Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any mods for tweaking base invasions? I want to be attacked by hundreds of trolls.

Imagine golems coming at a painstakingly built base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

litany of gulps posted:

I see in the reply to this that there's a mod that can be used to modify or disable raids. I'm not a fan of the raids, but greydwarves are whatever because they do zero damage. If I use cheat mode to just give myself the swamp key or other similar items without defeating the corresponding bosses, would the low level raids continue even though I would be able to continue progression in my game?

Edit: Or to be more clear, would that keep the low level raids in place even as I moved on in the game, rather than allowing the low level raids to be replaced by higher level monsters? I'd rather not fuss with a mod if there's an easier option.

Don't cheat. Just get on a private server with the seed with all 5 bosses near the starting point and kill them there , then bring the heads back to your dedicated server. Pure benefit that way

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Don't cheat. Just get on a private server with the seed with all 5 bosses near the starting point and kill them there , then bring the heads back to your dedicated server. Pure benefit that way

And setting the trophy on the stone circle in my primary world wouldn't trigger the higher level raids? I'm not feeling like I'm missing out on the boss experience one way or the other, and I don't particularly want to mess up my primary world. If the raids were a real threat, I'd have to dig a trench around my bases, and I just don't want to bother.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Raids are bad for FPS because they make you terraform around your base!! :psyduck:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well Bonemass is down even if it was a bit tedious. So far so good, though thenI went back to my boat and only found the lonely cargo swimming on the surface. No idea what happened.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

litany of gulps posted:

And setting the trophy on the stone circle in my primary world wouldn't trigger the higher level raids? I'm not feeling like I'm missing out on the boss experience one way or the other, and I don't particularly want to mess up my primary world. If the raids were a real threat, I'd have to dig a trench around my bases, and I just don't want to bother.

No, it won't. I did it myself to test and have the bonemass head hung on the altar stone but no raids of drakes and whatnot, just draugrs and skeletons

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can do quite a lot of base building without buggering up the FPS, IMO, and weirdly the game seems to perform significantly worse at my smaller, starter base than than my big castle base.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

genericnick posted:

Well Bonemass is down even if it was a bit tedious. So far so good, though thenI went back to my boat and only found the lonely cargo swimming on the surface. No idea what happened.

So far I've noticed wandering mobs are attracted to 3 things above all: workbenches, standing torches, and boats.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 10, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of base attacks, how dangerous can mid- to late-game raids be, for Meadows bases? Since HERE is a very old pic of my island base in the making. (Don't hate me - that's very early on. I've built a lot more in my encampment and regrew grassy areas etc. on the island and trees on the mainland, so it looks much nicer now!)

I've got two wooden bridges on the left (only one in the pic, but the other leads to the opposite side of the river/strait) and I've since raised the ground beneath my palisades, so that enemies can't cross the water to the beach and attack the palisades. So theoretically, normal enemies will only be able to penetrate my defences via the gate on the left after swimming or using the bridges, or from my dock on the right after swimming. No idea about trolls and the like, though...big enemies like that are my main concern, I guess.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of base attacks, how dangerous can mid- to late-game raids be, for Meadows bases? Since HERE is a very old pic of my island base in the making. (Don't hate me - that's very early on. I've built a lot more in my encampment and regrew grassy areas etc. on the island and trees on the mainland, so it looks much nicer now!)

I've got two wooden bridges on the left (only one in the pic, but the other leads to the opposite side of the river/strait) and I've since raised the ground beneath my palisades, so that enemies can't cross the water to the beach and attack the palisades. So theoretically, normal enemies will only be able to penetrate my defences via the gate on the left after swimming or using the bridges, or from my dock on the right after swimming. No idea about trolls and the like, though...big enemies like that are my main concern, I guess.

Here's the thing about the raids. I've had troll raids, drake raids, surtling raids, skeleton, everything so far but the goblins. They last 2-3 minutes tops and the timer only counts down while you're in the circle area. Just wait them out. You can either kite the mobs around and wait or just sit in the walls with a hammer and repair them as the mobs attack. Even troll raids work like this - when the timer is up, they turn around and walk away. Surtling raids are my favorite because they're extremely fragile and drop surtling cores. Troll raids are nice for the leather. I see them less as a threat and more as resource delivery services.

Even if they wreck something, 100% of the resource cost of what they hit is right there on the ground. 90% of building a base is planning and resource gathering, and getting that poo poo built out the way you like it. It takes minutes to recover because you already know how everything was.

I'll admit I'm nervous about the goblins - a 2-star chased me into my stone castle and I'll be damned if he didn't nearly break through a stone wall in just a couple hits. I can't imagine what a group of them could do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Goblins can and will trash the gently caress out of everything in their path, they are annoying as poo poo and should definitely get some sort of damage nerf against structures, IMO. Honestly I think damage to structures should be largely separate from normal damage, add dedicated sapper type units with picks or hammers to break walls and make normal weapons do flat rates of damage.

Certainly I think this is going to be necessary if they want to keep adding tiers because otherwise even thick stone walls are going to end up like cardboard. Either that or some way to reinforce structures.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 10, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

My goblin vulnerable base is protected by a Ha-ha and it works flawlessly, just make sure you have workbenches around so they can't spawn inside. You can even stand outside and blast 'em with a bow, they can't pathfind their way over to the bridge to bash down the gate.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Goblins can and will trash the gently caress out of everything in their path, they are annoying as poo poo and should definitely get some sort of damage nerf against structures, IMO. Honestly I think damage to structures should be largely separate from normal damage, add dedicated sapper type units with picks or hammers to break walls and make normal weapons do flat rates of damage.

Certainly I think this is going to be necessary if they want to keep adding tiers because otherwise even thick stone walls are going to end up like cardboard. Either that or some way to reinforce structures.

It's funny but historically in fantasy goblins are low-tier cannon fodder and in this game they're the worst fuckers there are, and their small size belies how much of your rear end you're about to get handed to you until you gear up that last tier.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I have a chuckle at the "if Odin wills it" part of the roadmap.

5illion+ in sales.

I'd say Odin loving willed it. He willed it pretty hard.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or maybe it was Odin willing them to retire to a tax haven

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

It's funny but historically in fantasy goblins are low-tier cannon fodder and in this game they're the worst fuckers there are, and their small size belies how much of your rear end you're about to get handed to you until you gear up that last tier.

Yeah, same for Battle Brothers - they've changed my perspective of goblins entirely!

Azhais posted:

Or maybe it was Odin willing them to retire to a tax haven

Yep! If Odin wanted them to release a whole load more content, they'd make the devs work for the money, surely? :D

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Every time I’ve gotten raided my first reaction has been immediately to run outside the base and start kiting poo poo away from the walls. Building maintenance is annoying and I’d rather die outside the walls and just do the short run back than let a troll or a few goblins smash exterior walls and start tearing up useful stuff.

I like the events, I wish there was a way to spawn them on demand, maybe with modifiable difficulty. Would be fun to spawn all 2* greydwarf raids just for the sake of playing tower defense (and to farm some resin)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be nice if there was some way to automatically, or at least area repair stuff, cos sometimes catching all the little details is fiddly.

Actually honestly I'm a bit surprised there isnt some kind of magic system in the game because the enemies can use it and you would think it would fit in with the whole collecting stuff aspect.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 10, 2021

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

No, it won't. I did it myself to test and have the bonemass head hung on the altar stone but no raids of drakes and whatnot, just draugrs and skeletons

Thanks for the tip! Just dumpstered The Elder in the boss seed world.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

causticBeet posted:

Every time I’ve gotten raided my first reaction has been immediately to run outside the base and start kiting poo poo away from the walls. Building maintenance is annoying and I’d rather die outside the walls and just do the short run back than let a troll or a few goblins smash exterior walls and start tearing up useful stuff.

I like the events, I wish there was a way to spawn them on demand, maybe with modifiable difficulty. Would be fun to spawn all 2* greydwarf raids just for the sake of playing tower defense (and to farm some resin)

You can spawn monsters with the console, and I think valheim+ has difficulty sliders

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It would be nice if there was some way to automatically, or at least area repair stuff, cos sometimes catching all the little details is fiddly.

Actually honestly I'm a bit surprised there isnt some kind of magic system in the game because the enemies can use it and you would think it would fit in with the whole collecting stuff aspect.

There's a mod (don't have the name atm, but it's one of the most downloaded build mods on the nexus) that makes repair an area action with a 2-3 meter radius. It's good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually wish the raids lasted longer, I think they're fun and it seems like by the time the raid has cleared all the deer, dwarves, and necks out of my region they decide it's time to run home and I've killed maybe five things.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, with just a little bit of preparation, Bonemass is annoying but not that hard.
The key, aside from poison resist potion is a maxed iron mace.

Being able to 1-shot ever glob of adds is a godsend. Parrying his one swipe is easy, running from the poison breath has a narrow but reasonable window.

I kinda want to do it again once I get silver items just to clown on him.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It took like 10 man hours and 15 iron pickaxe repairs but we now have a road circling half of a mountain, then a few switchbacks and then a steep descent to the forest, past the trader and to the castle. Took me 3.5 minutes pulling a cart with eikyr buff to clear the mountain and just over 6 total. Had only 180 silver ore in the cart since it's so heavy , and there's one tiny rise on the path that's almost entirely level and took effort to go up.

Lol at this highway

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

I know I put in a bug report for that one, the other thing I mentioned was that the screen shake and rumble when you're standing on a slope and sliding just a tad is a bit too reminiscent of a troll or other large creature attack. No idea if either is a bug.

You can turn off the screen shake in the gameplay options. I couldn't stand navigating around the mountains with it turned on, it was like a never ending earthquake.

I spent about 2 hours tonight on corpse runs, two deaths in a row before I was finally able to recover all my stuff. I really hate that mechanic, so I'm just going to mod it out. The skill loss and reset to spawn is bad enough. I usually just put up with this stuff but playing solo makes it way too easy to be utterly hosed by a badly timed death when you're exploring away from your portals, and it's just too much of a pain in the rear end to get your stuff back once ships get involved.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You got some screenshots of that mountain road or naw?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like subnautica already solved the stuff loss problem where you just lose anything you picked up since you left the base.

Woden
May 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Boats take a ton of fire damage so they've already got the vs. damage type thing going for player built stuff, but for whatever reason goblin daggers do normal damage to stone structures.

In any event my plains base is out in the open and I just kite any that come by away from structures so I don't break anything. It's next to a forest and swamp biome too, so every night is a light show as the greydwarves get wrecked and every morning I wake up to between half and a full stack of eyes/resin/wood/stone.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Of the melee weapons I've tried, spear is probably the best due to it's attack speed and fancy throw when you want to style on something, fang spear is a top weapon, maces are second best just because of how much is weak to bludgeoning damage, frostmer is ... okay, though, porcupine is better but by the time you get access to it the game is pretty much over.

Swords just don't have a place until they add enemies weak to slashing exclusively like there are for piercing and bludgeon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spears are good against single targets you just want to wale on because they just keep stabbing, but they only hit stuff right in front of you, other weapons have broad swings and are easier to hit with, also the blunt weapons have knockback which is good for crowd management, particularly with the cold damage of frostner slowing targets down too. Also if you get enemies wet then frost does extra damage to them which is worth considering on the defensive.

Swords are good if you want to hit in an area but don't want to have a high knockback, but they're expensive so eh.

I think personally spears should do a bit more damage on the throw, and possibly also like extra damage against big beasty enemies like trolls (though they are already weak to piercing) and lox.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Spent a while sailing yesterday to get to Bonemass's spawn near the west edge of the map. Ended up stopping for the night at some featureless terrain labeled as Mistlands, put down a teleporter and logged out. Logged back on today to see that all the usual mistlands terrain had generated, and the teleporter and boat were gone. Scouting around revealed that the mistlands was only bordered by plains and a mountain. Cue a desperate sprint through the longest stretch of plains I've ever seen to get to the other side. Thankfully there was a single dungeon in the neighboring black forest, so I was able to gather surtling cores on top of the required greydwarf eyes for a new teleporter. That was followed by another trip into the plains to chop down some finewood, which required killing a bunch of deathsquitoes and some goblins with only a finewood bow and troll leather armor. Felt pretty fuckin good to get out of there finally.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Do dungeons and troll caves automatically list on the map? I just started and only recently made it to the Black Forest, I haven't even found a dungeon yet and, while I've killed a single troll, I never found a cave.

What does the pathen tool do on the hoe? I've just been using flatten to make a trail as I explore.
Edit: any other baby tips for that area?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pathen just clears the vegetation I think.

And no nothing auto-generates map markers except the boss-spawns revealed by runestones. Everything you're seeing on screenshots is player marked by double-clicking the map.

Babby tips: mark out copper deposits. Look for tin near the shore. Collect thistles and blueberries, mark their locations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I have some mod that automatically marks stuff, I was wondering if that was a similar one since now my map is overrun with amrkers for mushrooms and berries. Did not know about double clicking!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

OwlFancier posted:

I think personally spears should do a bit more damage on the throw

But they are great for knocking poo poo off balance and then you just run up and get the thing and poke away for huge damage

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

signalnoise posted:

But they are great for knocking poo poo off balance and then you just run up and get the thing and poke away for huge damage

I dunno, they are good at fighting big things but there are no big things to fight other than trolls, which are a low level enemy.

Everything else is kind of easier to just fight with other weapons, so while they're good early game they seem to lose their intended function kinda quickly, there's just no much need for single target melee damage past the early game.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Of the melee weapons I've tried, spear is probably the best due to it's attack speed and fancy throw when you want to style on something, fang spear is a top weapon, maces are second best just because of how much is weak to bludgeoning damage, frostmer is ... okay, though, porcupine is better but by the time you get access to it the game is pretty much over.

Swords just don't have a place until they add enemies weak to slashing exclusively like there are for piercing and bludgeon.

I think the swords use less stamina, and I find them handy for grouping up mobs in the swamp and then just group slashing them all down so they die at my feet where I can scoop up the goodies. Too many times I maced dudes right into leech infested waters where their drops were then a pain to retrieve. Special attack is a nice thrust with good reach. Fully upgraded silver sword is pretty strong, and everything in the swamp takes that extra spirit damage from the silver. It also takes less time to reach the third slash of your combo which does far more damage than the first two.

They do need to add enemies with a weakness to slashing (Mistlands sounds good for that), but so far no matter the color of the number I'm seeing as long as the number is high I'm happy.

What I REALLY want is to dual-wield axes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really the game feels like it gives you a bunch of stuff but lacks the higher tier enemies against which it would be useful, you only get anti-undead damage after you're trivially murdering all the undead.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
This might not be a good idea, but it is An Idea

Previous results of An Idea include:

A jargogle fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So is the only thing pointing to the post swamp biome the invasions? Swamp key was pretty obvious, but wishbone is whatever.