Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

readingatwork posted:

Robbie and Bobby (Jun 10-17, 2019)

pun-pun can't catch a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

EBB posted:

All this time I totally missed that Leonardo was that lady's kid. Which makes gene wizard the grandmother of Leonardo? HOLBROOK YOU HACK

Also several other historically famous artists, including Andy Warhol, are just Leonardo traveling through time.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
No DtWOF today because I misplaced my phone charger and can't grab a picture. However:
Sam's Strip (3/12/1962)

Batman (11/9/1989)

This is ostensibly a direct follow-up to the 1989 Tim Burton Batman so this roughly matches up with the end of that movie, in which Batman does in fact rescue Vicki Vale from the Joker by causing him to fall to his death, although iirc this isn't really how it was staged-- I remember a heavy stone gargoyle being involved somehow.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"sorry i was distracted by turning into a hobbit"

"My arms! Oh god, what's happening to my arms!?"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zerilan posted:

Also several other historically famous artists, including Andy Warhol, are just Leonardo traveling through time.

“Hey kid wanna know your future? You get shot by the SCUM manifesto author”

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (April 2, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 4, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 21, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 16, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 16, 1935)

Dark Laughter (December 18, 1942)

Mopsy Sunday (December 21, 1947)

Those Were the Days (January 17, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (June 7, 1965)

Wee Pals (June 7, 1965)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (January 17, 1952)

Yep

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Edmund knows what he likes.
Now that is the look of a man who has figured poo poo out.

The Dinette Set plays the waiting game.

Working Daze finally pays off this "joke".

Super-Fun-Pak Comix hasn't aged well.

Cul De Sac need to put its heads together.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Is this a cigar or a sneer I'm sure it MUST be a cigar but I can't stop seeing both of them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

I'm not one to defend Fastrack often, but internal recommendations are a really good source for job applicants. And if Dethany can get Trellis to agree to a hybrid office/remote work environment, that will be a good cultural shift for the company. I don't think there's anything wrong with Dethany recommending her friend for the role.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Safety Dance posted:

I'm not one to defend Fastrack often, but internal recommendations are a really good source for job applicants. And if Dethany can get Trellis to agree to a hybrid office/remote work environment, that will be a good cultural shift for the company. I don't think there's anything wrong with Dethany recommending her friend for the role.

This is a good and valid point in a vacuum, but nothing about Fastrack has convinced the thread that it's the kind of company that gets run responsibly or reasonably, and that's frequently the actual joke.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Safety Dance posted:

Caphi posted:

This is a good and valid point in a vacuum, but nothing about Fastrack has convinced the thread that it's the kind of company that gets run responsibly or reasonably, and that's frequently the actual joke.

Yeah, remember this is the company where the boss's idea of work from home is getting her employees to live and work from her mansion while vacating their own homes. Why would she allow someone to work somewhere that she can't physically glower at them?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Drakyn posted:

Is this a cigar or a sneer I'm sure it MUST be a cigar but I can't stop seeing both of them.

I saw it as a sneer, but it could be a cigar as well! Or both!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drakyn posted:

I originally saw a sneer but that's DOLPHINATELY a cigar

Strong Kelly energy from that expression

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Here's today's unedited Luann. Tiggum's is better.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Safety Dance posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with Dethany recommending her friend for the role.
are you loving kidding me. that workplace is a centre for abuse. dethany is like "oh remember my friend? what if we took advantage of the pandemic to pull her into this nightmare cult?"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Julet Esqu posted:

Here's today's unedited Luann. Tiggum's is better.

what is the point of panel two

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A blind adherence to a three-panel setup.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

How Wonderful! posted:

No DtWOF today because I misplaced my phone charger and can't grab a picture. However:
Sam's Strip (3/12/1962)

Batman (11/9/1989)

This is ostensibly a direct follow-up to the 1989 Tim Burton Batman so this roughly matches up with the end of that movie, in which Batman does in fact rescue Vicki Vale from the Joker by causing him to fall to his death, although iirc this isn't really how it was staged-- I remember a heavy stone gargoyle being involved somehow.

I'm interested in how this batman story turns out with the joker being dead already.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

readingatwork posted:

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Robbie and Bobby is so good.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 10, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (January 17-21, 2000)

Someone itt mentioned that Tammy only loved Ray because of his body, and that was spot-on, honestly.

It's interesting seeing Classic K&K again because Tammy and Ray have to be one of Holbrook's most toxic pairings ever. Someone else mentioned that Ray could've used his newfound intelligence to figure out that having feelings for Lindesfarne isn't going to jeopardize her relationship, he could just move on and find someone else to love. But no, his only solution for his dilemma is to shoot himself with the intelligence ray and make himself stupid again.

As for Tammy, she only got together with Ray for his body, and she was taking advantage of him being too gullible to refuse being in a relationship with her. Maybe Holbrook realized how unhealthy this is, but instead of breaking them up, his solution is to 'punish' Tammy for her shallowness by giving her a disability and forcing her to be dependent on Ray so she can appreciate him.

It doesn't matter if the resolution is ableist and that the two aren't suited for each other, Holbrook needs them to stay together for more pregnancies to happen.

catlord posted:

Just, uh... just gonna drop that in there, huh? No explanation, just magic. I dig it, but what a weird, unusually horny, rather disjointed story. Poor Mark. He comes back at some point later, don't worry. It looks like a couple stories before then though.

I'm mostly confused that magic exists in the setting now, even if it adds absolutely nothing. Axa is usually a massive idiot that it didn't even register to me that she was in a trance when she went back to the old lady. Also, Dirk has to be the worst boyfriend so far, what with his constantly being an rear end in a top hat and urging Axa to abandon saving others.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

At the very end it's Batman and Vale hanging off a ledge high up Gotham Cathedral, and the Joker tries to escape in a helicopter, dangling off a rope ladder. Batman fires a bola gadget that wraps around Joker's ankle and the gargoyle, Joker tries to wrench himself free, the gargoyle breaks off its pedestal and the weight drags him off the ladder. Not easy to fit in a single panel. They do have a fistfight before all that happens, though. I've seen that movie a lot.

Batman's tenet against killing has never kept writers from writing stories where he clearly causes deaths in a sort of plausibly deniable way, even before Arkham Asylum and Batman Begins.

Samovar posted:

I'm interested in how this batman story turns out with the joker being dead already.
Much like that fact has never kept writers from writing stories with the Joker in them :v:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

My Lovely Horse posted:

At the very end it's Batman and Vale hanging off a ledge high up Gotham Cathedral, and the Joker tries to escape in a helicopter, dangling off a rope ladder. Batman fires a bola gadget that wraps around Joker's ankle and the gargoyle, Joker tries to wrench himself free, the gargoyle breaks off its pedestal and the weight drags him off the ladder. Not easy to fit in a single panel. They do have a fistfight before all that happens, though. I've seen that movie a lot.

Batman's tenet against killing has never kept writers from writing stories where he clearly causes deaths in a sort of plausibly deniable way, even before Arkham Asylum and Batman Begins.

In the NES adaptation he straight up murders Joker (of course the licensed games were/are often based on limited material and mostly done before the film was finished)

Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 10, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (January 24-28, 2000)

And so resolves the Tammy-Ray plot line.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Every comic strip is someone's first, so this is so new readers will know the dead girl who will never appear again after this story is over is named Tara.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Taking a page out of the Johnston handbook of building trust in your kids I see.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My Lovely Horse posted:

Taking a page out of the Johnston handbook of building trust in your kids I see.

Stupid Curtis should have sniffed the air first.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Every comic strip is someone's first, so this is so new readers will know the dead girl who will never appear again after this story is over is named Tara.

I'm sure the person named Tara's cousin will face in strip justice.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tara's cousin is the most interesting Luanna character now.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
We'll say it again, but WHAT THE gently caress, LYNN?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I don't understand this one?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't understand this one?

shoe stew, who knew?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That took me a minute as well.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nightcrawlers - 1957

Keep seeing this as drawn by Gary Larson.

More 2020 mood

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One Big Happy: now too senile to even attempt to disguise its core tenet of "crafty grandparent completely owns lazy millenial layabout" as any kind of joke in the slightest way