Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

You should take a break from actual fixing/improving to give it a proper clean to remove all those 40 y o mouse turds.

Dealing with a project vehicle that is not moldy or full of turds and spiders makes things much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would bother but I live on a dirt road and it's parked in the woods and it is basically a battle I can't win. The mice and mud clods own the truck and it gets cleaned out once in a while. Hopefully it'll be better once we move and I build a barn to park in and a nice gravel driveway.

Darchangel posted:

As a tall, not small person, I feel your pain.
I'm a lot less narrow than I once was, but amazingly that doesn't cause any issue in this thing... The wheel hits my thighs like 3 or 4 inches up from the kneecap. It's just rather annoying to get into with a fixed column. Huge change with a tilt column tipped all the way up, like even better than I expected.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tilt/telescoping columns should have been mandated from day 1 imo.

I have to drive my Ranger with my legs splayed like I'm about to give birth.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah my dad's old ranger was incredibly uncomfortable to drive, honestly I'm not sure why people like those things. I particularly enjoyed the sudden realization that the weird thumping in the brake pedal at lights when it was raining was actually the wiper motor cycling flexing the entire firewall and moving the brake pedal under my foot. Truly high quality.

I wanted to like them really badly because the last Jeep pickup that doesn't cost 5 figures was made in 92 and I was running out of viable chassis to buy, but was underwhelmed at every turn both by his and my brothers. Oh well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well there's trouble in paradise with this steering column. It was mildly floppy so I figured the 4 bolts needed tightening like they always do on these. Dug in tonight to tighten them.

*Sad banjo twang*

I can buy em on eBay but I don't want to wait for delivery. Wish I'd dug into this last night, I would have gone junkyarding today and had it back together already. I guess it's gonna be dead till Monday then.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Make that Wednesday because my loving neighbors decided to park in the middle of the road again (I think this is an ignorance thing not ill will at this point, but they're never there when I go over to politely ask to please not do that), the blue Comanche is still RWD only, and an hour of full throttle, half e-brake assaults on the hill resulted in getting stuck several times and never making it closer than 50ft from the top of the hill. Cool cool cool. Today I got the truck up the hill as more of the snow has melted, but it was too late to go junkyarding.

On the subject of the Miata IAT sensors - they made it through customs and the guy tested them out and... same result. No reading. Fortunately he is not blaming me for this (as I was extremely thorough in pre-shipment testing, like, he was a little impatient about it because I refused to ship until I was 100% certain they were within spec) and we're working through what possible causes could be. It seems that the signal wire may be shorted to ground in the harness somewhere, or it's incorrectly pinned out at the ECU end, or the ECU has failed. Not really sure which yet. Kind of wishing I could spare the time for an impromptu cross atlantic vacation because I'm sure it'd take me 15 minutes to find the issue in person, and I haven't been to England yet, but, well, pandemic, budget, time, etc.

I kind of wonder if his original sensor still works and he just needed wiring debug from the beginning. Guess we'll find out once the wiring works. I'm just hoping it's not the ECU as they're not exactly easy to come by at this point, and I'd feel pretty bad about this whole situation if that's what it is.

Hoping to get my drat GM column part tomorrow, get some more stuff done on the house and put the steering column back together on the Honcho, and then hit the hangar, unload this LQ9, and do my 4x4 swap. Should have been done weeks ago. Oh well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Quadruplepostin'

kastein posted:

On the subject of the Miata IAT sensors - they made it through customs and the guy tested them out and... same result. No reading. Fortunately he is not blaming me for this (as I was extremely thorough in pre-shipment testing, like, he was a little impatient about it because I refused to ship until I was 100% certain they were within spec) and we're working through what possible causes could be. It seems that the signal wire may be shorted to ground in the harness somewhere, or it's incorrectly pinned out at the ECU end, or the ECU has failed. Not really sure which yet.

:lol:

He's got a reading now! Turns out the hard copy of the install manual he got with the ECU was missing one page... The one page that tells you to repin the old PAS up-idle switch wire to the correct input on the new plugin ECU. So the ECU was reading a whole lot of nothing. Sensor reads great now, dude very happy, we're now looking at marketing the remaining sensors and seeing if there's anyone ready to buy.

Sensors prior to shipment: (he ended up with a total of 5, and yes they got an antistatic bag)

(Really didn't want them getting smashed in shipment so they got the smallest shipping crate ever.)

It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing.

I loving hate this snap ring so god drat much

Fin

Ok, now back to what I had been working on before... Cruise control and instrument cluster adaptation. That's all for this post.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice, I love that steering wheel, classic Jeep.

Great job on the Miata sensors too, you should try contacting various Miata aftermarket websites about selling them. A buddy of mine developed a PPF vibration damper and Moss Motors picked it up. That was in like 2005 and they still sell them today.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Unfortunately it's only compatible with a rare (at this point) Link aftermarket mostly-plugin ECU designed for supercharger kits on (iirc - I thought it was OBD2 ones but his is a 92) NA chassis Miatas. Estimate is that there are single digit or low double digit numbers of this ECU even still existing, so the market is very small and most sites aren't likely to want to list them.

At this point I can make good money on production runs in the single digit range while beating the last price the original manufacturer of the kit offered them at ten years later, so hopefully the last few people with this setup will want a few spares each and then it'll be over. At that point I'll just keep the design files and any extra blank boards in case someone contacts me years later desperate for just one last replacement before they retire their 30 year old ECU at the end of the season or something.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Unfortunately it's only compatible with a rare (at this point) Link aftermarket mostly-plugin ECU designed for supercharger kits on (iirc - I thought it was OBD2 ones but his is a 92) NA chassis Miatas. Estimate is that there are single digit or low double digit numbers of this ECU even still existing, so the market is very small and most sites aren't likely to want to list them.

At this point I can make good money on production runs in the single digit range while beating the last price the original manufacturer of the kit offered them at ten years later, so hopefully the last few people with this setup will want a few spares each and then it'll be over. At that point I'll just keep the design files and any extra blank boards in case someone contacts me years later desperate for just one last replacement before they retire their 30 year old ECU at the end of the season or something.

And components. Obsolescence is getting BAD.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Haha. That lock ring is a loving blast, isn't it? I've pulled that ring off my Nova a few times now and it's only slightly less of a pain in the rear end to do now than it was the first time. Slightly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Oh wow, didn't realize it was that much of a niche.

You could make yourself known on Miata.net, that might get more interest but then you'd have to post on miata.net :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, the guy who bought them is doing a lot of that since he's already in the Miata world and isn't just signing up to spam them. I'd feel kind of weird about that.

sharkytm posted:

And components. Obsolescence is getting BAD.

Good point, I need to sign up for product lifecycle notices on anything important on this board. Luckily that's mostly the sensor IC itself, the rest of the components are pretty much commodity parts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Yeah, the guy who bought them is doing a lot of that since he's already in the Miata world and isn't just signing up to spam them. I'd feel kind of weird about that.

Oh that was a joke, you do not want to post on miata.net for any reason trust me

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing.

I loving hate this snap ring so god drat much

Fin

Ok, now back to what I had been working on before... Cruise control and instrument cluster adaptation. That's all for this post.

These are the pivot pins for the tilt, right? Looks like one was missing in the previous post?
Friend of mine got good at fixing GM tilt columns after fixing several Fiero ones.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah. No idea how, either the guy who built it for me forgot one, or he didn't get that deep into it (he only needed to swap a few things to get the combo of features I needed) and the previous owner of the donor YJ it came from left it out. Either way the price was extremely fair even in this condition, I'm more than happy. Just wish I had realized ahead of time, would have gone to get the pin it needed on the way home from getting the column.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well, I just got my bay at the hangar cleared out enough to pull the blue MJ in, took stock of my front driveshafts, and... It's on! Time to see if I can get this piece of poo poo stranded here unable to run.

And by that I mean IT'S 4WD AW4 SWAP TIME

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's 4wd now, gently caress yes. Only took eleven years of ownership to get around to it this time.

Ton of small ancillary crap to get done now, but I can wait on that. Even crawling under it to engage 4x4 sure beats watching it lazily spin one rear wheel and going back inside.

I guess I can ditch this RWD AW4 now... Or pull the tailhousing, cut the output shaft to 4x4 length, swap it to the 4x4 tailhousing, and try putting a Chevy 27 spline np241 on it FOR SCIENCE. Not like anyone will actually want this thing here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Comanche made it 25 miles home, I don't think I hurt the transmission.

Brothers ranger got 4 new balljoints, front shocks, reverse lamp switch and wiring corrected, 100% new steering linkages and gets new headlamp housings, one reverse lamp replaced (store was closed by the time we found it was burned out) and an alignment tomorrow morning.

Oh, unloaded the LQ9 at the hangar too. I'm going to get it ready to run or at least turn over next time and possibly slap my ECU and throttle body on it for testing.

I am loving beat. Why did I think doing this two days in a row was a good idea?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I am loving beat. Why did I think doing this two days in a row was a good idea?

Because in your head, you're still 25?

Same reason I've been ripping out carpet and particle board for 3 days to prep for new floors instead of in paying the contractor $2200 to do it. An eternity of ring shank nails...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That sounds... Yeah, perfectly accurate. I woke up today feeling even worse, and momentarily wondered if I was coming down with the rona. Then checked my Fitbit and, uh, it turns out I've walked 32 thousand steps, 410 floors, 16 miles and burned almost 12k calories in two days and slept 2.5 hours.

Whoops. At least both vehicles are now better and I didn't break anything important.

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

kastein posted:

That sounds... Yeah, perfectly accurate. I woke up today feeling even worse, and momentarily wondered if I was coming down with the rona. Then checked my Fitbit and, uh, it turns out I've walked 32 thousand steps, 410 floors, 16 miles and burned almost 12k calories in two days and slept 2.5 hours.

hahaha I couldn't even muster the strength to do the dishes last night.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Whoops. At least both vehicles are now better and I didn't break anything important.

Other than yourself...

edit: oh, right: "important."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That part grows back without a rockauto order, it'll be fine

Forget if I mentioned this but I expected to have to drive home in front wheel drive after my 4wd swap because I wasn't sure I would have a suitable driveshaft to modify to fit it.

Put it all together and was like hmmm, I wonder... :v::v::v:

And it fuckin fit almost perfectly.

So I guess a rear driveshaft for a 79 J10, with a seriously bobbed bed, and a shackle and leaf flip, and a 360+t18+d20 with cv yokes, and a 60s j20 offset 60, is drat near a perfect fit for a swb MJ with a 4.0, AW4, d35, and np231 with SYE. It's like a whopping half an inch too long but looks like it won't bottom out. I'll run it till I swap the rear springs and axle before I spend money on building a proper one.

Halfway through the headlights going in on the ranger today. He also got it aligned today and my lovely temporary eyeball alignment job was only about 1 degree off.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Same reason I've been ripping out carpet and particle board for 3 days to prep for new floors instead of in paying the contractor $2200 to do it. An eternity of ring shank nails...

Try jack hammering tile off of terrazzo in half your house and see how your back feels then. The amount of dust the old thinset made was loving ridiculous, I'm actually glad I did it tho because I did everything I could to mitigate the dust (box fan with an AC filter constantly running, plastic barriers, and a second person with a shop vac with a dust filter in it) and I highly doubt any contractor would have put that much effort into it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I swapped the two front tires on the Honcho today (what an achievement! :lol:) and finally got the ebrake hardware kit after pulling one side of the rear brakes apart last week to figure out which kit I needed because Ford used two different styles for no good reason and the only way to tell is by checking the door tag on the van the axle came from... Which was crushed nine years ago.

Couldn't resist trying out my lug stud installer I made even though I can't actually put new ones in till I drill a hole in the backing plate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XdXAgZDoMk

Hopefully I'll be picking up my holesaw from the hangar tomorrow and can get the rear studs and ebrake done as well as the rear tires swapped.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!
Screw baking soda and duct tape, Macguyver was a chump.

That is a fantastic improvised tool. Hell, that’s the kind of tool that, even with HF fit and finish, could easily be marketed and sold to mechanics/repair shops all over the place if it existed in any kind of production-esque form.

I’m inspired for the day. Thanks, Ken.

Time to find a way to un-gently caress the main tensioner on my bandsaw...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

Couldn't resist trying out my lug stud installer I made even though I can't actually put new ones in till I drill a hole in the backing plate:

That's slick as hell, I always hate doing those but that makes it look super easy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice. I have one of those stud tools that has a bearing in it that spins with the lug nut to pull in the stud but yours is way better, especially if you have a bunch of them to do

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I swapped the two front tires on the Honcho today (what an achievement! :lol:) and finally got the ebrake hardware kit after pulling one side of the rear brakes apart last week to figure out which kit I needed because Ford used two different styles for no good reason and the only way to tell is by checking the door tag on the van the axle came from... Which was crushed nine years ago.

Hopefully I'll be picking up my holesaw from the hangar tomorrow and can get the rear studs and ebrake done as well as the rear tires swapped.

I have got to get me one of those to use for all the things it's not intended for. And also the hydraulic bearing/gear puller.

For those without hydraulics, I found these for installing wheel studs:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9V5Y45
There's two sizes for "car" and "truck" studs. Cheap enough to replace a stack of greased washers.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nice. I have one of those stud tools that has a bearing in it that spins with the lug nut to pull in the stud but yours is way better, especially if you have a bunch of them to do

Kinda beaten? But I have a link.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Close, this is mine :v:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-22800-...tomotive&sr=1-2

More expensive equals better :colbert:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ok so any tricks other that putting the hub on a press or BFH hammer to pop out old studs? Longer studs is on the to-do list for the locost this spring because they are WAY too short. Just Miata hubs and hasn't seen much weather so it shouldn't be too bad but every trick helps.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nah, a hammer has always worked fine for me but I live in Florida :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Hammer is my usual go to. I was always worried about damaging the bearings but it doesn't take much. They make tools to push them out but I've never had good luck fitting them onto the hub flange.

I probably wouldn't have bothered making this tool but I have 16 to do and I hate dragging a lugnut over the threads of a brand new stud the whole way in, so I tossed this together. I'm glad it's giving people ideas - it's my favorite rarely used tool. I bought it originally to cut knockout holes in panels while installing my home AC (it was barely more than a greenlee manual punch of just the size I needed) and then realized I could do NV4500 fifth gears, Subaru wheel bearings, Subaru lower balljoint removal, and lug stud installation (among other things - let your imagination run wild...) With it very easily. The sky is really the limit on this thing, I am gonna try using it for more stuff too. It really shines where you only have access from one side but can pull through the center of your parts, or need to pull something threaded out of a blind hole. And even better it's basically an exact copy of the greenlee hydraulic knockout tool right down to the thread size in the piston so if I wear it out, I can upgrade to the real deal next without having to remake adapters.

E: and yeah, the bearing thingy plus lugnut method is definitely the best non hydraulic method, I just already own this and wanna use it for everything :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Does that one have a bearing? The incredibly bad pictures and description don't make that clear. I have the one I posted in my Tools wish list and not the Lisle because it's not clear, though in retrospect I guess I should trust Lisle to make a decent tool.

edit: yeah, customer pictures show the back side, which shows the bearing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah plus it has a deep recess to really hold in the lugnut well that's why I got that one, it just looked better designed. Works awesome with the cordless impact.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's slick as hell, I always hate doing those but that makes it look super easy.

and i'm still pulling the hub and taking it to my press!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Why take the hub to the press when you can take the press to the hub? :v:

I think I'm gonna try and get the studs, ebrake, and rear tires done later today.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Thursday was EVENTFUL.

My buddy Jack and I won a bunch of industrial surplus at auction Wednesday, and I volunteered to drive 2 hours to Concord NH to pick it all up. Naturally I woke up late because of who I am as a person, so I had to cut 15 minutes off a 2 hour GPS estimate. Not to worry, I got this. So I hop in the blue MJ and hit the highway at what counts for lightspeed in it. Made it all the way to Nashua before I decided to pass a town cop on rt3 at the same speed 4 other people passed him at, forgetting my out of state plates made me more of a target. Naturally, I got pulled over, but only got a verbal warning luckily. Go to start the truck and... Clunk. gently caress.

Try again and the starter whirs but doesn't crank the engine, so I crawl under with a random blunt object to smack it and... What the gently caress? Why is my starter hanging by the wires?

Turns out tightening the starter bolts after swapping the trans is important. They vibrated out after about 100 miles it seems.

I sent this to Jack without any explanation and then went radio silent for like ten minutes. He knows me so he was immediately assuming I needed bail money. April fool's came early this year I guess.

Anyways, cop drops me at the closest parts store and I buy bolts and wrenches and hoof it back out to the jeep.

At least it looks cool broken down I guess.

I get to Concord and holy goddamn I bought a lot of taps. I didn't realize this endmill or the larger taps were this large.

For scale:

This is a murder weapon, not an endmill.

44mm tap? I don't know what I'm going to ever use this for.

One of Jack's winnings was 1987s finest 3 axis cnc controller. Here is a servo amp from it.

And the main control board which is :krad:

Spent most of the day sorting something like 200 taps. I have a lot more sizes now, and a lifetime supply of 5/16 18unc and 24unf.

Yesterday I finally got the rear lug studs pressed in on the Honcho. First order of business, step-drill an access hole so I don't have to pull the shaft and hub to get studs in and out.

(Warning: boring rear end video, in which I do the same thing 8 times and ramble about nothing important.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7JmgOSMGLI

Did the ebrake shoes and put the new rear wheels and tires on finally now that the lug studs won't immediately gently caress up the threads on my new lugnuts.

Crapcan fleet status: 8 vehicles, 5 run and drive, 4 for sale, one awaiting sawzall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

Thursday was EVENTFUL.

My buddy Jack and I won a bunch of industrial surplus at auction Wednesday, and I volunteered to drive 2 hours to Concord NH to pick it all up. Naturally I woke up late because of who I am as a person, so I had to cut 15 minutes off a 2 hour GPS estimate. Not to worry, I got this. So I hop in the blue MJ and hit the highway at what counts for lightspeed in it. Made it all the way to Nashua before I decided to pass a town cop on rt3 at the same speed 4 other people passed him at, forgetting my out of state plates made me more of a target. Naturally, I got pulled over, but only got a verbal warning luckily. Go to start the truck and... Clunk. gently caress.

Try again and the starter whirs but doesn't crank the engine, so I crawl under with a random blunt object to smack it and... What the gently caress? Why is my starter hanging by the wires?

Turns out tightening the starter bolts after swapping the trans is important. They vibrated out after about 100 miles it seems.

I sent this to Jack without any explanation and then went radio silent for like ten minutes. He knows me so he was immediately assuming I needed bail money. April fool's came early this year I guess.

LOL he was probably wondering if the ATM was gonna give him enough money for whatever poo poo you got into.
I wish I'd known about this, Concord is just a hop up 93 for me.
And yes, Don't speed in NH, especially if you have red license plates...