a loving vive wand yet? :argh:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Does anyone have any opinions on Into the Radius or Stride?

I enjoyed the first stalker so Into the Radius looks neat, but I'm not real sure how my computer will handle it.

Stride looks a bit less graphically intensive, but more active, though I'm cautious with it being in EA. Both are on sale, though.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I returned stride after an hour. I genuinely tried to give it a chance but I couldn't get used to the jump. You have to release the grip button after throwing your arms up, but I could never get the exact timing down. It definitely shows promise but I am going to wait until there's more content before buying it.

If it takes me 2~3 hours to get good at movement, I probably wouldn't be far off from seeing all of the game in it's current state

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Xaintrailles posted:

For Quest 2 virtual desktop wireless, it is possible to use 2.4 GHz wifi for the connection to the internet router?
Normal setup is:

Because getting a wire from the router to my PC isn't possible.
Every leg has enough bandwidth (my internet is slow), but I don't know if it's possible to configure things like this. I believe the bottom one would work with Win 10 as a network bridge and the router in AP mode, but network bridge mode seems picky about how it's set up.

I can think of three ways how you could arrange this. The neatest solution would be if you can configure the 5GHz router to act as a client in the 2.4GHz Wifi and then share the internet connection to your PC over wire and to Quest 2 over 5GHz. But I'm not hopeful how many consumer Wifi routers would capable of this. If it were running something like OpenWRT maybe there could be a chance.

The second solution would be to get a 2.4GHz Wifi NIC for the PC and use Internet Connection Sharing to provide connection for the dedicated router and Q2. I have done this many times, usually with laptops. But recent versions of Win 10 have broken this functionality, when you plug in cable it will disable Wifi because obviously cable is better than Wifi, even if the cable doesn't have internet access. Last time I tried this I used all kinds of tricks but just couldn't make it work.

The most sure way to do this is to buy a dedicated device to work as Wifi ethernet bridge. It will connect to the 2.4GHz Wifi and then share this connection for the PC and 5GHz router over cable. But this is a bit of a niche use case, so it's a bit difficult to find a device that is designed to work like this and that I would trust to work correctly. ASUS RP-N12 looks like the most promising option.

Nalin posted:

Yes, you should be able to configure the "or ideally" setup. It might be best to ask in an SHSC networking thread or something, but generally you would configure the 5 GHz router to be on a different IP address range and have your computer be on two networks at once (one WiFi and the other ethernet). Your computer will know which interface to route its data to.

My only concern is if typical consumer router firmware would be able to be manually configured like that (they typically use DHCP to get their WAN-side configuration from your ISP). I've used OpenWRT flashed gear forever so I'm just not quite sure what stock firmware would allow.

I think a slightly better way is to configure the router dedicated for Q2 to work only as an access point. I got ASUS RT-AC66U for this use and I disabled the DHCP server in it. I plugged the ethernet cable from my internet router to one of the LAN ports and connected my desktop to another. My desktop and Q2 receive their IP settings from my internet router and they are all on the same network without extra NAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hold up, beatsaber has multiplayer?